• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you played with your Parents?

I was having a beer with my Dad the other day, and he mentioned how we used to play games together back when I first got my PS2

Specifically:

Ico
The EA Lord of the Rings games
The old Harry Potter games

I remember seriously enjoying playing them with him, and in fact I'm pretty sure that playing together is what got me into playing big time in the first place. Do you guys have memories of playing games with you parents?

Ruruja

Only game I ever played with my mum was International Track & Field for the PlayStation. She was monstrous at it and I still use her technique to this day.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My dad used to play the hell out of Jaws for the NES. One time he grinded himself to max level, then paused the game, and picked me up early from a friend's so he could show me.

My Dad, Brother, and I used to play a ton of Super Mario Kart around the time it came out. Usually battle mode. Oh man good times...

After that my Dad and I played Total Annihilation together in the house on a LAN a number of times. Those were always funny hearing each other jokingly getting mad at each other's attacks.

Other than that I played Animal Crossing New Leaf with both my Mom and Dad a lot...they still play a ton of it hah.

none
ain't nobody got time for that
image.php

TMC

I remember playing WCW vs nWo: World Tour back on N64 with my dad. Such great times. He never really played any video games outside of that.

None. My father couldn't sit still long enough to play a game. He always had to be working on some project somewhere because that's how he do. My mother just didn't have any interest in them.

My parents were fairly neutral towards games, but would always play if I asked them. The big three we would always play:

NES Tetris
Super Mario Bros. 3
Blades of Steel

Good times!

Brashnir

With my dad:

Combat, Warlords on the 2600.

Also played Fields of Glory on PC in the mid 90s.

Along with tons and tons of board and card games with both parents.

It's basically a family event when a new Zelda title comes out: me and my sister actually play it, our parents chip in with puzzle solutions and stuff we may have missed.

I also played through Red Dead Redemption with my dad because he adores spaghetti westerns, and LA Noire with my mum because she loves detective shows. Both went down extremely well.

Daingurse

I remember when I got my mom to play Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore once. My mom never plays games, but this one time she humored me and my bro. Lol was an interesting experience.

Nose Master

My dad and I took turns in some random racing game back when until we beat it. Need for Speed something. Mario Kart 64 was also our jam.

Mifec

My late dad bought me my original ps and we played mgs on it, played a lot of games in between too. Then he bought me the mgs2 edition ps2 and we played that and even more games on it. Mgs will always have a special place in my heart due to that.

MavFan619

Banned
Mostly Tetris score beating. My mom did have a phase where she wanted to play Goldeneye a lot. My dad used to carry me to play the Terminator arcade game.

Regginator

They never were interested in games and still aren't, but my dad (who literally has ZERO experience) saw the 10-year old non-English speaking me struggling with Gohma and I shit you not, he didn't know what he was doing and he managed to hurt him (
stunning him and slashing the sword
). After seeing that's the key to victory, I quickly took back the controller and beat him.

The first and only time. Great memories.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I always played splitscreen Halo co-op with my dad, we've done that for every game so far. Never again :(

my Dad is the reason i play videogames at all. he was (still is, to an extent) a huge tech-geek in the 70s and 80s. i can still remember the family trip to Montgomery Wards to buy the NES with Contra and Castlevania II.

we played a LOT of games together (Contra being one of them). the one's i have the best memories of with him are:

-Final Fight
-Streets of Rage
-Forgotten Worlds (we played this one a LOT)
-Super Mario Bros 2
-Captain America and the Avengers
-Doom (i mostly watched or we took turns)
-The Konami Track and Field games

eventually he kind of grew tired of games, and developed arthritis in his hands so the ever-growing number of buttons on controllers became difficult for him to deal with. he still plays games on the PC from time to time. mostly Skyrim.

my Mom plays games, but mostly PopCap style puzzle/score games. she played a lot of Millipede/Centipede in the NES days. the only time i can say we played a game 'together' would be her watching me play through most of Final Fantasy VIII (she liked Squall for some reason) or Wii bowling a few times.

Phu

Banned
Used to play a fair amount of Rock Band with my dad, especially The Beatles version.

We also tried Arkham Asylum but he just couldn't get the hang of controlling things.

My mom won't even look at a video game.

Anth0ny

"stop playing video games, go outside"

"stop playing video games, do your homework"

"stop playing video games, you're an adult"

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
horseshoes
jarts
pool

clearly this thread is aimed at a younger crowd :|

I am 99% sure my dad never played a single video game ever short of Golden Tee at the bar. Though for a frame of reference, he passed when the PS2 was less than two years old, and already had a family of 6 before the 2600 launched.

Played Parappa and Mario with mom within I was a kid. She gave PT a shot too when it came out.

My dad used to kick me and my brothers' asses in Street Fighter with Chun Li when we were kids.

Muffdraul

I have a fuzzy memory of playing Simon Says on the original Magnavox Odyssey with my mom when I was 3 years old. And I remember my dad and me playing doubles on Star Hawk in the arcade in our local mall when I was probably 8 or 9. He was totally baffled by it and quit in the middle of it. Suffice it to say they were not at all into video games.

eMpTy23

At home, my dad would sometimes play Mario Kart 64 with me. I don't remember him being very good, but it was always a blast playing with him briefly.

We would pretty regularly go to the arcade around the time I was 9-12. These he absolutely destroyed me in. Racing games, shooting games... It didn't matter. I loved going to the arcade with him.

Klaymen

Neo Member
One of my favorite childhood memories is playing through The Neverhood with my dad. It was really fun figuring out some of the puzzles together

Quite a few actually, so I'll focus on the ones we finished.

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Adventure Island
Contra
Life Force
A Boy and his Blob
Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers
Gradius III
R-Type III
Tiger-Heli
Super Mario World
Tom & Jerry

There are a few more, but you get the gist. My parents and grandparents were big gamers when I was younger. My mom still plays occasionally, but mostly the classics. Last weekend we played a bit of Contra together. My grandmother still has her SNES connected to her TV.

Fantomas

The only ones I could ever get my dad to play were the old golf games on Sega Genesis. They had easy controls and he loves golf.

My grandma used to play Super Mario with me and my cousins back in the day though, she thought it was great!

Top Bottom