• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you played with your Parents?

Selrach

Neo Member
I played some DriveClub with my dad up to last week. He's a bit of a car guy and asked me about any driving games when I got my ps4 last month so I bought it with the price drop, was fun him playing the role of semi navigator and giving advice on how the car should be handled he isn't into games any more (almost hates them at times) but hopefully I'll get him to take up the controller some time. Back in the day we would take turns playing flight simulator on pc and racing in Gran Turismo one.

Looking at the list so far, I played with my mom:

Bayonetta
Limbo
Flower
Rain
Resident Evil
Braid
Super Mario Bros
Catherine
The Walking Dead
Lollipop Chainsaw
Madworld
Danganronpa
Splatoon
Silent HIll 2
Wind Waker HD
Muramasa

And a bunch of others.

.........That's all for Youtube though.

As far as actually playing games outside of that, I played the original Super Mario Bros with my dad a bunch. Also most of the Mario Kart games.

Not once have I ever played a videogame with my mom.

With my dad off the top of my head:
Some baseball game on the ATARI 2600 I vaguely remember
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Punch Out!! (NES)
TMNT2 (NES)
Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers (NES)
Tetris (NES and GB)
Pilotwings 64
Tetrisphere (N64)

xewind

I used to play Goldeneye 64 and Mario Karts 64 multiplayer with my mom, my cousin and sometimes my sister. We could easily spent the whole afternoon doing so. I also used to take turns with my mom to Tetris on the original Gameboy, trying to beat each other high score.

My dad liked more the oldschool games. So I used to play Pac Man with him on the SNES a lot. I always wanted to buy him the Namco Museum for PS2, mostly because of Pac-Man and Galaga but never managed to do so. Sadly he passed away 6 years ago.

I really do miss those times...

Adaren

Co-op split screen Halo 1 and 2.

I would also sit for hours and watch my dad play Half Life, Deus Ex, and NOLF. I played a bit sometimes, but mostly I just liked watching him play.

I used to play Little League Baseball with my dad on NES, but then he stopped playing because I was 6 and would pitch when he "wasn't ready". lol

However, he started playing with me again sometime later when I showed him Test Drive 5. We'd watch either other race and watch replays....it was a lot of fun.

My mom used to watch me play MGS3. She said it was exciting and fun to watch.

And I played Naruto UNS3 with my dad once. Didn't last long even though he wasn't that bad at it. He doesn't like games.

All of my Atari age (from 3 to 6 years old) was with my father. My mother never played games. So all classics (River Raid, Enduro, Pitfall, etc) were played with the old man.

He also was there on the beginning of my NES playing, so Mario 1 to 3, Road Fighter, Load Runner, Castlevania, Excite Bike, Prince of Persia are among the ones the old man played with me.

After that it was me and friends..

My little brother, my dad, and myself would play Turok together while my mom watched. We had a lot of fun! I was probably 8 or 9 haha.

graboids

My Dad played 2600 and NES games with me and my Brother a lot, he even used graph paper, a lot of graph paper, to make a huge detailed map of the Legend of Zelda while we played... not much after the NES era, except for golf games in the mid 2000s.

realsports_baseball.png

I'm pretty certain that I've never played a single video game with my Mom. Dad and I used to play a fair bit of Super Mario Bros./Duckhunt. And, we've played a TON of Guitar Hero. He loves it to this day.

DeSolos

My dad playing the shareware version of Doom in front of me when I was like 3 is what introduced me to videogames, but I've never played anything with him and he never has really been interested in gaming since.

I got my mom to hold my N64 controller and push Yoshi forward for like 7 seconds in Yoshi's story, and that was the end of her gaming career.

On a related note, my cat glanced at the screen for a bit during a cutscene when I was playing the Lion King world of Kingdom Hearts II.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
my parents use to have toga parties and play mouse trap on the family commodore 64. They were 23, I was 8, it was the 80's !!!!!

playing with them, never really happened for some reason.

scamander

Banned
Did you try new Wii U games or games on virtual console that your father remembered?

New games (which probably was a mistake). We tried Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. The last one was clearly too hard for him, but he wanted to try. Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D world were fun, but not comparable to the fun we used to have. I guess he just isn't into it that much anymore and maybe I was expecting too much.
We did play a few times, but did go back to board games like Catan or Castles of Burgundy very soon after that.

MikeyH

Neo Member
Played Daley Thompson Decathlon on the commodore 64 when i was about 3. This is my earliest gaming memory and played a lot of games with my parents since!

I used to play Dr. Mario with my mom all the time. We both got pretty good, but it pretty much stopped when the NES crapped out. Mom refuses to learn how to use any other controllers, so she doesn't play games anymore outside of Solitaire. Years later, when I was in college, a friend of a friend claimed that he was some kind of Dr. Mario bad ass that couldn't be beat. I mopped the floor with him. I'm pretty confident my mom would've done the same.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Mario Brothers, Mario 3, Marble Madness, Super Mario Cart, Donkey Kong Jr, Donkey Kong Country 1-3. Mario 64 & Mario Cart 64 and of course Tetris. This is all with my Dad.

Anarki

Originally we played katerpillar attack on the Dragon 32. Amongst other games on that system.

We then played the shit outta flashback on the megadrive along with sonic and plenty more.

The most fun we had however was V-Rally on the PlayStation. Hours spent improving on each other's lap times. I could never beat the time he set on the Corsica track the motherfucker :)

kingwingin

My dad played super Mario brothers with my older brother back in the late 80's and when I was 12 he bought me an n64 and we payed Mario kart for a bit.

My dad played a lot of diablo back in the day, not sure if he still games. Haven't spoken to him in years

I've been playing video games since the late 70's.

However, I would have to choose Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Smash TV as the two games my dad and I played together the most often and most hardcore. That was during the snes era.

We also still play WoW together, over a decade since launch.

My mom would play Super Mario 64, and the Crash Bandicoot games on the Playstation with us when my brother and I were kids. She and my dad would play arcade games with us like Dig Dug, Galaga, and this weird Centipede game on the PS. There was also Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash, Super Smash Bros and Melee and Pokémon Coleseum.

They also played the crash mode in Burnout 3, Wii Sports, Links Crossbow Training, Mario Kart Wii, and some other Wii games I can't remember with us.

Now they might play Mario Kart 8, but they pretty much say that since my brother and I always win they just focus on racing each other. They won't come near Smash 4.

I did beat Halo 3 with my mom though, and now she plays Animal Crossing New Leaf with us.

Besides all that my dad only ever played fighting games with us.

FZW

My Mum loved playing Columns on Mega Drive. :)

My and my aunt played Super Columns on the game gear a lot back in the day.

We played plenty of Super Mario Bros. too

Me and my uncles competed against each others lap times in the Bizarre Creations F1 racing games on the PS1

And also Gran Turismo 1&2, Collin Mcrae Rally and The PS1 Need for Speed games.

I now play tons of Killer Instinct with my son

MoosiferX

Played a lot of Knights & Chalices, the original Duke Nukem, and King/Heroes Quest with my old man. I feel pretty lucky that my parents were both supportive/into gaming.

Disney's Hercules (mom was godlike during the Hydra and harpy sections)
Gunmetal (took turns, I wish they remastered this!)
Nightcaster (took turns)
Halo CE co-op on Legendary
Diablo 2 Battle.net (we even had 2 computers side-by-side)
Socom 1/2/3 (took turns online)
Gears of War
COD Black Ops Zombies
Dark Souls 1/2

They're both 51 now, thank the old gods and the new for gamer parents. My dad can't wait to finally get a PS4 in time for Ghost Recon Wildlands :/

We played Mortal Kombat 1 and NBA Jams on PS1

The only game my father played with me in my youth was Nintendo World Cup

Good times. We played a shit ton of board games and chess, tho.
The classic.I would buy a Wii U version of this.
I need a Wii U too lol

Jachaos

Too many to name them all. They got me into games from a young age and have played most of the ones I played when I was young with me.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
None with my parents but me & my daughter loved us some SH1,2 PT, and all horror type games on PS4 we have alot of scary fun together lol

Shes really annoyed about what has happened to SH nextgen...

Oogedei

Quite a lot. My mom used to play games like Crash Bandicoot, Tekken, Racing Games etc. on my PS1 with me or we would play games on the Gameboy Color together (like Pokemon). She never let me win in Tekken though! Showed no mercy when I finally grew up a bit and learned how to win :p
My dad never cared for games though.

Top Bottom