• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesIndustry.biz: Where are the Xbox One's exclusives?

Purest 78

Because there is a mighty long gap between those games and those are the only exclusives Nintendo and Sony have. Those are once a generation type of games at this point. How many Forza's have come out on the Xbox One?

4 Forza games in about 3 years.

LiquidSolid

http://www.ign.com/companies/moon-studios
http://oriandtheblindforest.wikia.com/wiki/Moon_Studios

In 2011, Moon Studios became a Microsoft First Party Developer and announced it was working on Ori and the Blind Forest, which was released on March 11th, 2015 for Xbox One and PC via Steam. A version for the Xbox 360 is due to be released at the end of the year. Ori and the Blind Forest received overwhelmingly high praise, a fantastic debut for Moon Studios.

Wedzi

Banned
Nope, started with Reach and Judgement. We actually just had a thread about Gears specifically, too, where this was discussed.

And the "small userbase" excuse doesn't hold up when Gears 1 and Halo 3 both had relatively small bases to work with on 360, yet both ended up doing better than Gears 4 and Halo 5 despite the Xbone having higher sales than the 360 launch-aligned.

Check this:

As of now, it's a trend. That isn't to say the series can't rebound or even do better than they ever have, but that remains to be seen.

Halo 4 was/is the best selling Microsoft Studios game.
https://www.google.com/amp/news.xbox.com/2013/07/03/games-halo-4-top-seller/amp/?client=safari
I don't think the Halo well is as dry as some people are making it out to be. Gears different story though. But all complaints about MS first party studios and output completely valid.

Edit: Correction site says US only I assume Halo 3 (and possibly Reach sold more world wide). Other points still stand.

Halo 4 was/is the best selling Microsoft Studio game.
https://www.google.com/amp/news.xbox.com/2013/07/03/games-halo-4-top-seller/amp/?client=safari
I don't think the Halo well is as dry as some people are making it out to be. Gears different story though. But all complaints about MS first party studios and output completely valid.
Re-read that quote:
Exciting news for the Halo team at 343 Industries and Microsoft Studios – critically acclaimed, “Halo 4” is now the best-selling Microsoft Studios title ever in the U.S. market*, surpassing its predecessor, “Halo 3” for sales during each respective launch year.

If you don't own it then it is not first party.

Right, so Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and so on weren't first party N64 games? Do you think Spider-Man isn't a first party game too, just because Sony doesn't own the Spider-Man IP?

Sunset Overdrive is a first party game. Microsoft funded its development and own the publishing rights to it.

Chris1

I could totally see an underperforming multiplat being locked down for a sequel should Microsoft be willing to pony up.

Titanfall 3
Watch Dogs 3

Are two off the top of my head that they could potentially have a crack at.

I was talking about money hatting the game, IF Titanfall 3 is exclusive, it'd be a matter of EA not wanting to fund the game and MS funding it. I wouldn't call that a money hat. But yeah Titanfall is a possibility. That's also why I didn't list stuff like Dead Rising 5.

And Watch Dogs 3.. no chance
Not sure why people expect a Ori 2 really. Way to soon imo.

It was leaked last year, Ori and the will of the wisps or something. Was rumoured to be shown E3 2016, but that never happened.

I was talking about money hatting the game, IF Titanfall 3 is exclusive, it'd be a matter of EA not wanting to fund the game and MS funding it. I wouldn't call that a money hat. But yeah Titanfall is a possibility. That's also why I didn't list stuff like Dead Rising 5.

And Watch Dogs 3.. no chance

It was leaked last year, Ori and the will of the wisps or something. Was rumoured to be shown E3 2016, but that never happened.

Did Thomas not mention on here a while back that they were prototyping new game ideas?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Companies like Platinum(Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Scalebound despite the cancellation) and Insomniac(Sunset Overdrive, Spider Man, Ratchet and Clank) are guns for hire and don't have the flexibility financially to pour in all their resources in one title without the exclusive sticker or backing of Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo etc.

By "third-party exclusive" I mean "a game published by a third party that is exclusive to a particular platform". A game that results from a third-party developer partnering with a platform holder is technically a first-party title, although the waters are a little muddied in cases like Sunset Overdrive as it's not the platform holder that owns the game/IP.

Top Bottom