• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To Dead Rising 4

duckroll

Capcom (and those developing for the series under Capcom), there's a better way to handle this whole timer debacle. Design the game around the timer, then include an optional mode/setting that removes it. Stop trying to do the opposite!

It's just that simple. Oh, well, and stop dumbing down everything else in the process.

The timer is the least of the game's problems for me. I mean, yes, I think the timer is important but only in the sense that I'm more hardcore about what I liked out of the original DR. But even a more "casual" DR could be fun... if it's what the series was supposed to be about.

I liked Dead Rising because it was a wacky localized "open world" roguelike. The first two games picked familiar consumer-ish environments which were ripe for the satire on capitalism that the series was founded on. That was the one thing which I feel the series started to go away from and led to the downfall of everything else. I don't believe most fans of Dead Rising thought "damn it would be cool if this was like every other open world game and took place in a whole city!"

We could have:
- theme park
- aquarium
- convention center
- airport
- cruise ship

I could go on and on. Interesting locations which have content density instead of being wider for the sake of just being a "city" like every other open world game. But no, nope. Can't have that.

Fuck Capcom.

Dead Rising 1 is a classic. Everything after just falls short. The further Capcom deviates from the original, the less I'm interested in the series.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The problem wasn't its accessibility. The third game was "more accessible" and it was great.

This game just isn't really that good. Can't put my finger on why it doesn't seem as good as the third game (currently playing through the free trial).

Anung

Un Rama
As much as they say they returned to the games roots (and they wouldn't let us forget it) they broadened the games appeal so much that it didn't appeal to me anymore and cramming in as many branding elements as they couldn't wasn't going to change that.

So... The lesson they learned...is...um... To release more DLC? lol Mmmmkay. (and I'm one of the dirty plebes who actually really likes DR4 for what it is...but come on Capcom...).

Jawmuncher

I doubt they can do much to fix DR4 at this point. Sounds like their approach will be to keep touching up the Xbox and PC game, so when it releases on PS4 it'll be the "definitive" version much like Rise of the Tomb Raider last year.

The higher difficulty addition was a good attempt. But it misses the mark. A lot of the feedback they're taking seems to be at face value and not much more. "Oh people want the game harder, ok let's up the damage of enemies, and make weapons break quicker" without really thinking about the overall game. It reminds me much of nightmare mode in DR3. An afterthought so they can just try to appease some fans since they think that's all they want.

I'm curious how the overtime mode DLC will be. That's more or less the last chance for them to show they still have something to offer with this series. If we do get a Dead Rising 5, I hope they take inspiration from RE7. Just in the sense that bigger isn't always better.

Bring back the campaign coop, make the game more about survival and leveling up like the first game. Bring back the interactivity. The crowbcat video had a lot of good points it made, especially on smaller things that could go a long way to add to the game.

The problem wasn't its accessibility. The third game was "more accessible" and it was great.

This game just isn't really that good. Can't put my finger on why it doesn't seem as good as the third game (currently playing through the free trial).

I think a big part is that they dumbed it down even more from the third game. Which was already scaling back from DR1 and 2. To me 3 was the furthest back you can go and still really feel like older Dead Rising. 4 goes even further back and it just doesn't work out.

The timer is the least of the game's problems for me. I mean, yes, I think the timer is important but only in the sense that I'm more hardcore about what I liked out of the original DR. But even a more "casual" DR could be fun... if it's what the series was supposed to be about.

I liked Dead Rising because it was a wacky localized "open world" roguelike. The first two games picked familiar consumer-ish environments which were ripe for the satire on capitalism that the series was founded on. That was the one thing which I feel the series started to go away from and led to the downfall of everything else. I don't believe most fans of Dead Rising thought "damn it would be cool if this was like every other open world game and took place in a whole city!"

We could have:
- theme park
- aquarium
- convention center
- airport
- cruise ship

I could go on and on. Interesting locations which have content density instead of being wider for the sake of just being a "city" like every other open world game. But no, nope. Can't have that.

Fuck Capcom.

Yep. They really gotta get off this idea of more is better. Every locale you mentioned sounds better than what we got in 3 and 4. Like oh wow a city? Like I've never played a zombie game that took place there /s. The more unique locales could add so much. Especially when it comes to the interacitivy which made DR1 so great. Better to craft a smaller area with love and care, than a big mess you decide to just plop and place stuff wherever .

LowSignal

I bought it day one but it only cost me $40, I really enjoyed it. It was a lot easier than any other DR4 and it felt more like a hack a slash game than survival that the others where. It's rough changing the formula on something, you can stay the same and become stale, change the wrong thing and upset people, or you evolve a good product.

Jawmuncher

I bought it day one but it only cost me $40, I really enjoyed it. It was a lot easier than any other DR4 and it felt more like a hack a slash game than survival that the others where. It's rough changing the formula on something, you can stay the same and become stale, change the wrong thing and upset people, or you evolve a good product.

I think they need a better balance. The changes in DR4 I don't think were really for the better. Not even caring about the timer, but a lot of DR4 was focused on "do crazy stuff and kill zombies in crazy ways" which was never really what DR was about. Even DR2 and DR3 that incorporated more crazy weapons still felt reserved compared to 4.

duckroll

Yep. They really gotta get off this idea of more is better. Every locale you mentioned sounds better than what we got in 3 and 4. Like oh wow a city? Like I've never played a zombie game that took place there /s. The more unique locales could add so much. Especially when it comes to the interacitivy which made DR1 so great. Better to craft a smaller area with love and care, than a big mess you decide to just plop and place stuff wherever .

The saddest part of all this is, we hate Capcom because we loved Capcom. It's a unique blend of misery. Why can't they just make the games they are good at and what people loved them for, instead of trying to make things which... won't get them anywhere? :(

OniBaka

The saddest part of all this is, we hate Capcom because we loved Capcom. It's a unique blend of misery. Why can't they just make the games they are good at and what people loved them for, instead of trying to make things which... won't get them anywhere? :(

Exactly, such a shame.

Hero

It's so sad to see what the series became after DR1. I even liked DR2. But 3 and 4? Fuck you, Capcom.

kc44135

I still haven't played the game, as everything I've seen of it just makes it seem like it's not what I want from Dead Rising (basically, I just want something in the style of 1 and 2). That said, was DR4 really that bad? The way some of you guys are talking about 4 make it sound terrible, and it's hard to believe Capcom could so completely miss the mark here. Should I still give it a shot at some point? It surely can't be a DMC 2/Dino Crisis 3 level disappointment, right?

Terrell

Pretty sad how far this company has fallen over the last decade.

I'd agree if they didn't do this to themselves.

While it's an oversimplification, the addage that has been said about publishers for some time now holds true: they'd rather have none of the money than some of the money if they can't make ALL the money.

The principle behind these decisions is that Capcom knows it cannot get "ALL the money" with their current design principles with some of their series. It's just not possible.
And with them having so many years of Monster Hunter being all that keeps them afloat and them sinking a ton of money into on-site developers after years of divesting themselves of them in lieu of Western collaborations that didn't pan out, Capcom needs money.
So they make the same tragic mistake as every other publisher by thinking that as long as it has a familiar IP name, they can do whatever misguided thing they think they need to in order to drum up more sales of a game. It typically ends badly for said publishers, but the lesson is rarely learned.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It does seem to be a strange example of a company literally ignoring market trends or operating in reverse of them.

I mean just watching E3 interviews last year with the dev team it seemed immediately clear that Capcom was completely out of touch and was following very dated logic. I believe they were called out quite a bit at the time(even in a few interviews), but by then it was far too late do anything. There really was zero chance a game like this could catch on, it should have surprised no one.

labaronx

Perfectly summed up

Sesha

I'm glad Capcom is throwing all of their mistakes out first (SFV, DR4), that way games like DMC5 and RE2 Remake won't suffer in similar ways, hopefully.

pa22word

The game did like 350k in December while it was on fire sale everywhere like a week after launch and didn't even chart this month.

Considering capcom wanted like 2m by march I don't see how you call this anything but a colossal failure.

Good riddance. How capcom can release a game like dr4 and then a month later release re7 is beyond me, two games that follow the complete opposite production philosophy of one making a unique experience that rejoices in what makes it special and the other being the most blatant attempt in years of a series hitting rock bottom by the developers turning it into the most generic shit possible.

They need to shitcan everyone involved on the high level production end of dr4 and start from scratch, reboot is probably necessary at this point to salvage it after they just completely flatlined with their ace in the hole series location and main character.

Sesha

You'd think after DmC Capcom would have learned not to water down their non-RE action franchises in order to chase a wider market that ultimately doesn't care.

in a post-dark souls, post-rogue legacy, post-ftl world, a game that played closer to the original Dead Rising would be way better received.

Astral Dog

I seriously cannot express how much joy it gives me to see this miserable company struggle to explain to their shareholders how they are failing. Not only have they consistently made poor decisions which have alienated me from their franchises one after another since 2010, but they continue to remain one of the most embarrassing examples of nepotism in the Japanese game industry. Capcom can blow me, and until they make games I care about again, every failure they suffer just powers my schadenfreude energy beam.
. :(

its not so bad as of late, Resident Evil is (very slowly) getting back to its roots and Devil May Cry finally getting reasurrected from the ashes, with MVC 4 on the way i can forgive one or two hideous Dead Rising games

I wonder what Microsoft thinks of paying for year-long console exclusivity of this game.

Didn't Tomb Raider have really low initial sales?

It's a shame they put money towards these while canceling so many exclusives.

Jawmuncher

its not so bad as of late, Resident Evil is (very slowly) getting back to its roots and Devil May Cry finally getting reasurrected from the ashes, with MVC 4 on the way i can forgive one or two hideous Dead Rising games

Duck roll doesn't want RE going back to roots though.
Regardless we'll see. Right now I know personally my relationship with capcom is one of abuse. I buy everything they do, but they have not impressed me like they had last gen. When their remasters are the best thing for me in their current lineup, it's sad.

Completely agree. It's really sad to see. At least RE7 appeals to some so they're at least not at a complete loss. But I really hope they get back on track, especially for appealing to those like us.

Astral Dog

You'd think after DmC Capcom would have learned not to water down their non-RE action franchises in order to chase a wider market that ultimately doesn't care.

lots of people actually care about DmC for one or another reason "best DMC!" "coolest Dante!" i wonder how they will keep that part of the series going, maybe another DmC after DMC 5 is done

Astral Dog

Duck roll doesn't want RE going back to roots though.
Regardless we'll see. Right now I know personally my relationship with capcom is one of abuse. I buy everything they do, but they have not impressed me like they had last gen. When their remasters are the best thing for me in their current lineup, it's sad.

Completely agree. It's really sad to see. At least RE7 appeals to some so they're at least not at a complete loss. But I really hope they get back on track, especially for appealing to those like us.

as long as there are talented people workin at Capcom i still hold hope, they will never again be the creative, stellar company they were at one time, but they still have some of the best developers and series around.
keep thatt light going :)

lots of people actually care about DmC for one or another reason "best DMC!" "coolest Dante!" i wonder how they will keep that part of the series going, maybe another DmC after DMC 5 is done

Didn't they change the ending in the definitive version to make it less open-ended?

duckroll

I'm not excited for RE going back to "horror" at all, we've seen jack shit from DMC, and the new MvC looks further and further from what I loved about MvC2. Not sure what I have to look forward to from Capcom these days.

Besides the game lacking any interesting play/exploration/discovery that I loved the original Dead Rising for, the tone is just completely off for me. I'm just repeating myself, but I liked the surreal humor present in the narrative, sidequests (psychos) and environment as the comedy in the early games. The comedy in DR4 is simply the rebooted Frank making quips during a story that's played thoroughly straight and then the weapons being over-the-top, awesomely wacky - and that juxtaposition (which I don't think is done mindfully) is tacky.

Capcom Vancouver made the most bottle episode feeling video game of this genre/scale I've played since Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Revelations (feels weird even comparing DR to that brand of open world game). Capcom Vancouver has earned the aversion I had for an era of AAA Ubisoft.

So, yeah, do something positive about this Capcom.

It needs the story and humor to make itself stand out from the millions of survival games.

Souls games are at a point where they are vastly accessible. We understand the genre better now compared to when Demon Souls came out.

Yeah of course, story/humor and great characters is also what made DR1 stand out. It had a perfect blend of comedy and desperation. I just thought that the lacking in challenge and meaning was the biggest issue with DR3 and 4.

as long as there are talented people workin at Capcom i still hold hope, they will never again be the creative, stellar company they were at one time, but they still have some of the best developers and series around.
keep thatt light going :)

Eh. The new Resident Evil was spectacular. Monster Hunter 4 was spectacular. Dragon's Dogma (I guess this is a bit too old to use as an example) was spectacular. Capcom still has it.

Top Bottom