• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: More Games Should Do This | Custom Difficulty

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The System Shock Remake brings back the original game's forward-thinking difficulty system, that lets you create a personal tailor made experience.

Most video game difficulties are basic and restrictive. Easy, Medium Hard. Shouldn’t games offer more flexibility for players? Well, it's not as new of a concept as you might think. It fact the idea’s been around since 1994. Almost 30 years ago the original system shock offered a custom difficulty that let players tweak individual accepts of the game to create their ideal gameplay experience. And now the new remake offers the same thing, and I’m gonna use it as an example of how games can do more with difficulty.

Kilau

A lot of this stuff is in modern games, just through the accessibility options, not difficulty.

I like it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The fundamental issue with difficulty settings is that I do not know what I am selecting before I play the game, and adding more options doesn't help that. In fact it makes it worse.

I get the idea behind difficulty, but usually I end up having to research it before I start a game which is so, so dumb if you think about it. I'm fully on board one difficulty level, whether it is Kirby or Dark Souls, and the dev decides how the game should be played.

Last edited:

apowhungo

More options there are less power devs have to make a satisfying experience.
Excuse Me What GIF by Naughty Dog

Kadve

Always liked the way Spyro 3 handled difficulty (not sure if any other game had it). The better you did the harder it became and the worse you did the easier.

ungalo

I don't want to tweak settings to create my difficulty, sounds absurd.

edit : also hate when the difficulty adapt automatically, reminds me of The Last Remnant

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
A lot of this stuff is in modern games, just through the accessibility options, not difficulty.

I like it.

Exactly. This is obvious in roleplaying games like WRATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS (where you can tweak every single campaign parameter) or strategy games, but even open world games like the maligned UBI-openworlds allow you to tweak certain parameters independent of a global difficulty setting.

. . .the way it is done in the SS remake is definitely good (I'll admit I raised an eyebrow at the options and thought "Oh, this is cool" when I started a game), but this article reads like someone who is more blinded by how clever the options are presented, and thus unable to "see" the other games that have also done this, instead of just outright not being aware of this trend in modern gaming.

Loke

Soldier of Fortune 1 had a cool custom difficulty option in which you could alter how many saves the player could utilize, aggressiveness of the enemy AI, how many items you could carry, how many enemies would spawn during gameplay and if you could activate cheats.

mopspear

I really think a lot of optional things in games would work so much better if they actually gave a long explanation with examples on what will happen if you choose them. Pictures and video and bullet points etc. One example is in RE2 remake when you turn on different graphics options, they show you what difference it makes in the little picture of the police station plus how much power it consumes. Developers want to make things so clean looking and simple. It's like they're afraid to have too much text explaining anything.

Dynasty8

Agreed with this. I never want to experience GoW Ragnarok's NPCs constantly blabbering and telling me how dumb I am for not being able to solve a puzzle in the first 5 seconds of entering a room...treating us like chimpanzees who need our hands held throughout each puzzle. For a game that won an award on assesibility features, I still can't believe we couldn't turn that off.

Last of Us 2 on grounded enemy difficulty with normal difficulty loot and aggressive friendly A.I. is perfection. It makes your partner feel much closer to a real person in co-op.

Portugeezer

I tried it in Ghost Recon Breakpoint and I didn't like all the options, to be fair.

I preder to know what the intended experience is from the developers.

Sorry, I hate this crap.

I'd rather every game have one default difficulty and maybe a harder one for NG+.

Some games are hard. Some are easy. It's all fine. The game difficulty should be part of the overall package and design of the game.

Someone gets the ending of Sekiro, they earned it. No participation award.

Someone beats Celeste, they either conquered a challenging game, or more likely, at the first sign of resistance, they turned on cheats and water-down the experience.

Not every game needs to be for everyone. But, when you're confident in your vision, including challenge level, you might be surprised that the audience is bigger than anticipated. Look at Elden Ring.

GymWolf

Last of Us 2 on grounded enemy difficulty with normal difficulty loot and aggressive friendly A.I. is perfection. It makes your partner feel much closer to a real person in co-op.
Nah, resources should stay at grounded or the level above that at best, if you have ammo to spare the game turn into an absolute cakewalk.

Also i prefer zombie companions, for the same reason, they should only act as a distraction, not actively killing my target.

Last edited:
What even is game balance and design when the end user is able to customize everything regarding gameplay? The game of chess is well understood and balanced because there are clearly defined rules and abilities of the pieces. If someone could just make up what each piece could do individually every time they play what are they even playing at that point? And if someone decides all of their pawns have the abilities of a queen, what do any of their opinions regarding the quality of the game of chess count for? "This game sucks!" yea no shit because you decided to put 8 extra queens on the board.

I'd rather play a fully designed game within the confines a game developer specifically created.

Nah, resources should stay at grounded or the level above that at best, if you have ammo to spare the game turn into an absolute cakewalk.

Also i prefer zombie companions, for the same reason, they should only act as a distraction, not actively killing my target.
I've played through these games on just straight up grounded but it can be tedious sometimes. If you keep the resources on the normal difficulty you still don't get that much ammo. But it's enough to make the shootouts more interesting. But I do like the Grounded A.I. reaction times and accuracy as well as damage. The bullets should be as deadly to me as the enemies.

But I think the companions actually engaging in fights is fucking awesome. It adds so much more immersion to the game instead of them just picking their ass in a corner and shooting once every 20 minutes.

GymWolf

I've played through these games on just straight up grounded but it can be tedious sometimes. If you keep the resources on the normal difficulty you still don't get that much ammo. But it's enough to make the shootouts more interesting. But I do like the Grounded A.I. reaction times and accuracy as well as damage. The bullets should be as deadly to me as the enemies.

But I think the companions actually engaging in fights is fucking awesome. It adds so much more immersion to the game instead of them just picking their ass in a corner and shooting once every 20 minutes.
I played one run fully grounded and one with only the resources on survival and i was full choke of ammo on the second run, maybe you didn't explored enough.

The second run was way more fun but also way easier.

The ia even on grounded is still stupid and suicidal, with enough ammo you are always the hunter, never the hunted.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Maybe in some games. I hate it in Forza Horizon and now The Crew Motorfest is copying the idea.

If your game needs rewinds as a feature maybe you made the track more difficult than it should have been. Or maybe someone needs to learn the track instead of rewinding time and easily fixing their mistake.

You turn off rewind and you get like 5% more xp? It should be much more substantial.

Also adjusting the difficulty of opponents should be way more lucrative if that’s an option as well. Getting a messily 2 or 3% Xp/money boost is not worth getting good at.

I dunno I just fucking hate these cop out customized difficulties in racing games lately. Make good ai not this bullshit adjustable garbage.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Really depends on what the difficulty slider is going to do. It usually just means more enemies, they do more damage and they become more dame spongey. I think a lot of games have employed an auto difficulty slider though that works behind the scenes.

I'll accept difficulty sliders if they increase the AI, the minimum being what's present in F.E.A.R., but games haven't advanced that much and more cater to multiplayer experiences and GAAS experiences, and watered down singleplayer experiences to 'welcome everyone', so you know, why bother.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some of my best gaming experiences were/still are playing Uncharted 1 through 3 with one shot kills and infinite ammo.

It truly turns them into interactive movies.

Indeed. Sometimes you want to have a fun challenging experience, sometimes you just want to feel like an overpowered super hero. Both play styles are viable and shouldn't discredit the other.

SaintALia

Sorry, I hate this crap.

I'd rather every game have one default difficulty and maybe a harder one for NG+.

Some games are hard. Some are easy. It's all fine. The game difficulty should be part of the overall package and design of the game.

Someone gets the ending of Sekiro, they earned it. No participation award.

Someone beats Celeste, they either conquered a challenging game, or more likely, at the first sign of resistance, they turned on cheats and water-down the experience.

Not every game needs to be for everyone. But, when you're confident in your vision, including challenge level, you might be surprised that the audience is bigger than anticipated. Look at Elden Ring.
Or you can use cheats, or use exploits(like speedrunners making full use of the latter). 'Earning' anything in gaming is kinda pointless.

Top Bottom