• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keihart

Watch a movie duder. Video games first and foremost are supposed to provide fun.

I feel dirty for replying to this , but it really bothers me this " games are supposed to be this and not this, so you are dumb and your opinion is invalid"

I have absolutely no problem with gamespost choosing ALBW as GOTY, and thats not my personal GOTY, you know why? because opinions dude.

My GOTY it is TLoU so far, with the close second of the stanley parable, if you care to know why, it's really simple for me, TLoU bringed something back to games that i was missing the whole generation, a brilliant mix of gameplay , story telling and crafting of it.
TLoU it's not less than what MGS was for me back in the day. And yes, TLoU it's not really fun , and it's not meant to be fun, and it's not less of a game because of it.
Do i like fun games? of course, i even l like dumb fun games with stupid stories like P* games.

That's like one of the best new mechanics in Zelda games.

It's one of worst mechanics in a Zelda game.

I started my game on hero mode so this might be different for anyone who played on normal but I'm forced to fight with my shield and sword more than any of the other items because of how the bar drains so quickly. I love using the Bow and Boomerang combo for ranged attacks but once I run out of bar I have to just sit there and wait for it to slowly refill. It makes it so there can't be any variety in battle and when you do need the items to fight a specific enemy your only option is to run away until the meter refills again. This wouldn't be a problem if the game allowed the player to the increases bar or not have every item attached to it and create two separate bars for magic and stamina. What sense does it make to take stamina/magic away when using the hookshot or bombs?

Kaswa101

Not a Zelda fan, but I can respect GameSpot giving it to something that isn't the easy choice (GTA V). So kudos, I guess.

Hatty

While everyone is all a-flutter about a handheld Nintendo game winning GOTY, it would have been nice to see an award going to something relatively fresh. But I guess if it's Nintendo it's ok if it's the 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000th game in the series.

the wonderful 101 is the peoples GOTY confirmed

I thought the question had already been settled legally speaking, but I don't have a problem with the Supreme Court considering games as art if that warrants falling under the First Amendment and leaving it at that, while the rest of the world doesn't give a shit.

Basically let them, it's convenient if it's just from the law's POV and doesn't extend beyond that.
The question has, basically, been legally settled. That's why I was taking exception to the idea that games are "just toys." If they are, not only is protecting their expression pointless, but it buys into the idea that it can't ever be anything but fun, which I think is bullshit. They're an art form.

I still cannot at the high amounts of salt in this thread lol. Gta 5 already won 21-22 gotys while tlou won like 27 already, and people are still not happy? It would be nice to give other masterpieces that aren't on Xbox/ps3/pc the praise that they deserve.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I think both The Last of Us and Super Mario 3D World are masterpieces, for different reasons.

Is something wrong with me? Should I see a doctor?

Obviously, since you are able to enjoy such different things.

LIKE THE SAME THINGS AND LIKE WHAT I LIKE RAWR

NomadFH

Neo Member
I feel dirty for replying to this , but it really bothers me this " games are supposed to be this and not this, so you are dumb and your opinion is invalid"

If people like that had a prominent voice early enough, we'd still be playing pong and Zelda wouldn't exist.

MYE

You hit exactly the reason why I've been disinterested in these types of games for the last few years. Same reason why I could give two shits abut Mario 3d world and have no desire to play it. To me, these types of games just feel like toys. That's perfectly fine if that's all you're looking for, but for me personally, I want a game to strive to do a little bit more.

uh
Doesn't mean I can't enjoy a game like Zelda for what it is, but it will never stick with me. Or leave me thinking about it in the same a really good piece of art will.

I didn't know art was limited about what it is and not supposed to be. There's more to interactivity than just fun.

Oh the irony! To call someone out for limiting "art" to something left for movies when you yourself consider that there is no "social commentary", depth or artistic value on a product mainly focused in interactivity and game design/mechanics.

"Toys" you say. Hmm I'm loving this

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
That comment section is a salt mine. Good grief.

Reminds me of the time that GameSpot gave Fighting Game of the Year to KOF XIII over Mortal Kombat.

aparisi2274

The problem with Zelda winning GOTY is it doesn't provide any social commentary.

Nintendo's entire philosophy is to create games that temporarily draw you away from reality. Games that are essentially created in a vacuum. That's a perfectly fine sort of game to enjoy, and it's possibly why their franchises have aged so well, but they're so abstract nothing can really be gleaned from them.

There's no incite. The player isn't changed by the experience. You turn the game off and move on with your life. You won't hop on the subway and see an elf. You will see GTA 5's Trevor, but you won't understand him.

If in 50 years someone want's to get a feel for what gaming (and life) in 2013 was like, is Zelda really the best example?

wut???

Why does a GOTY need to have social commentary? Its a video a game, not a documentary about darfur or something...why do we need to discuss a game once we have beaten it? Or discuss it 20-30yrs from now? Video Games are meant to be played, explored, and completed.

Zelda ALBW is the most polished game I've played this year, and one of the best Zelda games to come along in the last 10 years... Why shouldn't it win GOTY?

Neiteio

For me, it comes down to The Last of Us and ALBW -- and I'm probably going to give the nod to ALBW, as well. There is not a single moment in ALBW that is dull. TLoU had a slow start (after the prologue), and is just nowhere near as fun or replayable in its moment-to-moment gameplay. To cop a Breaking Bad analogy, ALBW is 99.1% pure.

That being said, people who like games and aren't corporate ballwashers would find it very rewarding to play both.

wut???

Why does a GOTY need to have social commentary? Its a video a game, not a documentary about darfur or something...why do we need to discuss a game once we have beaten it? Or discuss it 20-30yrs from now? Video Games are meant to be played, explored, and completed.

we need to get David O. Russell on Zelda, STAT. maybe we can finally get a Zelda game where everyone has psychological issues and screams.

NomadFH

Neo Member
Did you miss the parallel he drew?

No, he was implying that social commentary isn't necessary to be appreciated in an artistic way. However, that doesn't mean that everything that is void of social commentary is now comparable with Jazz. I actually love Nintendo games and think they're the most consistently great brand in video game history. I also, though, hate this attitude that anything that isn't colorful characters hopping on animal heads is a movie and not a game. The definition of a game is evolving and expanding.

Wensih

Haven't played ALBW yet, but comments from almost everyone say it's a really weird mix of a lot of old LTTP stuff and new mechanics. I'll get around to playing it eventually. I have a couple other games I want to finish (killer is dead, GTAV, Fire Emblem, and some indie titles before diving in... I'll also look for a lower price).

The argument about why a handheld can't be goty is a little stupid to me. I think any game can be eligible if it's good enough. Handhelds just rarely are better than a game with more time put into development for it. In the past handhelds were tailored to be console-lite experiences (for example, handheld mario karts). I think we're finally coming into an era where handhelds are powerful enough to warrent a games that can be considered main entries into the series and not just side experiences.

ALBW might just be as amazing as everyone makes it out to be. I'll reserve judgement for it until I play it.

terrisus

Well, that was pretty unexpected.

Although, Animal Crossing: New Leaf is the Game of the Year, and they didn't even nominate it.
Still, a good choice.

MYE

Some people here should really rethink what they consider art.
I seem to see a correlation between:
A) claims of artistic value and
B) games that pull at your heartstrings with sad stories.

The stronger B) seems to be, the more of A) some think it has.
This is really dumb.

I havent played tearaway or ac black flag, but excluding those I totally agree with the rest of nominees and the winner. It definitely deserved it but im still surprised they gave it to a handheld title. The hate from fanboys is strong today.

You hit exactly the reason why I've been disinterested in these types of games for the last few years. Same reason why I could give two shits abut Mario 3d world and have no desire to play it. To me, these types of games just feel like toys. That's perfectly fine if that's all you're looking for, but for me personally, I want a game to strive to do a little bit more.

Striving for narrative depth and championing TLOU makes you look like a hypocrite. TLOU's narrative is paper thin and nothing more than what's on the surface, and while it hints at using interactivity to further the story in a few sections, most of the time the drama is on autopilot without the player' s involvement.

I want games to do a little bit more as well, so I can't in good conscience say that TLOU was wholly successful in it's effort to tell me a story when it falls short due to a myriad of issues. 3D world and Zelda, however, are not focused on telling stories, letting them be entirely vehicles for delivering finely tuned gameplay. They are very, very successful at this. Their simplicity is one of their greatest strengths as they dont bite off more than they can chew and the experiences aren't bogged down by fluff.

Codeblue

No, he was implying that social commentary isn't necessary to be appreciated in an artistic way. However, that doesn't mean that everything that is void of social commentary is now comparable with Jazz. I actually love Nintendo games and think they're the most consistently great brand in video game history. I also, though, hate this attitude that anything that isn't colorful characters hopping on animal heads is a movie and not a game. The definition of a game is evolving and expanding.

I don't disagree, but why not just come right out with that post instead of acting indignant at the comparison?

Scrabble

And why it's a "disrespect" to say that you're not on gaming but on interactive experiences?
The problem I see there is that you are the first one to insult what you consider to be the "casual crowd" and so when someone tells you that you're a casual you get offended.

But that's not my case. I've already said it tons of times, everyone is free to play videogames for whatever reasons they want to play them. To me it's fine if you play for other reasons besides gameplay (to experience a good plot, to evade from reality, whatever), it's just that a hardcore gamer is someone who plays because he likes to play, and a hardcore experiencer is someone who plays because he likes to experience.

In other words, when you say that games that don't focus on "a good plot" or on "technology" feel like toys to you, you are explaining us that you consider them inferior experiences based on your tastes.

On the other hand, as a hardcore gamer (which is not anything positive nor negative, just a matter of tastes) I'm telling you that for other people that's not the case.

Maybe what you found offensive is the bit about the industry heading towards destruction. Well then, that's not even an opinion, this technology focused trend has destroyed tons of studios due to the increasing costs of that kind of approaches, and the fact that the prices of the games hasn't grown accordingly.

How the hell did I insult anybody? Are you kidding me?

Gigglepoo

Hey OP, we actually had ten nominees:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Last of Us
BioShock Infinite
Super Mario 3D World
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Path of Exile
Dota 2
Gone Home
Assassin's Creed IV
Grand Theft Auto V

Some people here should really rethink what they consider art.
I seem to see a correlation between:
A) claims of artistic value and
B) games that pull at your heartstrings with sad stories.

The stronger B) seems to be, the more of A) some think it has.
This is really dumb.
This is true for movies as well; not many comedies get nominated for Best Picture, so let's not pretend this is exclusively a games issue. That said, games can definitely be art based solely on mechanics because interactive mechanics are what makes a game a, well, game.

It's not just story.

Is not that a Zelda game won, is that a game on the least powerful system available, a handheld at that, won.

What does it matter when it comes to a more "powerful system"? If a game is good, it's good. No matter the system. If the media always had this mindset, hand-held games would never be considered for GOTY.

Gannd

Banned
How the hell did I insult anybody? Are you kidding me?

Originally Posted by Crafty_

Hmmmm....

Nobody who knows even remotely what their talking about derides these games for being movies. It's not a debate. They're games.

But I think we should encourage analysis on the level of film and not just accept every game with teh feelz as a masterpiece.

The problem with Zelda winning GOTY is it doesn't provide any social commentary.

Nintendo's entire philosophy is to create games that temporarily draw you away from reality. Games that are essentially created in a vacuum. That's a perfectly fine sort of game to enjoy, and it's possibly why their franchises have aged so well, but they're so abstract nothing can really be gleaned from them.

There's no incite. The player isn't changed by the experience. You turn the game off and move on with your life. You won't hop on the subway and see an elf. You will see GTA 5's Trevor, but you won't understand him.

If in 50 years someone want's to get a feel for what gaming (and life) in 2013 was like, is Zelda really the best example?

7H11O.gif

This post made me cringe.
It's a joke, right?
Social commentary? Some gamers need to start reading books.

Majestad

Banned
What does it matter when it comes to a more "powerful system"? If a game is good, it's good. No matter the system. If the media always had this mindset, hand-held games would never be considered for GOTY.

I agree. It's stupid that a handheld game can't get GOTY. Handheld games have been superior than console games for me for the past few years.

Banned
Wow I'm shocked. I legit thought they would pick TLOU or GTA V or maybe Bioshock. This game must really be good then. Especially with all the perfect scores. I gotta start it lol.

Neiteio

I foresee myself being irked by two things this voting season:

1) Nintendo fans saying TLOU is a shallow story or a "movie" -- The story is excellent, and the gameplay is also excellent, and its great achievement is striking a balance where it becomes greater than the sum of its parts. The gameplay is not as consistent or varied as ALBW, but to say it's not there or what's there isn't good is false.

2) Sony fans saying ALBW isn't worthy -- It absolutely is. ALBW is true masterpiece of game design and mechanics and pacing and even technical performance, given it runs at a locked 60 fps in autostereoscopic 3D. The game creates this constant buzz that never lets up until you power off the game. The zen-like "flow" is so immediate, so strong and so consistent that it's like you're intravenously being fed pure gaming bliss.

So yeah. Seeing people go #TeamTLOU or #TeamALBW is going to be rough when both games are incredible and neither side should diminish the other.

They're generally not, which I think is why people are pleasantly surprised.

I foresee myself being irked by two things this voting season:

1) Nintendo fans saying TLOU is a shallow story or a "movie" -- The story is excellent, and the gameplay is also excellent, and its great achievement is striking a balance where it becomes greater than the sum of its parts

2) Sony fans saying ALBW isn't worthy -- It absolutely is. ALBW is true masterpiece of game design and mechanics and pacing and even technical performance, given it runs at a locked 60 fps in autostereoscopic 3D. The game creates this constant buzz that never lets up until you power off the game. The zen-like "flow" is so immediate, so strong and so consistent that it's like you're intravenously being fed pure gaming bliss.

So yeah. Seeing people go #TeamTLOU or #TeamALBW is going to be rough when both games are incredible and neither side should diminish the other.

This is exactly the opposite problem. Neither the gameplay nor the story were given any room to breathe and it harmed both greatly. The game had far far too much gameplay for the story to be paced well, woth way too many pointless gameplay scenes. Likewise, the gameplay suffered by not being able to have a focus on encounter design and mechanical depth due to it's need for accessibility and to be consistent with the narrative presented.

If the game would have focused on one area it could have been great. But as it stands it doesn't really excel in any one area, and is more of a jack of all trades.

Scrabble

uh

Oh the irony! To call someone out for limiting "art" to something left for movies when you yourself consider that there is no "social commentary", depth or artistic value on a product mainly focused in interactivity and game design/mechanics.

"Toys" you say. Hmm I'm loving this

I haven't called anybody out or challenged someone's opinion trying to claim they are wrong, nor have I brought movies into the discussion either. Of course games like Zelda and Mario are pieces of art, they just aren't what I'm super interested in right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom