• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this whole first party debate. If you're going to call Insomniac Games Ratchet titles "First party" games and development what definition are you going to use for second party? Which is normally defined as an independent developer putting a game exclusively on one platform.

The inclusion of GOW as a first party MS title is even more confusing considering MS doesn't even own the GOW IP.

Overall, using a line from Wikipedia, especially one that says citation needed, is a terrible way to make an argument and a sure fire way to fail a paper if try to use it in school.
All second party games are first party games. The second party part is just to recognize that the company doesn't own the developer making the game.

First party developers and first party games are also completely different things. Platinum is a third party developer making a first party game, because Nintendo owns the rights to what they're making.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Holy hell this thread. Why so much rage? They had a respectable list of nominees and a respectable winner. Can't believe we are at 26 pages here.

Because people these days have become so ridiculous that they can't only be simply disappointed that the thing they like didn't win, they now have to try and do all they can to make others feel stupid about their opinion in the process.

Epitome of immaturity.

Nipo

All second party games are first party games. The second party part is just to recognize that the company doesn't own the developer making the game.

So by that reasoning, Mass Effect, a title originally developed by BioWare and published my Microsoft is 2007 was a first party game for one year then switched to a third party game in 2008 when EA published it?

If that is true and this is the agreed upon definition of "first party game" it is a terrible one. First party should be reserved for games developed and published by the console maker.

massoluk

Banned
Bad comparison, as Transformers is bombastic but has been shitpanned by reviewers.

The Last of Us on the otherhand, is not only a triple-A game that ticks the checkboxes of visceralism, epicness, and cinematicism, but it's also an excellent game that has (rightly so) been regarded as the best PS3 game.

Well done, I nearly thought you were serious.

Tripon

So by that reasoning, Mass Effect, a title originally developed by BioWare and published my Microsoft is 2007 was a first party game for one year then switched to a third party game in 2008 when EA published it?

If that is true and this is the agreed upon definition of "first party game" it is a terrible one. First party should be reserved for games developed and published by the console maker.

...Yes? It took years for EA to get MS1 onto other platforms. Obviously some money had to be exchanged.

Tourmeta

Zelda's been enjoyable so far so I can go with it. Of the games on the list I'd personally say AC4 is my choice. that'd be different if they listed Pokemon however :)

You can buy out licenses. By your logic Luigis Mansion 2 isn't a first party Nintendo game because a company not owned by Nintendo made it.

A first party developer is a developer owned by a console maker, so logically a first party game would be a game that's owned by a console maker. W101 is a Nintendo owned IP.

By your logic, Nintendo doesn't own and make Hyrule Warriors because its being developed by Temco Koei, or Nintendo didn't own and make Luigi Mansion 2 because it was developed by Next Level Games.

I didn't say that at all... Why do you think I said...
Now, whether or not Nintendo own's the IP is another matter entirely.

Please don't twist what people say to push your own narrative, it's unbecoming.

My point is that whether or not something should be considered 1st or 3rd party isn't as "black and white" as some are trying to make it out to be. I wasn't choosing a side, so you can stand down and drop the defensive posturing.

It was a first party title. Until MS sold their rights to it back to EA/Bioware.

Is the Halo franchise up to Reach "2nd party lol" because Bungie is now a third party developer to MS?

Mass Effect 1 was 2nd Party, Microsoft didn't own the Mass Effect IP or Bioware.

Halo was 1st party because Microsoft owns the Halo IP and owned Bungie at the time...

Nipo

...Yes? It took years for EA to get MS1 onto other platforms. Obviously some money had to be exchanged.

I'll buy it I just think it is a terrible definition. If first party titles don't need to be owned, or developed by the first party the term is near useless.

The idea that Nintendo could license their IP to some developer to make mobile ports then publish it themselves and call it a "First party Nintendo title" defeats the purpose of the first party distinction in my eyes.

Nipo

You can buy out licenses. By your logic Luigis Mansion 2 isn't a first party Nintendo game because a company not owned by Nintendo made it.

A first party developer is a developer owned by a console maker, so logically a first party game would be a game that's owned by a console maker. W101 is a Nintendo owned IP.

Right, I'd consider Luigi Mansion a second party title Like R&C games. It wasn't made by Nintendo or a developer own in whole or party by Nintendo. Assuming they paid Next Level Games development costs it would be a second party title.

That would exclude Gears of War and Mass Effect as first party games right?

Right, I'd consider Luigi Mansion a second party title Like R&C games. It wasn't made by Nintendo or a developer own in whole or party by Nintendo. Assuming they paid Next Level Games development costs it would be a second party title.

That would exclude Gears of War and Mass Effect as first party games right?
I don't think there is such a thing as a second party game, only second party developers. Since the whole "Party" label refers to ownership of whatever you're classifying I would consider any game owned by Nintendo to be a first party game because they own it.

The only reason we have the second party label is to show that the developer isn't owned by the company they're making the game for, so calling Luigis Mansion second party implies that it's not owned by Nintendo.

I'd say it's a first party game made by a second party developer. I also think the whole second party thing is stupid and unnecessary.

phanphare

Banned
I can. The hardware sucks. I don't see it as any different to 'man, I wish this film was on blu-ray'.

ahhh SmokyDave. your reputation precedes you. haha just kidding man

I mean, I guess I can see that viewpoint but to me it just comes off as bitter port begging. no offense.

and A Link Between Worlds is one of the few games that I play almost exclusively with the 3D slider on. aside from 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion I don't really like the 3D on during games but for this game and the dungeons especially it can be really helpful for certain puzzles

Majestad

Banned
I can. The hardware sucks. I don't see it as any different to 'man, I wish this film was on blu-ray'.

If that's how you see things, you must be pissed to play those sub-res ports of games that you could play on other consoles and they would look and play better. You know what I'm talking about ;)

waggabond

Banned
Nothing against Zelda, I'm a big Zelda fan, but TLoU should clearly be anyone's GotY in 2013.

Good thing is most people know Gamespot is biased/unreliable/paidreviews as it gets, so their GOTY choice is irrelevant for serious gamers.

phanphare

Banned
Nothing against Zelda, I'm a big Zelda fan, but TLoU should clearly be anyone's GotY in 2013.

Good thing is most people know Gamespot is biased/unreliable/paidreviews as it gets, so their GOTY choice is irrelevant for serious gamers.

::facepalm::

seriously I hope most gamers don't think like this. nothing against your opinion that TLoU is better, but your opinion that everybody should share that opinion is atrocious. there's really no other way to put it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

"Nothing against anybody else's opinion, but MY opinion is clearly the one that is correct."

redcrayon

Lol, and I suppose the publications that voted for GTA are all paid off/unreliable too?

Not everyone views games through the same criteria that you do, what incredible arrogance. They voted TLOU their third best game of the year, that's not exactly bad.

Seda

Thread has gone largely off-topic, and had run its course anyway. There's the media picks thread if you want to discuss gaming websites/publications and GOTY criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom