• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay...how about we approach this from a different angle, eh?

Surely there wouldn't be anything controversial with suggesting that, at the very least, it's highly questionable that the Zelda team could create a better game than EAD Tokyo?

AniHawk

Okay...how about we approach this from a different angle, eh?

Surely there wouldn't be anything controversial with suggesting that, at the very least, it's highly questionable that the Zelda team could create a better game than EAD Tokyo?

i don't see why when it already happened in 2011.

SegaShack

This is really cool, for once my game of the year choice actually ends up being a big sites GOTY. I completely agree with their choice. I did make a length thread about how Link Between Worlds is the best Nintendo game I've played in 10 years.

The fuck? Is that a real site or a joke site?

Can't all publications just randomize their GOTY selections for one year so that we completely blow the minds of people who can't handle things like this?

It's a joke site. Don't worry.

Honestly surprised GameSpot picked this. Good on them. Having played (nearly) all the games on their list, it would've been my choice too.

Pritchardo

Neo Member
Death threats? Its the childish people like that that give gamers a bad name. Why the fuck does anyone care so much about a websites game of the year award? Pathetic. Also to the people trying to argue that tlou should have won ... get over it.

Looks like Freezie made his way onto the site...

Why the hell did a Mario game that is essentially a HD version of a 3DS game win best game of 2013?????

All they added was freaking cat costumes, wow such original, much new.

All Nintendo does these days is rehashes games from its more popular handheld platform, there's a reason why Wii U is selling like dog crap.

Morzak

Oh boy after the new yorker thread, I was looking forward to what happens if a big gaming site doesn't choose TLOU/GTAV..... And the thread doesn't dissapoint, absolute insanity.....

I'm actually quite surprised that Zelda won.
But I'm WAY more surprised at these countless overreactions of people.
I mean, death threats? Really?!
Do these kids even know what they're doing?

People overreacting just because Shootbang Simulator 2013 Heist Edition and Zombie Edition didn't win is just...well, it's damn fucking stupid.
And I wanna go on record saying that I played through and enjoyed all of TLoU, GTAV, SM3DW, Bioshock Infinite and Zelda. All of them on or near release even (no more than 3 weeks after release). Many more potential GOTY candidates as well.

But since I played through all of these and had fun with all of these games, I think I do "have the right" to say that I had the MOST fun with those two games where shooting was not the major thing in its gameplay mechanics. Coincidentally both of them were made by Nintendo, one for a console which sells under average, the other one being for a handheld with a rich and unique games library. And both of them are PRETTY CLOSE at being GOTY for me. SM3DW won for me because it was just a tad better.

Still, Zelda LBW rightfully deserves that GOTY medal. Everyone who thinks otherwise: Okay, it's your opinion, as the one written above is mine. That doesn't make it EVERYONE'S opinion. Don't force your opinion on others. If you think TLoU or GTAV are more deserving of being voted GOTY: Okay. Keep believing that. It's your GOTY, that's okay. You had more fun shooting Mushroom Zombies or robbing banks, it's okay, I had fun doing that too. But please, keep your fucking mouth shut, just because a major gaming site doesn't reflect your personal opinion. Thanks.

I'm actually quite surprised that Zelda won.
But I'm WAY more surprised at these countless overreactions of people.
I mean, death threats? Really?!
Do these kids even know what they're doing?

People overreacting just because Shootbang Simulator 2013 Heist Edition and Zombie Edition didn't win is just...well, it's damn fucking stupid.
And I wanna go on record saying that I played through and enjoyed all of TLoU, GTAV, SM3DW, Bioshock Infinite and Zelda. All of them on or near release even (no more than 3 weeks after release). Many more potential GOTY candidates as well.

But since I played through all of these and had fun with all of these games, I think I do "have the right" to say that I had the MOST fun with those two games where shooting was not the major thing in its gameplay mechanics. Coincidentally both of them were made by Nintendo, one for a console which sells under average, the other one being for a handheld with a rich and unique games library. And both of them are PRETTY CLOSE at being GOTY for me. SM3DW won for me because it was just a tad better.

Still, Zelda LBW rightfully deserves that GOTY medal. Everyone who thinks otherwise: Okay, it's your opinion, as the one written above is mine. That doesn't make it EVERYONE'S opinion. Don't force your opinion on others. If you think TLoU or GTAV are more deserving of being voted GOTY: Okay. Keep believing that. It's your GOTY, that's okay. You had more fun shooting Mushroom Zombies or robbing banks, it's okay, I had fun doing that too. But please, keep your fucking mouth shut, just because a major gaming site doesn't reflect your personal opinion. Thanks.

Man that was fucking stupid.

Of course Nintendo has the best game. They have the best system

why-cant-i-hold-all-these-3ds-games.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Death threats now?? What the actual fuck is wrong with people

Hindle

Banned
I'd wager most of the salt is coming from people who haven't actually played Zelda, or any game that isn't on the 360 or PS3.

soxxx

Banned
I enjoyed the game but its not the GOTY imo. Although im not sure which game exactly is. I enjoyed Pokemon Y a tad more.

big_erk

Just a quick observation. It gets lost in all of the Nintendoomed stuff that goes around, but Nintendo still turns out more quality games than any other developer. Just look at the number of Nintendo games that have made peoples top 10 lists this year and compare it to any other company.

Just off the top of my head you have

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Luigi's Mansion 2
ALBW
Pokemon X/Y
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Pikmin 3
SM3DW
WWHD
NSL
Wonderful 101

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Just a quick observation. It gets lost in all of the Nintendoomed stuff that goes around, but Nintendo still turns out more quality games than any other developer. Just look at the number of Nintendo games that have made peoples top 10 lists this year and compare it to any other company.

Just off the top of my head you have

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Luigi's Mansion 2
ALBW
Pokemon X/Y
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Pikmin 3
SM3DW
WWHD
NSL
Wonderful 101

Sure. Now how many new IPs do you see there (101 don't count). Who wouldn't be good at making the same thing repeatedly?

Yeah, but you could have downloaded it. it was widely available in 2012 and won many GotY awards.

Didn't mean to be rude, but it sure does seem like throwing your vote away to vote for last years GotY in 2013 because of a ridiculous technicality.

You're not being rude in the slightest, I thank you for your consideration and your extremely relevant (but, as I believe, technically incorrect) point. However, once again...and with a heavy heart, I must enact a token of disagreement against my fellow forum-goer. I've not created this totally top ten list based on anyone else's prior, current or future opinions of any of the video games mentioned therein. Merely my own.

[ONE STANDARD DISAGREEMENT TOKEN HERE]

Yamauchi

Banned
Sure. Now how many new IPs do you see there (101 don't count). Who wouldn't be good at making the same thing repeatedly?
Just curious. Can you name a single developer with a similar quality of output over the last, let's say, 5-10 years that does not rely almost entirely on sequels?

big_erk

How many new IPs were nominated for GOTY at any site?

The top nominees I'm seeing are
GTA V
Bioshock Infinite
Tomb Raider
Assassin's Creed IV
COD Ghosts

I love how this gets thrown at Nintendo time and again and yet these lists are always dominated by sequels. Every game that I named above is a fine game. They are also all sequels and not new IPs. I don't get it.

..why would 101 count..it's not Nintendo developed..

It´s funded by Big N, it´s supervised by Big N. It´s a full first party title developed by a third party company in cooperation with Nintendo. Nintendo owns the rights. It´s just the usual argument over and over again: Nintendo should make new IPs! Something different than Mario/Zelda/Metroid*
*Something different than Mario/Zelda/Metroid doesn´t count.

big_erk

It´s funded by Big N, it´s supervised by Big N. It´s a full first party title developed by a third party company in cooperation with Nintendo. Nintendo owns the rights. It´s just the usual argument over and over again: Nintendo should make new IPs! Something different than Mario/Zelda/Metroid*

We'll hear the same thing when Bayo 2 releases.

..why would 101 count..it's not Nintendo developed..

They wanted more games for the console they make. They paid the bills to develop and publish it. They own the property 100% When the studio originally wanted to fill the game with Nintendo characters, Nintendo said "use original characters instead."

It is an original game in a brand new franchise owned by Nintendo that only exists because Nintendo management decided to make it happen.

Why would that NOT count?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

yo.. it's a Platinum game.. from inception to the end.

Bayo2 of course wouldn't count either. Did Nintendo buy Platinum? News to me.

yo.. it's a Platinum game.. from inception to the end.

Bayo2 of course wouldn't count either. Did Nintendo buy Platinum? News to me.

But if the problem is "Nintendo never makes non sequels" and then Nintendo spends money to get an exclusive new IP, how is that not Nintendo saying "new IPs are valuable?" It wasn't magically financially risk free just because Platinum developed it instead of EAD.

Bayo 2 is a bit different, yeah, considering they presumably don't outright own bayonetta.

I don't think Pokemon counts either, Nintendo didn't make that and they don't own GameFreak

Do they own HAL labs? Cuz then the Smash games don't count either

does Nintendo actually make anything or they like Valve and just buy games from people

I'm an expert

Nintendo probably had the biggest new IP's of the last generation.

Nintendogs
Wii Fit
Wii Sports
Brain Age

Agreed. Now these are new ips.

Yo it´s a platinum developed game. In cooperation and supervision with and from nintendo. You may read an Iwata asks for further information.

This is like saying Titanfall is a Microsoft game. Ok, ok, fine. I'll let you guys have the enormously well-received and high selling gangbuster 101. /clap

How many new IPs were nominated for GOTY at any site?

The top nominees I'm seeing are
GTA V
Bioshock Infinite
Tomb Raider
Assassin's Creed IV
COD Ghosts

I love how this gets thrown at Nintendo time and again and yet these lists are always dominated by sequels. Every game that I named above is a fine game. They are also all sequels and not new IPs. I don't get it.

How do you leave out The Last of Us? That probably has the most GOTYs and is a new IP.

why isn't it GotY material? just curious.

Let's not kid ourselves.

It's a fine game, but it isn't an AAA game. Which is kinda to be expected by handheld titles, as they simply cannot achieve the same greatness as the bigger-budget home console games can. A small handheld game from a small company taking home the GOTY award is like a Finnish melancholic movie taking home the best movie Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom