• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another joke GOTY Winner for GameSpot. Last year they gave it to Journey, which I'm not even sure qualifies as a video game, and this year a rehash of a 20 year old game no hardly any graphical upgrade wins over the likes of GTAV, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 4

I can't decide whether this is better as a joke post or a serious post. I'm not sure which one it is, either.

ie2qbJpqOtdAj.gif
Hahaha perfect

mandiller

Great pick by Gamespot! Link Between Worlds is definitely a contender for game of the year for me. Fire Emblem may just edge it out though.

Fjordson

Alright, I bit on a 3DS XL from Amazon after reading some of this thread. Haven't owned a handheld system since the Gameboy, but this game just looks too good. Wish I had gotten in on the bundle with the gold XL.

I've basically played nothing this year, so I can't comment on anybody's specific choices, but in general is cool to see a handheld game get some recognition. A good fraction of my favorite game experiences have been on handhelds, so I'm glad to see them not ignored in a knee-jerk way at the end of the year.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Even if I am a huge Zelda fan and think LBW is totally deserving of the award, Last of Us was no doubt a serious contender.

We got a lot of awesome games this year. Be happy for that, people. Don't just shit on the game you didn't like for winning/not-winning.

Wonderful 101 was my GOTY.

cafemomo

It takes a gigantic shit on minish cap and it is slightly better than link's awakening.

Links Awakening is the best 2d zelda that follows the classic rules

ALBW however follows a different path.

LA, ALBW and OoT are my top 3 zeldas and I dont rank them against each other, because they are all different enough.

I'll buy a copy tomorrow as a early Christmas present for myself.

This better be good

Mariolee's post has gone viral, Adam Sessler mentioned the line "Link Between Two Worlds is just objectionally not the best game" as the new word of the day HERE

I know GameSpot for being different than other review sites when regarding high profile games. Games that get tens elsewhere may be given eights or nines by that site. The Legend of Zelda getting a lower score than Grand Theft Auto V and yet winning Game of the Year is perplexing. I consider numerical values in reviews as an objective grade which would mean the highest rated game should get that award. Apparently, GameSpot considers nominees and ratings differently.

GetemMa

I know GameSpot for being different than other review sites when regarding high profile games. Games that get tens elsewhere may be given eights or nines by that site. The Legend of Zelda getting a lower score than Grand Theft Auto V and yet winning Game of the Year is perplexing. I consider numerical values in reviews as an objective grade which would mean the highest rated game should get that award. Apparently, GameSpot considers nominees and ratings differently.

They received the same score.

andymcc

Banned

It may be a quantifiable grade but not an "objective" one.

Then I guess they'll be in good company with the Naughty God stans.

Nintendo's legacy is much longer and with higher highs than Naughty Dog. It's not only understandable but probably assumed most people would prefer Nintendo.

One reviewer, many voters. It's not hard.

equippedwithtowel said:
One reviewer, many voters. It's not hard.
I actually understand that. However, I was wrong about the score difference.
andymcc said:
It may be a quantifiable grade but an "objective" one.
I did say I think scores should be objective ones, so I am guessing you are reiterating my statement.
They received the same score.

They did indeed both earn nine out of ten from GameSpot. My mistake.

Honestly, I can't think of a game I enjoyed more this year. Tlou and gta v are great, but I could not put albw down. It's all game, no filler and that is a beautiful thing. It's the kind of game you can pick up and play again and again just like the classics of yore. I'm glad this website is recognizing it. Fuck the haters. We don't get pure games like this often anymore.

The enjoyment derived from a video game will always have a subjective bias therefore there is no way to objectively score a video game.
Okay, so you were not reiterating my statement. Please be more clear.

I think there are certain aspects of fun factor one can be objective about when reviewing fun factor. Everyone is different, but we are all human.

andymcc

Banned
Okay, so you were not reiterating my statement. Please be more clear.

I think there are certain aspects of fun factor one can be objective about when reviewing fun factor. Everyone is different, but we are all human.

I thought there was a "Not" in there. Long day, my bad.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Journey (a video game) was released for the first time in 2013 in the EU region (a place), at retail (a thing). Having never been previously available via retail in the EU region. That means it came out in 2013.

Really I just wanna show off the rounded corners on my images, to be honest. Also, totally not "correcting" that person. I simply disagreed with a polite er-hem.

Yeah, but you could have downloaded it. it was widely available in 2012 and won many GotY awards.

Didn't mean to be rude, but it sure does seem like throwing your vote away to vote for last years GotY in 2013 because of a ridiculous technicality.

e46b5812bb78120540bf022f002d7aa5553caabd5524ca92d5b6c89a814eb619.jpg

I'm really glad. I've always preferred handheld gaming over console gaming and it's nice to see a great handheld game get the attention it deserves from a mainstream website.

jrDev

STAAAAP!!!

I can't spend anymore money on games this year. I still have SMT4, DK, AA5, Pokemon and Fire Emblem in backlog. I've missed quite a few other games I have to push into next year.
This zelda, Luigis Mansion, MarioLuigiRPG, MonHun3, Professor Layton plus more and that's just on 3DS alone.

But this video is teasing me.

Man, those YouTube comments are the best smh...

3DS has had a FANTASTIC year looking back...Nintendo's quality releases were mind boggling this year. Makes you wonder how they will top 2013.

bender

What time is it?
It's a wonderful choice. I think A Link Between Worlds will end up somewhere in my top three for the year along with The Swapper and Gunpoint. There was only one dungeon I didn't care for but it made me completely ignore Super Mario 3D World.

they have path of exile on the list? yeah, gamespot knows whats up.

I really need to give this another shot. I went into the beta after being disappointed by Diablo 3 and the combat felt on the stiff side.

As a huge Zelda fan, this game doesn't deserve it.

Nice to see a handheld game win, though. With Journey and Walking Dead cleaning up last year, times are changing.

andymcc said:
I thought there was a "Not" in there. Long day, my bad.
Okay. I know what you meant now. No problem

Understanding something tends not to magically make it go away. The score even if it was different is 100% irrelevant.

If something magically went away after an understanding of it transpired, things would be much different. What I do not know is why you said that. Please explain.

Scores of games may be irrelevant to you, but they do matter to me. Stating an opinion as fact does not change it into one.

Scores of games may be irrelevant to you, but they do matter to me. Stating an opinion as fact does not change it into one.

One person reviews a game, an entire staff votes on GoTY. Sometimes they may have list voting, sometimes it is deliberation. The original score is one man's opinion and the website is under no onus to give an award because one reviewer gave a game a ten in September over a game which got a nine at release but was more widely supported at the end of the year.

Otherwise Gamespot would have given GoTY to Gone Home or Civ V: BNW. It's really not complicated.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/gamespot-r...re-office-after-naming-zelda-game-of-the-year

It seems that no matter what GameSpot says about the Zelda series, it inevitably turns into death threats being sent. Today is no exception after they announced that The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is their 2013 game of the year.theydontevenwanttorememberreviewingitMany remember the infamous 8.8 score given to The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess back in 2006. Jeff Gerstmann, former GameSpot employee, remembers that event very well.

“The moment I felt closest to death was when I gave an 8.8 to Twilight Princess,” recalled Gerstmann during a Giant Bomb stream, “The entire GameSpot office was in total lockdown after that review went up. We were too paranoid to leave for a few days. Some Zelda fan could have easily killed one of us if we even dared to take one step outside. For a few weeks, we were afraid someone was going to send a bomb or poison our mail. It was a terrible experience.”

“And I never really recovered to be honest,” continued Gerstmann, “I haven’t touched a Zelda game since. Every time you guys talk about Zelda, I have to walk away. I know GameSpot is kind of like our sister site now and I really feel for any of you guys watching our stream. But you knew you were messing with fire by making this decision and hell hath no fury like a Sony or Microsoft fan scorned. You should have played it safe with The Last of Us or Grand Theft Auto. Why tempt fate?”

And it does appear that for the second time within a decade, the GameSpot offices are in total lockdown. No one has been seen leaving or entering the building since this morning and there is limited communication with the employees trapped inside. We were however able to reach Martin Gaston, the writer for the Link Between Worlds review.

“I was advised not to even write a review for the game in the first place,” wrote Gaston, “They apparently did not want a repeat of the 8.8 event but nothing seemed to go wrong after the review went up. So when I placed my vote for A Link Between Worlds to be game of the year, I thought times had changed. I was wrong. I was dead fucking wrong. Video game fanatics are by definition, fanatics. Nintendo fans, Sony fans, Microsoft fans. They’re all insane for devoting themselves to something so trivial.”

“I am receiving at least five death threats a minute from these people,” relayed Gaston, “All I wanted to do was talk about Zelda without getting death threats. Is that too much to ask for in 2013? I speak negatively about Zelda, Nintendo fans will try to kill me. I speak positively about Zelda, Sony and Microsoft fans will try to kill me. If I remain neutral, everyone will try to kill me. I mean, someone just texted my mom that she will be poisoned tonight if GameSpot does not change their game of the year. I don’t know how to respond to that. I just hope GameSpot is sending protection out there for all of our family members.”

Meanwhile, Kotaku Australia is still reeling from their decision to name Luigi’s Mansion 2 as their game of the year after being attacked by regular Kotaku readers who say that Kotaku Australia is ruining Kotaku’s reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom