• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaiku

The West doesn't really take to handhelds in general though. Certainly not the development studios anyway. Not even Sony was able to change the way a lot of studios view handhelds, and they were our best hope on that front.

Hey, some of the biggest handheld games this year were from western studios.

Not

Banned
Entertaining, you mean.

I just feel bad that Nintendo isn't in the mainstream at all anymore. When I was a kid, Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 were the only games people talked about. Maybe this was before youtube and iPhones and such, but "mature" games like MGS and Perfect Dark weren't that much in the spotlight. Halo and Goldeneye (ironically) kind of set the wheels in motion. I can appreciate these new "cinematic" games (even though I haven't played a lot of them), but it's just a bummer how everything's turned out. Sometimes, when no one's around, I consider letting out a mild, embittered "Kids today" under my breath.

remnant

Banned
It's funny that it has gotten to the point where a Zelda game winning GOTY is a surprise.

I still personally think The Last of Us was overall better game. ALBW is amazing is basically perfect but let's not deny that it's A Link to the Past with a new coat of paint.

How can you type something that stupid? I mean, i can understand saying it. Sometimes dumb thoughts just creep out of our mouths, but you typed it. You sat down, hit a keyboard multiple times, probably reread it when you were done....and still don't see how dumb an opinion that is.

dmr87

Another joke GOTY Winner for GameSpot. Last year they gave it to Journey, which I'm not even sure qualifies as a video game, and this year a rehash of a 20 year old game no hardly any graphical upgrade wins over the likes of GTAV, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 4

Congratulations.

Don't adjust your monitor, this really happened.

1482794_623666344361166_1794855618_n.jpg

jax

Banned
bahaha the amount of salt in this thread is hilarious. Sorry your grimdark zombie game didn't win, guys. Better luck next year.

Whoa, surprised

I bought Link to play on the subway and ended up not being able to put it down at home so I guess I agree with Gamespot :eek:

GTA, 5, Bioshock and AC4 are way up there too

I haven't played Lat of Us

By the bye I think Link Between Worlds is a damn fine game with which to ensconce upon the throne of GOTY finery.

I dont get it. Why is a 2012 game (the Gaf 2012 GotY) your #1 for 2013? Because a disc version was released in EU?

You're using a blatant and hilariously wrong post to correct the opinion of some guy who didn't like Journey?

Journey (a video game) was released for the first time in 2013 in the EU region (a place), at retail (a thing). Having never been previously available via retail in the EU region. That means it came out in 2013.

Really I just wanna show off the rounded corners on my images, to be honest. Also, totally not "correcting" that person. I simply disagreed with a polite er-hem.

Yaza

Neo Member
It's literally a rectal doomsday on the internet over this it's hilarious.

Seeing a game like this instead of gone home or the last of us winning makes me believe that there's still heroes left in men.

Way too derivative of the first to even merit consideration for me. FE: A would have been a much better handheld choice, but handheld's best doesn't match console's best to me.

Mine would likely be SM3DW

javac

Didn't post in this thread because reading it was more enjoyable. Now the craziness has calmed down a bit I'd like to say it's great seeing an amazing handheld game winning and another equally amazing handheld game getting its recognition. Games are games no matter the platform. The fact that these developers are putting effort behind these handheld instalments is really nice to see. So many handheld games don't get the recognition that they deserve. It's time that notion can go fuck itself.

ALBW is not a rehash. It's a lovingly restored game world that's had new life breathed into it and a whole new story that awaits the player. It's a really amazing game and I'm glad it's GameSpots GOTY. Condolences to the rest of the games on the list of nominations. Each and every one is a great game and if you enjoyed one of the other nominees more that's fine. You can't go wrong this year on any platform.

Okamid3n

I started The Last of Us two weeks before Zelda came out. I stopped playing TLoU when I got my hand on zelda and finished that game in 5 days before going back to TLoU. I definitely enjoyed LBW way more, even if TLoU was more ambitious.

At the end of the day, diversity of opinion is good for everyone, so I'm glad they chose something "different".

zroid

Banned
Another joke GOTY Winner for GameSpot. Last year they gave it to Journey, which I'm not even sure qualifies as a video game, and this year a rehash of a 20 year old game no hardly any graphical upgrade wins over the likes of GTAV, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 4

you rarely see such brilliant satire on GAF. my kudos.

how visceral is the game?

you will have no internal organs left by the time you're done with it

Happening all over the place this year. The "Naughty Gods" horde has become insufferable.

The fanaticism that's developed over the last gen has become too much. I can't even tell of people are joking anymore. Do people really feel that strongly about this kind of shit? My god

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Naughty Dog fans in general have become amazingly insane in the last few years. They're only reaching the pinnacle of insanity this year (err..hopefully at least).

I thought the Uncharted 3 8.0 gate was going to be untoppable. Never doubt them.

SoilBreak

Banned

ie2qbJpqOtdAj.gif

ivysaur12

Banned

NeoGAF Shit Post's Shit Post of the year. Pleaaaase

JordanN

Banned
This is all a ploy to get Nintendo out of home consoles. Media hypes handheld, Nintendo sees handheld games wins goty, Nintendo goes handheld only and ports to PS4/XBO.

hemtae

Took a peek expecting one of the AAA games.

I was pleasantly surprised. Its nice that they have the open-mindedness to make such a choice. I can't comment if it was the choice I would have made since I haven't played said AAA games but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom