• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Zelda winning GOTY is it doesn't provide any social commentary.

Nintendo's entire philosophy is to create games that temporarily draw you away from reality. Games that are essentially created in a vacuum. That's a perfectly fine sort of game to enjoy, and it's possibly why their franchises have aged so well, but they're so abstract nothing can really be gleaned from them.

There's no incite. The player isn't changed by the experience. You turn the game off and move on with your life. You won't hop on the subway and see an elf. You will see GTA 5's Trevor, but you won't understand him.

If in 50 years someone want's to get a feel for what gaming (and life) in 2013 was like, is Zelda really the best example?

I'm reading through the thread and saw this post, it's an interesting opinion but I would say that games don't have to have any kind of deep or meaningful message.

Some games are stronger because of their narrative and stories, but others are stronger because they dump any kind of story they had and focus on the gameplay.

Examples: Hotline Miami and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Tex117

Banned
Im not surprised. When it comes to GOTY, gamespot usually has interesting choices.

AKA, they picked Demon's Souls as their game of the year a few years ago.

PhantomR

Banned
Gamespot really screwed the pooch on this one.

I've read through the entire thread, and you guys just don't get it: when a website chooses Game of the Year, they have a certain responsibility. Think about it, the gaming media has a lot of power over the minds of gamers. Where do we go for our gaming news? These websites. Where do we go for gaming reviews? These websites. Where do we go for analysis and predictions of companies that may or may not be wrong but take them as fact in our console war threads anyway? These fucking websites.

You see, it's not about what is the most fun game, but about the best game! And I'm sorry you guys, but Link Between Two Worlds is just objectionally not the best game. Reviewers should look at how much money was invested into these games, how much production time went into it, how much the story affects us emotionally. It's not about fun, it's about content. It's about experience.

And now, Gamespot has really screwed up. Now gamers are going to look at this handheld game and think it might be better than The Last of Us. THE LAST OF US. Do you know how many Game of the Year awards that got!? Jeez Gamespot.

Worst of all, now Nintendo is going to think that making titles like Link Between Two Worlds is alright. They're going to keep pumping out these SNES remakes and think that, "Oh, this will be fun for a new generation herp derp hope they like it." They won't learn that it's not about fun anymore! And it's all thanks to websites like Gamespot and all the man-children that bought Link Between Two Worlds.

Hope you guys enjoy your new gaming future, I'm out.

post-11542-NPH-Approves-gifs-PQi5.gif

Reskin ALBW with different characters, monsters, etc and it doesn't get half the love from the gaming press that it is now. Reskin it and I guarantee that it isn't even in the discussion for GOTY. Not because it wouldn't be worthy of contention, but because it wouldn't be a Zelda game. We had a great year for portables this year, yet all the discussion in the media seemed to boil down to three games: Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Zelda. Luigi's Mansion got a bit of hype as well. All four of them were Nintendo games. This is the same year that gave us SMT4, Phoenix Wright: DD, Soul Hackers, Tearaway, Ys: Memories of Celceta and Fire Emblem. All of them games that should have been in the running. Most employees of any media outlet probably didn't play more than 1 or 2 of this list.

Fire Emblem is probably gonna be the 2nd or 1st place handheld game in Gaf's GoTY, but I guess that just reinforces your point.

smcinnis

Neo Member

I've read through the entire thread, and you guys just don't get it: when a website chooses Game of the Year, they have a certain responsibility. Think about it, the gaming media has a lot of power over the minds of gamers. Where do we go for our gaming news? These websites. Where do we go for gaming reviews? These websites. Where do we go for analysis and predictions of companies that may or may not be wrong but take them as fact in our console war threads anyway? These fucking websites.

You see, it's not about what is the most fun game, but about the best game! And I'm sorry you guys, but Link Between Two Worlds is just objectionally not the best game. Reviewers should look at how much money was invested into these games, how much production time went into it, how much the story affects us emotionally. It's not about fun, it's about content. It's about experience.

And now, Gamespot has really screwed up. Now gamers are going to look at this handheld game and think it might be better than The Last of Us. THE LAST OF US. Do you know how many Game of the Year awards that got!? Jeez Gamespot.

Worst of all, now Nintendo is going to think that making titles like Link Between Two Worlds is alright. They're going to keep pumping out these SNES remakes and think that, "Oh, this will be fun for a new generation herp derp hope they like it." They won't learn that it's not about fun anymore! And it's all thanks to websites like Gamespot and all the man-children that bought Link Between Two Worlds.

You are the best. You are the best and I love you.

imae

Respectable choice, I feel it must have been tough to decide between ALBW, TLOU and 3DW.

GTAV was fantastic but i would put it just outside the final few - core mechanics still felt a little shaky in the fine areas and although it's technical achievements must be praised, mostly minor but sometimes very apparent performance issues still dampened the overall experience somewhat for me.

I haven't played Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons so can't comment on that one.

I don't feel that ACIV should have been on the nominees list, but it's a good game and I did enjoy playing through it.

I think for me it's SM 3DW but it's a tough one!.

I just wanted to tell you, Gamespot staff has seen this post and they love it:
shaun_mcinnis_neogaf_by_digi_matrix-d6yjnt0.png

https://twitter.com/smcinnis/status/413779758841737222

Laconic

Banned
My personal GotY is SMB3DW. Having said that, I have nothing but respect for Gamespot's choice. It is a phenomenal experience.

cafemomo

If I loved minish cap will I like this game?

3D Zelda ain't cutting for me it seems (with an exception of Wind Waker) and I'm going through Link's Awakening DX right now and I'm sorta loving it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

You need to die now. Because the secret of whether this is real or fake must never be revealed.

Does ANYONE who has played ALL (or rather, GTA V and TLOU) of the nominees agree with Gamespot that ALBW is the GOTY?

I get the feeling that the people saying ALBW is their GOTY haven't played GTA V or TLOU, and those that have one of the latter two games as GOTY haven't played ALBW.

Prove me wrong, GAF. This may just be a Nintendo vs. The World thing.
The only game on the list of 10 nominees that I haven't (yet) played is Path of Exile. So yes, I've played TLoU and GTA5, and I personally like the decision to give GotY to Zelda.

ghibli99

Great selection. A little short and easy, but the pace reminded me so much of ALttP and LADX, and the ideas in it show that Zelda still has lots of life in it. Can't wait to see what that team does next.

andymcc

Banned

3D Zelda ain't cutting for me it seems (with an exception of Wind Waker) and I'm going through Link's Awakening DX right now and I'm sorta loving it.

It takes a gigantic shit on minish cap and it is slightly better than link's awakening.

antitrop

The Last of Us is obviously my personal GOTY, but I think it's pretty cool that Gamespot picked something a little bit different.

I don't even own a 3DS, but I've heard that ALBW is the best Zelda game since A Link to The Past (my favorite Zelda game), so that's all fine by me.

Moff

Links Awakening is the best 2d zelda that follows the classic rules

ALBW however follows a different path.

LA, ALBW and OoT are my top 3 zeldas and I dont rank them against each other, because they are all different enough.

afoni

Banned

It's people like you that make me kick the neighbour's dog every time I leave the fucking house.

Mman235

The Citizen Kane of trolling

Malvingt2

Wth is going on in this thread? lol

GameSpot! McShea!!! It's my GOTY also, but I didn't expect any major publication to pick it, let along GameSpot. Are they trying to make amends for 8.8/7.5? If so, all is forgiven.

Fire Emblem is probably gonna be the 2nd or 1st place handheld game in Gaf's GoTY, but I guess that just reinforces your point.

Hell, Fire Emblem had more discussion in the major podcasts than any of the others, but it was still less that the big three and Luigi. If you aren't a Nintendo published portable game, people don't care. I guess it's better than not caring about portables at all, and again ALBW is a fine game, playing through it now and having a lot of fun, but I just don't see it being a runaway against the best portable games this year, let alone the console ones.

And the formula has honestly changed very little with it, which shows both how stagnant the series was yet how strong the foundation of it is that it can be such a revelation.

NintendoGAF is going to be impossible to deal with after this. :p

aparisi2274

You really should play A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS! It's a much better experience than A LINK BETWEEN TWO WORLDS! And if you are looking to argue a point, you will be in a better position if you call the GOTY by its correct name...

Also.... while LAST OF US was brilliant (and my personal choice for GOTG), it was mostly cinema sequences, where Zelda was ALL GAME!

Why are you so mad that a "Game" won GOTY over a Cinematic showpiece that had gaming elements??

Geeze, people are really getting bent out shape about this selection... like they had a hand in making the game that lost out to Zelda.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sigh. A very dark day for interactive electronic art. Not sure it's worth the effort to write my own GOTY list any more :(

ohlawd

You really should play A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS! It's a much better experience than A LINK BETWEEN TWO WORLDS! And if you are looking to argue a point, you will be in a better position if you call the GOTY by its correct name...

Also.... while LAST OF US was brilliant (and my personal choice for GOTG), it was mostly cinema sequences, where Zelda was ALL GAME!

Why are you so mad that a "Game" won GOTY over a Cinematic showpiece that had gaming elements??

Geeze, people are really getting bent out shape about this selection... like they had a hand in making the game that lost out to Zelda.
Please, please, please read the first paragraph. Don't just read it; understand it.

edit: oh, not your post, 1st paragraph in Mariolee's post.

chadboban

The joke
------------------------------>

Your head

Sigh. A very dark day for interactive electronic art. Not sure it's worth the effort to write my own GOTY list any more :(

same. not one person in zelda appears to be a beleaguered brown haired white male with facial hair going through parenting issues while also shooting men in the face. will anybody remember it?

monlo

good choice.

can't say it was the best choice personally, but if I was going to recommend any game to anyone this year, Link ALBW is the best recommendation for the most people I know. So, I guess it kinda makes sense. TLOU is great, but it's not for everyone.

can we blacklist Gamespot like we do Chartz and that Nintendo website

When you give GotY to an ugly remake of a SNES game, I think your credibility goes out the window. People just want to play the same shit again and again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
same. not one person in zelda appears to be a beleaguered brown haired white male with facial hair going through parenting issues while also shooting men in the face. will anybody remember it?

I had to check which Zelda you were referring to while reading this post because I had already forgotten one came out this year.

Kuro

Since they went with a handheld game for GOTY they should've given it to Fire Emblem because its a better game than new Zelda. New Zelda is too easy and a lot of the dungeons were just boring. Its a great game but not GOTY.

Edit: Did I mention how ugly ALBTW is?

Majestad

Banned
Since they went with a handheld game for GOTY they should've given it to Fire Emblem because its a better game than new Zelda. New Zelda is too easy and a lot of the dungeons were just boring. Its a great game but not GOTY.

How about no?

Frillen

Ugly, yes. But 60fps more than makes up for it.

valeo

Don't really care for game of the year lists but, as someone who hasn't played Zelda asking a question of someone who has - how much does the game play on the nostalgia factor? I feel like if a website is going to go through with these Game of the Year lists then it makes more sense to pick 'fresh' experiences, no?

Ansatz

Don't really care for game of the year lists but, as someone who hasn't played Zelda asking a question of someone who has - how much does the game play on the nostalgia factor? I feel like if a website is going to go through with these Game of the Year lists then it makes more sense to pick 'fresh' experiences, no?

I honestly don't even know what bolded means, so I can't answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom