• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffdgh

Gamespot really screwed the pooch on this one.

I've read through the entire thread, and you guys just don't get it: when a website chooses Game of the Year, they have a certain responsibility. Think about it, the gaming media has a lot of power over the minds of gamers. Where do we go for our gaming news? These websites. Where do we go for gaming reviews? These websites. Where do we go for analysis and predictions of companies that may or may not be wrong but take them as fact in our console war threads anyway? These fucking websites.

You see, it's not about what is the most fun game, but about the best game! And I'm sorry you guys, but Link Between Two Worlds is just objectionally not the best game. Reviewers should look at how much money was invested into these games, how much production time went into it, how much the story affects us emotionally. It's not about fun, it's about content. It's about experience.

And now, Gamespot has really screwed up. Now gamers are going to look at this handheld game and think it might be better than The Last of Us. THE LAST OF US. Do you know how many Game of the Year awards that got!? Jeez Gamespot.

Worst of all, now Nintendo is going to think that making titles like Link Between Two Worlds is alright. They're going to keep pumping out these SNES remakes and think that, "Oh, this will be fun for a new generation herp derp hope they like it." They won't learn that it's not about fun anymore! And it's all thanks to websites like Gamespot and all the man-children that bought Link Between Two Worlds.

Hope you guys enjoy your new gaming future, I'm out.

I say bravo. hope no one thinks you're serious lol.

But, but that Zelda game was not even the best game of the year on the 3DS. That spot should be for
Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Gigglepoo

I will say, I kind of wish Gamespot copied Giantbomb and recorded their deliberations, just because it'd be funny to see people react to how Zelda got selected.

It would be a lot less interesting than you'd imagine. There was very little argument against The Legend of Zelda for Game of the Year. Kind of surprised (and pleased) me actually. Just about everyone who played it loved it, so even those who preferred GTA (for instance), were still fine with Zelda winning.

Ridley327

I've read through the entire thread, and you guys just don't get it: when a website chooses Game of the Year, they have a certain responsibility. Think about it, the gaming media has a lot of power over the minds of gamers. Where do we go for our gaming news? These websites. Where do we go for gaming reviews? These websites. Where do we go for analysis and predictions of companies that may or may not be wrong but take them as fact in our console war threads anyway? These fucking websites.

You see, it's not about what is the most fun game, but about the best game! And I'm sorry you guys, but Link Between Two Worlds is just objectionally not the best game. Reviewers should look at how much money was invested into these games, how much production time went into it, how much the story affects us emotionally. It's not about fun, it's about content. It's about experience.

And now, Gamespot has really screwed up. Now gamers are going to look at this handheld game and think it might be better than The Last of Us. THE LAST OF US. Do you know how many Game of the Year awards that got!? Jeez Gamespot.

Worst of all, now Nintendo is going to think that making titles like Link Between Two Worlds is alright. They're going to keep pumping out these SNES remakes and think that, "Oh, this will be fun for a new generation herp derp hope they like it." They won't learn that it's not about fun anymore! And it's all thanks to websites like Gamespot and all the man-children that bought Link Between Two Worlds.

9.2/10

chadboban

Magneto-perfection.gif

Hey OP, we actually had ten nominees:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Last of Us
BioShock Infinite
Super Mario 3D World
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Path of Exile
Dota 2
Gone Home
Assassin's Creed IV
Grand Theft Auto V

Yeah, I messed up pretty bad there.

Thanks to the mods for bailing me out.

GBxsON3.gif

Wensih

Speak for yourself when you say you get reviews, news, etc. from gaming websites. Gamespot can't write for shit, so I rarely go their for news. There are faster more convenient ways that news travels now. Forums, reddit, directly from the developer, etc. If I took stock in any reviews then I wouldn't be having fun with Killer is Dead which was lambasted by critics. I have critical thinking skills to analysis things for myself too. I don't need a video game reviewer to tell me something that might not even be true, i.e. Tom McShea's analysis of Joel from The Last of Us.

I use GameSpot for the occasional forum post although they screwed that up earlier this year with the site update. The only place I go for others' opinions is GiantBomb, but they're not opinions that I make my own all the time.

Money investment doesn't mean anything. A game should be judged based on what the game itself not any other underlying motivation behind the game, i.e. developer/publisher investment/profit.

EDIT: I know you're being sarcastic. :p

cafemomo

I know right.

Thanks to some shitty uspcaled version of a SNES games, games like Battlefield 4, BioShock Infinite, etc are being robbed of their glory.

GG gamespot

Wensih

I love nintendo, but I have played The Last of Us and it is a great game that is definitely GOTY worthy.

It's an either/or situation. Playing both games, I can see why either could win a game of the year award.

I haven't played ALBW yet, but I felt the same way with the VGX debacle.

Astral Dog

A link between worlds or Fire emblem awakening would be my "handheld" game of the year maybe because its difficult to me to compare them with console games, with GTAV as overall game of the year ( i have not played Last of us yet), but i would say everybody has a different opinión, and the editors of Gamespot choose an excellent handheld title, i dont see the problem about that.

traveler

Not Wario
a japanese handheld game of the year. i know it's zelda, but this is a unicorn.

i'm looking forward to playing it. i love zelda, but i have no idea how this is so well-received (yet). i'm trying to keep my expectations in check.

for me, the best games of the year are a bunch of platformers, and i wouldn't have it any other way. the last of us is also up there, which speaks to the quality of the type of game it is when i normally don't enjoy that kind of thing. i mean if i like it, then others must really love it.

TLOU, while not the game of the year or even in the top 5 for me at this point, was my biggest surprise of the year for sure. I'm not sure what it is about it that has it appealing to those of us who don't like that sort of thing, but I really enjoyed it, even fully expecting to hate it. I'd really come to despise what Uncharted and its success represents in the industry, so to have TLoU breakthrough- well, I won't be giving it GotY as stated, but, yeah, I can totally see how those who actually liked Uncharted might find it the best thing since sliced bread.

Busaiku

This is what I've been waiting for.

GetemMa

You sir are the Steven Colbert of GAF. Aren't you?

You see. I just went and argued how annoying it is when GAF users respond to peoples opinions and statements with, "This is a joke right? It has to be right?"

THEN YOU GO AND POST THIS. GODDAM YOU!

Timeaisis

And we're done here. 10/10

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'm just confused. And entertained. And I don't know how they pick GotY. It's a mystery to everyone.

emb

:O

lol, great post overall. I might print it and frame it. ;)

spirity

GameSpot trying to be contrarian. No matter - TLoU remains the most awarded game of the year.

I don't know why people get so worked up about stuff like this. Gamespot has every right to name whatever game they feel deserves their award. Its their award, after all.

I'm not a Nintendo type of gamer, but I'm more than happy they gave it to Zelda. One game will not please everyone, and the more diverse the various GOTY's are from various outlets, the more interesting they are to read. Nothing turns me off quicker than 50 different sources all proclaiming one game as GOTY. We should be looking at that situation and thinking "damn was the year really that starved for quality games" and not "nope, should have fell in line with everyone else".

Game's don't need to provide social commentary to be the best game in a given year. Having social commentary certainly adds value to the game, just like other elements add value to a game (such as music, art direction etc.) But a story/theme or social commentary is not necessary. If we start viewing games that DON'T have these as being less, then there is something seriously wrong.

Also to throw this back at you, I would argue some of the best films of all time don't have deep social commentary or an extensive plot at all. Cinema goes beyond just the story/written word. There are so many elements that make up film (again, such as cinematography, lighting, set/costume design, music etc.). We don't judge films entirely on them having a deep story or commentary.

Does it help when films have those things? Sure. But it doesn't have to have them to be great. So why should this unrealistic measurement be placed on Video Games.

Still amazed that so few realize that the social commentary post was a joke.

Great game design is great game design. It has nothing to do with nostalgia. Reskin ALBW with different characters, monsters etc. and it would still be a great game. Trying to dismiss a game because it belongs to an old IP is really lazy. How about you actually list some flaws of the game instead, which make it undeserving of being GOTY?

Reskin ALBW with different characters, monsters, etc and it doesn't get half the love from the gaming press that it is now. Reskin it and I guarantee that it isn't even in the discussion for GOTY. Not because it wouldn't be worthy of contention, but because it wouldn't be a Zelda game. We had a great year for portables this year, yet all the discussion in the media seemed to boil down to three games: Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Zelda. Luigi's Mansion got a bit of hype as well. All four of them were Nintendo games. This is the same year that gave us SMT4, Phoenix Wright: DD, Soul Hackers, Tearaway, Ys: Memories of Celceta and Fire Emblem. All of them games that should have been in the running. Most employees of any media outlet probably didn't play more than 1 or 2 of this list.

Zelda and Mario games at least get tried out by just about everyone, not so lucky if you are an also ran. Consoles allow for a sleeper hit to rise to the top, look at Demons Souls and Dark Souls as an example. That luxury just isn't afforded portable titles.

He's joking. Come on.

People are very bad at figuring out joke posts in this thread.

SoilBreak

Banned

ipWdFq64iZZln.gif

Card Boy

Banned
This thread is a fucken salt mine. How many of played A Link Between Worlds? My guess is barely anyone that is upset. I'm sure your precious Last of Us and GTA5 will be hive minded by 50 other websites and will win GOTY.

A Link Between Worlds was one of the first games in a long time i played long sessions of and couldn't stop playing, its that good.

Sanjuro

I read this thread and decided to pick up that Zelda 3DS while it's still $150. Snagged the last one, the girl in the electronics was geeking out over it.

Haven't enjoyed a entry in the series since Oracle of Ages/Seasons. Hope it's good!

this is true. we need to have a law passed that says games can't be fun anymore.

phanphare

Banned
I read this thread and decided to pick up that Zelda 3DS while it's still $150. Snagged the last one, the girl in the electronics was geeking out over it.

Haven't enjoyed a entry in the series since Oracle of Ages/Seasons. Hope it's good!

you done good sir

Damn yo, you shoulda asked her to come over and play with your 3dees.

But on topic, I picked up ALBW yesterday and I may have to agree with the goty talk. I've always been a fan of top down Zelda games, but ALBW is fun I haven't had in a long time with a game. I'm only just getting to Lorule, so I know it's only going to get better.

Cosmozone

Wow. Comes sure as a surprise, I was pretty confident that it's going to be a split between TLOU and GTAV for all mainstream media. Would be great if it could beat even my personal favorite W101 (haven't played Zelda yet).

y2dvd

Mariolee almost got me, I was almost horrified that people might actually think that way, but then I snapped back to reality.

Have you not seen some of the responses in this very thread? People have thought this way and that's why that post wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a joke post lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom