• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar: It’s time for Nintendo to admit defeat and make a true next-gen console

I am questioning the head-in-the-sand attitude Nintendo is publicly displaying. Part of me admires Iwata for declaring that Nintendo never follows trends because it prefers to set them instead. But by steadfastly refusing to make a console that caters to the needs and tastes of everyday gamers, surely that thinking is just plain stubborn?

The record-breaking uptake of next-gen machines is evidence--if evidence were needed--that the gaming public is tired of playing with console technology that dates back to 2005. If it hasn’t technically been the longest generation ever, it sure does feel like it. And I for one am tired of seeing PC games looking amazing while my console versions struggle to maintain 30fps. Now I own a PS4, I feel like I can breathe again, away from the suffocating exhaust from outdated hardware struggling to stay contemporary. Next-gen has cleared the air.

But Wii U is not next-gen. It’s still stuck in 2005. Sure, it’s a got a superb, high-res touchscreen, which is technically superior to Sony’s PS Vita Remote play (at least at present) and this comes in the box with the console, but essentially Wii U is technically on a par with last-gen machines, aping the Wii’s winning tactic from the previous era. But where Vita was never intended to be an intrinsic part of PS4 and has just turned out to work extremely well with it, the GamePad was meant to be a big part of the Wii U experience. And it hasn’t proved its worth in that respect.

But is it worth that struggle? Maybe it would be better for the company to cut its losses and start again with a new console. If developed now, a new Nintendo machine would likely be ready in time for Christmas 2015. By then, it would be too soon for Sony and Microsoft to counter it with another launch, giving Nintendo the chance to offer a more powerful console at around the price of PS4 and XO right now.

Wii U owners could be given a large discount at launch to say sorry (perhaps similar to 3DS’ Ambassador program), 3DS will keep the Nintendo brand at the forefront of people’s minds (and for the right reasons too), and development resources won’t have been split between bailing out the sinking Wii U ship and developing the inevitable next-generation machine. It just makes sense.

http://www.gamesradar.com/its-time-nintendo-admit-defeat-and-make-true-next-gen-console/

Banned
How can you admit defeat when you were never in the competition to begin with?

I agree with Nintendo needing to abandon the Wii U and play catch up at least to the XB1/PS4.

CCIE

Banned
I grew up loving Nintendo... but they could make SO MUCH MONEY if they would swallow their pride and become a third party. Their hardware just isn't anything special - and hasn't been for years.

Truly depressing for someone raised on Nintendo.

Foshy

They'll probably be releasing a new handheld with Vita level specs in late 2014/2015 and focus all their releases on that. Maybe it'll have HDMI out or something.

There won't be a true "next-gen" console for them in the near future. I mean, I'd like it too but it'd make no sense.

No thanks. This dude is all sorts of wrong. The Wii U will be around for another 3 or 4 years. Then a new nintendo console will be released.

/end

Riki

That would be the dumbest thing they can do...
Yes, let's sink billions in to a new system that has no guarantees while alienating millions of consumers.
Brilliant.

Linkhero1

Yeah because they can whip out an entirely new console like magic. Even if they could, it wouldn't alleviate a lot of the problems they're facing.

I grew up loving Nintendo... but they could make SO MUCH MONEY if they would swallow their pride and become a third party. Their hardware just isn't anything special - and hasn't been for years.

And buy how many machines to play the games?

Riki

Doesn't Nintendo make more than most third party publishers?
So where are you getting this idea from that they would do better as third party.

MOPP 4

Banned
I leave /v/ for a couple days because of all the WiiU threads, and now I find out it's here as well.

Nintendo is far from dead. Companies are allowed to release bad product after bad product and still be alive. Take a look at Black Berry. If anyone is dumb enough to think Nintendo is doomed with the WiiU, I think they should just read a book about how businesses run.

Herne

Ugh. That'd piss off Wii U owners to no end. Let us see the sales for this Christmas before panicking.

MADGAME

I'm also in the camp that believes it isn't the console, especially not the "power". When the Wii was released it was vastly underpowered compared to 360/ps3. It had so much appeal to casuals and core gamers, something the U doesn't currently have.

A new console isn't going to fix that problem.

One of Nintendo's key problems is its inability to create enough new games for its platform. One of the reasons behind this is due to their recent shift to HD development.

So the solution is the burden Nintendo with even more power on brand new architecture? We'll be lucky to get two games a year from them at this rate.

NotLiquid

I don't think these guys realize it isn't as much of a fast track as they think it is.

I like my Wii U and want to see what Nintendo can get out of it, so they can take their time as far as I'm concerned. I'll be getting all other games on PS4.

mantidor

Record breaking PS4/X1 sales are proof of Sony and MS incredible efforts in supplying consoles like never before. The Wii U also sold out it's initial alloted numbers in launch.

The test comes after the holidays.

JordanN

Banned
I wonder what's going to come first: The Nintendo handheld or the Nintendo console?

3DS is all they have left so Nintendo will want to milk it for all its worth. But it's also going to get old soon.

Taurus

Yeah, just like Sega. I mean look at dem rollin' in the money$$$

Gartooth

It'd be a huge moneysink though. Firstly they risk damaging their brand even further with the unhappy Wii U owners that bothered to support them. Then you have to factor in the cost of the "compensation" along with R&D on the new console and the higher costs of development for PS4/Xbone equivalent games. Regardless of my dissatisfaction with Nintendo's hardware, pulling a console like this out in 2015 just sounds like a stupidly high risk idea considering PS4 and Xbone will already be cemented in the market by then.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I think they should look at launching a new system in 2016, 2 to 3 years before a PS5/Nextbox. That will give them half a gen of being the place for the best quality console games and a chance to wave the "tech card".

zma1013

How can you admit defeat when you were never in the competition to begin with?

I agree with Nintendo needing to abandon the Wii U and play catch up at least to the XB1/PS4.

That would be the worst thing they could do. Unfortunately, they have to ride this one out. Abandoning the console would put all future Nintendo consoles in question as to whether they were going to be canceled after a year or not. If they can salvage the Wii U to at least a Gamecube level, they'll be fine and then they can try again next gen.

Averon

Wow.

The media was praising Nintendo and the Wii U just a week ago. I thought the goodwill would stay until big name exclusives showed up for the PS4 and Xbone.

Cheech

Nintendo is far from dead. Companies are allowed to release bad product after bad product and still be alive. Take a look at Black Berry. If anyone is dumb enough to think Nintendo is doomed with the WiiU, I think they should just read a book about how businesses run.

If only Blackberry had done that...

The Wii U is dead as dogshit. Did you guys miss the fact that a new 3D Mario game came out and bombed in Japan? Just curious.

cormack12

Gold Member
Doesn't most of the 1st party stuff run at 1080/60 anyway?

I don't think there's a lot that some of these games would benefit from. Games like SM3DW and Pikmin look fantastic. That's mainly due to their art style. LEGO city undercover is still a system seller to me.

I suppose the gain would be the third party stuff running on their box equivalent to that of rivals.

Honestly, I think the problem the Wii U has for me is that I'm fed up of Mario games in general and there's not enough diversity in other titles for a broad audience. If you're gonna go pretty much 1st party only then you need many more games across the spectrum.

Linkhero1

I hear this time and time again, but this won't help them in the long run. They will end up restructuring and shrinking like Sega. There's no way Nintendo will be able to manage the amount of studios it currently has if it went third party.

Edit: Anihawk made a good point in one of the other Wii U threads. If I find that post, I will link it here.

Top Bottom