• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop opens new "Retro Classics" gaming section (PS1/N64/DC/NES/SNES/Genesis)

amnesiac

This is literally the worst time to get into retro gaming.

10 years ago, stores couldn't get rid of Mario 3, and now you have to pay $20 to get a copy. It's insane.

so you mean if some 4chan dork calls up and asks for battletoads, they can finally answer "yes"?
Per a GameStop employee on Reddit:

mbx0Y7p.jpg

so you mean if some 4chan dork calls up and asks for battletoads, they can finally answer "yes"?

Slightly OT, but I went to GS this weekend to pay off the rest of my Arkham Knight preorder, and they had a placeholder pre-order display case for Rare Replay. The game they chose to put on the cover to represent it? Battletoads. Thought that was kinda funny.

Ultratech

Prices seem hit or miss.

Most don't seem too bad, but others are just lol.

PS1 Tales games are pretty expensive I noticed.
(Destiny is $80, Destiny II/Eternia is $90)

bounchfx

some of these prices are borderline insulting, but I guess that's what to expect from GameStop

plus it's been a hell of a lot longer than it feels since these games were new. damn.

Soltype

10 bucks for Altered Beast loose?, they got to be kidding.My local game store has them loose for 2.85, and like 4.85 for CIB.40 for Castlevania Bloodlines, I spent 8.85 for it CIB, these prices are nuts.

Use videogames.pricecharting.com to track estimated values.

Here's Super Castlevania IV: http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/super-castlevania-iv

Gamestop wants $45. Loose with estimated shipping is about $35.50.

I bought Super Castlevania IV along with DKC and DKC2 from Craiglist last year for $45 total. Gamestop wants $95 for the same. Sure, Craiglist and other retail options are more random (and possibly more stabby), but these seem like usual Gamestop inflated prices. A savvy consumer can do better.

and sold listings for about the past month vary from $30- low $40s, some with free shipping, some without:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Games...lete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

lowest on amazon is 37.99 + 3.99 shipping

video game price charts is not super accurate--why do estimated values when you have the sold listings available? and gamestop doesn't aim for savvy consumers. Ebay/amazon is hardly for savvy consumers. Everyone shopping on these sites wants convenience. And with gamestop, you at least have a quick return at your disposal.

I doubt I'll buy from them, but the stretching to make this out to be a bad thing is misguided. This should help deflate the market a little.

dickroach

I don't run into too many local shops with retro games in Florida, and whenever I have the prices were always a bit higher than eBay. everything's pretty reasonable from Gamestop. if they start carrying the games at stores locally I'm sure I'll pick some up as impulse buys

10 bucks for Altered Beast loose?, they got to be kidding.My local game store has them loose for 2.85, and like 4.85 for CIB.40 for Castlevania Bloodlines, I spent 8.85 for it CIB, these prices are nuts.

congrats on finding a price mistake on bloodlines:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Games...es&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

but agreed about altered beast. the only prices that made me raise an eyebrow were the ones on more common games. they seem reluctant to go below $10 on anything.

I'm surprised some of these companies don't work harder to get the games on digital consoles or reprint some of these older games. Clearly there is a niche market for this stuff that the publishers are not getting a cut from.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
lol Mega Man Legends 2 cost $80 that's high for a pre owned copy.

illadelph

I'm surprised some of these companies don't work harder to get the games on digital consoles or reprint some of these older games. Clearly there is a niche market for this stuff that the publishers are not getting a cut from.

I always think about this too. Like how classic vinyl records are always getting reprinted and shit, some company should embrace the retro gaming scene

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This pleases me greatly, I'm glad some of the prices are reasonable, but some are ridiculous.

Cool to grab a SNES for $60, but how the hell would you even hook that up to a modern TV with only HDMI ports?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
lol Mega Man Legends 2 cost $80 that's high for a pre owned copy.
Pretty much the price on Amazon, & that's ONLY the disc. It's gonna cost $100+ if you want the actual case........or ya know, we might get lucky & it'll get released on PSN for $6. Edit; & what amnesiac said/linked to.

Dreamcast & PS1 titles, for the most part, are priced reasonably. I REALLY wanted to get Bangai-O for Dreamcast since it's about $60 on Amazon & only $30 via GS, but not available online....

Though yes, some of the S/NES & Genesis stuff are questionable.

holy shit, 80 bucks for cannon spike?
It's freakin' $110 on Amazon. $150+ if you want the case & manual.

Looks like I did even better than I thought.I bought around 4 years ago, were the prices always so high?
i2idM2km.jpg

nah, retro game prices have gotten crazy over the past few years. Genesis stuff is starting to get up there. That's why i'm telling people to check out ebay prices before going nuts-- the retro struggle is real :(

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
An extra $10 doesn't seem unreasonable for the convenience factor, plus the "peace of mind" from buying from a known establishment.

The difference in cost depends on game. FFVI for SNES is the same price on the charting site and Gamestop. Same goes for Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Soltype

nah, retro game prices have gotten crazy over the past few years. Genesis stuff is starting to get up there. That's why i'm telling people to check out ebay prices before going nuts-- the retro struggle is real :(

Glad I'm wrapping up my Genesis collection then, I only really have Yu Yu Hakusho and Panorama Cotton left.

I have to admit it's really cool to see Dreamcast and N64 games in such a big mainstream retailer again. Takes me back.

But those prices... yeah. I think I'll stick to Ebay. GameStop would have to be a last resort for me.

Carnby

I wouldn't order retro games from GameStop. Id rather buy from an online seller who describes the condition of the game.

Yup. That's why I'm going after PS2 era games right now. Still super cheap and the current nostalgia generation hasn't properly dominated that era of gaming yet.

meanspartan

The prices are...fair-ish. Not being able to see what condition they are in sucks kinda, but it's Gamestop not craigslist so if you get something awful I'm sure you can return it relatively painlessly.

I am also curious if things like Genesis games come with their cases. SNES and 64 were cardboard so I don't expect it from those but I hope Genny games have boxes.

Haines

Banned
Played the living shit out of all these old systems and have no desire for old.physical stuff

So much of it has been rereleased in better form or on VC or something along those lines.

If they were cheap? Maybe. Not at these prices tho

RM8

Played the living shit out of all these old systems and have no desire for old.physical stuff

So much of it has been rereleased in better form or on VC or something along those lines.

If they were cheap? Maybe. Not at these prices tho
A ton of old games will never make it to VC / PSN or whatever, so sadly there's no better alternative.

Top Bottom