• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop opens new "Retro Classics" gaming section (PS1/N64/DC/NES/SNES/Genesis)

meanspartan

Looks like I did even better than I thought.I bought around 4 years ago, were the prices always so high?
i2idM2km.jpg

Us 80s and 90s kids are getting to the point where we are in established careers with steady income. Meaning we are paying top dollars to relive our awesome childhood :-D

And reseller scum are taking advantage of our nostalgia and driving up the prices even further. While I think prices will always be relatively high for these gens, I do think they will come back down a little eventually.

And outside of some rare title, I don't think Gen 6 and on will ever reach this craziness.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Played the living shit out of all these old systems and have no desire for old.physical stuff

So much of it has been rereleased in better form or on VC or something along those lines.

If they were cheap? Maybe. Not at these prices tho
Pretty much how I treat retro shopping now. "Will this come to PSN/VC/Xbox Live? Can I get this via HD Collection? Is there a better "version" out there?"

Though if the price is right &/or I know they won't get re-released anytime soon, I'll still get physical copies.

Bought Shadow Hearts: From The New World today actually since I knew because the developer went out of business or something, there won't be a HD Collection of the Shadow Heart series.

........though I'm sure since I bought MMX: Command Mission (GCN), the PS2 version will hit PSN in a few months for $10.

Drago

And outside of some rare title, I don't think Gen 6 and on will ever reach this craziness.
I dunno, Gamecube prices are already kinda crazy for more than a few titles. Most first party games you'll rarely find for less than $25-30 and a lot of games are well past that point already.

Melee will run you about $50 these days for fucks sakes. The best selling game on the system. It's crazy.

PS2 and Xbox are still pretty cheap on the whole, last I checked (it's been a lil while since I did though)

Soltype

be glad you don't have to grab MUSHA or Crusader Of Centy

Never wanted Musha, but I got a cart and book for Crusader of Centy.I wish it came in a clamshell, probably would have lasted longer.I would never pay that though much for a game that comes in those paper boxes.

jackal27

Banned
Either this is a insanely overpriced, prices have really REALLY shot up since I was hardcore collecting 3 years ago, or my local Mom and Pop shop has really cheap prices.

Psx prices seem pretty reasonable. Some more so than othera.
Either this is a insanely overpriced, prices have really REALLY shot up since I was hardcore collecting 3 years ago, or my local Mom and Pop shop has really cheap prices.
Prices seem pretty close to eBay prices. The market has inflated quite a bit.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Anyone know if they plan on supporting the Atari
Jaguar? Serious question. Had a ton of fun with it
and it still rocks the best Aliens vs. Predator game imho. Iron Soldier was awesome too.

I'm thinking about buying some dreamcast games but i really want to see impresions from people who order first.

I expect that the PS1 and dreamcast prices are so reasonable because 90% of their stock is old disc only stock from years back that they sat on in storage.

dukeoflegs

I'll probably do some comparisons when I go to my local used shop. The place I usually go to has jacked up the prices a lot. All NES games start at $20 now (even extremely common games). They haven't jacked up the prices on Genesis or SNES games yet but I am sure they will soon enough.
I'm not a real big collector but I do buy games that I miss or games I missed out on.

Richie

Why can't we have something like this in Mexico? :[

Dude, I'm from Sinaloa, and I can tell you right here, right now that these prices are ripoffs. There's a retro place here that's practically wallpaper'd in used retro games. The N64 ones range from 13 to 19 USD, if not cheaper. To see these guys selling the likes of MP2 and Smash for 45 bucks pre-owned is hilarious! (doubly so if you consider they're ten a pop in the VC!)

Dishwalla

Banned
eh, don't see a lot that grabs me. maybe if they sold these games in their stores i'd be more interested, but as it stands i'll continue to support my local shops, and if i want something off the internet i'll hit up ebay. don't really see the point of this, especially when many of the games are out of stock anyway.

jholmes

Some of the software is OK (Pac-Man 2 for SNES and Tetris for NES each for $7? Good value!) but the real good side of this is the hardware. It's very fairly priced and if you don't have to worry about shipping (do you?) I would go to GameStop exclusively for retro hardware.

meanspartan

I dunno, Gamecube prices are already kinda crazy for more than a few titles. Most first party games you'll rarely find for less than $25-30 and a lot of games are well past that point already.

Melee will run you about $50 these days for fucks sakes. The best selling game on the system. It's crazy.

PS2 and Xbox are still pretty cheap on the whole, last I checked (it's been a lil while since I did though)

Well Nintendo will always be expensive, it's just a fact of life. Very few of their games drop below even $20. Maybe some original Game Boy titles that haven't aged too well, that's about it.

But in general ya, Gamecube is more pricey than Ps2 or Xbox. Three months ago I was at the Goodwill store around the corner of my house and found Animal Crossing, Mario Sunshine, and Fzeo GX for $4 each grouped with the DVDs. I was fucking ECSTATIC at my good fortune. Not often you get that kind of dumb luck any more as even Goodwill generally puts games on their auction website which is infested with resellers. Thank god for a lazy goodwill employee not checking all the DVDs to make sure they were actually DVDs haha

Some of these prices are decent x what people list on eBay / Amazon

Using GameStop gift cards x power up rewards certificates might make this a better deal

meanspartan

Nah man, Gamecube prices are insane right now. The games you would want are at $30 and above easy. Melee is 60+. The component cables went from 80 bucks a few years ago to....

aFr6zQh.png

woah....

At that price, I would rather buy an XRGB mini for about $30 more. That way all my old consoles can be upscaled to 720p.

dhonk

I had a cube and the component cables. My wii with monster cable component cables smoked the cube component output when playing gc games.

People get this conclusion from here.

He uses official d-terminal cables for both. (Its basically component with a diff plug end that was pretty much only used in Japan.)

SegaShack

Everyone complaining about prices has to realize Gamestop had amazing prices for the older games up until they stopped carrying them in 2005. Most my SNES and N64 games are from there.

TSM

People get this conclusion from here.

He uses official d-terminal cables for both. (Its basically component with a diff plug end that was pretty much only used in Japan.)

Haha, I actually dug up what I had to say on 24 May 2007 - 04:05 PM on another forum:

I have to really give credit to Nintendo, the backwards compatibility looks awesome. I just got my Wii today and connected it to my XBR2 using the Wii monster cables. The damn picture is so sharp you feel like you might cut yourself accidentally. I had played all my cube games using the official cube component cables. I don't know whether it's the monster cables or just an awesome video subsection in the Wii (probably a combination of the 2), but the cube can't even hold a candle to the Wii with it's own games. All the games look like a level of bluriness has been taken away. Colors are excellent. I have to hand it to Nintendo for really getting it done right.

I was way into calibration and such back then. My 40" XBR2 CRT was a hell of a TV. Too bad I let it go, but you only want to move a 350 pound TV so many times.

Lijik

Glanced through the n64 stuff, and most of the prices are pretty decent and within range of what you'd have to pay at a local store or on ebay/amazon give or take 5 dollars.

If I wanted to go all John Hammond, I would get a psone and an NES and a bunch of games for each.

I think I'll wait and see if anything comes into my local GameStop and decide then.

Tales of Destiny 2 for $90? how much they going to give me if i sell it to them lol.
$9 store credit/ $2 cash. You can put that towards a "pro" membership! /s

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know some people like to collect old games so...

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/retro-classics

IGN said:
Video game retailer GameStop has expanded its product lineup to include used copies of classic games and refurbished video game consoles.

This includes the Nintendo 64, Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Genesis, original PlayStation, and several games for these systems.
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/22/gamestop-now-offers-retro-games-consoles

Arkeband

Banned
There are a lot of retro gaming stores in my area, and they all seem to do absolutely zero business. I think GameStop entering this sphere will effectively kill them off.

My main question toward this is, where is GameStop getting their stock of these systems and games? They aren't actually being manufactured anymore and 'refurbishing' only gets you so far, and I can't imagine it's the cheapest thing in the world to be refreshing old tech.

There are a lot of retro gaming stores in my area, and they all seem to do absolutely zero business. I think GameStop entering this sphere will effectively kill them off.

My main question toward this is, where is GameStop getting their stock of these systems and games? They aren't actually being manufactured anymore and 'refurbishing' only gets you so far, and I can't imagine it's the cheapest thing in the world to be refreshing old tech.
They started accepting trade-ins a couple months ago. Also, it's assumed they had some old stuff stockpiled because they offered some NES and SNES games online that were redeemable through their rewards program.

Yeah, this would actually be great if it were in-store. Or if the prices were actually low. But as it's online only and the prices aren't any better than other means, I might as well continue buying from private collectors or through eBay.

Top Bottom