• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop opens Nintendo 3DS preorders in Canada, sets 20th March release and $299 pri

Mr. B

I can wait. The games aren't going anywhere and they're inevitably going to release a updated version with better hardware at a lower price.

charlequin said:
An excessive early price actually reduces demand as people on the bubble decide they don't need your prodcut after all, and you don't get those people back by dropping to a still high but not extremely high price (like, say, $250.) If you drop too fast, you piss off early adopters and make your product look like a failure, plus you encourage people to wait for even more price drops (this is why Nintendo's stated preference is to never drop prices if they can help it.)
If you want to spend a set amount of money of production and go with a more or less constant production level, that might be incentive to start at a higher price point. I don't think Nintendo has been that concerned about optimizing how it handles production but I could be wrong.

Even 250 is too much for a handheld for me.

Given the choice between a 360 and 1 game or a PS3, I'd go for those two. And this is coming from someone who absolutely adores his DS.

Oh well, I guess I'll enjoy cheap DS games for a few years, and when the 3DS moves down to 150-180, I'll bite. I was looking foreward to it, although I'll wait until the price is official before passing final judgment

Blizzard

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Even 250 is too much for a handheld for me.

Given the choice between a 360 and 1 game or a PS3, I'd go for those two. And this is coming from someone who absolutely adores his DS.

Oh well, I guess I'll enjoy cheap DS games for a few years, and when the 3DS moves down to 150-180, I'll bite. I was looking foreward to it, although I'll wait until the price is official before passing final judgment
Has a Nintendo handheld ever dropped $120-150 in price? Of course, I guess not many handhelds have retailed for that much, so...has a Nintendo SYSTEM ever dropped $120-150 in price over their lifetime? I know that Nintendo games tend to not be discounted very much.

I have been looking forward to a 3DS, I own both a DS lite and a DSi, and I might still get the 3DS, but even I hesitate when I think "Hey, I could probably get a 360 or PS3 for this sort of cash". Plus I don't know if 3DS game prices have been standardized yet, so I'm not sure about factoring in the cost of games.

Blizzard said:
Has a Nintendo handheld ever dropped $120-150 in price? Of course, I guess not many handhelds have retailed for that much, so...has a Nintendo SYSTEM ever dropped $120-150 in price over their lifetime? I know that Nintendo games tend to not be discounted very much.

I have been looking forward to a 3DS, I own both a DS lite and a DSi, and I might still get the 3DS, but even I hesitate when I think "Hey, I could probably get a 360 or PS3 for this sort of cash". Plus I don't know if 3DS game prices have been standardized yet, so I'm not sure about factoring in the cost of games.
I'm one who buys into those new value packages Nintendo does. So if the price is, say 250, but it comes with 2 games I want and would have bought anyway, I can justify my purchase.

Quixzlizx

Only serious early-adopter chumps would pay a $299 launch price, especially knowing that a better revision will be out in a year.

TEJ

Even though i'd rather pay 200, i'd still think 300 + the price of the three games is worth it if Pilotwings, zelda OoT, and super street fighter 4 are all launch games.

Emitan

Whatever they're charging, I doubt Nintendo is going to do any price drops. The DS moved $20 away from it's original price throughout it's 6 year lifespan. I hope it's not $300, but I get so much more entertainment out of my Nintendo handhelds than I do my consoles, so I still think it's a price that I'm going to pay.

Blizzard

Banned
Billychu said:
Whatever they're charging, I doubt Nintendo is going to do any price drops. The DS moved $20 away from it's original price throughout it's 6 year lifespan. I hope it's not $300, but I get so much more entertainment out of my Nintendo handhelds than I do my consoles, so I still think it's a price that I'm going to pay.
Thank you, that's kind of what I was afraid of. :p I guess we'll see what bundles might exist.

Also, wasn't the DS lite a year and a half after the DS? That's like, a whole half year over a year! :D

Rich!

Quixzlizx said:
Only serious early-adopter chumps would pay a $299 launch price, especially knowing that a better revision will be out in a year.

I brought the DS phat at release, and didn't buy a lite until the DSi came out.

I'll do the same with the 3DS. I want my portable 3D OOT as soon as possible, thankyouverymuch.

To be totally honest, the lure of a handheld, updated version of my favourite game of all time is something I absolutely cannot ignore - the 3D is just the icing on the cake. I need it, damnit. :lol

apana

Quixzlizx said:

A reasonalbe scenario is that Nintendo will have a 3DS priced at 250 dollars a year later. So someone decided to pay 50 dollars extra to get it at launch, what's the big deal? Wont they get to play Resident Evil, Zelda, Starfox, etc in 3D a year early?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Quixzlizx said:
Why buy an iPhone 4 now? The iPhone 5 is around the corner.

Emitan

richisawesome said:
I brought the DS phat at release, and didn't buy a lite until the DSi came out.

I'll do the same with the 3DS. I want my portable 3D OOT as soon as possible, thankyouverymuch.
I did the exact same thing. And I only replaced the phat because it died in a rainstorm.

Rich!

Lonely1 said:
Why buy an iPhone 4 now? The iPhone 5 is around the corner.

If I had this mentality about every technology, I wouldn't end up buying anything.

Launch: 'Oh, the 3DS is out!! Ahh, I wont buy it, they'll release a new one soon enough!'

2013: 'ohh, the 3DS lite is out next week! Ahhh, I will just wait for the inevitable 3DSi!! LOL'

2016: 'What, Nintendo have just announced a new handheld? I've missed out on the 3DS? Why the fuck have I waited 5 years to buy one? Oh well, I won't get this one at launch - i'll wait for the inevitable Lite version!'.

And so on, until the end of time.

rpmurphy

Quixzlizx said:
Yeah, but the transition from DS to DSL was significant in both form and function, and so was from DSL to DSi to a lesser extent. With the 3DS essentially covering all the bases of what a modern handheld needs, it's difficult to say what other significant things they could add to a hardware revision.

Emitan

rpmurphy said:
Yeah, but the transition from DS to DSL was significant in both form and function, and so was from DSL to DSi to a lesser extent. With the 3DS essentially covering all the bases of what a modern handheld needs, it's difficult to say what other significant things they could add to a hardware revision.
The screens have brightness issues, which is why they have that black border around them. Increasing the screen brightness is really the only thing I can think of besides battery life.

Rich!

How exactly could a potential 3DS Lite improve on the 3DS anyway? The original DS looked like a fucking abomination - a DS Lite was always going to be a success. But the 3DS is already pretty nice looking - some bad angles, but not worth an upgrade for!

And hell, if they do release an upgrade that is significant enough an improvement for me to want, I'll simply trade in my original 3DS and get the Lite for a much reduced price. Not an issue at all.

Sipowicz

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
The PSP was easily more cutting edge.

at the same time, the 3DS is a fair bit more powerful, has full backwards compatibility with the best handheld ever, has a 3D widescreen, has motion sensers/cameras and stuff.

i agree it's a rip though

MidnightScott said:
Why the hell does one person need 6? o_O

I have 3 though...:X

One DS Fat, three DS lites (one has a wonky touch screen, one is a-ok and the last is a somewhat unique (but shitty) Spectrobes painted one), one japanese DSi and one european DSi XL.

I only have one PSP though. The original fat one. This has always puzzled me as I've wanted to upgrade for ages now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
FoxHimself said:
One DS Fat, three DS lites (one has a wonky touch screen, one is a-ok and the last is a somewhat unique (but shitty) Spectrobes painted one), one japanese DSi and one european DSi XL.

I only have one PSP though. The original fat one. This has always puzzled me as I've wanted to upgrade for ages now.
I also only own a PSP-1000 (and no DS). I have been playing GTP, but the ghosting is really bothering me. I'm thinking of upgrading, but there's so much other hardware I want, that I can't justify re-buying something that I already own...

Rich!

Lonely1 said:
I also only own a PSP-1000 (and no DS). I have been playing GTP, but the ghosting is really bothering me. I'm thinking of upgrading, but there's so much other hardware I want, that I can't justify re-buying something that I already own...

Then trade it in and get money off the new one.

rpmurphy

Billychu said:
The screens have brightness issues, which is why they have that black border around them. Increasing the screen brightness is really the only thing I can think of besides battery life.
Yeah, there will be always stuff like that plus some form factor improvements, but there probably won't be anything like DS to DSL. Even the cartridge size and shape of the 3DS is pretty similar to the DS ones, right?

Anyhow, even then, places like Gamestop would do trade-in deals to get the new ones at a much reduced price at the launch of the new revision.

Rich!

rpmurphy said:
Yeah, there will be always stuff like that plus some form factor improvements, but there probably won't be anything like DS to DSL. Even the cartridge size and shape of the 3DS is pretty similar to the DS ones, right?

Anyhow, even then, places like Gamestop would do trade-in deals to get the new ones at a much reduced price.

They're identical to the DS ones, but with an added bit on the top to stop them being inserted into a DS Original. Think of how the Game Boy Colour Only carts were designed.

Here's an image, comparing the 3DS cart to a standard DS one, along with the 3DS box design:

3DScartridge.jpg

I don't know if I like the branding being on the right hand side though...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Quixzlizx said:

Except that many of those chumps probably sell/trade their DSi and get $80-100 (and so pay $199-219) and then sell/trade their 3DS for whatever model comes next and get $125-150 (and so pay even less).

... and this process works for all electronics!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
richisawesome said:
Then trade it in and get money off the new one.
Trading here isn't as easy. Plus I would still need shell serious money for a new PSP. The GoW bundle is retailing for $300 here...

Rich!

Stumpokapow said:
Except that many of those chumps probably sell/trade their DSi and get $80-100 (and so pay $199-219) and then sell/trade their 3DS for whatever model comes next and get $125-150 (and so pay even less).

... and this process works for all electronics!

Yep. :lol

I shall be trading in my DSi XL in january. I'll get £85 for it (maybe more, can't remember off the top of my head). That money will be used as a preorder on the 3DS.

Saying the 3DS will be £179.99 (it most likely will be in the UK), then that leaves me with...£95 to pay for a brand new 3DS. $150 for you american guys.

Well, I'm not complaining.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lonely1 said:
Trading here isn't as easy. Plus I would still need shell serious money for a new PSP. The GoW bundle is retailing for $300 here...

Then don't trade, sell on eBay, and don't buy a new bundle where you live, buy on eBay.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
TestOfTide said:
To those asking about my source for the 3DS battery life:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=20389

Iwata admitted that the 3DS will need to be charged more often than the DS. That shows that it has signifcantly less battery life because otherwise we would have just heard them say the battery life is about the same as the DS.

And everyone already knows about how the GPU has been underclocked to 133 MHz
Again, where's the 6-8 hours quote? There's a very simple explanation for "requiring to be charged more often", the device is permanently awake and scanning for wireless networks. Is obvious that it would require more charging than the DSL, even if the power draw and battery capacity were exactly the same... And do you know that mobile GPUs are rarely (almost never) clocked at the PR settings, right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lonely1 said:
Add about $60 for shipping, or $120 both ways...

It'd be a pain for selling it, but not really for buying. You said the GOW bundle retails for $300, but a PSP + $60 shipping would only be maybe $140-150 on eBay.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
richisawesome said:
Really? Woah.

Shipping on ebay in the UK for a DS would only cost like, a tenner (or in most cases only £5).
Within the UK? Or what are you talking about?

Rich!

Lonely1 said:
Within the UK? Or what are you talking about?

In-country. Obviously it's more from across the channel. But even then, I brought a shitload of blu rays from Amazon France, and it cost a grand total of £8 shipping.

Top Bottom