• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop opens Nintendo 3DS preorders in Canada, sets 20th March release and $299 pri

knitoe

HC gamers don't mind paying $299, but who's going to spend that much for their kids? Makes $200 iPod Touch 8GB almost a steal. I can see more parents getting the ipod Touch instead. Nintendo is in fo a rude awakening if it launches close to that price.

Firestorm

knitoe said:
HC gamers don't mind paying $299, but who's going to spend that much for their kids? Makes $200 iPod Touch 8GB almost a steal. I can see more parents getting the ipod Touch instead. Nintendo is in fo a rude awakening if it launches close to that price.
FYI the 8GB iPod Touch is $249 in Canada. We've never had a $200 iPod Touch. The cheapest the older units were is $219.

1-D_FTW

My guess is it's placeholder. I'm not even sure I'm in at 249.99 anymore. 299.99 I'm definitely out until I can get most of the software at discount prices. So good luck with that, Nintendo.

Mojojo said:
on other (old?) news "Spaceworld" is back! Well Nintendo World 2011, dedicated to the 3DS .. Same place as the Tokyo Game show, from 01/08 to 01/10 http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/nw2011/index.html

That's that nationwide tour that Nintendo are doing to promote the 3DS isn't it?

Kinda sad to think that Spaceworld ended in 2001. Most new people coming into the industry since probably have no idea what it is. Ahh, well. Octoberton is the new Spaceworld anyway (minus the ability for the public to attend)

Mojojo

Nuclear Muffin said:
That's that nationwide tour that Nintendo are doing to promote the 3DS isn't it?

Kinda sad to think that Spaceworld ended in 2001. Most new people coming into the industry since probably have no idea what it is. Ahh, well. Octoberton is the new Spaceworld anyway (minus the ability for the public to attend)

No this 3 days event is in one location, ( Hall 9 Makuhari Messe, same location as Tokyo Game show) and should be big. Also there is a video of Iwata in the page where he bows.. can anyone make a gif out of it? :p

LCfiner

MrMister said:
Pretty much, everything is more expensive in Canada.

not really. the xbox 360 slim is 199 (and 299) here. The Wii is now 199. PS3 is 299.

some pricier consumer items, like iPads, are 50 bucks more than the US. ipods are around 10 bucks more...

the dollar is almost at par with the US. I doubt final CDN pricing of the 3DS will be more than 20 bucks higher than US pricing.

Rich!

$CA 299 is £180 in the UK. Which is exactly the price it is converted from yen, and perfectly reasonable for the console (DSI XL was £150 at launch).

Don't know why people are so up in arms about it. :lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
People complaining about paying less than US$500 for a console/handheld...

:lol

But, yeah, if this thing is released for $300 in the US Nintendo is going to be very disappointed with sales numbers.

knitoe said:
If this thread is any indication, many "hardcore" gamers actually would mind paying that amount.

Brazil said:
People complaining about paying less than US$500 for a console/handheld...

:lol

Times are tough. Only way i'd get it is with my Tax refund, but knowing a revision is 18 months away, i'll judt wait and get it then, with a bigger library.

Ponn

Banned
shuri said:
GBA was 199$, so was the DS. I bought them both at launch and it took a full year for really interesting games to come out. Count me out. I don't want to live the nightmare again.

This. Knowing there will be better revisions and eventual price drop and such a huge lineup of games for all other consoles in the 1st quarter the year I don't need this $299 bad at launch. I will just let the library build up and get the 3DSi lite.

Vamphuntr

Even if it's 250$ instead of 300$ it's still pretty expensive. The best games like RE are probably going to take at least a year before seeing the light of day. Nintendo pulled a Sony. :lol

$250 was my breaking point. I will buy it day 1 at that price. I'm with you guys at HELL NO at $300.

I'll maybe buy 1 3DS game as I'm already going to be buying Pokemon Black and White together.

whitehawk said:
I can't believe people in this thread...

The $299 price is for the very chance that it is that price. It's probably going to be $250, but imagine if they charged $250 for the pre-order, and then Nintendo announced the 3DS was $299. EBGames wouldn't want to tell customers "You owe us an extra $50 by the way". This way it's $299, or they get to give the customber back $50/$100.

Haha, like Sony made EB tell me to pay an extra $50 when they decided to screw canadians over for the PSP launch by forcing us to buy Gretzky Hockey?

And remember people, despite having a close to on-par currency, everything is more expensive here despite our "free trade".

timnich

Do you have to pay in full when preordering a system? Or can I just down a bit of money and have my preorder garanteed?

gillty

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
Haha, like Sony made EB tell me to pay an extra $50 when they decided to screw canadians over for the PSP launch by forcing us to by Gretzky Hockey?
This, what a fucking bullshit launch that was. :lol

Luigi87

timnich said:
Do you have to pay in full when preordering a system? Or can I just down a bit of money and have my preorder garanteed?

You don't need to pay in full, but you need to put down a larger amount than for games.

For systems it is usually $25 deposit...

Though my local GameStop (Hamilton, ON, Canada) wanted $50 for a 3DS Pre-order...

If that ends up being more than just a placeholder price...

I mean nintendo didn't even manage to put a decent battery in the 3DS.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
TestOfTide said:
If that ends up being more than just a placeholder price...

I mean nintendo didn't even manage to put a decent battery in the 3DS.
You know which battery it uses? Share plz.

I've always thought the 3DS would cost $250, come with a game packed in, and maybe even a 3d movie (or movie rental). People will pay that much because it's the only mass-produced device of it's type at all: the only way to get 3D gaming without glasses.

LiK

I wanna know what the price of the games will be. Considering the current MSRP is $30-40 for DS/DSi games. I assume 3DS will be $40-$50 minimum.

I'd gladly pay 299$
properly converted to 225€, but noo, if you guys pay 299$ I'd have to pay 299€ which is 398$ which means I won't buy one

Top Bottom