• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop opens Nintendo 3DS preorders in Canada, sets 20th March release and $299 pri

onken

antonz said:
The hardcore buy anything even 600 dollar systems that at launch had no discernable advantage over cheaper consoles to the point its version of multiplatform games were even inferior.

Blu-ray.

Stage On

Gez guys chill out, the price is only a place holder not the actual msrp.

Do you really think Nintendo would be dumb enough to bring it out for such a high price? Sure the amount in Yen it costs is roughly equivalent to $300 but it's normal for it to be higher priced in Japan.

That said if it comes out at $250 in America and is higher priced here in Canada even with our dollar pretty much at par I WILL be pissed

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I really want Layton vs. Ace Attorney and Kid Icarus, but I think I will wait a few years and some revisions. My Wii backlog is fucking huge anyway.

whitehawk

Banned
I can't believe people in this thread...

The $299 price is for the very chance that it is that price. It's probably going to be $250, but imagine if they charged $250 for the pre-order, and then Nintendo announced the 3DS was $299. EBGames wouldn't want to tell customers "You owe us an extra $50 by the way". This way it's $299, or they get to give the customber back $50/$100.

According to wikipedia, the PSP launched $299 canadian and $249 US

So maybe this is what the 3DS will do as well. Still amazes me Nintendo is entertaining launching at what the PSP did

Stage On

gketter said:
According to wikipedia, the PSP launched $299 canadian and $249 US

So maybe this is what the 3DS will do as well. Still amazes me Nintendo is entertaining launching at what the PSP did

Our dollar was alot weaker back then. Right now it's pretty much at par. Their is absolutely no justification for a $50 price difference between us.

whitehawk said:

EBGames wouldn't want to tell customers "You owe us an extra $50 by the way".

If EB games in Canada is anything like EB Games/GameStop in the US they really wouldn't give a shit about asking you for extra money.

AniHawk

whitehawk said:

EBGames wouldn't want to tell customers "You owe us an extra $50 by the way".

They did exactly this when Microsoft made the Halo 3 Legendary whatever more expensive than anyone thought it would be.

ronito

whitehawk said:

The $299 price is for the very chance that it is that price. It's probably going to be $250, but imagine if they charged $250 for the pre-order, and then Nintendo announced the 3DS was $299. EBGames wouldn't want to tell customers "You owe us an extra $50 by the way". This way it's $299, or they get to give the customber back $50/$100.
I don't get it. What are you trying to say here?

whitehawk said:

...the TOS says in pretty much every online store that pre-order prices are not guaranteed.

Amazon will occasionally adjust things by a few dollars here and there for individual games.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
AniHawk said:
They did exactly this when Microsoft made the Halo 3 Legendary whatever more expensive than anyone thought it would be.
Anihawk uses Swift on Whitehawk.
It's super effective!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
whitehawk said:

Unless it is 200 at most, you won't convince me.

So I won't get convinced.

rpmurphy

I read a little while ago that EB in Australia put a placeholder of 350AUD, so they're all really just putting up placeholder prices based solely on exchange rates rather than knowing anything more.

KaYotiX

Banned
shuri said:
GBA was 199$, so was the DS. I bought them both at launch and it took a full year for really interesting games to come out. Count me out. I don't want to live the nightmare again.
this x's 2

edit:
ill still prolly buy it.

300 CND, even if in USD it were 250, that's still a pretty steep price to ask for the consumer...

I guess Nintendo is betting that the novelty effect of the 3DS might attract consumers even with a high price.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
rpmurphy said:
I read a little while ago that EB in Australia put a placeholder of 350AUD, so they're all really just putting up placeholder prices based solely on exchange rates rather than knowing anything more.

GAME put one up for $399 the other week.

Basically, no one got no idea.

Instro

Sohter.Nura said:
300 CND, even if in USD it were 250, that's still a pretty steep price to ask for the consumer...

I guess Nintendo is betting that the novelty effect of the 3DS might attract consumers even with a high price.

3D is hot right now, plus they wont have any direct competition from Sony until the PSP2 hits which at the earliest would be late next year, I dont see a $300 or $250 price tag being an issue here. Even if Sony also releases the PSP2 later in 2011 at a comparable price point, Nintendo could easily swoop in at that point with a $50 price drop and some new colors.

Firestorm

itt we overreact over EB Games' placeholder prices.

I'd need more than both hands to count how many times I've got $10 back from fully paying off a game and having it be cheaper when it actually came out. I can't remember a single time where I had to pay more. This is EB covering its ass.

No, EB Games Canada is nothing like GameStop USA.

This kind of idiocy is why I kept this news to the Canada thread.

Ugh. Not looking to spend that much. But if Mega Man Legends 3 is anywhere near that launch window, I probably won't have a choice. I don't even NEED/USE a handheld device.

Josh7289

Is it really just a placeholder? March 20 is Sunday. Nintendo of America launches hardware on Sunday. 25,000 yen is about $300 by today's exchange rate. Nintendo has already demonstrated that their pricing is sensitive to exchange rates by pricing Super Mario All-Stars on Wii at $30 in America instead of $25 for number parity with the Japanese price of 2500 yen.

Yep, this is looking pretty legit to me.

Wouldn't it be better to underestimate a tentative price? I mean, let's say it will be $250. If Blue Ocean Joe thinks $250 is too expensive, and sees the tentative price at $300, he will be dissuaded. However, if he saw it at $200, pre-ordered it, later learned it's $250, he'd be more willing to give up the extra 50 dollars.

If that's true, I think they should have chosen $250 as the tentative price.

As a side note, I really don't think people's reactions are idiotic. I'm sure most here realize it's not official, but are just reacting as if it were $300.

Josh7289 said:
Is it really just a placeholder? March 20 is Sunday. Nintendo of America launches hardware on Sunday. 25,000 yen is about $300 by today's exchange rate. Nintendo has already demonstrated that their pricing is sensitive to exchange rates by pricing Super Mario All-Stars on Wii at $30 in America instead of $25 for number parity with the Japanese price of 2500 yen.

Yep, this is looking pretty legit to me.
Others can use that same logic to fabricate release date and prices. Someone else could say "March 27th, $279" and you could argue "hey, that's legit because..." so I don't know...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Phaethon0017 said:
Ugh. Not looking to spend that much. But if Mega Man Legends 3 is anywhere near that launch window, I probably won't have a choice. I don't even NEED/USE a handheld device.

Didn't they just like start production on that?

I really hope this price isn't for real. I was really wanting this day 1 but for 300 dollars? Hell no unless it comes with awesome BJs for a week or something.

Josh7289

Why would you do that? said:
Wouldn't it be better to underestimate a tentative price? I mean, let's say it will be $250. If Blue Ocean Joe thinks $250 is too expensive, and sees the tentative price at $300, he will be dissuaded. However, if he saw it at $200, pre-ordered it, later learned it's $250, he'd be more willing to give up the extra 50 dollars.

As a side note, I really don't think people's reactions are idiotic. I'm sure most here realize it's not official, but are just reacting as if it were $300.

Others can use that same logic to fabricate release date and prices. Someone else could say "March 27th, $279" and you could argue "hey, that's legit because..." so I don't know...
Yeah, that's true too. Sometimes these things turn out to be true, though, and the real price and release date will probably be close to this one, anyway.

And the problem with underestimating is what happens when the guy goes to pick up the system at launch, but only paid the underestimated amount. He wasn't expecting to have to fork over $50 more, and is going to cause problems because of it.

All this said, since people are weighing in about it, I'm already going to spend ~$300 on this system because I'll be buying it in Japan, but a new Nintendo system is something I'd honestly get no matter what the price, so don't go by me.

Regulus Tera said:
Didn't they just like start production on that?

I would hope they would have it out by December 2011 (sooner would be nice but I don't want a shitty game either)

Lets just hope Nintendo stops being so quiet and tells us something more soon...I hate waiting for them to pull this crap. They probably won't announce it again until after Christmas so it doesn't harm DSi/XL sales.

Firestorm

Why would you do that? said:

I'm not saying it won't be $300 because it might be, but EB usually starts with the higher pricing. Like I said, I've gotten $10 back on many pre-orders. I can't remember a single one where they asked me for more money.

It's not like they're advertising this. It's just in their systems now.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
$299 is fucking silly talk. $249 is bad enough. And I certainly am not jumping in with the rest of you in moving that goal post back and say that $249 is the optimal price for a handheld.

For those of you saying the thing will incur shortages regardless, I can only recall back when the PS3 launch how everybody was saying the same damn thing.

"The PS3 will be sold out everywhere!"
"You can just walk into any store and buy a Wii!"

No matter how high or low the price may be, everyone should know the golden rule by now: Never buy a first-generation Nintendo handheld unless a game is released which you absolutely CANNOT resist. The second iteration will blow its predecessor out of the water.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
wwm0nkey said:
DS Lite price:

CA:$150
US: $130

There probably will be a price difference.
xYo4r.png

I'm excited about Nintendos new handheld, but it seems like every manufacturer is now clinging to the mandate of 'sell the hardware way above manufacturing cost at launch'. I didn't mind buying a PS3 and X360 3-4 years into their lifespans, and I won't mind doing the same here. It makes sense if you have a backlog so large it would take several lifetimes to clear, anyway.:D

I still can't see it being $299.99 in the US. It's simply crazy and not like Nintendo at all. Nintendo have never used a price skimming strategy before and I don't see them shifting towards it this time either (unless they bundle a game with it I guess, possibly Nintendogs + Cats. Would be the perfect game to sell the Streetpass concept!)

$249.99 in US, £189.99 in UK - count on it!

Oh and I bet that Pokemon B&W will launch on the same day as the 3DS as well!

Top Bottom