• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop opens Nintendo 3DS preorders in Canada, sets 20th March release and $299 pri

Poyunch

Zombie James said:
Isn't that the official launch price (approx) in Japan?
$250 was the converted price in American dollars. I bet it'll still be cheaper when NoA announces the price.

rip 3DS......again :p

still day 1 for me :D :D

i need to sell my DSi asap :lol

TheListener said:
Did I somehow miss that this was going to be 300 bucks? Or is this the first confirmation?

it was confirmed for Japan it would cost around $300 U.S dollars

CoffeeJanitor said:
If Nintendo does end up pricing this at $300, they'll have missed out on one of their biggest opportunities of all time to literally destroy their competition. No way that thing is going to continually sell at an insane price like that.

Didn't stop people for buying Wii's for twice the price and more for like the first 3 years after it was released. My brother bought mine for $500

Nintendo said this time there shouldn't be a shortage since they said they delayed it to make sure they have enough stock.

Everything costs more in Japan because they make more in Japan. DS games are like $50 and Wii games like $70-$80 there.

I hope this damn thing is region free...>_>;

L00P

The games I'm interested in for the system so far are Capcom games. But announcing Megaman Legends 3 and Phoenix vs. Layton just doesn't cut it. I need to see them in action!

Now that I mention it, Capcom looks like they're really banking in on the 3DS

mj1108

MidnightScott said:
Didn't stop people for buying Wii's for twice the price and more for like the first 3 years after it was released. My brother bought mine for $500

Nintendo said this time there shouldn't be a shortage since they said they delayed it to make sure they have enough stock.

There will be shortages anyway. This thing is going to sell like gangbusters, regardless of price.

Trurl

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
If Nintendo does end up pricing this at $300, they'll have missed out on one of their biggest opportunities of all time to literally destroy their competition. No way that thing is going to continually sell at an insane price like that.
Most of us (I am at least) are looking at the example of the PS3 for why this price is dangerous. Perhaps Nintendo is looking at the example of the Wii where they lost an unknowable amount of money by setting the launch price too low.

This is probably an incredibly ignorant question, but is $300 really that big a deal for a revolutionary 3D handheld when stuff like the Ipad can sell gangbusters for more than that? Not trying to troll or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

shuri

Banned
I know this might me sound like a retarded console troll, but..Is it me or kids these days are WAY more into iphones and ipods for handheld gaming? Ultra cheap games, you can go on the net, its trendy and so on. Even myself, i've completely given up on handhelds; i only game on my iphone.

My rather unscientific survey of my daily travels on the subway kinda confirms this too. I used to see lots of people with Nintendo DS and sometimes the PSP, but last time I saw someone with a normal handheld console was perhaps.. last summer. Every morning and evening, i just seen tons of people on their blackberry or iphones playing away..

I think Nintendo's biggest challenger is Apple this time.

-Eddman-

It's kind of expensive for a handheld, but in the end, I think it's worth it. What still worries me is the price of the games, hopefully not much more than DS prices.

Proven

DR2K said:
It really feels like Nintendo is pulling a Sony here.
This. Even if it's a $250 tag in the US, it's still way too high. Even $200 is too high, but I'd accept that well enough while waiting for a sale.

MidnightScott said:

Everything costs more in Japan because they make more in Japan. DS games are like $50 and Wii games like $70-$80 there.

With the 3DS releasing in the spring, this thing will have to have monster sales all year (and not a lick of buyer's remorse) for it to get a holiday season like that. I don't see that happening.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cosmicblizzard said:
This is probably an incredibly ignorant question, but is $300 really that big a deal for a revolutionary 3D handheld when stuff like the Ipad can sell gangbusters for more than that? Not trying to troll or anything, I'm genuinely curious.
While a lot of older people to buy Nintendo handhelds, younger children still make up a fairly share of their audience.

Making it this expensive is a bit prohibitive to that audience, since parents often don't like spending that much at once.

If they are focusing much heavier on the PSP crowd instead of the DS crowd though, this price seems all right, but it's worth noting that the PSP crowd is a much smaller audience.

Proven

MidnightScott said:

It's definitely not going to be region free.

Nirolak said:
While a lot of older people to buy Nintendo handhelds, younger children still make up a fairly share of their audience.

Making it this expensive is a bit prohibitive to that audience, since parents often don't like spending that much at once.

If they are focusing much heavier on the PSP crowd instead of the DS crowd though, this price seems all right, but it's worth noting that the PSP crowd is a much smaller audience.
I didn't ever want to touch the PSP with its prices. I only ended biting the bullet because I was getting an $80 value from a bundle, and I'm a whore for Kingdom Hearts.

loosus

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I wouldn't call it "revolutionary" to begin with. While it's a neat feature, this isn't going to be even in the same league as the touch screen was on DS. I think Nintendo is going to end up getting considerably more bang for its buck with the touch screen than the 3D screen.

cosmicblizzard said:
I have high hopes for it too, but it's a bit too early to call it revolutionary IMO.

Lard

Banned
Proven said:
It's definitely not going to be region free.

I'm not paying $350 to have Nintendo tell me what I can and can't play. Not after their last two handhelds were region free.

Perhaps "revolutionary" was the wrong word. Still, I think the mass market would respond very well to 3D without glasses. Maybe even more than the touch screen did back in the day.

ronito

cosmicblizzard said:
Perhaps "revolutionary" was the wrong word. Still, I think the mass market would respond very well to 3D without glasses. Maybe even more than the touch screen did back in the day.
me thinks you have a disconnect with most people's situation in this economy.

antonz

ronito said:

There is one common truth in bad economies even during the great depression.

People want their disconnect from reality and entertainment.

Black Ops sold almost 3/4 of a billion in 5 days.

Proven

Lard said:
I'm not paying $350 to have Nintendo tell me what I can and can't play. Not after their last two handhelds were region free.
I'd say one and a half. The DS lost it's region free-ness after the DSi came out. I still want to get one if only to get out of needing WEP on my router.

Kusagari

ronito said:

That must be some situation where I don't see kids walking around with iPhones everywhere. Parents still buy their kids expensive gifts, bad economy or not.

ronito

antonz said:

a game or a movie is different than a $300 handheld.
That's like saying "People drive a lot during a depression. So cars will sell a lot" when really it's the gas not the car.

iammeiam

cosmicblizzard said:

Touch screen fundamentally changed the options for how users interact with their tech--look at the iPad, you don't click a link, you touch the link you want to go to. You pinch/pull to 'stretch' the screen, making it bigger or smaller. You touch a thing and drag it around to move it... It's all very much about making the technology disappear and making it accessible to the less technically inclined. The iPad also manages to pull this off while sort of functioning as a casual laptop replacement, which makes the price easier to stomach. The Wii sort of had the same thing--party games, but video games you could interact with somewhat directly. Hit the tennis ball by swinging at it, etc.

3D is, at this point, just the "gee whiz" factor and not much more. You're not going to interact with your media differently, it just looks cool. It's also not going to replace your traditional methods of watching movies, or be any kind of group entertainment, since it's restricted to a tiny one-person screen.

It's awesome, don't get me wrong, and I think the $300 price would be ultimately accepted by the enthusiast crowd, but it's more a PSP-level of success than DS, and it'd be an odd choice for Nintendo to make.

I'm still holding out hope for $250 with some kind of bundled game, with the possibility of a pricedrop to $200 by holiday 2011 if it doesn't take off.

iammeiam

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
As is HD in games.

Pretty much; the key to breakout success in gaming this generation was not in pushing prices up for tech in service of better graphics, and it'd be odd for Nintendo of all companies to decide that was the logical next step.

Lard

Banned
antonz said:

$60 for a game is different than $300 + tax. It's not the kind of money people are going to drop for a ten year old.

A gaming handheld for $300 is insane!

I would have doubt Nintendo of all companies would tread water of the handheld equivalent of Sony circa 2006.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Day 1.2

I'm still busting at the seems to get this thing in my hands so I'll play by your rules Nintendo.

antonz

Lard said:
$60 for a game is different than $300 + tax. It's not the kind of money people are going to drop for a ten year old.
Who says Nintendo is going after the 10 year olds at launch? They know the machine will be supply constraint and the hardcore will be the first ones. So why not sell 15-20 million at 300 bucks then knock it down to 200 and sell 60 million of them

Snakeyes

antonz said:
Who says Nintendo is going after the 10 year olds at launch? They know the machine will be supply constraint and the hardcore will be the first ones. So why not sell 15-20 million at 300 bucks then knock it down to 200 and sell 60 million of them

What makes you think the hardcore will want to drop $300 on a handheld?

What makes you think that Sony won't sway the hardcore with a slick and powerful PSP2 just before the 3DS is released?

I hate how Nintendo continues to cater to Japan when it's the western world that still buys their games and consoles more so than Japan does...

They need to hurry up and announce it so I can lock my preorder down and just go up there on launch day and pick it up...

$249.99 or less will be the sweet spot. $199.99 would be great but I don't see it selling for the same price as an iPhone, I see it selling a lot higher.

Hopefully there are good games at launch...I don't care about Zelda and I have a real dog already (and a copy of Nintendogs I haven't played in years)

Trurl

Banned
NeoGAF's reaction to E3 singlehandedly caused this hubris in Nintendo, especially Dedication Through Light. lol

; / Not sure if its worth it at 300. Eh..........
It won't be worth $300 if it has the success one would expect from a $300 handheld.

antonz

Snakeyes said:
What makes you think the hardcore will want to drop $300 on a handheld?

What makes you think that Sony won't sway the hardcore with a slick and powerful PSP2 just before the 3DS is released?

The hardcore buy anything even 600 dollar systems that at launch had no discernable advantage over cheaper consoles to the point its version of multiplatform games were even inferior.

Now as for the PSP2 I dont really have much hope for the device. Everything being said behind the scenes indicates to me Sony has learned jack shit about the handheld market.

Top Bottom