• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop sure seems to be pushing the Xbone hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeff

Ah, interesting. I guess I was wrong. Apologies. Can you imagine the blowback if a particular publisher didn't support used game sales?

Honestly, I think there would have been more unsupported games than supported games, Ubisoft/EA would definitely be pleased with not supporting used games sales.

Sobriquet

Honestly, I think there would be more unsupported games than supported games, Ubisoft/EA would definitely be pleased with not supporting used games sales.
Oh, I'm sure they would love to implement something like that, but I still can't imagine them actually doing so.

FTF

1481891_10201842096228066_1845934638_n.jpg

...No, Seriously.

Yeah that $749 is sure to drive in plenty of business.

Striek

Yeah, the policies sucked for those interested in the traditional disc model for Xbox games (which is a lot of folks). For those already interested in digital licensed purchases for Xbox games and/or discless play, it was a step up in some ways, since the current status quo with digitally licensed games is zero trade ins, only one store to buy games from, and large, sometimes slow downloads for people with bandwidth caps and/or slow internet. Those specific factors would have been addressed under the proposed model.
For sure for a system with a connected vision there was some positives (although the implementation still could've been more consumer friendly and the pitch obviously made way better). All of those concerns could be addressed though if MS really wanted to though.

Nintendo already solved the single retailer problem by letting you buy game-specific DL cards via retailers, and letting retail provide competition. Said copies could come with install discs (not playable), or you could install from any retail copy. The compromises they made with regards to trade-ins at authorised retailers could still be done even with normal disc-based games complementing digital, albeit it would probably not be worth the investment to set up the scheme and resulting confusion it would cause.

Finally there is no good reason they did not implement the ability to gift away or the "share" features they announced for your digital games. Absolutely nothing stopped them.

Yeah that $749 is sure to drive in plenty of business.

Thats retail price in NZ :p

Sobriquet

What was the policy that was misunderstood? Could you buy a used game from anywhere like amazon or eBay? Could I sell my disk on craigslist? Could you loan someone your disk?
The misunderstanding was that it didn't play used games at all. I'm aware of the issues of the policies, and even missed a pretty glaring fault with it if you go back to the last page.

Seeing how its the most available console by far and is having stacks of em in stores, it doesn't surprise me. just check out the stock availability of all three consoles

J4SVzNO.png

According to the forums (GAF included) not too long ago, isn't this the machine that would put GameStop out of business?

Anyhoo, is inventory allocation at GS at a regional or corporate level?

xavi42

The best next gen games I have played are on X1. Forza 5 and Killer Instinct.

It's funny, Forza 5 has almost a million different people on their leaderboards. It's obvious a lot of people are have an X1.

Sony could be holding back supply to make it seem like it is hard to get. It worked for Nintendo for a little while with the wii. Eventually the cream will rise to the top.

It's funny, Forza 5 has almost a million different people on their leaderboards. It's obvious a lot of people are have an X1.

Sony could be holding back supply to make it seem like it is hard to get. It worked for Nintendo for a little while with the wii. Eventually the cream will rise to the top.

Man, Xbox already got some cream rising to the top. But seriously if Sony is holding back stock while still selling 2+ million then they must be magicians.

Striek

Seeing how its the most available console by far and is having stacks of em in stores, it doesn't surprise me. just check out the stock availability of all three consoles
Image surprised me, but then I realised that it only tracks old/obsolescent Wii U models that aren't made any more. Darn misleading :p

LOCK

My friend at Walmart said the Wii U has outsold the X1 everyday all last week at his store. They have stock of everything except the PS4. Said that they got a shipment of Wii U's and 3DS's early the 26th.

I know this is anecdotal, but Nintendo seems to be limited in their shipments of Wii U's to stores but seems to have a constant sales rate now. Compared to the X1 which has plenty of stock but slowed demand.

MormaPope

Banned

So it makes sense for a corporation to stop going after wallets and try to raise demand that's been steady for the past month?

The defensive attitude when it comes to all next gen consoles is grating.

Mrbob

Sony isn't holding back stock. They just more areas to ship alongside with bigger demand.

I have been wondering if the Xbox One is getting this attention in the United States in part because it is an American product.

MormaPope

Banned
This is all a replay from last gen. PS3 was going to kill the 360 right? lol

Guys, you heard it first, 2013 is exactly like 2006, the Xbox One has been out for a year and has had hot shit constantly. Elder Scrolls, Gears of War, playing online with buddies, shit is so identical it's almost clone like.

So it makes sense for a corporation to stop going after wallets and try to raise demand that's been steady for the past month?

The defensive attitude when it comes to all next gen consoles is grating.

To be fair, the continued existence of the console war in its entirety is grating.

Madness

Because Microsoft has overloaded every store with units. And demand is not as high as expected.

I don't know, aside from a handful of units at random times, they are selling out of their restocks. This is what happens when you don't focus on all countries right away, you can push stock quicker. It's not helping Sony to restock slower and be sold out longer than the Xbox One.

Demand is higher than expected because Xbox One has been breaking records for Microsoft, and if it weren't for the ps4, it would be considered the most successful games console launch as well. Demand for the ps4 is just higher.

I can't wait for December and January NPD numbers, will be interesting to see what the sales are.

Mohonky

I still cant fathom how some people think there is some pro MS anti Sony conspiracy going on with retailers, like they are secretly all in on it. The lunacy of conspiracies and retail musings keep some people up at night I swear.

iceatcs

Pretty much saw this exact same set up at mine today. But on top of that, was greeted by an overly anxious employee who insisted on telling every person who came in the store that they have Xbox Ones in stock and most of the games are discounted (by $10...) On top of that, the employees inside made sure I was aware of its availability, even though I had to tell 3 of them that I already owned one.
Poor employees, I can assume that MS marketing people must have done a some deals with them. If Xbox one didn't sell more than 5 per store, all employees will have to cut the penis/tits off.

enoki

Corporate would never ask employees to do this. Only official marketing stuff. Most DMs would tell them to throw that shit out. This is the work of an over zealous employee with too much time on their hands.

This, without a doubt. There's a rule flat out banning hand-written signs of any kind.

Omega

Banned
I still cant fathom how some people think there is some pro MS anti Sony conspiracy going on with retailers, like they are secretly all in on it. The lunacy of conspiracies and retail musings keep some people up at night I swear.

fanboys will be fanboys

retailers job are to sell products, but GAF is full of teenagers and grown men that act like kids and don't understand how the real world works.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Am I the only person who is imagining a miniseries in their mind:

Like, Xbone says fuck off to used games and GameStop is like OH NO THEY DIDN'T and sent in the guys with scars and guns. Microsoft is like awwww shit we goofed, here I'll tell you what let's go used game friendly and we'll give you another billion bux if you promote our product using DYKT tactics.

Haha! I was about to say, I like how the person who made that shitty sign made the first letter of each word a different color, like those acronym posters people hold up at sporting events to get noticed by network cameras. The fact it spells DYKT is hilarious, considering the pre-180 shit the sign attempts to dispel.

Wynnebeck

Banned
fanboys will be fanboys

retailers job are to sell products, but GAF is full of teenagers and grown men that act like kids and don't understand how the real world works.

Let's not be obtuse. It's obvious MS has made marketing deals with American retailers to push Xbone as much as they possibly can. Just look at any Xbone commercial broadcasted involving Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. Once Titanfall reaches its release date, we'll see the same push. MS is doubling down on the US to avoid Sony gaining any more marketshare than it already has so it's only natural to seem like there is a sort of conspiracy (even though there really isn't and just business).

PhatSaqs

Banned
Let's not be obtuse. It's obvious MS has made marketing deals with American retailers to push Xbone as much as they possibly can. Just look at any Xbone commercial broadcasted involving Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. Once Titanfall reaches its release date, we'll see the same push. MS is doubling down on the US to avoid Sony gaining any more marketshare than it already has so it's only natural to seem like there is a sort of conspiracy (even though there really isn't and just business).
All companies make these "sort of conspiracy" marketing deals....

Omega

Banned

..so marketing?

I don't see how your post counters mine. You even agree that there is no conspiracy and it's just business.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
If it's like grainger games or game in the uk
They have a lot of stock of xbox ones but sell out of ps4's the day they come in. Can't seem to shift the Xbox 's it's understandable with them being 100 pounds more tho. I think we will see something drastic from Ms in the next 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom