• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop sure seems to be pushing the Xbone hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure for a system with a connected vision there was some positives (although the implementation still could've been more consumer friendly and the pitch obviously made way better). All of those concerns could be addressed though if MS really wanted to though.

Nintendo already solved the single retailer problem by letting you buy game-specific DL cards via retailers, and letting retail provide competition. Said copies could come with install discs (not playable), or you could install from any retail copy. The compromises they made with regards to trade-ins at authorised retailers could still be done even with normal disc-based games complementing digital, albeit it would probably not be worth the investment to set up the scheme and resulting confusion it would cause.

Finally there is no good reason they did not implement the ability to gift away or the "share" features they announced for your digital games. Absolutely nothing stopped them.

I agree. There were pros and cons to the previous approach, and pros and cons to the current approach, and those pros/cons affected different customers in different ways.

Codeblew

This has been going on before the systems were even out. There was more signage in stores for preorders(Wal-Marts around me had X1 things on each register and a sign at the front mentioned preordering one while the ps4 just had a sign in the electronics area). It has nothing to do with sales as the X1 is actually selling well in the US atleast through Christmas. Microsoft just flooded the US with stock while neglecting the rest of the world. I think they are going to have trouble once PS4 is readily in supply though.

I don't disagree with PS4 selling good once it is finally in stock. But GS employees making hand-crafted signs doesn't signify MS$. It signifies the Manager and/or District Manager giving the order to try and clear units. If this was official, there would be professional signs.

FStop7

Banned
4BFA3EF2-7FEE-4199-80C0-C6E6B633A4D8.jpg

Replace "Xbox One" with PS4, and it'll still apply.

DYKT - as in dicked?

Gamestop is overstocked and desperate to move units. They got dykt.

viveks86

I don't disagree with PS4 selling good once it is finally in stock. But GS employees making hand-crafted signs doesn't signify MS$. It signifies the Manager and/or District Manager giving the order to try and clear units. If this was official, there would be professional signs.

This!

Sony really need to get dem PS4's out there.

And is it just me or are "fanboys working at GameSpot" almost always synonymous with Xbox fanboy. Microsoft getting a lot of free help at retail.

jadedm17

LOL. That sign reminds me of a school or yard sale. Very professional company.
Why do intelligent gamers still go to Gamestop? Its such a horrible experience everytime for me.
Last week I bought 2 copies of Tearaway for my girlfriend and I thanks to GAF. Both copies were sealed differently. SMH

So it does everything my 360 does? Only $500? Awesome!
Add in $180 of stuff for only $200 extra? What a steal at $700!

I don't want to call this so early but these things are everywhere. Target even had a Day One in the display case I'll assume someone returned. PS4 I haven't seen anywhere.

Sorry Microsoft, I loved my 360
all seven of them
but this is damn funny. It was fun while it lasted, maybe I'll see you at $300 or so.
Sony ILU

Elvick

Banned
1481891_10201842096228066_1845934638_n.jpg

...No, Seriously.
haha... that looks so cheap and dumb.

If they think that's going to get people to buy something, they are mistaken. Also, "going out our door like wildfire"? What...

edit; And are those four separate print outs taped together? What's with the line on the actual sign? They couldn't get a real sign from MS? Or do they just look like that?

Skeff

If it's like grainger games or game in the uk
They have a lot of stock of xbox ones but sell out of ps4's the day they come in. Can't seem to shift the Xbox 's it's understandable with them being 100 pounds more tho. I think we will see something drastic from Ms in the next 3 months

Yep IMO the best way to show the demand for the consoles is to look at the prices in CeX, XB1 is only £10 more in CeX despite the sticker price being £80 difference.

PS4: £465
XB1: £475

PS4 selling for £115 above retail and XB1 is £45 above retail shows a clear difference in demand.

Very curious to see December NPD results. When does that come out?

Should be on the 9th.

There's not likely to be numbers. NPD will provide a ranked list and maybe come up with some vague statements to define success (shipped to retail vs sold, fastest selling christmas week, highest attach rate, blah blah blah) and then this forum will explode hilariously.

Should be on the 9th.

There's not likely to be numbers. NPD will provide a ranked list and maybe come up with some vague statements to define success (shipped to retail vs sold, fastest selling christmas week, highest attach rate, blah blah blah) and then this forum will explode hilariously.

We have creamsugar. We're going to get numbers whether NPD group likes it or not.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm getting pretty annoyed every time I go to Gamestop. They always try to push me to buy an Xbox One and then when I ask if they have any PS4s in stock, they give me this annoyed look when they tell me no it's not in stock.

mechphree

I'm getting pretty annoyed every time I go to Gamestop. They always try to push me to buy an Xbox One and then when I ask if they have any PS4s in stock, they give me this annoyed look when they tell me no it's not in stock.

Amazon better for me...I like the no tax.

MogCakes

As a company I'm about 99.99% certain GS just wants to sell their stock. There may be biased employees but this isn't some fanboy push for the XB1 over the PS4, it's just them promoting it.

As a company I'm about 99.99% certain GS just wants to sell their stock. There may be biased employees but this isn't some fanboy push for the XB1 over the PS4, it's just them promoting it.

Yup, every Gamestop I have seen is promoting it this way so I don't see how it can be a bias, they just want to sell their stock.

Yep IMO the best way to show the demand for the consoles is to look at the prices in CeX, XB1 is only £10 more in CeX despite the sticker price being £80 difference.

PS4: £465
XB1: £475

PS4 selling for £115 above retail and XB1 is £45 above retail shows a clear difference in demand.
That's not really a perfect comparison right now because CeX bought a whole bunch of Bones for £475 and lowering the price below that would force them to declare a loss. The real after market value is closer to £410 today because new stock is easy to find if one were to look for more than a few seconds.

On eBay the green box editions are selling for under £400 right now and the black box ones are barely making the £430 mark. After eBay and PayPal fees it's hardly worth it, though you can make enough money to buy a PS4 which is what some may be doing with unwanted gifts at the moment.

It's a sillly move in general... I don't think those big signs and displays would work on a big ticket item like that. Very few people blow $500+ on an impulse buy that displays like that are supposed to draw.

Why waste your money on XBone? PS4 has upcoming games like faith, promise, and unannounced!

Lol wut? There are plenty of announced games to be excited for on PS4, probably the same on XBox one too. And to be fair Sony actually continues to put exclusives on their system throughout a systems life, unlike what Microsoft did with the 360.

They probably have lots of stock and for $500, the PS4 and XBox One are way to close to each other and some consumers probably figured this out. Honestly, when I go in Gamestop, employees normally push the XBox One over the PS4. Then again, they are normally out of the PS4 so it makes sense if they have X1's in stock and since they are comparable. I'll get an X1 sooner than later.

Amused

Why waste your money on XBone? PS4 has upcoming games like faith, promise, and unannounced!

Yup, love those AND the DLC that's coming with them: "history", "consistency" and the already classic "in it for the long run". Yes, yes - I know the last one is eight years down the line, but at least we know it's coming - given the first two titles.

That's not really a perfect comparison right now because CeX bought a whole bunch of Bones for £475 and lowering the price below that would force them to declare a loss. The real after market value is closer to £410 today because new stock is easy to find if one were to look for more than a few seconds.

On eBay the green box editions are selling for under £400 right now and the black box ones are barely making the £430 mark. After eBay and PayPal fees it's hardly worth it, though you can make enough money to buy a PS4 which is what some may be doing with unwanted gifts at the moment.

Lol still carrying on with your terrible analysis I see.

Yeah... prices like that REALLY make me want one. pffffft.

iPad or Xbox... I know which one i'd get.

You have to remember that price isn't seen as extortionate where it's being sold. New Zealand is used to getting dicked over on console prices, so both machines are seen as affordable. The One has also been subject to some great bundles that have negated any price difference.

It's sort of odd that it'll be one of the few countries where things are mostly even. Especially since it was tacked on as Tier 1 at the end and we don't even have voice commands.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If Microsoft were to bundle a game with the system, or perhaps a free year of Xbox Live, I think they have a chance of moving all these units. But at $500, TitanFall is their next chance to make some significant sales.

Asherdude

X1 being pushed over PS4 and Gaf already doing damage control. Should be one hell of a busy 2014 for the haters.

12 years ago, it took me about 5 months to find a PS2. I bought a canceled lay-a-way at Walmart. If the demand for the Xbox One is has high as Microsoft has suggested, then we wouldn't be able to find this many XB1's in the stores

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
GameStop is taking orders on their website for an "Epic Bundle" for PS4 at $750. Comes out on a January 2nd. There is no option of buying a base PS4 unit at $400. When I do a stock search, every store has stock of Xbox One with only a couple saying "low stock" and none have PS4s. That is a pretty stark comparison of the current availability options.

12 years ago, it took me about 5 months to find a PS2. I bought a canceled lay-a-way at Walmart. If the demand for the Xbox One is has high as Microsoft has suggested, then we wouldn't be able to find this many XB1's in the stores

I expected the Xbone to be sold out till January at the very least. We'll have to wait for the numbers around February and March to see what's going on exactly. There might actually be a contraction going on in the market unless the PS4 manages to do PS2 numbers.

Jawmuncher

Whoa Whoa Whoa.

The Xbox One is Region Free?
Color me shocked I had no clue.....But then again I don't think there will be to many games made for it that don't come to the west.

Matriox

I hadn't been on neogaf this weekend and had a similar experience in a Gamestop when I went to pick up Tearaway for $20... It felt creepy and forced how many in-store commercials they were just saying xbox one to say it, had several printed off xbox one prints they put in empty cases just to put all over the store, even in ps4 games area (could have just been someone who moved the box, who knows). Wish I had taken some pictures in retrospect but I felt this particular store was being a bit rediculous..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom