• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Switch page mentions playing ''Pokemon at home with the Nintendo Switch''

HotHamBoy

I forgot I couldn't play my 3DS at home. Sucks.

In all seriousness, confirmation of Stars means I'll skip Sun and Moon. Hadn't picked it up yet. Nintendo would be smart to hold that reveal and not cannibalize sales on 3DS.

Busaiku

Expect Pokémon on Switch, but don't expect the reveal on Thursday.
Pokémon will likely reveal it around March - May.

Gamefreak needs to support Switch sooner

I would love to see a Pokemon game on Thursday not a later solo direct, I think this platform will need all the help it can get

Phu

Banned
Gamefreak really really really likes to cling on to old platforms.

But from Game Boy to N3DS the new platform could always play the old platform's games so there was never a reason not to. Switch'll likely be the first time in Pokemon history where there's a sheer cutoff between consoles.

Kathian

Banned
I suspect this will be real. Look at how much money HAD versions of had games have been making! I wouldn't be too excited for a huge upgrade - will just be higher res.

Galava

"Play pokémon on the big screen!"

GameCube VC Colosseum and XD. THAT'S the most likely I'd say.

But you culd already play it on the big screen...mmm

Don't expect the same kind of gameplay. Cyber Sleuth had more of a JRPG balance, whereas Sun/Moon (while much better than previous instalments) is still very Pokemon in its gameplay.

That's okay, i've found myself really liking the monster collecting/evolving aspect. I liked it in Ni no Kuni as well, and the sequel sadly seems to be dropping that aspect.

asagami_

Banned
I forgot I couldn't play my 3DS at home. Sucks.

In all seriousness, confirmation of Stars means I'll skip Sun and Moon. Hadn't picked it up yet. Nintendo would be smart to hold that reveal and not cannibalize sales on 3DS.

I'm sure the most main sales are already done. They can still wait to May/June, where is the typical time when new Pokémon games are announced.

Most likely we're gonna get one of the dumb spinoffs like Mystery Dungeon. Mainline ain't coming for another 2 years minimum, no matter what Eurogamer says.

HotHamBoy

But from Game Boy to N3DS the new platform could always play the old platform's games so there was never a reason not to. Switch'll likely be the first time in Pokemon history where there's a sheer cutoff between consoles.

The first Nintendo home console with direct BC was the Wii. Every handheld has had direct BC with the previous gen.

This is all a consequence of the tablet. Up until now, each machine had that BC because it contained the guts of the previous system inside. Kooky!

Emulation has come far, though. At least we will get those GC games on the go! Too bad Melee won't play online, though.

Most likely we're gonna get one of the dumb spinoffs like Mystery Dungeon. Mainline ain't coming for another 2 years minimum, no matter what Eurogamer says.

You can't be serious.

My guess is we get Stars for Switch this fall. The following Pokemon game is simulataneously released for 3DS and Switch with the same engine. The Pokemon game that follows will be Switch exclusive and use a new engine. This is assuming the Switch does well. Even if there is a new handheld device, allegedly it would run the same games/ecosystem.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I still just don't see how Sun and Moon could transition easily to an HD platform. There are tons of low res props that build the environments that would just require a massive amount of work.

bman94

What's the big deal here? Pokemon was eventually going to come to the system. It would be suicide for Nintendo to not put Pokémon on this console.

asagami_

Banned
I still just don't see how Sun and Moon could transition easily to an HD platform. There are tons of low res props that build the environments that would just require a massive amount of work.

Actually the game can look amazing (maybe the left image is not really how should be, but it still apply)

From this old thread

Jl5Cg47.jpg

For real, the 3DS is holding back the potential of this new generation.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Actually the game can look amazing (maybe the left image is not really how should be, but it still apply)

From this old thread
I've seen what people are doing with Sun and Moon in emulators, and it's fine but you get loads of bad stuff with the environments out in the world, which are pieced together with very low res 2D props that are all over the place. Lighting and shadows are also pretty much nonexistent. The entire game was very deliberately designed with the 3DS hardware in mind and it would take a tremendous amount of effort to bring it to an HD format without a bunch of things looking really weird.

Well, Pokemon coming to switch is a given.

I just hope gamefreak does not disappoint on Pokemon first mainline game attempt on consoles.

Hey, finally something I've been wanting since the Game Boy. A merged eco system means I will almost certainly purchase a Switch.

I've seen what people are doing with Sun and Moon in emulators, and it's fine but you get loads of bad stuff with the environments out in the world, which are pieced together with very low res 2D props that are all over the place. Lighting and shadows are also pretty much nonexistent. The entire game was very deliberately designed with the 3DS hardware in mind and it would take a tremendous amount of effort to bring it to an HD format without a bunch of things looking really weird.

Im sure they know this and will add dynamic lighting and higher resolution textures to fit the higher resolution. They already have high resolution and low resolution models for Pokemon and trainers.

brinstar

Pokemon potentially coming to Switch so soon makes me wonder if I should stop the Sun version postgame grinding now if all my BP-purchased items are about to become useless >__>

PSqueak

Banned
Pokemon potentially coming to Switch so soon makes me wonder if I should stop the Sun version postgame grinding now if all my BP-purchased items are about to become useless >__>

If the stars rumours are true, im sure there will be connectivity between the 3ds version and switch version.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Probably not text directly from Nintendo. There's no chance whatsoever of Pokemon being announced on Thursday. I'll do whatever the first reply to this post says I should if it does.

Galang

Banned
I don't expect an announcement until summer at least, but we'll see. You can never really predict what's going to happen. The same people were swearing up and down they wouldn't release a third version on a new console and look what seems to be happening. If they want to show it off this week they very well can no matter the "logic" people want to use

MuchoMalo

Banned
Answer me this gaf, cross play between 3ds and Nintendo switch?

You'll get a quicker and equally reliable answer here: http://www.ask8ball.net/

I don't expect an announcement until summer at least, but we'll see. You can never really predict what's going to happen. The same people were swearing up and down Nintendo wouldn't release a third version on a new console and look what seems to be happening. If they want to show it off this week they very well can no matter the "logic" people want to use

Pokemon games are announced in spring.

Masked Man

I said wow
Been really happy with Pokémon Sun, but I wouldn't mind double-dipping for Stars. Wonder if we'll get an announcement on Friday.

Top Bottom