• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop- Trade in your Wii U for $120 plus $75 extra

Has anyone experienced any friction with trying to get this deal?

My plan is to walk in, get the power up rewards card, and then trade in all of my Wii U stuff for credit toward the preorder I already have. Idk why, but I've got a feeling this won't work for some reason. Does the deal apply to preorders you already have, or would you have to get a new preorder for the deal to work?

Also, my Wii U has a dime-sized stain on the top of it that looks like a coffee stain. It's light brown. Idk what happened to it, and even cleaning it wouldn't remove it. Think they'll still take it?

FFMafia

Yeah i got 200$ for it at Gamestop. I brought my Wii U in. Got the 120$ for it, got the 75 for pro and he gave me another 5$ as part of some promo.

https://imgur.com/a/rqwDY
rqwDY

Forgive me I'm still learning how to post an image hope it works.

JJH

I have my Wii U in a closet somewhere. Do you need all the original contents? I remember there being an excessive amount of plastic and/or peripherals when I got mine at launch (Wii U premium.)

So I did the deed today. Traded my Wii u($195),3 wii u pro controllers ($16.50 each), Mario kart 8($27.50), and Smash Bros($27.50) away.

I'm laying in bed tonight and am feeling like I made a terrible mistake. I deeply regret it right now. Truth be told I haven't played my Wii u since last September, and the crowd I used to play Smash and Kart with are no longer around, so the console was simply collecting dust. But man, the thought that maybe in the future I could've played it again with them is setting in. Thank goodness the switch version of kart will have battle mode, but it does suck that I'm basically paying $30 for an upgraded version of that game. Unfortunately without all the controllers though. Getting 4 players on Switch kart will be way too expensive. That is just shitty. But it will have a proper battle mode.... Gah so hard to weigh these pros and cons! It's too late to go back on my decision so I should just be hopeful that the Switch won't disappoint. But then theres Smash. The controller thing sucks , but now I'm also wondering when we'll ever get a port. Will we? Some really think we are but I just don't know. I love Smash so much. It hurt so badly to lose my perfect save file today. Really really hurt. And to have to redo everything on a possible Switch version? Ouch man. Just ouch. I'm feeling even stupider for getting rid of my Wii u today just thinking about it. And if I want to possibly play it online? Gotta pay a monthly fee instead of playing it for free. This is so crappy. I should've never traded my Wii u. I'm really sad now. And just watch , if the Wii u version of Zelda runs better than the switch version I'm going to scream. Deep, deep regret.

if you haven't touched the console since september, there shouldn't be much regret.

Mario Kart and Smash on Switch should be much easier to play locally if people bring their own consoles or controllers or a combo. You should be fine.

LotusHD

Banned
Can't do it. As much dust as my Wii U has gathered (Well, aside from playing Smash), there could always be a chance I want to play an old game. No point in me limiting my options; I'll never sell or trade in a console for an upgrade that doesn't have BC.

I have a question

I want to trade in my PS4(500GB) console..yesterday I purchased online the PRO Membership, so for this console I would make 200 bucks for the Switch..thing is every Gamestop I have called no longer has the NEON one available for pre order, just the grey one..but on their site it shows this promotion goes til next Sunday..so would they still be able to honor the trade in value even if I cant pre order the console that I want? I dont want the grey one(Seems they have plenty of those available for pre order) just really want the Neon one

I have a question

I want to trade in my PS4(500GB) console..yesterday I purchased online the PRO Membership, so for this console I would make 200 bucks for the Switch..thing is every Gamestop I have called no longer has the NEON one available for pre order, just the grey one..but on their site it shows this promotion goes til next Sunday..so would they still be able to honor the trade in value even if I cant pre order the console that I want? I dont want the grey one(Seems they have plenty of those available for pre order) just really want the Neon one

eh, you can pre-order and tell them you specifically want the blue/red one and that if they're out whether they can simply put you on the list to receive that version whenever they receive it again.

But you know, isn't the main difference just the joycon? Why not just get the grey and buy a blue/red joycon later, assuming they're selling those colors.

eh, you can pre-order and tell them you specifically want the blue/red one and that if they're out whether they can simply put you on the list to receive that version whenever they receive it again.

But you know, isn't the main difference just the joycon? Why not just get the grey and buy a blue/red joycon later, assuming they're selling those colors.

So I can pre order even though they no longer have it? Because basically this is all about getting the additional credit so I can buy one..I already have 193 dollars from a previous trade in last year(old XBOX ONE) I already called my local gamestop(Actually called 2 of them) and they dont have the neon one available..I pre ordered it already from best buy but why spend 299 on a console if I can just use my credit and buy it from gamestop..I can go later on this week and do it so how would it work..they give me the credit and just put me a on a wait list for the neon one?

Don't trade or sell your hardware people. Keep em. I regret selling my base PS4 to upgrade to the Pro, sure I wasn't going to use it but it would be cool in the future to have like a "game cave" and have my past systems in a plexiglass like case.

Okay, got it done. Paid off the switch and Zelda. They took my Wii U with the yellowing, but they took off $35 for refurb fee--just in case anyone else is wondering.

I honestly saw no need to keep anything but Tropical Freeze, which I set aside at home. Yoshi's Wooly, NES remix, Mario Maker, and Smash are on 3DS. MK8 is on Switch. The only thing I really lost was Shovel Knight and the two Mario games that came out, which I wasn't a big fan of anyway.

That last sentence made it sound like I wasn't a big fan of shovel knight. I love shovel knight. :)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
God damn I hate GameStop with every fiber of my being. I've almost completely sworn them off the last two years or so since getting GCU and Prime discounts... but every once in a while a deal comes along and I figure I'll give them one more shot, even though I know it'll fail.

Sure enough - I reset my Xbox one original today, and drive 5 miles to unload it. $175 is great.

Except, they can't do the bonus since they have no Switch preorders available. :-/

I can almost bet that's wrong - there's probably a list of something. Regardless, though, if not... well, what's the point of this ad? Two other gamestops... and no switches available, so no bonus.

Wasted an hour.

God damn I hate GameStop with every fiber of my being. I've almost completely sworn them off the last two years or so since getting GCU and Prime discounts... but every once in a while a deal comes along and I figure I'll give them one more shot, even though I know it'll fail.

Sure enough - I reset my Xbox one original today, and drive 5 miles to unload it. $175 is great.

Except, they can't do the bonus since they have no Switch preorders available. :-/

I can almost bet that's wrong - there's probably a list of something. Regardless, though, if not... well, what's the point of this ad? Two other gamestops... and no switches available, so no bonus.

Wasted an hour.

I want to pre order the NEON switch and trade in my PS4 console to get 200 dollars(Since I am a PRO member now) but every gamestop around me does not have the neon one available..so basically I would have to put 50 bucks down just to pre order the grey one for the sole purpose of canceling it if they dont get the neon one..kind of stupid..why even bother having a promotion til next Sunday if they dont have enough pre orders to go around

Wasted an hour.

yeah they probably can't do backlog reservations. Chances are the deal was as good as it was because they had limited stock.

Omadahl

Banned
I'll wait for the flood of incoming Wii U's. Probably trade in my Wii for $5 and get to play Zelda without having to throw down $300.

The guy in front of me preordered the last Switch. I had my Xbox One and enough games to buy it outright. So mad.

Get your crap together Nintendo and send enough freaking consoles.

Instro

Did it this morning. Apparently they only had four left, and only grey models. Kept a few games for potential emulation purposes, traded in the system and the rest. Watch out though, their system is a little screwy about how much the deal is supposed to be for the Wii U trade in. The girl at the register was very helpful and knowledgeable, which was nice given my previous experiences with GS staff. Usually seems like the dudes there don't give a fuck.

Naudi

Banned
Sold mine on CL in a day for 210$ a week ago, Had a few people ask on it too. Bit more work then GS but may be worth it for some.

VICI0US

traded in my PS4 instead. it's just been sitting around since I got a pro anyway. knocked the price down to $100, pretty sweet.

Did it this morning. Apparently they only had four left, and only grey models. Kept a few games for potential emulation purposes, traded in the system and the rest. Watch out though, their system is a little screwy about how much the deal is supposed to be for the Wii U trade in. The girl at the register was very helpful and knowledgeable, which was nice given my previous experiences with GS staff. Usually seems like the dudes there don't give a fuck.

yeah the guy was handling it the best way possible, very screwy system. He had to manually type in the 75 bucks twice because of the way he scanned everything in a specific order and put info in the screen.

Still, he made it all happen.

Is the extra $50 only for those trading in toward switch?

extra 50 if you are just doing it without a membership. extra 75 with the membership (or extra 60 if you need to buy the membership).

And yes, only for those trading in towards a Switch. My friend actually went today when I told him about the deal yesterday and he tried to sell it all and ask for it all as only store credit without putting any towards the Switch. They told him that if he wasn't going to put it towards a Switch that they'd take away the extra 75.

So he preordered it alongside Zelda lol.

In the UK Game will give me £85 for a Wii U 32GB. They have a +10℅ promotion on at the moment. Not a great deal.

I've got the limited edition Zelda One (used code). I have an original copy of Wind Waker HD (not the Nintendo Selects version).

I also have New Super Luigi U (boxed copy, not digital) and a Gold Zelda limited edition Wii Remote.

All in, on UK eBay, that would be worth up to £300, so after fees, enough for a Switch.

But I am holding onto it all. I suspect it will be worth more in the coming years.

Aikidoka

Hope this drops the price of the Wii U. I really want to get TP and WW HD, but spending $250.00 just for the console is a ridiculous proposition. Crazy that Nintendo's brand new console is only one 1 2 Switch away from their failed one.

BCDAWG7

Did the trade in today with my Wii U and PS3 with all the games I had for each system. I got the last Switch preorder and got enough money to pay in full the Switch and Zelda. I didn't have any issues with GameStop a nice smooth process.

I'm seriously considering taking in my OG 3DS XL... gonna miss having animal crossing, kinda wish we'd gotten some words on a new AC on Switch by now :(

Instro

Oh for what it's worth I didn't bring in the sensor bar or the gamepad cradle, and didnt have a problem. Might have just got lucky on the sensor bar though.

So if i have a switch in preorder at GS already, can i go trade in my xbone and get the bonus by applying it to my existing preorder?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Trade in my marvelous all-in-one Nintendo powerhouse?

Nah, thank you. I'm fine. I've already bought the Switch on pre-order, as well.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Last month, my coworker got robbed and all of her stuff was taken. She is a single mom, with a little girl about 10 years old. She had a New 3DS and Pokemon and Mario Kart and some other games that got stolen with all her games. Fucking sucked. Coworker had pain meds for a back injury, jewelery from her grandma, a new laptop, all gone.

So I gave my coworker my Wii U and all my games. I had just about all the good ones. I nearly started crying when I showed the girl the Wii U and how to use it. I've never done anything that made someone's eyes light up like that before. It was like the ending of Toy Story 3...

I played Treasure Tracker with her for a while and she was just giggling the whole time. My coworker brought me cookies the next day. I felt like a superhero. :)

Needless to say I am looking forward to the Switch :)

ironmang

The Wii U has had such terrible sales that it will be a collectible in no time. Pack it up and save it, you'll be glad you did.

I think if someone isn't using it and is intending on getting the Switch they should absolutely trade it in. $195 (or even $180 if you have to buy the pro rewards) is about as good as it's going to get. This console didn't sell for a reason.

Top Bottom