• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop- Trade in your Wii U for $120 plus $75 extra

noqtic

Nah I got the Windwaker Special edition, and I have a feeling in the future I'll be ablle to get that amount for the tablet alone.

Neoxon

Considering that there's no BC & that Wii Us are only gonna get harder to find now that they're discontinued, I think I'll hang onto mine.

Fuck the Wii U 32GB is worth more than my OG Xbox one? Wtf?!!!
The Wii U was discontinued, that's why.

Lucent

So if I'm not a power up member, how much for my og PS4 you think?

Nvm. Looks like $175 without. Probably $185 with after paying $15? I have a $25 gift card a friend gave me for Christmas.

Got a spare Xbox One I don't need, may end up doing this, plus I have a 100 gift card from Gamestop. My brother already bought one, but this deal is sweet as hell.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
On my way to trade in my One S in about 30 minutes. A little disappointed about the Switch price, but knocking it down to $100 and getting rid of the large paperweight on my TV stand really helps soften the blow.

I'll probably do it.
I trade in consoles and games frequently. I value games as singular, individual experiences, so I don't feel attached to anything I own. Plus I'm moving soon, so I need to get rid of things. This looks to be a decent deal.

I talked to someone at a local gamestop and they told me it ends Jan 22. I'll spend this next week playing all my 3DS games then goodbye! I did the math and after I trade in everything I want to i'll only owe $20! :)

Until I have Smash in my hands... no.

This. You can play every Nintendo console game on a Wii U, except ones made for Switch.

I was going to trade it in but then I love Smash 4 way too much and since my Wii U is hacked to play GCN games and more, I can't just give it up yet. Plus I have the Wind Waker HD edition and I feel like it will be rare since it was the only LE produced for it.

Whenever the Smash 4 port is announced, then I'll sell it.

Jarnet87

I got close to $300 for a new 3DS XL, 8 gb Wii U, DQ7 and and Wind Waker HD with the pro card and trade towards the switch.

Remeard

Well dang, looks like the Switch is sold out in my area stores. That trade in amount for the OG Wii U makes it right in my sweet spot, but because they can't preorder outside of the first wave there's no way for them to put a placeholder to take advantage of the promo.

Thanks so much for making a thread OP, I just bought a Switch with 35 dollars out of pocket. Got 200 dollars for my 500 GB Xbox One and used my 100 dollar gift card that was given to me as a gift.

Yup i'm taking advantage of this tomorrow, going to see if I can add me 3ds as well. If all goes well I can get a switch and a game for $80.

Balfour

Traded mine in. Considering I only had Super Smash Bros for the console and it was stashed away in my closet , I traded it in for a total of 195$ with smash bros i was over $200

they're definitely gonna port Smash to the Switch at some point. so I don't think I lose anything

this trade bonus is the only reason I am getting the switch now

sense

Damn, this is tempting because it applies to other systems as well. I bought a PS4 Pro and still have my regular PS4. I wasn't planning on getting a Switch right away but if I could get, what, 200 for the PS4 without having to worry about eBay, etc., damn....
Exact same situation and i just went and traded towards switch. Not sure if i will keep the switch tho. Maybeeeeee zelda.

MazeHaze

Banned
Man how the hell is wii u still as expensive or more expensive than a ps4? Was hoping to get a used one now that switch is coming, but 300 dollars? Gtfo of here.

I was waiting for a 150 dollar wii u, but it seems that wont ever happen. Nothing more is worth it to me, as I only want zelda, mario Kart and bayonetta 2.

Man how the hell is wii u still as expensive or more expensive than a ps4? Was hoping to get a used one now that switch is coming, but 300 dollars? Gtfo of here.

I was waiting for a 150 dollar wii u, but it seems that wont ever happen. Nothing more is worth it to me, as I only want zelda, mario Kart and bayonetta 2.

You can get one for $200 factory refurbished by Nintendo w/ Nintendo Land on eBay.

shingi70

Banned
Man I'm really tempted to trade in my black Wii U and the games I own for. Pretty sure I have enough to pay for most of the switch. Hmmm glad I have till the 22 to make up my mind.

Wait. My digital games are still mine if I sell the Wii U, right? Or no? Like, I'm thinking about cashing in on this deal and turning around and getting a Wii U from a pawn shop a little later.

splattered

Is there a way to buy replacement wii-u control pads with the screen? My young daughter kinda beat ours up, otherwise I'd rather keep it

jxN3

Website says they will give me $110 for the New 3DS... plus the $30 towards Switch...

I bought this 3DS for $99 brand new... what is this sorcery.

Welp, guess I'm going to do this tomorrow.

$140 for my 3DS that I paid $99.99 for, and then another $65 for my dusty ass Wii I haven't touched in years.

If anybody can clarify, you get the extra trade-in credit for more than one system right?

This is gonna drive me mad. I'm going to buy a $300 console just to play one game which I can play on my Wii U, which I don't want to trade in XD
The most I can do is to trade in MK8 and put it towards Deluxe.

Melchior

I might consider this if they port over Bayonetta 1&2 plus put a monster hunter on the switch. Until then they'll have to rip it from my cold dead hands

molnizzle

Wait. My digital games are still mine if I sell the Wii U, right? Or no? Like, I'm thinking about cashing in on this deal and turning around and getting a Wii U from a pawn shop a little later.

You'd have to call Nintendo to transfer them to a new console. Make sure you save the serial number of the Wii U you're trading in, that will make it easier. They've always been helpful with me in the past but this is technically something that's not supported.

Haha, after a day of saying the price was too high I traded in my Wii U and 3DS for a switch. Pretty awesome deal, I didn't pay much more then $200 for my Wii U a few years ago. Switch seems to not have many games but I rarely played the Wii and 3DS anyway, so whatever.

Call me crazy, but I feel like that Wii U will be one of those systems that are hard to find in the future.

Idk about trading it in, but that is a damn good price for it.

Maybe it will be hard to find, but why would you want to? Not bashing the core line up but it seems the biggest titles are getting switch versions

I upgraded to a ps4 pro and wanted to get a good price for my ps4, but I don't think I want a switch in launch. Anyone know if I can take advantage of this and just...not get a switch?

inner-G

Banned
I traded mine during the holiday bonus

Knowing the game pad could die at any time and bone me made me not want to keep it long-term

rekameohs

Banned
Maybe it will be hard to find, but why would you want to? Not bashing the core line up but it seems the biggest titles are getting switch versions
Collectors find value in *relatively* obscure items. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U stays fairly valuable for resale.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nice offer!

But I just can't part with it. Plus I'd literally be throwing away my digital VC and Wii U games. If anything I might dump my original launch Wii. No need for it. The Switch can take it's spot.

Grylvak

I mentioned this in another thread and im not sure if it was mentioned here but some other Nintendo games went up in trade value. Xenoblade Chronicles X went from $11 to almost $25.

So I did the deed today. Traded my Wii u($195),3 wii u pro controllers ($16.50 each), Mario kart 8($27.50), and Smash Bros($27.50) away.

I'm laying in bed tonight and am feeling like I made a terrible mistake. I deeply regret it right now. Truth be told I haven't played my Wii u since last September, and the crowd I used to play Smash and Kart with are no longer around, so the console was simply collecting dust. But man, the thought that maybe in the future I could've played it again with them is setting in. Thank goodness the switch version of kart will have battle mode, but it does suck that I'm basically paying $30 for an upgraded version of that game. Unfortunately without all the controllers though. Getting 4 players on Switch kart will be way too expensive. That is just shitty. But it will have a proper battle mode.... Gah so hard to weigh these pros and cons! It's too late to go back on my decision so I should just be hopeful that the Switch won't disappoint. But then theres Smash. The controller thing sucks , but now I'm also wondering when we'll ever get a port. Will we? Some really think we are but I just don't know. I love Smash so much. It hurt so badly to lose my perfect save file today. Really really hurt. And to have to redo everything on a possible Switch version? Ouch man. Just ouch. I'm feeling even stupider for getting rid of my Wii u today just thinking about it. And if I want to possibly play it online? Gotta pay a monthly fee instead of playing it for free. This is so crappy. I should've never traded my Wii u. I'm really sad now. And just watch , if the Wii u version of Zelda runs better than the switch version I'm going to scream. Deep, deep regret.

So I did the deed today. Traded my Wii u($195),3 wii u pro controllers ($16.50 each), Mario kart 8($27.50), and Smash Bros($27.50) away.

I'm laying in bed tonight and am feeling like I made a terrible mistake. I deeply regret it right now. Truth be told I haven't played my Wii u since last September, and the crowd I used to play Smash and Kart with are no longer around, so the console was simply collecting dust. But man, the thought that maybe in the future I could've played it again with them is setting in. Thank goodness the switch version of kart will have battle mode, but it does suck that I'm basically paying $30 for an upgraded version of that game. Unfortunately without all the controllers though. Getting 4 players on Switch kart will be way too expensive. That is just shitty. But it will have a proper battle mode.... Gah so hard to weigh these pros and cons! It's too late to go back on my decision so I should just be hopeful that the Switch won't disappoint. But then theres Smash. The controller thing sucks , but now I'm also wondering when we'll ever get a port. Will we? Some really think we are but I just don't know. I love Smash so much. It hurt so badly to lose my perfect save file today. Really really hurt. And to have to redo everything on a possible Switch version? Ouch man. Just ouch. I'm feeling even stupider for getting rid of my Wii u today just thinking about it. And if I want to possibly play it online? Gotta pay a monthly fee instead of playing it for free. This is so crappy. I should've never traded my Wii u. I'm really sad now. And just watch , if the Wii u version of Zelda runs better than the switch version I'm going to scream. Deep, deep regret.

*hugs*

If I can afford not to, I never sell my consoles because of stories like this.

This is almost a no-brainer for me. I'm definitely getting the Switch and by checking my activity log, I haven't turned on my Wii U since last January when I played Metroid: Zero Mission. Before that, it had been a solid six months. My only regret will be some of the digital games that I've owned since the Wii, but I actually own most of them on other systems. I'm keeping all of my Smash Bros. gamecube accessories just in case, plus my friend still has a Wii U just in case we all get the Smash craving and there is no way for all of us to play on the Switch.

Thanks OP for the heads up.

Comet

What you can play with a Wii U RIGHT NOW:

Wii U
Wii
GameCube
NES
SNES
N64
TurboGrafx
NeoGeo
Sega Genesis
Sega Game Gear
Mega Drive
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Nintendo DS
MAME
CPS1/2

What we *know* you can play on a Switch

Switch games
NES
SNES
NeoGeo
Probably N64 and GC, eventually.

Have fun playing the waiting game.
While this is true, I also hacked my Wii U and had access to a ton of games beyond what's on VC. The thing is.... I rarely played them. So because of that I traded in my Wii U

So for my Wii U, Pro Controller, Twilight Princess HD I got $240! The Switch is almost paid off now, amazing trade in deal

https://youtu.be/DLNYOJ6qXE8

Looks like the Wii U version of Zelda might perform better than the Switch version. If that matters to you.

I would very much doubt it.

These people don't really know what they are talking about and are comparing old builds to the switch build. Everything we have ever seen on the Wii U for Breath of the Wild has been subpar at best and comparison videos not only show clear visual benefits on the Switch but a much smoother game and much better rendering distance.

Basically Gamespot is being Gamespot.

VanWinkle

I like my Wii U library too much to do that.

Plus, I mean, why should I get rid of my Wii U and pay an extra $125 for a console that is very similar in power and doesn't even have the online functionality of the Wii U built in to the system (let alone the fact that you have to pay for that lack of functionality)?

Top Bottom