• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameXplain: Is Zelda: BotW on Switch Smoother in Handheld Mode? Direct Comparison,

dannie

The retail version of preview still a version 1.0.0 same as Jan 13 when treehouse showing, maybe there update build on 3 Mar for update and to run better, who knows....

Moff

The WiiU version will run better than Switch version on day one at least.

since I won't get a day 1 switch anyway because I did not preorder early enough, this option is definitely still open for me. I hope we get some decent comparisons between the 3 versions on day 1.

That is a massive difference watching them side by side. You fucking serious that Zelda at 900p is taxing the hardware that badly?

The map is 12 times bigger than Xenoblade X and we've seen slowdown in one or two areas. It's not like this is unprecedented. Some PS4 games run like shit at 1080p.

Guymelef

And of course "the exception" doesn't mean every other minute. What a dumb thing to say. Trust me, if the issue was gamebreaking or even a big hassle, we'd be hearing a lot more about it.

Almost every time we need the user experience for these things, Souls games /FF XV frame pacing issues comments for example are no frequent on their reviews.

This in my eyes has always been a handheld that can output to a TV. It makes sense to me that it has an issue playing games at higher resolutions with smooth frame rates. I'll probably play it mostly as a handheld.

The map is 12 times bigger than Xenoblade X and we've seen slowdown in one or two areas. It's not like this is unprecedented. Some PS4 games run like shit at 1080p.

Is this a joke? The PS4 runs games that look like uncharted 4 at 1080p.

Games that run poorly on the PS4 are not due to power issues.

Edit: That part about the map being 12x Xenoblade is nonsense.

Morts

That extra 180p is too much, apparently.

As someone who would have his Switch docked 99.9% of the time this is concerning. I'm really interested to see how the Wii U version compares.

Almost every time we need the user experience for these things, Souls games /FF XV frame pacing issues comments for example are no frequent on their reviews for example.

Frame pacing is a different thing from just general framerate issues, which is what this thread is about.

And the facts, as we know them now, don't suggest this is a big issue. Arguing hypothetical issues is pointless.

Why does it not make sense? It's 720p in handheld mode and 900p docked. Makes sense to me.
Honestly I'm thinking its possible that the GPU clockspeeds weren't changed for this game. The switch is supposedly at least 1.5x to 2.0x as powerful(for gpu) in handheld mode. The resolution could have been downsampled on handheldmode to 720p to match the wii u version. It likely cpuld have handled 900p without dock(the screen can only go up to 720p), but would have suffered from the framerate issues, but didn't to have a smooth frameratr. That's the only explanation I can come up with, or else it has to be really bad bug(which people noticed before in switch demos in Jan), which I doubt.

Nintendo did say the switch version I identical to Wii u version, minus the 900p in docked and better sound quality.

orioto

Good Art™
Actually i think if the Switch had had perfect performance docked and problems in portable, the shit storm would have been way more epic.

Guymelef

Frame pacing is a different thing from just general framerate issues, which is what this thread is about.

And the facts, as we know them now, don't suggest this is a big issue. Arguing hypothetical issues is pointless.

The point is frame pacing is more noticeable and almost every review doesn't talk about it, why trust them to judge frame drops?

Effect

Key thing also to take from the video is the very end where they say this is the exception to the norm. We all want the game to be perfect but this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. This is a dual release and I think that actually buys BoTW some leeway, especially if the rest of the game is so overwhelmingly good. Now if pure Switch releases from Nintendo have this issue in the future then complain away.

krumble

I mean I highly doubt the day 1 patch is going to magically increase the 900p framerate to 30...

If they've given the consoles to various outlets for preview and they're seeing 30FPS @ 720P on the handheld unit, it would be an absolute miracle to release a day 1 patch that pushes BOTW to run a solid 30FPS at 900P.

The more hilarious thing is that the Switch supports 1080P, yet Nintendo's flagship title doesn't even run at the highest resolution.

Also hilarious that the xb1 supports 1080P, yet Microsofts flagship graphical powerhouse title (Ryse) doesn't even run at the highest resolution (runs at 900P)

It's a launch title and often driver / software optimisations for consoles get better over time... this has been happening since the earliest console as programmers open up the power of new systems

Sure I'd love 1080P Zelda docked, but obviously wasn't possible due to the short turn around on the port

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Actually i think if the Switch had had perfect performance docked and problems in portable, the shit storm would have been way more epic.

For sure. This is just odd as the simple solution would seem to be to just not bump graphics, resolution etc. when docked so much that it hurts performance.

Alienous

Honestly I'm thinking its possible that the GPU clockspeeds weren't changed for this game. The switch is supposedly at least 1.5x to 2.0x as powerful(for gpu) in handheld mode. The resolution could have been downsampled on handheldmode to 720p to match the wii u version. It likely cpuld have handled 900p without dock(the screen can only go up to 720p), but would have suffered from the framerate issues, but didn't to have a smooth frameratr. That's the only explanation I can come up with, or else it has to be really bad bug(which people noticed before in switch demos in Jan), which I doubt.

Nintendo did say the switch version I identical to Wii u version, minus the 900p in docked and better sound quality.

Having watched a few Digial Foundry videos I do vaguely recall transparent alpha effects (such as smoke) causing issues with PS4 Pro games. I believe the increase in resolution for those (I'm not sure if Zelda's grass would be included in that category) further tax the CPU, as opposed to just taxing the GPU. So perhaps that's the issue - the Switch is running at increased speeds but the CPU is choking on the higher-fidelity alpha effects.

Scoobie

There must be something wrong with me because i can't see any issues there. Although i did just watch on my phone.

Was this with pro controller in docked mode or Joycons?

Effect

I kinda agree. Optimizing first for portable is actually more important. If the docked mode has an issue here and there it's the potential trade off for it looking better. Ideally there should be no trade off but one situation is easily better then the other I think.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Source for this?

They're mistaking Nintendo saying it was 12x the size of Twilight Princess. It's in no way larger than XBX.

Best estimates from fans put it at around 1.7-2x the size of Skyrim or somewhere around 1.3-1.6x the size of The Witcher 3.

There must be something wrong with me because i can't see any issues there. Although i did just watch on my phone.

Was this with pro controller in docked mode or Joycons?

What difference would that make?

They're mistaking Nintendo saying it was 12x the size of Twilight Princess. It's in no way larger than XBX.

Best estimates from fans put it at around 1.7-2x the size of Skyrim or somewhere around 1.3-1.6x the size of The Witcher 3.

lol I was seriously alarmed for a second there.

rahmz

Neo Member
Is the software used to obtain the video capture built into the switch?

That could play a role in reducing performance.

It's not exactly a fair comparison since they use a camera to record the footage in handheld and the built in software for the tv mode.

They should have used a camera for both modes.

It's not exactly a fair comparison since they use a camera to record the footage in handheld and the built in software for the tv mode.

No. The Switch has no way to capture video internally currently.

No there is no built in video capture functionality (yet).

opricnik

Banned
Also hilarious that the xb1 supports 1080P, yet Microsofts flagship graphical powerhouse title (Ryse) doesn't even run at the highest resolution (runs at 900P)

It's a launch title and often driver / software optimisations for consoles get better over time... this has been happening since the earliest console as programmers open up the power of new systems

Sure I'd love 1080P Zelda docked, but obviously wasn't possible due to the short turn around on the port

They said working on game for switch since 2015

Tain

Why? 720p shouldn't be acceptable on a new generation home console, no? I am fine with it in portable mode.. But in docked mode.. Hell no!

If there's a fully-tested performance profile that is ready and usable on the same exact hardware, there's no good reason to not make it an option to advanced users who may prefer the decisions made in that profile to that of the standard docked one.

Wedzi

Banned
Uh oh. Is it because the dock mode is trying to push 1080p?

Edit. I mean 900p. I confused Zelda with Mario Kart.

dannie

That's the only explanation I can come up with, or else it has to be really bad bug(which people noticed before in switch demos in Jan), which I doubt.

As I remember, the preview version of 1.0.0 run just the same as the 12S Demo in Jan (same frame rate problem in same place).. Maybe Nintendo don't have time to optimise it to the retail version.

Lom1lo

Is it possible that because of the prerelease firmware the clock doesnt get unlocked like it should ? please ?! I cant take worse IQ and worse fps in tv mode..

It.. does? Extra power =/= better frame times. It depends how much they bump everything else.

That's their decision. Whoever makes the games. You can't have 1080p and/or 60fps without sacrificing some graphical fidelity(textures, shading, lighting, polygon counts). You need a balance between the three or prioritize more on one over the others

Top Bottom