• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameXplain: Is Zelda: BotW on Switch Smoother in Handheld Mode? Direct Comparison,

I would have happily paid significantly more for a more capable device.

Given that the portable aspect is a big part of the switch, I'm not convinced it could have been much more powerful than it is. And yeah, if you're expecting a console that is also portable, I'm not sure what rock you've been living under for the past months.

dmix90

Ouch.... This looks like fucked up double-buffer vsync situation. Once there is ~1fps drop from 30 to 29 when Link steps in the grass it just snaps to 15-20fps for a few seconds.

There are? Can you share the link of the DF video for the retail version of Zelda?

Maybe you should follow the conversation a bit more closely, KingSnake. The poster I responded to claimed the Wii U version at E3 had less performance issues than the Switch version. This is false. Yes, it is possible the retail version that no one outside of Nintendo has seen performs better on Wii U, but The Lamp is considering buying both versions of the game based on the Wii U E3 build.

Let's not ignore the fact that at the end of the video he said "these drops are the exception", which has been the thing everyone has said so far. Slowdown exists, but it's not frequent at all.

brawly

An option for 720p docked isn't a bad idea. Like, why are some suddenly forgetting that last gen didn't happen? People were totally fine when the 360 and PS3 did 720p, and even less in some cases. We thought that generation was the best ever until the next generation came out.

Because it was 10 years ago.

Nictel

900p vs 720p. If the GPU is clocked at < 50% of the docked speed when in handheld mode then something is up. That difference should handle 720p handheld and 1080p docked, so 900p should be comfortable enough to not have big differences
Unless it ups morethan just the resolution. Shadows/AA/etc

beta_fuse

Nintendo needs to patch this fast. Hopefully they can give you a 720p option for TV mode. This bugs me more than any other Switch news coming out. I mean yeah I will be playing on handheld too but damn I wanna just sit and enjoy my Zelda experience using a pro controller without issues.

The Lamp

It's really annoying that you are completely ignoring people who have responded to you.

It's not running worse than it did at E3. It's running better. There are Digital Foundry videos of both versions, with frame counters, that prove this. The Wii U version has TONS of framerate issues.

I didn't ignore. If they're right they're right. Nothing to say.

When I WATCHED THE E3 DEMOS i dont remember seeing drops when you come down the hill. I could be mistaken. Hence the word "seemed"

This is still embarrassing for Nintendo nonetheless. $300 system, chugs on its flagship launch title when plugged into a TV.

bachikarn

Data Foundry noticed the same thing everyone else has. There are slight frame drops in busier areas lots of grass, but it's mostly a smooth 30fps in docked mode. The portable mode has lower draw distance and 50% less resolution, so it's not surprising that it doesn't struggle as much.

I specifically asked about worse performance on TV mode vs handheld mode and they thought any difference was just variance. So if you were in the exact same situation on the handheld, you would have the same frame rate drops.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=228361860

Alienous

Let's not ignore the fact that at the end of the video he said "these drops are the exception", which has been the thing everyone has said so far. Slowdown exists, but it's not frequent at all.

What does "the exception" translate to in gameplay time? Only every other minute?

Might be a case of unoptimized/rushed port.

If it were developed from the ground up for Switch with an adequate development time, might have faired better.

Unless you mean QA oversight, it's clear as to why 900p would run worse than 720p.

Yes. Where is their analysis?

The entire point of the GPU being clocked higher in docked mode was so it can handle the games at higher resolutions. So it should offset the increased resolution...at least in theory.

Because it was 10 years ago.

Yeah, now we have moved onto the 1080p vs 900p argument. Nintendo being generation+ behind is justifiable in people's comments. I mean, say what you will, but all consoles being equal, Nintendo should (in theory) get all 3rd party titles.

On the flip side, Nintendo being a hard generation+ behind really shouldnt be a shocker, no matter how disappointing it is.

What does "the exception" translate to in gameplay time? Only every other minute?

I know Dan on the Beastcast this morning said he only ever had issues with it when he was in heavily populated areas or areas of lots of grass, and it never once happened while he was in combat.

And of course "the exception" doesn't mean every other minute. What a dumb thing to say. Trust me, if the issue was gamebreaking or even a big hassle, we'd be hearing a lot more about it.

XandBosch

Well, I assume there'll either be a patch, or you can lock the docked mode to 720p and that might fix the issue.

You'd certainly expect there to be performance issues in handheld mode instead of docked mode though, weird.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Given that the portable aspect is a big part of the switch, I'm not convinced it could have been much more powerful than it is. And yeah, if you're expecting a console that is also portable, I'm not sure what rock you've been living under for the past months.

I think most understand that. The hybrid is just disappointing to a lot of us console-only folk who don't care about portability as it's a lot of power compromised with a still high price due to the screen etc. that we don't want.

Just is what it is, and has me waiting for their to be a bunch of games I want to play and a decent price drop/retailer sale/bundle before seriously considering buying a Switch.

I'm glad Zelda is coming to Wii U still. That's the only one of their active franchises that's still a true "must play" for me so that makes waiting easier.

Maybe its because how it was filmed but man the game looks awful in handheld mode.

Those that played it, any comments?

Handheld mode is going to look terrible when you blow it up full screen. Looks phenomenal when actually looking at the handheld screen.

DF said the same thing a while ago. Its not a huge problem.

I mean, a lot of people had already played the Switch version on various events before, was this a problem back then as well? Has anything changed?

nOoblet16

I also see a difference in lighting between handheld and dock mode, maybe I am wrong since I am watching it through mobile but that's what it looks like.

Inferior visuals + lower resolution could mean that despite having lower clock speed handheld mode runs smoother than dock mode.

Dremorak

Banned
Journalist from Gamekult said on live that, strangely, most of the framerate problems were tied to the Plateau (the first area) and weren't as present in other areas.

This plus the DF video saying it runs super smooth with only a little slowdown from time to time makes me think this wont be as much of an issue as the first 2 mins of the games it seem

Not going to lie this is extremely disappointing. I get that the game has a huge world and tons of assets/data to move but I had hoped the CPU/GPU on the switch would be strong enough to properly handle a Wii U port even if it was running in a higher resolution. Really looking to see tear down on this thing now because this is concerning. (not canceling my preorder though)

I mean, a lot of people had already played the Switch version on various events before, was this a problem back then as well? Has anything changed?
This is actually smoother than it was for the demo version. The thing is that these sort of drops are actually infrequent in of itself, but Handheld is more consistent nonetheless.

Alienous

I know Dan on the Beastcast this morning said he only ever had issues with it when he was in heavily populated areas or areas of lots of grass, and it never once happened while he was in combat.

And of course "the exception" doesn't mean every other minute. What a dumb thing to say. Trust me, if the issue was gamebreaking or even a big hassle, we'd be hearing a lot more about it.

That doesn't seem exceptional in the context of Breath of the Wild.

I suppose we'll see how prevalent it is as greater and deeper opinions surface.

They should allow a way to set the game docked at 720P to solve this issue as a quick fix

but this is not something that will frustrate me at all

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Geez. They need to add a universal option to allow you to run games in 'handheld' mode on your TV, if this is going to be common. The game should never be allowed to run worse when docked, it makes the whole concept seem compromised.

The GPU isn't overclocked in docked mode also?

If it's possible a game could run worse, then perhaps devs should use a dynamic resolution that scales beyond handheld mode when possible, but dials back down if the framerate is suffering.

Moff

yes I'd like to see an option for handheld resolution in docking mode for all switch games, I am just more of a framerate guy

Schnozberry

I specifically asked about worse performance on TV mode vs handheld mode and they thought any difference was just variance. So if you were in the exact same situation on the handheld, you would have the same frame rate drops.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=228361860

Interesting. I wonder if they'll weight in on their experience with the retail build. Maybe they'll have a different take. Some of the reviewers have noticed minor drops, but have all said that it hasn't really had much of an effect on their experience.

The dock doesn't add power, just unlocks it.

Ok. Then shouldn't the flagship title on a new piece of hardware take advantage of that extra unlocked power?

Or it is so CPU dependent that extra GPU power is meaningless?

Geez. The game should never be allowed to run worse when docked, it makes the whole concept seem compromised.

Exactly. Worse performance in docked mode is a joke. Let it run at the handheld resolution if the frame rate can't be locked at 30 in dock mode.

That doesn't sound exceptional in the context of Breath of the Wild.

Look man, I don't know what to tell you. All I can say is that every single person who has played the game has said the performance is fine a majority of the time. We know this. These are facts. If the performance was terrible or exceptionally bad, we'd hear a lot more about that than all the praise it's getting. I'm gonna choose to believe the people who are actually playing the game over people speculating on the internet.

If you want to argue semantics, do it with them.

Nerazar

yes I'd like to see an option for handheld resolution in docking mode for all switch games, I am just more of a framerate guy

That would be nice and pretty easy to implement, actually. I can also live with more FPS on the big screen and I don't care much about 1080P - it's a nice thing to have, but FPS is more important.

But for now, maybe they should keep the options down or else we will have a situation where every game may have 10 different options for anything, like on PC.

Look man, I don't know what to tell you. All I can say is that every single person who has played the game has said the performance is fine a majority of the time. We know this. These are facts. If the performance was terrible or exceptionally bad, we'd hear a lot more about that than all the praise it's getting. I'm gonna choose to believe the people who are actually playing the game over people speculating on the internet.

If you want to argue semantics, do it with them.
lots of people just don't care that much about performance tho man. Just wait for the DF stuff...

Top Bottom