• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming podcast that deserve more love.

kgb525

Neo Member
Hey guys, this is Karl from the Super Marcato Bros. Thanks to everyone who has checked out our podcast, and thanks to PillarEN for the shoutout. Some of my favorite video game music podcasts are:

1) Top Score (now defunct) - twas another podcast about VGM. Was a big source of inspiration for our show. Emily has since moved onto another show, which is...
2) Joon Media - her new podcast, which focuses on not only game music, but other aspects of games as well. Awesome interviews every week.
3) The Game Informer Show - I love the guys at G.I. And this podcast doesn't disappoint.

If anyone ever has a comment, question or suggestion for our podcast, let me know! We're proud to be part of a pretty great little sub-community of podcasts!

Cheers

bigjig

Any good non North American podcasts by English speakers? I enjoy Giantbomb and a few other Yank podcasts, but I can only take so much of their culture.

Try Bit Socket, Crate and Crowbar, Videogamer UK and Daft Souls. They seem to be the cream of the crop for UK offerings from what I've found. I'd really recommend Bit Socket especially as they seem to get no love on GAF but are in my mind the funniest games podcast going.

Try Bit Socket, Crate and Crowbar, Videogamer UK and Daft Souls. They seem to be the cream of the crop for UK offerings from what I've found. I'd really recommend Bit Socket especially as they seem to get no love on GAF but are in my mind the funniest games podcast going.

I would echo most of these recommendations. VideoGamer is probably the best of the bunch. I listen to daft souls most weeks and Crate and Crowbar fairly regularly (not heard of bits socket). VideoGamer is probably the most straightforward and mainstream in terms of topics covered, and probably the most structured (or best edited). In daft souls and Crate and Crowbar there is a tendency to herbs extremely meandering conversations. If you are interested in what they are discussing then that is great, otherwise not so good. The latter 2 are both more likely to cover indie games and obscure games, so as above is it is something you are interested in then that is cool, otherwise it is a bit boring.

I think PS Nation deserves some love considering the work they put into it despite having full time jobs. They consistently put out great podcasts on a weekly basis and the coverage they put out during the week of E3 is 2nd to none.

sora87

It makes me sad seeing some of the utter garbage that gets 100k views/downloads and you have GT Time over here being the best podcast around and sitting around 20-30k on youtube and 20k on their site.

TechJunk

DLC is great, although I always skip their second to last segment, Table top time where they talk about boardgames. Love Cannata's enthusiasm and Spicer's regular playing devil's advocate.

PS I LOVE YOU XOXO is also good, never listened to Colin and Greg on IGN. I find the podcasts have a good pace, they keep it entertaining.

Gamers with Jobs works for me too.

Hey guys, this is Karl from the Super Marcato Bros. Thanks to everyone who has checked out our podcast, and thanks to PillarEN for the shoutout. Some of my favorite video game music podcasts are:

1) Top Score (now defunct) - twas another podcast about VGM. Was a big source of inspiration for our show. Emily has since moved onto another show, which is...
2) Joon Media - her new podcast, which focuses on not only game music, but other aspects of games as well. Awesome interviews every week.
3) The Game Informer Show - I love the guys at G.I. And this podcast doesn't disappoint.

If anyone ever has a comment, question or suggestion for our podcast, let me know! We're proud to be part of a pretty great little sub-community of podcasts!

Cheers

Great show you guys have. Will definitely check out joon media.

I would love to hear you guys go in depth on Axiom Verge, Splatoon, and maybe Xenoblade to correspond with the new xenoblade out next month. Axiom Verge's soundtrack is so good, definitely check it out.

Here's my plug for Ryan Steven's Game is a Four Letter Word. It's A Life Well Wasted meets Radiolab. You guys might remember him from the old Gametrailers podcast, Invisible Walls. GFLW is super smart and has some really crazy shows tied around a four letter theme. For example, they had an entire show based around the word PINK. There were some fascinating gaming stories and pieces of history surrounding iit, including a wonderfully researched story about the legal battles between Nintendo and Universal over DONKEY KONG. acraziness ensued, and journey ended in the creation of one of Nintendo's iconic characters. And, yes, the theme sticks through the entire show. It's good stuff.

kgb525

Neo Member
Great show you guys have. Will definitely check out joon media.

I would love to hear you guys go in depth on Axiom Verge, Splatoon, and maybe Xenoblade to correspond with the new xenoblade out next month. Axiom Verge's soundtrack is so good, definitely check it out.

Thanks! Good to know. We'll look into those soundtracks for sure, and try to add one of them to our list of future episodes.

SURGEdude

Absolutely. I think she, herself, has acknowledged that part of her online persona has been amped up so that people would notice but I think that now that they have, she either has nothing beyond the initial shtick or is too afraid to reveal what chops she actually has.
Either way, something has to give as after being sick on the podcast there's not much lower to go.

Yeah I appreciate her self-awareness. It still doesn't make her seem fit. I think on another podcast she would do better. Jim is just so insightful, and Gavin only talks about things he knows. She talks all the time and seems to not know half of what she's talking about and just kinda trails off or ends with an awkward silence. Realizing she writes for today's diminished Destructoid makes perfect sense.

This seemed like the most appropriate place to post my podcast. We have a Film Making thread, maybe we should have an official Podcasters thread? Just an idea. it seems we have a large community of Podcasters here.

Anyway my site has launched our gaming podcast. It's a Comedy podcast about gaming.

We have a game we play in it called not so legal advice where one of our hosts who is a lawyer is given scenarios by myself and our other host role playing as NPCs. It's like if Dungeons and Dragons mixed with Phoenix Wright.

I also got some nice chiptune music made for the into, outro and background loops during segments. We have a few other games we are going to introduce to the show as well.

The show isn't really about news like most games podcasts, it's a comedy show about games by people who play them.

Unranked on iTunes

Mudron

I'm not much for pimping my own podcasts, but seeing as we just played Duke Nukem Forever for Tardy to the Party (in which my cohost and I go back to play/watch/read stuff from our game/movie/comics backlogs):

http://tardypodcast.com/2016/04/20/tardy-to-the-party-episode-36-duke-nukem-forever/

We also had a two-part mega blowout of Final Fantasy VI a few weeks back:

Part 1: http://tardypodcast.podbean.com/e/tardy-to-the-party-029-final-fantasy-vi-part-one/
Part 2: http://tardypodcast.podbean.com/e/tardy-to-the-party-030-final-fantasy-vi-part-two/

...aaaand our very first episode was about Yoshi's Island: http://tardypodcast.com/2015/08/18/tardy-to-the-party-001-yoshis-island/

I've really been enjoying Power Pros, if you want a good Nintendo focused podcast. Hosted by two former Nintendo Power editors (Chris Hoffman and Chris Slate)

Came here to say this. Surprised it took this many posts for it to be mentioned. Nintendo Newscast is another good one, it used to be called Amiibo Newscast.

Not to sound indelicate, but many of these podcasts have hosts with rather unattractive, stereotypical sounding voices. I can't listen to the GiantBomb podcast for more than 20 minutes without feeling like I'm in line for a midnight launch at GameStop, they all sound like stereotypical "knowitall gamers".

Which podcast have hosts with "radio-quality" voices?

JackDT

I've heard of "Video Games Hot Dog" for years but for some reason never actually tried it.

All the random digressions are right to my taste. Trolley moral dilemmas and the morality of the Source Code movie, Roko's basilisk, Werner Herzog films.

http://videogameshotdog.com/

If you're the right type of person this is an awesome podcast.

Fantomas

Any of these pod casts talk about uncharted 4? I'm looking for a good one. Sort of new to the whole pod cast thing.

Well you are in luck in that case, Game Informer just did a new "Game Club" segment on Uncharted 4.

They basically gather around to talk about UC4 for a while and take listener emails into the discussion as well.

First Episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdRzlXYrOXY&index=4&list=PLoAFmgzYW18LU1O5OAMtdPqsysq8dy8f5#

Second Episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdHicMoH2XY&index=2&list=PLoAFmgzYW18LU1O5OAMtdPqsysq8dy8f5#

Top Bottom