• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gaming" Products Are A Huge Red Flag

Gaming products are all fun and games, shelling out thousands of extra dollars for special features, until a basic function turns out to be flawed and renders the entire "Gaming product" useless.

I just scrapped my $3500 Digital Storm 3080 "Gaming Laptop" because the sticky strips on the back gave out on the screen, and it flops like a fish on top of the keyboard, making it a massive frustration to use. It has all the Gaming extras, but It's trash now, as its basic function is flawed. Digital Storm refused warranty because it's only 1 year for hardware. I gave it away to an old man who has no clue how to use it to game.

I'm sticking to a "Practical PC" from now on.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I messed up and bought one of these, thinking it was a brand new PS5;

mhdl2up75d451.jpg

Dude....You got a gaming laptop. An expensive ass one at that. You should have bought a practical laptop and just a dedicated PC. Probably would have saved a lot of money and had a better product. Gaming laptops are a dream that no practical person other than teenagers actually want to use.

The idea of having a nice portable, strong, dedicated gaming hardware with all the awesome useability of a PC is great. They just almost always suck in practical use. Battery degradation and life after playing a few games can and will happen and you'll be buying new battery every year if you use a laptop to play AAA games at max settings or you'll always have to be carrying your charger.

Laptops suck for gaming. They are a nice idea, some genres are ok, but most suck to play on laptops.

That said, I LOVE my "gaming" Razer mice and keyboard. Some of the most comfortable and ergonomic pieces of kit I've had for my PC's.

The screen was attached with double sided tape?
That's what it looked like. It was a few black strips that sticks and the heat from the monitor would just unstick them, it was ridiculous. It lasted just long enough to be out of warranty, and there is no way to know until it is too late. Real sketchy design! It's probably a $200 fix, but I am so offended I want nothing to do with it...

Last edited:

Aces High

Gaming peripherals are proof that there is no master race in gaming.

People are paying hundreds of dollars for fucking racing chairs made from cheapo plastic just because some sponsored dude with a webcam told them to.

Wtf are you gonna need that lateral support for? There are no g-forces involved while playing video games.

Cyberpunkd

Gaming peripherals are proof that there is no master race in gaming.

People are paying hundreds of dollars for fucking racing chairs made from cheapo plastic just because some sponsored dude with a webcam told them to.

Wtf are you gonna need that lateral support for? There are no g-forces involved while playing video games.
TBH this is not limited to gaming at all. Look at running - people running 3h30 marathon buying Vaporfly 3 when some bro 30 years ago was breaking 3 hours in shit shoes.
Or instruments - 30k for a fucking digital grand piano from Yamaha, where all that craftsmanship is done so you can play a fucking MIDI sound from an onboard sound board?

Dude....You got a gaming laptop. An expensive ass one at that. You should have bought a practical laptop and just a dedicated PC. Probably would have saved a lot of money and had a better product. Gaming laptops are a dream that no practical person other than teenagers actually want to use.

The idea of having a nice portable, strong, dedicated gaming hardware with all the awesome useability of a PC is great. They just almost always suck in practical use. Battery degradation and life after playing a few games can and will happen and you'll be buying new battery every year if you use a laptop to play AAA games at max settings or you'll always have to be carrying your charger.

Laptops suck for gaming. They are a nice idea, some genres are ok, but most suck to play on laptops.

That said, I LOVE my "gaming" Razer mice and keyboard. Some of the most comfortable and ergonomic pieces of kit I've had for my PC's.
There are plenty of good gaming laptops out there. OP just bought a shitty one.

You aren't supposed to play games on gaming laptops without being plugged into an outlet.
Gaming laptops are for moving from point to point and then sitting down there and gaming.

If you want a true portable gaming PC experience, that's what Steam Deck is for.

BlackTron

So you already had 3080 level hardware that you, or any other gamer, could have plugged into a monitor and used like a desktop station. You gave it away to an old man so you can...make a desktop.

I would have kept it in service as my "desktop" at least until the next video card refresh. Sheesh. My 3070 laptop actually works and this is the only way I use it at home anyway. I just like that I can unplug it and stick it in a bag too.

nial

Gold Member
You don't have to deal with any of Sony's bullshit on PS2, tho. That alone makes it far superior. No account-gating, no stupid bloated OS bullshit with ads, no Playstation-Plus crap. Just video games.
It sure was better when you could just insert a disc and that was it, but at the same time, I don't think most of this stuff bothers me that much in the end. The PS Plus bit is funny since you can't even play online (officially, at least) on PS2 anymore.
And PS2's library is better than PS4 and PS5 combined.
No, and I hold the PS2 library in high regard.
But I want to put emphasis on the digital BC. Physical all the way, but when you look at the sales of a copy of, say, Gravity Rush 1, it sure is nice to just have the PSN version available at a much lower price. How much is PaRappa the Rapper 2 going for on eBay?

Last edited:

Hudo

It sure was better when you could just insert a disc and that was it, but at the same time, I don't think most of this stuff bothers me that much in the end. The PS Plus bit is funny since you can't even play online (officially, at least) on PS2 anymore.

No, and I hold the PS2 library in high regard.
But I want to put emphasis on the digital BC. Physical all the way, but when you look at the sales of a copy of, say, Gravity Rush 1, it sure is nice to just have the PSN version available at a much lower price. How much is PaRappa the Rapper 2 going for in eBay?
Then it seems we differ on what we want out of a console and what we like. That's Ok!

Tsaki

Yeah. For me it's RGB; if it has it, I don't buy it, simple as. I don't care how performant this RAM stick is, I'm not paying for hooker memory.

There are some exceptions. Any non-reference GPU fast enough to actually play modern games on is going to be gaming branded, and the same goes for high refresh rate monitors and the vast majority of mice with decent sensors.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You mean to tell me Gamer™ Energy Nuts™ are a scam?

gamer_food_caffeinated_energy_snacks.jpeg

Interesting that the pitch is quite similar to that of gym supplements. ENERGY ENERGY ENERGY.

One claims to help you run faster, further and lift heavier things.

One aims to help you sit practically motionless in a chair.

TBH this is not limited to gaming at all. Look at running - people running 3h30 marathon buying Vaporfly 3 when some bro 30 years ago was breaking 3 hours in shit shoes.
Or instruments - 30k for a fucking digital grand piano from Yamaha, where all that craftsmanship is done so you can play a fucking MIDI sound from an onboard sound board?
Also photography and golf. Some people look for hobbies as a cash dump and that's all.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gaming chairs going for hundreds of dollars, is amusing.
but what is the alternative?
Let's say secretlab - 500$. It has all the ergonomics and features 2000$ chairs have.
The quality is not the best. Parts keep breaking... but there is no alternative in this price range. Not with these functions and features.
Forget about diablo chairs. Some of this stuff can be pretty good

Wildebeest

What is the logic of using a keboard with key presses so heavy that it sounds like a hailstorm when you use it, while using a mouse that is made from gossamer and fairy whispers which is so light and sensitive that an ant could use it?

Jesb

You could’ve atleast sold it to a gamer or use it still.

Would never buy a gaming laptop. Any laptop I ever owned eventually fails or stops working the same. I have my desktop that I built for probably close to 10 years with very little issues.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I'm not too bothered by this kind of thing but gaming headsets are on the other end of spectrum most have dual input at the same time these days and there's genuine innovation in the space such as the explores gaming buds with BT 2.4ghz and planar magnetics.

Also my secretlab chair is decent.

Top Bottom