• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gaming" Products Are A Huge Red Flag

RickMasters

RGB the worst fad

*looking at my custom build PC...then looks back at thread*

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

RickMasters

I really hate laptops. I avoid them if at all possible and stick to custom built desktops. Cheaper, more powerful, etc. If I got a laptop, it would be for on the go word processing.. or something. Sorry to hear.

I hate them too. for anything other than web browsing I absolutely hate them.

RickMasters

OP...for real though you could have built a proper descent rig for the $3500. I say build your own.

Its a fun process, once you gently place that CPU in the tray (which is probably the most nerve wracking bit to be honest). Buy a good CPU,GPU and RAM...a nice feature rich motherboard to slot them into (lots of USB and NVM ports...I recommend ASUS or gigabyte) wrap it in a cool PC case and you are good to go!

I dunno what people got against LEDs around here...I love em! easily replicable in a custom case and have no effect on the machine whatsoever. just cool lighting to add a lil ambience when you got the lights low. I use my custom builds for music production but I play the odd game on them now ang again. The lighting helps me get in my creative mood...that and a few shots of patron.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I know it is.

Just curious, because lots of gamers always say that older consoles were better.

Edit:

Have to say that XMB was still the best UI.
6th gen was definitely my favorite but I'm not sure that I would narrow it down to just PS2. All of the consoles from that era had so many kickass games, and I don't think that any of the subsequent gens managed to surpass them.

Dude....You got a gaming laptop. An expensive ass one at that. You should have bought a practical laptop and just a dedicated PC. Probably would have saved a lot of money and had a better product. Gaming laptops are a dream that no practical person other than teenagers actually want to use.

The idea of having a nice portable, strong, dedicated gaming hardware with all the awesome useability of a PC is great. They just almost always suck in practical use. Battery degradation and life after playing a few games can and will happen and you'll be buying new battery every year if you use a laptop to play AAA games at max settings or you'll always have to be carrying your charger.

Laptops suck for gaming. They are a nice idea, some genres are ok, but most suck to play on laptops.

That said, I LOVE my "gaming" Razer mice and keyboard. Some of the most comfortable and ergonomic pieces of kit I've had for my PC's.
I remember back in the day watching someone raiding in Molten Core on a laptop at a lan; Seeing him sliding his finger on the touch pad to move the camera to run back from the graveyard was one of the most annoying things I've ever witnessed.

Killjoy-NL

6th gen was definitely my favorite but I'm not sure that I would narrow it down to just PS2. All of the consoles from that era had so many kickass games, and I don't think that any of the subsequent gens managed to surpass them.
Fair enough.
I loved that gen as well, especially jrpgs. Completely fell out of touch with jrpgs from PS3 onwards. (Do buy FF every time though and FFXIV is one of the best games ever created imo)

It just always seems so weird when people claim the console was better than what we have today.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
but what is the alternative?
Let's say secretlab - 500$. It has all the ergonomics and features 2000$ chairs have.
The quality is not the best. Parts keep breaking... but there is no alternative in this price range. Not with these functions and features.
Forget about diablo chairs. Some of this stuff can be pretty good
The alternative is to walk into a store that sells office chairs and find a $500 chair. I guarantee you will find something better at that price point.

Gamer merchandise is primarily lower quality products that have resources allocated to producing G A M E R A E S T H E T I C with massive markup. Get a boring looking office chair at the same price point of the gamer chair with the same feature set and the boring office chair will win every time.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Feel like MS and apple only quality laptops out there these days, some other come close but they are the top tier.

To bad beat you can do is a 4060 in the surface line

Everything branded and labeled as gaming is pure shit. Back in the 90s, when we got real games, that shit didn't exist. It started when all the unwashed masses came to the party and five people with four laptops in a parking lot stopped being a serious developer team.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Fair enough.
I loved that gen as well, especially jrpgs. Completely fell out of touch with jrpgs from PS3 onwards. (Do buy FF every time though and FFXIV is one of the best games ever created imo)

It just always seems so weird when people claim the console was better than what we have today.
In a lot of ways it was, I think. Maybe not in terms of hardware but the games were more exciting back then. I didn't even own those consoles at the time but I remember salivating over every console game that I saw in a magazine, and whenever I checked out some new game on one of my friends' GameCube or PS2, it was literally the best thing I've played up until that point. Silent Hill 2, MGS 3, Burnout 3, Gran Turismo 3, God of War, Resident Evil 4, Rogue Squadron 2, Metroid Prime... the list goes on.

Nowadays most first party games are very same-y. They may have different stories and settings but they all share the same building blocks and it just doesn't feel exciting anymore because there's no innovation in anything but graphics. Too much focus on political correctness and fake pandering also takes away from the creative freedom and innovation. The only games that ever feel exciting to me anymore mostly come from Japan or AA publishers from Europe because they just don't care about that crap and focus on making games instead.

How did you even find a laptop that costs $3500? I bought two Dell G15 3060 laptops in January 2021, and they were $1600 CAD after tax. Two years later and they work like new. I play games at 4K/60 with DLSS.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
On one hand, yes, things labelled 'gaming' are usually artificially inflated in price to prey on people looking for the 'gaming' look. On the other hand, make better purchasing decisions.

Top Bottom