• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Reflexes, or am I getting old?

Mask

I'm finding that although my gaming reflexes have stayed the same, I tend to be slow at reacting in real life.

I have my own reflexes test. The day I can't complete Splatterhouse 2 without losing any lifes or credits, is the day I've started to lose
my reflexes.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Unless you've become physically handicapped in this regard somehow (arthritis, etc.), this is usually a case of just being out of practice or short on patience, imo. Or playing on bad TVs, bad emulators, etc. I've seen too many Japanese Street Fighter champions still tearing it up in their 30s to think that it's a significant issue in and of itself.

I'm better at video games at 29 than I was when I was 9, and I don't think I was a slouch back then, either.

There are very few genres outside of twitch shooters that need as fast reflexes as they did ten years ago.

Even then, understanding of the actual game triumphs reaction time.

Can I do a on reaction X-factor comeback happy birthday with 2 frames reaction time? Probably not. But I can read my opponent well enough to know what and understand the options provided by the game to react accordingly.

If you are having problems with any game, take a moment to sit back and understand what the game is actually requiring you to do. There are no random moments in video games, just ones you are unprepared for.

ArjanN

Let's be honest, slower reaction time is just an excuse 99% of the time.

It pretty much always comes down to not playing/practicing as much.
There's almost no game you can't beat with enough persistence, and as a kid you had all the time in the world.

Also, people tend to overestimate how good they actually were at games. Billy from next door probably just sucked slightly more at SF2.

Moozo

While I was in the middle of putting 29 days in to COD4 my reactions were unbelievable.
It deteriorates so quickly as soon as you stop though. I went back to play it again the other day and was awful.

Maybe not so much the reflexes, but the motion sickness. My god, the motion sickness. I almost hurled so many times playing the new Tomb Raider when I would swing the camera; it got to the point I played most of the game aiming, so at least I would have the reticule to focus on. Everything I played that game I felt nauseated.

ArjanN

19. Can't play CoD multiplayer anymore as my reflexes have gotten so terrible and slow. :\

At 19 your reflexes would most likely still be getting better, not worse. You're out of practice and/or playing against better players.

While I was in the middle of putting 29 days in to COD4 my reactions were unbelievable.
It deteriorates so quickly as soon as you stop though. I went back to play it again the other day and was awful.

It's all about the time you put in, I've been playing a lot of CS:GO again lately, and just knowing things like how different guns handle, the map layout, where and when enemies are likely to show up etc. already gives you a huge advantage over someone who's out of practice.

Reflexes go down with age, that's inevitable. However, playing games that demand reflexes also improve your reaction time and hand-eye coordination. I'm turning 37 next month and got 244ms in that test, which is about average I think. I really notice how much my reflexes have worsened since I was twenty, but good games allow you to compensate with experience, prediction and anticipation.

Red

The system and input you're using on that reflex test affect the outcome. I got 600+ on mobile, 325 on my Chromebook, and 288 on my desktop using a real mouse.

Maybe it's because when you were younger, you gamed more, allowing your reflexes to stay sharp. Now that you game less, you have less of a need for quick reflexes and struggle at times when you wouldn't have in the past.

Blizzard

Banned
I've seen stories occasionally saying that 24 is the optimal human point for Starcraft or something, or for League the optimal human point is 18-20 or whatever. So ultimately you probably do become old and decrepit once you pass that point, IT'S ALL DOWN HILL etc. :p

Trying to stay fit, practicing what you enjoy, and so forth are probably the best things. If a game is frustrating maybe there are better options.

foxbeldin

MMM3Ovn.png

yeah i anticipated... gamers habits never die

Oh and this test is under the influence of input lag anyway.

Maluf360

31 here - I cannot get in the same level as I was around 15/20 but still doing pretty good.

I wish there was a feature on every console called '30s and up with little time to game', multiplayer matches would be way better :D

In the games I play, the older the players get, the more they camp on their bellies. Granted, some of them have messed up arms and hands from playing games hardcore for so long.

petran79

Banned
I was decent when I played NES and Atari games but sucked at Amiga games.

not only due to the harder games and difficult controls but because they were good arcade ports.

I sucked at arcades, couldnt last more than 5 minutes in any game with one coin, so I played beat em ups and light gun shooters where you could continue if you inserted another coin.

I avoided playing games that relied on reflexes. Only exception was Doom in the mid-90s but with cheat codes.
Mortal Kombat too but on easy difficulty.
but with keyboard. the fighting games I played were mostly through emulators and with save states.

Only exception was Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast and arcades. the only game I knew how to play well.

So when I played SF4 in 2011 and revisited the older fighters and bought an arcade stick, I had a mountain to climb. Managed to raise my reflexes and reactions a little. I think this would be my level anyway, even if I didnt miss those games.
Recently I learned to play fighters on a pad too.

I can do some AB cancels on Garou and on Last Blade 2. thats quite an achievement.
I lack the execution speed for something more.

the most important thing is that I am able to understand those games better now. were I a teen I'd mash randomly and I'd have given up easily.

the use of keyboard and right hand for directions and left for execution ruined things for me.

Top Bottom