• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming While Black

Saw this pop up on my tumblr feed today and while these tweets are a few months old, they still resonate with current problems that I and other black gamers go through.There are multiple frustrations when it comes to representation in games and when discussing about rep with non-black gamers. People arguing about fictional creatures being more realistic than an actual human in a game for example. Just a little something for those who relate.

dfe16VR.png

suQMGze.png

tumblr_inline_odjvknTPfl1t3082v_540.png

Here's the link to the rest of the tweets.
http://the-real-eye-to-see.tumblr.com/post/150447326911/video-gaming-while-black
Direct link to the tweets.

Akronis

Saw this pop up on my tumblr feed today and while these tweets are a few months old, they still resonate with current problems that I and other black gamers go through.

dfe16VR.png

suQMGze.png

There are multiple frustrations when it comes to representation in games and when discussing about rep with non-black gamers. Just a little something for those who can relate.
Here's the link to the rest of the tweets.
http://the-real-eye-to-see.tumblr.com/post/150447326911/video-gaming-while-black

That first one is def true in a lot of games.

- J - D -

Oh thank goodness this wasn't about a black person getting shot by cops while playing games. I got that vibe when I read the thread title.

Infinite

I too despise that ashy look you get when you pick the darkest available skin tone in western games with character creation. Devs need to discover undertones.

I've been long waiting for a black woman in a FF game or a JRPG with multiple ones in general. Doubt Square would do it, so looks like I'm on my own for seeing that happen.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Seeing all those images makes me seriously disappointed in character creators. There are some really wonderful styles there. Video games need to figure out a way to let players essentially sculpt their character, including the hair, or move to more slider levels of detail for the hair (texture, thickness, styles, etc.). It's amazing how much control I remember having in some character creators for the size and placement of facial features and body parts, yet I didn't have that for hair apart from some already pre-made styles and color.

But I also haven't messed with a character creator in a while, so maybe things have changed. This thread makes me think otherwise, though. Most recently, I started Divinity: Original Sin, and the hair options there were really disappointing.

I've shared this story before, but the moment I realised just how bad this sort of thing was involved Zasalamel from Soul Calibur. I saw a topic on some forum talking about the roster of the first game he was cut from, and a poster lamented, heartbroken, how there had finally been a character who kinda looked like him in his favourite series and now that character was cut and he had no one again.

PixelatedBookake

This is so true. I spend so long in games with character creators to make my character have black features (nose, lips, hair) it drives me up the wall. I don't just want a dark skinned white person. We have specific features, dammit!

I've shared this story before, but the moment I realised just how bad this sort of thing was involved Zasalamel from Soul Calibur. I saw a topic on some forum talking about the roster of the first game he was cut from, and a poster lamented, heartbroken, how there had finally been a character who kinda looked like him in his favourite series and now that character was cut and he had no one again.
And now that breaks my heart. Representation matters.

RRockman

Banned
All I wanted was an afro in Sun and Moon. Mirror B got one! Why cant't I?

*Cries in corner*

I'm not at all bothered by a lack of diversity in Japanese games because of their culture, you draw what you see after all. I was however pleasantly surprised by how diverse the denizens of aloa were compared to past games. It really felt like they were trying this time around. I feel hairstyles is a complaint that will be addressed as things continue to improve. However, western games have no such excuse in this matter.

Ashtar

This thread won't last but:

tumblr_inline_odjvknTPfl1t3082v_540.png

This is the most etherous. Ya'll eat that shit up too, but it's whatever.
It burns slow, mafia 3 thought featured black writer, de md had at least one as well, if have to claw through watch dogs 2s credits but given how big the teams are no way they could have avoided having a brown fella on their
Terrible character creators with horrendous hair selections though. I have to give s shoutout to sunset overdrive I was able to make a reasonable facsimile of my wife with the character creator which was truly something unique usually it's only jacked up fade, Afro and poop locks

Kwame120

Banned
The character creator problem is always an issue, if you somehow manage to find your skin colour, hair-style isn't representative at all. The latest Fire Emblem games are notorious for the character creator issue, especially as in Awakening
Your father is black, but there's no dark skin tone options

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm peanut butter colored and have short hair so its pretty easy for me to replicate myself in games.

I feel for you though OP, the blacker of us don't have genes to be uniquely represented in gaming. The darker your skin is and rougher your hair is, the less people care about your situation or seeing things from your point of view in most areas, not just looks.

Kthulhu

I feel bad for laughing at that second tweet.

I had a friend and a youtuber I watch complain about how their is only really one black skin tone as an option in Pokemon S&M.

Link to the youtuber: https://youtu.be/bbApZJwfLxo?t=166

They said that every black character in The Last of Us died

Oh god, it's true. That's kinda fucked.

Edit: Also this thread is further proof that Saints Row 3&4 are the most inclusive games in regards to character creation.

In some 1st person ganes & VR titles, its the hands that kill it for me. RE7 recently and Batman VR. Though the latter its when you look in the mirror. Its unavoidable in a title like that, but I could've' been Batwing.

All I wanted was an afro in Sun and Moon. Mirror B got one! Why cant't I?

*Cries in corner*

I'm not at all bothered by a lack of diversity in Japanese games because of their culture, you draw what you see after all. I was however pleasantly surprised by how diverse the denizens of aloa were compared to past games. It really felt like they were trying this time around. I feel hairstyles is a complaint that will be addressed as things continue to improve. However, western games have no such excuse in this matter.

Being Japanese is no excuse really though. They pull from cultures other than their own all the time. Look at Castlevania, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Shin Megami Tensei, etc.

I was mad disappointed when I looked up the hairstyles in Sun & Moon and the only black hairstyle they had was cornrows. And why was that shit spoilered? I thought that was a spoiler for the game.

RRockman

Banned
The character creator problem is always an issue, if you somehow manage to find your skin colour, hair-style isn't representative at all. The latest Fire Emblem games are notorious for the character creator issue, especially as in Awakening
Your father is black, but there's no dark skin tone options

This bothered at the time too. I didnt even bother trying to customize him and just played Robin as how he appeared in smash 4.

Kwame120

Banned
Being Japanese is no excuse really though. They pull from cultures other than their own all the time. Look at Castlevania, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Shin Megami Tensei, etc.

I was mad disappointed when I looked up the hairstyles in Sun & Moon and the only black hairstyle they had was cornrows.
If I remember back to X & Y, it is getting better though. Certainly not good, but there's definitely improvement each gen. Hell, the fact that the first time they introduced customisation they had skin tone options is something.

Top Bottom