• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Oldman: "it’s not like I’m a fascist or a racist"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiggyCal

Banned
Gibson is an uber douche canoe, but Get The Gringo was really damn entertaining. Doesn't excuse any of the stupidity that has come from his mouth. I actively avoided watching anything with Gibson in it for years, but watxhed GtG out of curiousity.

As for Gary Oldman? I guess this would be the part where I post that stop.gif with the adorable little girl. Come on, Gary. Just...no.

Mel Gibson still makes great movies. I'm not going to stop liking Mad Max or Lethal Weapon because he's a racist lunatic. I just have less respect for him as a person.

Dash27

And I'll be goddamned if that's not one of the funniest jokes I have ever heard. The Opie and Anthony show, from which that clip is pulled from, is one of the best reasons why I can sort of agree with Gary Oldman and get aboard the anti political correct train. Political correctness is a bitch and its ruining a lot of very funny comedy. But then a lot of anti-political correct people also say really horrific things, like he did. "Who hasn't said fag or spick at one point or another"... that kind of thinking is also harmful, just in a different but more significant way.

That clip never fails at making me laugh. It's really about context, it just makes me happy when I hear Patrice laugh because it's so sincere. Just two guys laughing.

FiggyCal

Banned
That clip never fails at making me laugh. It's really about context, it just makes me happy when I hear Patrice laugh because it's so sincere. Just two guys laughing.

Patrice and Louie were fantastic together. Patrice had a great bit on Chinese people being assholes. Yes, it's kind of racist, but it's also really funny.

So being anti-semitic gets you blacklisted in Hollywood, but people who drug and rape children get standing ovations at the Oscars.

What Oldman said is fucking awful, but I wish Hollywood, the public and the press would be just as outranged over scum like Singer and Polanski.

He's on Kimmel right now apologizing.

Here's that apology.

edit:
I said some things that were poorly considered. And once I had seen it in print, I could see that it was offensive, insensitive, pernicious and ill-informed.

Words have meaning, and they carry weight and they carry on long after you've said them. And I don't condone or excuse the words that I used in any context. I basically shouldn't've used them in any context. But I did. And I have deeply injured and wounded a great many people.

From my heart, I am profoundly, profoundly sorry and deeply apologetic. Especially to the fans, cause they've been so incredible to me and loyal,... and I really feel that I let them down. ... I'm a public figure, I should be an example and an inspiration. And I'm an a-hole. I'm 56, and I should know better.

JDSN

Banned
I see we are at the phase of the argument in which people start bringing up bits from comedians that have already expressed regret at the way some people turn their jokes into arguments against "The PC mafia".

JDSN

Banned
Nick Cannon putting on whiteface and calling himself Tyler McSmallNut is okay though right guys?

Who are you talking about? Seriously, people pointing their fingers at Nick Canon and Polanski are just embarrasing themselves at this point and seem to be suspiciously invested in defending the words that were later took back.

lawful

Banned
Who are you talking about? Seriously, people pointing their fingers at Nick Canon and Polanski are just embarrasing themselves at this point and seem to be suspiciously invested in defending the words that were later took back.

I'm not defending anybody. I don't agree with racism. But you have to be honest that "racism" is only racism if you are white. Everything else gets laughed off or shrugged at or glossed over.

J10

Banned
Nick Cannon putting on whiteface and calling himself Tyler McSmallNut is okay though right guys?

Yeah, that's a really thoughtless callback to a dark era in American history where white people weren't allowed on TV or in film and were depicted as ignorant caricatures by all the black actors. Nick should know better.

It looks like a good chunk of the conversation has moved on to political correctness itself.

JDSN

Banned
I'm not defending anybody. I don't agree with racism. But you have to be honest that "racism" is only racism if you are white. Everything else gets laughed off or shrugged at or glossed over.

Look at the opinion in the thread that the topic to are trying to steer the discussion towards, most people agree its silly and offensive, theres also a couple of seanspeed-types like you annoyed at an nonexistent double standard that does its best to ignore the historic context of blackface vs whiteface. Please stop pretending like they are the same thing, its insulting.

besada

Banned
You're comparing a comedian, doing an intentionally transgressive comedic bit to a non comedian giving an interview. You've made a category error that makes you look foolish. People don't get upset over Nick Canon for the same reason they don't get upset at Louis C.K. -- because both of them are intentionally using the artistic medium of comedy to discuss race humorously.

People are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt if you're being funny.

Oh, I see someone else smacked you.

riotous

Banned

What+do+YOU+mean+you+people+_784e6c785ee3498307e78f5fb98f1a4b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom