• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't mean a majority those downloads would have been converted into sales. Of course there's potential, and it sounds what they're talking about, but there's now way to prove that.

Edit: It's all Europe's fault and they still get all the good stuff? Wtf Nintendo.
There's no way to prove it, but enabling piracy will never increase sales, only lose them. Not enabling piracy will not lose sales. I don't even know how jaded you must be to act like piracy doesn't hurt the publisher.

Also not sure why you think Europe is the only region where piracy is a problem just because the article is specifically referring to them.

Linkhero1

There's no way to prove it, but enabling piracy will never increase sales, only lose them. Not enabling piracy will not lose sales. I don't even know how jaded you must be to act like piracy doesn't hurt the publisher.

Also not sure why you think Europe is the only region where piracy is a problem just because the article is specifically referring to them.

I never said that publishers aren't hurt by piracy, but a lot of people here are claiming that software took a huge dip due to piracy and of course there's no way to prove that. There's definitely sales lose, but you cannot really measure what that loss really is. It's really annoying to see a bunch of claims made with no substantial proof.

The Europe thing was a joke. Don't take it to heart.

I never said that publishers aren't hurt by piracy, but a lot of people here are claiming that software took a huge dip due to piracy and of course there's no way to prove that. Of course there's sales lose, but you cannot really measure what that loss really is. It's really annoying to see a bunch of claims made with no substantial proof.

It works both ways though. People are brushing it off as a non-issue because they want an "all in one" 3DS cart. Which is fine for them, but a lot of people saying that will, at some point down the line, hock a free game or two. Like you say, there's very little statistics to prove any of this, it's common sense and anecdotes personal to ourselves more than anything else.

Still, I'd be happy enough if Nintendo shut this down. Region locking sucks yeah, but this has very little to do with region locking right now. It's concerned with booting a game file up, regardless of where you got it from.

So does it allow multiple backups on one SD card or not? I can't find a straight answer.
From the video you'd think you'd only be able to load a single game at a time, however, someone close to the team mentioned this: "And for those asking, it is 'early video' before the 'game manager' was finished in coding by the homebrew developers, reason for 3 microsd one for each rom."

Linkhero1

It works both ways though. People are brushing it off as a non-issue because they want an "all in one" 3DS cart. Which is fine for them, but a lot of people saying that will, at some point down the line, hock a free game or two. Like you say, there's very little statistics to prove any of this, it's common sense and anecdotes personal to ourselves more than anything else.

Still, I'd be happy enough if Nintendo shut this down. Region locking sucks yeah, but this has very little to do with region locking right now. It's concerned with booting a game file up, regardless of where you got it from.

I'm not brushing it off as a non-issue. It's definitely part of the problem. I'm just combating those opposite claims that seem to be appearing more frequent. :)

Lasdrub

I don't get why people are saying it's only good for piracy. I can put all of my carts onto my SD card. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Anteo

I don't get why people are saying it's only good for piracy. I can put all of my carts onto my SD card. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Gaffers are the minority. A lot of people will just pirate games. And it doesn't allow region locked games or homebrew.

jwhit28

I don't think it really matters what the actual affect is. Publishers will see it as a way to pirate games and it will affect decisions being made during the green light and localization stage.

I don't think it really matters what the actual affect is. Publishers will see it as a way to pirate games and it will affect decisions being made during the green light and localization stage.

Right, all those devs like EA will start shifting projects to mobile and stop developing for 3DS. I can already see SE commeting on how they're gonna start doing handheld alike projects for mobile. Only no piracy can save the 3DS from that destiny.

Oersted

I never said that publishers aren't hurt by piracy, but a lot of people here are claiming that software took a huge dip due to piracy and of course there's no way to prove that. There's definitely sales lose, but you cannot really measure what that loss really is. It's really annoying to see a bunch of claims made with no substantial proof.

There are many, many reports about piracy hurting sales. Many. All what you have to do is to say " you can´t really prove it". Its fascinating pointless to discuss with you on that basis.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe my comment was too generalized but this is clearly a different situation where the developer appeals to the consumer directly. I don't know how well the pay-what-you-want model has done for other publishers, but you can't expect that more pirates than who would've bought a game originally to go and spend $30-40 for a fixed-price retail copy to show support. Multiply this by dozens of games considering how easy it is to pirate on these devices and the chances of someone going out and dropping $300 is slim.

DonMigs85

Umm, you can do this already by buying games off the eShop.
I know not every single retail game is up yet, but still, it's not really a good excuse.

Lasdrub

Umm, you can do this already by buying games off the eShop.
I know not every single retail game is up yet, but still, it's not really a good excuse.

The games on eShop cost more and are locked to the system, so they aren't as valuable to me as cartridges. I wont ever buy games on the eShop. I'm confused by what you mean by excuse.

nampad

Haven't seen the video but from the answers in this thread it seems to be legit.

3DS security held up longer than I expected. Will be interesting to see how Nintendo can block this.

Linkhero1

There are many, many reports about piracy hurting sales. Many. All what you have to do is to say " you can´t really prove it". Its fascinating pointless to discuss with you on that basis.

I'm not discussing anything. I'm doing what many of those who say they're hurting sales are doing. Link me to those articles.

They don't prove anything.

Edit: Let's be real here. Do you really think sales took a major dip due to piracy? I'm not arguing that piracy hasn't hurt sales, but to say many of those pirates would have bought the game new is a joke. There's nothing to base it off.

M3d10n

I doubt the claims of "homebrew coders" having made a menu are true. If they do have a menu working, why bother posting an old video when they'll start shipping in two weeks? Everyone has a cellphone capable of recording video and they can't even show this magical menu of theirs?

According to the most sensible posts on GBAtemp, you can rest easy. The 3DS is much smarter than the DS was and should be able to check the actual hardware of the flashcart to block it. Meaning you could only use this for cloning previous carts on individual SD cards, and wouldn't be able to ever update again.

The claims that the video comes from an earlier version that didn't have the game switching interface makes no sense to me. If it was the case, they could create a new video in 3 minutes and triple their sales instantly.

fatty

That's what I would do, too. That is how I play all of my DS games now. But...I would rather have waited a few years for this to come out so as not to affect sales of 3DS games. As much as I love the convenience of something like this I don't like what it does for piracy.

omg_mjd

If this device ends up boosting 3DS sales (as flash carts did for the DS) I wonder if Nintendo will decide to delay blocking it for a few months to maximize their hardware profits and further expand their userbase.

Maybe some of those pirates will turn into legit customers after not being able to copy games anymore, who knows.

I doubt it.

DonMigs85

Excuse for....?

I've backed up all my digital PSP purchases too.

When you say "backed up" that doesn't mean downloading ISOs/CSOs off the internet right?
There's already an account system for the PSP after all. You can even use HDD space on the PS3 to back up.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It may be extreme but I'd say purchasing this for the sake of backing your games up still contributes to piracy.

The better this thing sells, the more work the guys behind it will put into it, which in the end, will benefit pirates.

DonMigs85

I'm not discussing anything. I'm doing what many of those who say they're hurting sales are doing. Link me to those articles.

Edit: Let's be real here. Do you really think sales took a major dip due to piracy? I'm not arguing that piracy hasn't hurt sales, but to say many of those pirates would have bought the game new is a joke. There's nothing to base it off.

You can't really prove or deny it either way. If piracy really wasn't an option at all I'm sure a lot of those pirates would suck it up and just buy the game. Not all of them, of course, but probably still a substantial number.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
When you say "backed up" that doesn't mean downloading ISOs/CSOs off the internet right?
There's already an account system for the PSP after all. You can even use HDD space on the PS3 to back up.
It means downloading from PSN, converting and removing the drm, and then not having to use a PS3 or Media Go on PC to mess with it ever again.

Linkhero1

You can't really prove or deny it either way. If piracy really wasn't an option at all I'm sure a lot of those pirates would suck it up and just buy the game. Not all of them, of course, but probably still a substantial number.

Of course my friend :)

I definitely agree with this.

I don't want piracy, I want a region-free system.

I wish. Don't think we'll be seeing region free systems anymore unfortunately.

Oersted

"Show me the evidence, I won´t accept it."

OzPinoy

Banned
Why can't Nintendo sign them to million dollar contract to not release these things. Hire them into their R&D department with a sole purpose of hacking their competitor hardware and secretly release them to the wild.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Why can't Nintendo sign them to million dollar contract to not release these things. Hire them into their R&D department with a sole purpose of hacking their competitor hardware and secretly release them to the wild.

I see you've thought this through.

vareon

If this doesn't solve region locking then it has no use. I don't want a convenience of "having all games on a single SD card woohoo!" at the risk of enabling piracy.

Also wouldn't this mess up with the activity log?

Salsa

Will be interesting to see how Nintendo can block this.

they won't be able to

what they need to do is make it so it is more fucking convenient to not have a flashcart than to have one

it's ridiculous. I really have little empathy for them when they dont realize that the solution to this kind of stuff has mostly been found a long time ago by the likes of Steam and such by having an account system and making it much more easier and convenient to buy the thing than to pirate it

hopefully this makes them wake the fuck up really

Linkhero1

they won't be able to

what they need to do is make it so it is more fucking convenient to not have a flashcart than to have one

it's ridiculous. I really have little empathy for them when they dont realize that the solution to this kind of stuff has mostly been found a long time ago by the likes of Steam and such by having an account system and making it much more easier and convenient to buy the thing than to pirate it

hopefully this makes them wake the fuck up really

I doubt it. Piracy on the previous systems didn't do this, so this won't either. I think it's better if fans were more vocal in regards to a steam like account.

Salsa

I doubt it. Piracy on the previous systems didn't do this, so this won't either. I think it's better if fans were more vocal in regards to a steam like account.

if they are even barely looking then they know people want it, and are even holding their purchases until they do it

DS piracy didnt "help" this because the system wasnt built in a way that could allow for accounts. The 3DS could manage it with a simple firmware update and the miiverse changing friendcodes to Nintendo IDs, etc. All the 3DS games I have are already linked to my club nintendo account.

they are 1 minuscule step from implementing this and they cant for the life of them see the benefits it seems. Hopefully SOMEONE realizes that if piracy goes rampant then that'd be the way to go to prevent it

Linkhero1

if they are even barely looking then they know people want it, and are even holding their purchases until they do it

DS piracy didnt "help" this because the system wasnt built in a way that could allow for accounts. The 3DS could manage it with a simple firmware update.

Good point. Then again, it is Nintendo :p

They'll probably spend more time trying to patch this than work on a account system. I'm hoping I'm wrong and they surprise us this E3.

Top Bottom