• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay Honor student cant wear tux to prom. "Girls wear dresses and boys wear tuxes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrar

My question is: what will change in your life if a girl wears a tuxedo in her prom?

How is that going to affect you? Why even bother?

On the other hand, what will change in her life if she wears a dress that one time?

spekkeh

Banned
Well it's a dress code. Being forcibly told what to wear and there being no exceptions allowed is kind of what a dress code is all about. She's about as discriminated against as people wanting to show up in jeans, or a tutu.

Opiate

Because it provides for a nice continuity

Changing the rules also counts as "continuity." Continuity does not mean that nothing changes; it just means things continue along. Can you try to explain this in more detail?

and there is no real reason to change it.

Yes, there is. The girl in question wants to wear a tux because it makes her happy. In order to deny her that happiness, we would want a logical reason to deny her. I will ask again what reason we have to deny her this.

Alienous

Lol

Asking what you base your argument on is a twisted view of the issue? "Because its tradition" has never been an excuse to sanction discrimination. Good grief. Please try harder.

Girls wearing tuxedos isnt going to harm anyone. Nothing will happen as a consequence of girl wearing a tuxedo or a boy wearing a dress. This is an arbitrary "rule" based on outdated gender typing. Women wear suits to work. My sister and mom both wore pant suits to my brothers wedding. The fabric of society remains intact.

But .. nothing would have if everyone wore their underwear, or cosplayed as Batman, but that wouldn't make those choices of attire inherently appropriate for the event.

It's a fairly antiquated dress-code, but a dress-code nonetheless, even if generally unspoken. Women will wear suits to work, there are men who will wear overalls to work (and I'm not sure which professions would have men wearing tuxedo's to work), but that's tangential to the dress code for their event.

It's discriminatory, but it doesn't seem to be based of sexual orientation or gender. Men don't have to option of wearing a dress, for instance, and perhaps there are men who are uncomfortable wearing a tuxedo. It's just "We have a dress code, abide by it or don't come".

Razmos

Well that's what you do when you face discrimination of any kind guys, you roll over and accept it so you don't cause any trouble.

bro1

Banned
So....what does this have to do with her being gay?

Doesn't sound like they are discriminating against her because of her sexual orientation, they just want to maintain a dress code for their event.

Sounds like a sensationalist article to me.
I agree. People need to get a grip and let schools enforce their dress codes. There are dress codes for many things in life and not everything has to be about a person "expressing" themselves.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I agree. People need to get a grip and let schools enforce their dress codes. There are dress codes for many things in life and not everything has to be about a person "expressing" themselves.
Exactly, I'm gay and see no problem about this whatsoever.

Jintor

Dress code is 'formal' or 'semi-formal' or 'don't wear shorts and jeans please'

Dress code is not "girls can't wear suits" because that's dumb as shit

But .. nothing would have if everyone wore their underwear, or cosplayed as Batman, but that wouldn't make those choices of attire inherently appropriate for the event.

It's a fairly antiquated dress-code, but a dress-code nonetheless, even if generally unspoken. Women will wear suits to work, there are men who will wear overalls to work (and I'm not sure which professions would have men wearing tuxedo's to work), but that's tangential to the dress code for their event.

It's discriminatory, but it doesn't seem to be based of sexual orientation or gender. Men don't have to option of wearing a dress, for instance, and perhaps there are men who are uncomfortable wearing a tuxedo. It's just "We have a dress code, abide by it or don't come".

Formal attire is appropriate for a prom. Shes asking to wear formal attire, just not the kind thats traditionally been assigned to her gender.

Opiate

Well it's a dress code. Being forcibly told what to wear and there being no exceptions allowed is kind of what a dress code is all about. She's about as discriminated against as people wanting to show up in jeans, or a tutu.

This is the best argument I've seen put forth yet, but even here I'm quite skeptical. I think we can recognize a difference between forcing people to wear formal wear (e.g. no jeans and tutu) and forcing people to wear particular formal wear we have designated for their gender. She isn't asking to wear men's scrubs, she's asking to wear men's formal wear. This rule is implicitly insisting on two separate functions; the first is to make sure everyone dresses nice (i.e. no jeans), the second is to make sure everyone wears gender appropriate clothing (i.e. no tuxes for women). I think you'd see far more sympathy for the former part of this rule than the latter.

bro1

Banned
Changing the rules also counts as "continuity." Continuity does not mean that nothing changes; it just means things continue along. Can you try to explain this in more detail?

Yes, there is. The girl in question wants to wear a tux because it makes her happy. In order to deny her that happiness, we would want a logical reason to deny her. I will ask again what reason we have to deny her this.
Not everything is about an individual's happiness. I want to wear jeans to work but we have a dress code that forbids it. I don't want to wear a tie today but it's Easter and we are going to a fancy brunch.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Yep. If this was about the school not allowing her to dance with another female student, I'd support her. But this is not about gay rights, this is about a dress code. Every single student who wants to go to the prom has to dress up and I bet for most of them (if not all) it will be the first time they wear a tux or a fancy dress. Go with the flow. You're not that special.

Razmos

I'd like to wear T-Shirt and jeans and this dress code forbids me to do it. Should I go there anyway wearing stuff like that? Dress code is dress code.
The dress code is "formal", a tuxedo is formal, no matter who wears it. If she was going in T-shirt and jeans you might actually have a point, but you don't.

That's life. Part of success is a persons ability to adapt and fit into their surroundings. Not everything has to be "look at me!"
So wanting to dress in a way that makes them more comfortable is just trying to get attention? right.

Opiate

Not everything is about an individual's happiness. I want to wear jeans to work but we have a dress code that forbids it. I don't want to wear a tie today but it's Easter and we are going to a fancy brunch.

I agree completely, it isn't always about an individual's happiness, if you can give good reason. Your company, for instance, has good reason to make sure everyone is clean and decent when they come in to work. It is completely possible for there to be a good reason why your happiness comes second to some larger goal or need.

.....but that larger goal or need has to exist. What is that larger goal or need in this case?

bro1

Banned
This is the best argument I've seen put forth yet, but even here I'm quite skeptical. I think we can recognize a difference between forcing people to wear formal wear (e.g. no jeans and tutu) and forcing people to wear particular formal wear we have designated for their gender. She isn't asking to wear men's scrubs, she's asking to wear men's formal wear. This rule is implicitly insisting on two separate functions; the first is to make sure everyone dresses nice (i.e. no jeans), the second is to make sure everyone wears gender appropriate clothing (i.e. no tuxes for women). I think you'd see far more sympathy for the former part of this rule than the latter.
Dress codes are usually gender specific. For example, women in my office can wear open toed shoes. Men cannot. Enforcing gender specific dress codes is not discriminatory.

Wasteman

Banned
The only issue I can see is if she gets to wear a suit then any boy can rock up in a dress as they would have to allow it otherwise he could say he's being discriminated against. I know a portion of my friends would turn up in dresses for the lolz if they could get away with it.

On the other hand it's dress code and I really don't see the issue with wearing a dress for one night. I'm not a big fancy dress person but if someone instigates a Disney theme I'll rock up as a Dalmation.

Henrar

The dress code is "formal", a tuxedo is formal, no matter who wears it. If she was going in T-shirt and jeans you might actually have a point, but you don't.

So wanting to dress in a way that makes them more comfortable is just trying to get attention? right.

So let's just say I want to wear a suit. I can't, because of the dress code. I still don't see anything discriminating here.

Siegcram

Gender-specific restrictions on wardrobe isn't a dress code, it's textbook discrimination.

"Tradition" isn't an excuse to be an asshole.

bro1

Banned

Comfort and success usually sit on opposite ends.

Also, is she gay or transgender? I get her desire to wear a tux if she wants to be a guy, but if she is gay why not a dress? Not that it matters either way in the sense of a dress code.

jerd

How is she breaking dress code though? The school board president says as far as he knows there isn't any rule dictating what people can wear.

Edit: You've already stated your opinion on this so I'll just use this post to say that Ellen Page looks amazing below

Corpekata

Banned
So let's just say I want to wear a suit. I can't, because of the dress code. I still don't see anything discriminating here.

Except you can. If you think every single male in a poorly performing Louisiana school is showing up in a tux, you're delusional.

Frodo

Guys: SHE IS FOLLOWING THE DRESS CODE BY WEARING A TUXEDO.

Stop saying it is a dress code, it is a rule she should follow it. She would be following it if she wore a tuxedo.

Here is Shiloh Jolie-Pitt formally dressed in a suit:

Screen-Shot-2014-12-16-at-9.57.30-AM.png

Here is Ellen Page and what she wore at the freaking Oscars:

1dea9d9864fbc2a18f463822303a9b72.jpg

Here is what THE HOST of the Oscars wore:

476230719.jpg

THEY ARE ALL FOLLOWING THE DRESS CODE.

TCRS

Banned

If a certain event or a norm hasn't been changed in ages, it's debatable if change is a part of that continuity. And as far as I know women have always worn a dress and men a tuxedo (or whatever formal attire of their time).

Because the happiness or discomfort of a single person is not more important than decades of tradition, it's not enough to trigger the change in the continuity. We don't always get to do things our way, sometimes we just have to adapt or submit to the rules.

Anyway I've stated my opinion, not much more to say.

bro1

Banned
Gender-specific restrictions on wardrobe isn't a dress code, it's textbook discrimination.

"Tradition" isn't an excuse to be an asshole.
No it's not discrimination. If she couldn't go because she is gay, then that would be discrimination. If they told a Muslim girl that she couldn't wear her scarf, that would be discrimination. This is just a dress code.

Izuna

Banned
Dress codes are usually gender specific. For example, women in my office can wear open toed shoes. Men cannot. Enforcing gender specific dress codes is not discriminatory.

This is not discriminatory because my office endorces the same rule.

Right?

Ryce

No it's not discrimination. If she couldn't go because she is gay, then that would be discrimination. If they told a Muslim girl that she couldn't wear her scarf, that would be discrimination. This is just a dress code.
A tux is in the dress code.

Siegcram

A "dress code" that was made up on the spot because of her. Thereby implicitly discriminating against her.

It's an arbitrary rule, pulled out of thin air to go against one openly gay person.

Opiate

That is absolutely discriminatory by any reasonable definition of the word.

Discrimination is the act of telling people they need to do X because they are part of Y class, with no further justification offered.

bro1

Banned
Guys: SHE IS FOLLOWING THE DRESS CODE BY WEARING A TUXEDO.

Stop saying it is a dress code, it is a rule she should follow it. She would be following it if she wore a tuxedo.

Here is Shiloh Jolie-Pitt formally dressed in a suit:

Screen-Shot-2014-12-16-at-9.57.30-AM.png

Here is Ellen Page and what she wore at the freaking Oscars:

1dea9d9864fbc2a18f463822303a9b72.jpg

Here is what THE HOST of the Oscars wore:

476230719.jpg

THEY ARE ALL FOLLOWING THE DRESS CODE.
Is there a dress code for the oscars that has gender rules?

Opiate

If a certain event or a norm hasn't been changed in ages, it's debatable if change is a part of that continuity. And as far as I know women have always worn a dress and men a tuxedo (or whatever formal attire of their time).

Yes, this is tradition. I am again asking you to explain why that is inherently worthwhile. "It's always been that way" is not a logically valid argument. This is known as the appeal to tradition and is a well known logical fallacy.

Because the happiness or discomfort of a single person is not more important than decades of tradition, it's not enough to trigger the change in the continuity. We don't always get to do things our way, sometimes we just have to adapt or submit to the rules.

Anyway I've stated my opinion, not much more to say.

I'm willing to listen to your opinion, but you need to provide a reason for it. As stated, "It's tradition" isn't valid; I'm just asking for you to state a reason why this particular tradition is worth continuing. I'm not against a tradition continuing, but traditions have to have a reason to exist; we have a tradition of not murdering each other in modern society, as this tradition has proven socially optimal for society as a whole, with less unhappiness and more productivity. There is a reason that this tradition exists. It can't just continue to exist just because.

Razmos

Sorry, are you a girl being told "You can't wear this" by someone who has no right to say so? What she wants to wear is within the dress code, she isn't breaking any rules.

Comfort and success usually sit on opposite ends.

Also, is she gay or transgender? I get her desire to wear a tux if she wants to be a guy, but if she is gay why not a dress? Not that it matters either way in the sense of a dress code.
Her being gay or transgender is nothing to do with it, despite what the article in the OP suggests (bringing up her being gay was completely unnecessary, honestly. The big issue here is sexism and gender stereotyping, not homophobia)

Izuna

Banned
Is there a dress code for the oscars that has gender rules?

So if it did, it couldn't be sexist because it is an official rule?

What is the difference from a house party enforcing the rule and a school?

The difference is, this girl will have ONE prom.

bro1

Banned
That is absolutely discriminatory by any reasonable definition of the word.

Discrimination is the act of telling people they need to do X because they are part of Y class, with no further justification offered.
Hardly.

Izuna

Banned

Hardly?

I don't understand. At most, you can say it is justified discrimination.

She will see guys wearing tux or, not required to wear a DRESS for the simple fact they are male instead of female, to the same event.

The school says it's simply a dress code, but Carroll High School senior Claudetteia Love said the prohibition is more about her sexual orientation than her fashion choices.

If a straight guy wanted to wear a dress to the prom I think there'd be the same issue so it's not about sexuality, it's about the dress code. Being a lesbian does not preclude a woman from wearing dresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom