• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

Indeed, SA-X is freakier than any other doppelgangers from the Metroid universe. Perhaps because the others were just 'monsters' trying to resemble you, whereas SA-X is a perfect mimic where the player's sense of 'something alien' is conveyed via more roundabout ways - musical themes, the occasional closeup of the pupil-less face seen through the visor, etc.

Man, it gets scary knowing if you screw up, SA-X will attack you on the spot. Plus... those footsteps.

Capndrake

The Y button or some other combination may bring up the language selection (you can do this on 3DS manuals, some even get localised screenshots even going as far as the Australian English eShop with prices in $). I'd have preferred it to be continuous though...
It is continuous, you can also bring up a list of all pages and all the different languages will be displayed below each other.

Robin64

Most of the Twitter replies about these releases are people wondering why they aren't on 3DS. I suppose it's a valid question if you aren't "in the know". (I know people that don't understand why they can't have something I have on my iPhone when they have an Android phone.)

Platy

Strange ... aparently every manual are PB on europe ... while it is colored in Japan

I wonder if the amount of languages has something to do with it

g1HJBta.jpg

7FuKUmf.jpg

S3hQqvZ.jpg

ZYSND27.jpg

Also, awesome menu for smoothing hehe

dmVAXeC.jpg

Robin64

Weren't our manuals black and white originally anyway?

Edit: Google Images says they were colour. Well that's odd then. I don't think being in colour makes all that much difference to a PDF file at all.

Towels

Banned
Does anybody mind explaining, how much screen exactly does 'full screen display' fill?

I'm afraid that I find myself irritated by the black borders at the top and bottom of Wii U VC. Does GBA full screen get rid of those borders?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does anybody mind explaining, how much screen exactly does 'full screen display' fill?

I'm afraid that I find myself irritated by the black borders at the top and bottom of Wii U VC. Does GBA full screen get rid of those borders?

Look at my Advance Wars screenshots further above. That's pretty much the borders you'll see on your TV.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Mother 3 a possibility now?

Hope so.

The Pokemon Company has been reluctant on putting anything on the VC since they want full options--trading and battling.

Unless they rework the ROM someone you won't be able to trade or battle via straight emulation.

Not to mention Game Freak would want it to be compatible with Gen 4, 5, 6 and Pokémon Bank.

Precisely. My money's on never seeing a mainline Pokemon game on VC.

We're there even any side games for GBA? I can't recall any...

Edit: I wanna say the first Mystery Dungeon...

There was also Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire, which I found to be boring.

Expect to see a load of these.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAABUaW826q1iA

So rolling my eyes right now.

Urgh that meme wasn't funny the first time and it isn't funny now.

Gotta say, if nothing else - kinda cool to have these games running on full resolution and with sound coming out the TV (Advance Wars had some nice choons!)

Davey Cakes

Nintendo please just Kickstart a Mother 3 localization, please. Thanks!

The current Fan Translation is amazing but obviously Nintendo can't or won't use it.

terrisus

Nintendo please just Kickstart a Mother 3 localization, please. Thanks!

The current Fan Translation is amazing but obviously Nintendo can't or won't use it.

Yeah, I already imported it for GBA the day it came out (nearly 8 years ago now. Time flies!), played through it multiple times in Japanese (using a translation guide at first, and eventually just from memory), and then many more times once the fan translation of it was done, but even still, of course, I would buy it Day 1 if it came out over here too.

It's not going to happen though =(

JoeM86

Weren't our manuals black and white originally anyway?

Edit: Google Images says they were colour. Well that's odd then. I don't think being in colour makes all that much difference to a PDF file at all.

Not all were, just like not all the GBA ones are Black & White. Metroid Fusion, for example, is colour. All depends on the initial release.

How is the sound? Still kinda muffled?

Actually, it sounds fine :)

RiggyRob

Got Advance Wars and Superstar Saga.

Advance Wars screenshots:

Edit: Btw., turning off your GamePad screen also works with GBA games.

In those screenshots, the smoothing doesn't look too bad. Must just be Mario Advance 2 that looks awful.

blu said:
Indeed, SA-X is freakier than any other doppelgangers from the Metroid universe. Perhaps because the others were just 'monsters' trying to resemble you, whereas SA-X is a perfect mimic where the player's sense of 'something alien' is conveyed via more roundabout ways - musical themes, the occasional closeup of the pupil-less face seen through the visor, etc.

The reason why the SA-X is the best doppelganger villain is because it's unstoppable until you get all of your powerups. It adds to the tense atmosphere and the sense of helplessness that you only usually get in horror games with no weapons when you know it's chasing you down and will murder you extremely easily. Compare that to Dark Samus who you fight and defeat several times across different games.

And then at the end of the game you find out there are 10 other SA-X on the station, so you might not have even been chased by the same SA-X each time you saw it!

I downloaded Mario & Luigi and it looks really good. For some reason the Miiverse screenshots make the game look much darker than it actually is.

ohlawd

Just bought Advance Wars. I've tried getting into this twice but kept losing interest. Third time, go go.

Metroid Fusion and Superstar Saga; same thing, just lost interest at some point. I have a problem. Dunno if I'll buy them.

Is it just me or does the music and everything actually sound clearer than on the original GBA hardware? Because if so then PRAISE THEM! PRAISE THEM ALL!!!

Davey Cakes

So the audio is good. The games aren't as dark as people thought. They come with manuals.

Seems like the lack of multilayer is the only drawback.

Kriken

So there's actually a date to look forward to. I've been cynical about the GBA on VC since they announced it last year, so I'll eat my words once I see a game on my eShop page

I am holding myself to this as I download Metroid Fusion, will get AW and Super Star Saga later

terrisus

So, despite the picture in post 711, the in-game manual is in color.

Also still contains the mentions of the GCN's GBA Player too.

I am holding myself to this as I download Metroid Fusion, will get AW and Super Star Saga later

Yeah, say what you will but man, they chose some awesome games to kick things off with. I owned all of those and played the hell out of them on my SP... Nostalgia...

Deepo

Bought SS and played a bit. I think it works great! Can't expect magic when blowing up a GBA game on a huge TV of course, but it looks great for what it is.

Best part is to not have to worry about 50/60hz on the GBA stuff. Yeah, I think I'll be buying more of these.

Pyrrhus

So were they able to introduce a low pass filter or something for the sound? Because if not, I can assure you that a 12 year old GBA game is going to sound like dogshit set on fire (you know, because it crackles and kind of stinks) coming out of a home theater.

Is it just me or does the music and everything actually sound clearer than on the original GBA hardware? Because if so then PRAISE THEM! PRAISE THEM ALL!!!

I need to know the answer to this question too.

Robin64

Fusion sounds better on my HTS with the headphone mode rather than the GBA mode for audio. Suppose it's expected, but worth trying.

ohlawd

what settings are you guys using?

I messed with all possible graphic options and I can't decide. Yeah, I have eyes. I'll go with the majority >_>

sonto340

This is good news. So the grayness isn't as bad as the were showing?

I'm playing advance wars, and I have NO IDEA how they managed to make all the screen and videos of the GBA vc look SO TERRIBLE
the colors are so bright and crisp.

It seriously feels like they had to do the dimming on purpose, because it's completely different.

In NA at least.

ohlawd

I'm playing advance wars, and I have NO IDEA how they managed to make all the screen and videos of the GBA vc look SO TERRIBLE
the colors are so bright and crisp.

It seriously feels like they had to do the dimming on purpose, because it's completely different.

In NA at least.
yup. the bright colors on my TV, lawd.

terrisus

what settings are you guys using?

I messed with all possible graphic options and I can't decide. Yeah, I have eyes. I'll go with the majority >_>

I'm using the gamepad, as I have for probably 99-100% of my single-player time playing WiiU games.

Top Bottom