• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

Robin64

No smoothness, Original resolution. Absolutely perfect. Really impressed with the emulator as a whole, too. Perfect frame rate and no tearing. (When your past experience with GBA on the TV was Wii homebrew, this is a breath of fresh air)

Platy

Miivrse comunities are up on America and ... confirmed : Europe got the bad end on the manuals =/

7hncAIm.jpg

znCYRCg.jpg

wylNGTH.jpg

3tbmTjj.jpg

ohlawd

I'm using the gamepad, as I have for probably 99-100% of my single-player time playing WiiU games.
I wanna use the GamePad too but AW looks too dark on it :(

edit: I have to tune up the brightness to 5 to compensate. Mah battery life! And I already have the high capacity battery, too!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Never played Advance Wars 1, couldn't even find the cart after a couple of years, so this is welcome news.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited for people playing these games for the first time. They're all amazing. I play several of them on my GBA on a regular basis still, especially Advance Wars, Yoshi's Island, and F-Zero.

Hugstable

Banned
These games aren't dim, at least to me. The colors seem fine on both my gamepad and my TV and don't look dim or dark at all. Bought all three games and the Mario and Luigi Title Screen seemed to have really good color. My brightness is turned up all the way on the gamepad though.

Lots of games I've never played. I might grab Metroid and Golden Sun when it comes out. I'm a little apprehensive though as to me $8 is kinda steep for GBA games at this phase of the game. But I'll support good games as much as I can within reason. I'll just have to be more selective.

Robin64

Fusion is really really bright. No sign of dimmage at all on this.

And yet a screenshot via the web browser?

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01skst1.jpg

That looks dimmer and more washed out than the same image I am seeing on both my GamePad and TV right now.

Yeah, Advance Wars is quite bright on my TV screen, and noticeably dimmer on my Gamepad, but nowhere near as bad as the official screenshots make it out to be. Time to go decimate Blue Moon.

terrisus

So Advance Wars is just like Fire Emblem but with tanks instead of horses, right?

And no experience points or any of that.

So, basically, Advance Wars is just like Fire Emblem, except that Advance Wars is a Turn-Based Strategy game, and Fire Emblem is a Turn-Based Strategy-Roleplaying Game

Robin64

And no experience points or any of that.

So, basically, Advance Wars is just like Fire Emblem, except that Advance Wars is a Turn-Based Strategy game, and Fire Emblem is a Turn-Based Strategy-Roleplaying Game

Makes sense. Cheers! Think I'll give it a go based on that. (To be honest, the roleplaying part of FE kinda dragged for me)

Makes sense. Cheers! Think I'll give it a go based on that. (To be honest, the roleplaying part of FE kinda dragged for me)

I'm almost surprised you haven't played advance wars before! It's a much nicer introduction to turn based battles, with a nice long tutorial course to help you learn the ropes regarding all the various units at hand. It also has a pretty awesome soundtrack (as GBA titles go) - story is a bit thin, but it's the happiest war simulator you'll ever play

terrisus

It's funny, because when I got it when it came out here, I felt that, while Advance Wars was a fun game, that it really needed some RPG elements to it.
Then we got Fire Emblem, and that pretty much met what I was looking for.

steveovig

Sin & Punishment only required the text to be changed, the voice acing was already in English.

Mother 3 is an RPG free of voice acting, so it'd take much more effort to localize it.

Still, it wouldn't take that much effort, if it sold like Earthbound has. It probably doesn't cost much for it to be translated. For all we know, they might even have a translation already in their archives or something. I believe Mother 1 has one.

Anyway, I can't decide which GBA game to get. Metroid Fusion isn't an option since I have it on the 3DS and just beat it last year. I used to love Advance Wars when it first released but I sucked at the Campaign mode. I can't remember, does it have difficulty settings?

On the other hand, I've never played a single Mario & Luigi game and they look very charming. The only problem is I'm already playing Tales of Xillia and Borderlands 2 and I don't want to throw in another longer game right now.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sin & Punishment only required the text to be changed, the voice acing was already in English.

Mother 3 is an RPG free of voice acting, so it'd take much more effort to localize it.

So did getting Earthbound release on the Virtual console and yet it happened. I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Err, Earthbound has been in English for nearly 20 years now. There was no extra work needing to be done for it.

I meant in terms of the copyright restriction that the Earthbound has which prevented it getting a Wii Virtual console release.

Somehow Nintendo managed to get around that without changing anything for the Wii U Virtual console release.

Robin64

I meant in terms of the copyright restriction that the Earthbound has which prevented it getting a Wii Virtual console release.

Somehow Nintendo managed to get around that without changing anything for the Wii U Virtual console release.

Nobody ever really got firm answers on what those restrictions were, mind. There was a lot of speculation and educated guess, but there was never anything concrete.

mstevens

I picked up all 3 today, even though I won't be able to play these for awhile. Just want to support the system and let nintendo know we want lots of good VC games.

Sakwoff

I'm almost surprised you haven't played advance wars before! It's a much nicer introduction to turn based battles, with a nice long tutorial course to help you learn the ropes regarding all the various units at hand. It also has a pretty awesome soundtrack (as GBA titles go) - story is a bit thin, but it's the happiest war simulator you'll ever play

They are also some of these "pure" games that are so rare. Every system fits, everything has its strategic purpose. No fat whatsoever.

Simple and transparent mechanics, yet extremely challenging later on. Perfect in its simplicity, basically. This is something that Fire Emblem does not quite have in the same way, even though they are great games in their own right.

The GBA AWs are some of the best turn-based tactics games since Battle Isle and Panzer General. Required playing.

terrisus

Still, it wouldn't take that much effort, if it sold like Earthbound has. It probably doesn't cost much for it to be translated. For all we know, they might even have a translation already in their archives or something. I believe Mother 1 has one.

Translations are a good amount of work (especially for text-heavy games like the Mother series), and cost a decent amount of money.

And, Mother 1 had a translation done because they did one as part of the process of planning to release it over here (which they were planning to do), but it was cancelled before release. There was no such process for Mother 3.

So did getting Earthbound release on the Virtual console and yet it happened. I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

There's a big difference between a game already released in the US in English, and one which has only ever been released in Japan in Japanese.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mario&Luigi looks really great on the gamepad! Looking forward to playing this and Advance Wars on it

Top Bottom