• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

Grief.exe

If I were to buy a GBA which is the best version to get?

Micro - Smallest, no GB/GBC support
SP 101 - Smaller, GB/GBC support, requires headphone adapter
Original GBA with backlit + glass screen mods - Best form factor, GB/GBC support

All versions have their positives and negatives and all can be considered the definitive way to experience GBA games.

Robin64

Man, Nightmare gave me a lot more trouble than he normally does. Felt good to take him down but dayum. That has to be a wall for a lot of people.

Man, Nightmare gave me a lot more trouble than he normally does. Felt good to take him down but dayum. That has to be a wall for a lot of people.

Nightmare is though, but rest of the game unfortunately is quite easy. Japanese version had an unlockable hard mode like Zero Mission, I really wished we could have that too.

Dantis

£6.29?

Good lord. Nintendo really have no idea when it comes to things like this. That is incredibly expensive for what it is.

StayDead

£6.29?

Good lord. Nintendo really have no idea when it comes to things like this. That is incredibly expensive for what it is.

When you look at the actual price of buying the game and the manual now, it's much higher than that.

People seem to have this weird idea that just because a game is older, no matter how good it is, it's suddenly worth no money anymore.

Robin64

£6.29?

I don't think it's incredibly expensive. It's a little more than the £5.49 or so that I expected, but it's still not bad for an entire game packaged in the best emulator I've seen for GBA, along with the entire scanned manual.

Edit: I still blame the 99p/Free generation of smartphone games for devaluing gaming in general.

When you look at the actual price of buying the game and the manual now, it's much higher than that.

People seem to have this weird idea that just because a game is older, no matter how good it is, it's suddenly worth no money anymore.

this

Advance Wars, Metroid and Superstar Saga are the cream of the crop and easily worth the price

goddamn phone gaming

edit: and what robin64 said above

£6.29?

Well, nes games are quite expensive given they are often more simple and with less content. Gba games are more meaty. I don't consider they are this much expensive.

I don´t even get why people act like 7-8 € is this outrageously offensive pricepoint for ...objectively fantastic games.

I mean...I´m struggling to think of a place where you can get games on the same quality level for significantly less aside from a Steam bomba sale or a humble bundle.

...let alone iOS, which is swallowed alive by free2pay scams and less than faithful "enhanced" ports ( Final Fantasy V and VI)

*shrugs*

danielcw

Micro - Smallest, no GB/GBC support
SP 101 - Smaller, GB/GBC support, requires headphone adapter
Original GBA with backlit + glass screen mods - Best form factor, GB/GBC support

All versions have their positives and negatives and all can be considered the definitive way to experience GBA games.

What would you say about playing gba games on a DS lite?

Yuterald

Ugh, I already own the carts (and original boxes) for a lot of these games, but I'm so tempted to double dip. I own a Gameboy Player too, but I may just want to get these to show the support so we get more, possibly less common releases. Hmm...I'll decide to pull the trigger tonight after work, I suppose...

Robin64

Ugh, I already own the carts (and original boxes) for a lot of these games, but I'm so tempted to double dip. I own a Gameboy Player too, but I may just want to get these to show the support so we get more, possibly less common releases. Hmm...I'll decide to pull the trigger tonight after work, I suppose...

I think the inclusion of the various screen options, customisable controls, save states and Miiverse sharing make these a good thing to double dip on. Not to mention they look superb on a HDTV now.

Sadist

Bought Super Star Saga, never played it (I always wanted to play the series, but I never did for some reason)

The others... I'll wait for other releases. Metroid Zero Mission or something else would be neat.

I don´t even get why people act like 7-8 € is this outrageously offensive pricepoint for ...objectively fantastic games.

I mean...I´m struggling to think of a place where you can get games on the same quality level for significantly less aside from a Steam bomba sale or a humble bundle.

...let alone iOS, which is swallowed alive by free2pay scams and less than faithful "enhanced" ports ( Final Fantasy V and VI)

*shrugs*

I don't mind people thinking it's too expensive. That's their opinion and I respect their right to it. What DOES annoy me however, is that pretty much nobody explains why. I mean, to think something expensive, you have to have a point of reference to compare it to right? If these people said something like, I think that they should be the same price as SNES VC games, fair enough. But nobody ever does. Without a reference point, I don't see how anyone can find anything too expensive or too cheap as they have nothing to compare it to.

rjc571

Banned
I don't mind people thinking it's too expensive. That's their opinion and I respect their right to it. What DOES annoy me however, is that pretty much nobody explains why. I mean, to think something expensive, you have to have a point of reference to compare it to right? If these people said something like, I think that they should be the same price as SNES VC games, fair enough. But nobody ever does. Without a reference point, I don't see how anyone can find anything too expensive or too cheap as they have nothing to compare it to.

They usually argue that it's a ripoff because (most) PSOne games on PSN are only $6. Which is a pretty ridiculous position to take when you consider how poorly most PSOne games have aged, compared to GBA games.

They usually argue that it's a ripoff because (most) PSOne games on PSN are only $6. Which is a pretty ridiculous position to take when you consider how poorly most PSOne games have aged, compared to GBA games.
Maybe graphically, but there are a lot of PS1 games that can be regarded as classics. And this is from someone who never bought the PS1 when it was released.

rjc571

Banned
Maybe graphically, but there are a lot of PS1 games that can be regarded as classics. And this is from someone who never bought the PS1 when it was released.

Generally speaking, 3D games on PSX tend to suffer from clunky controls, prohibitively low framerates, and graphical errors which can affect gameplay and detract significantly from the overall experience.

I agree that there are a lot of classic PS1 games (pretty much all of which were 2D), but the same can be said of GBA games, as well. Which is why it's stupid to decide how much a game should cost solely from the system that it first appeared on. (Referring both to consumers, and the companies selling the games.)

batbeg

Generally speaking, 3D games on PSX tend to suffer from clunky controls, prohibitively low framerates, and graphical errors which can affect gameplay and detract significantly from the overall experience.

I agree that there are a lot of classic PS1 games (pretty much all of which were 2D), but the same can be said of GBA games, as well. Which is why it's stupid to decide how much a game should cost solely from the system that it first appeared on. (Referring both to consumers, and the companies selling the games.)

Not that I disagree with your general sentiment but there are many classics with partial or full 3d. FF VII-IX, Metal Gear Solid, Ridge Racer, Vagrant Story, and many many more.

rjc571

Banned
Not that I disagree with your general sentiment but there are many classics with partial or full 3d. FF VII-IX, Metal Gear Solid, Ridge Racer, Vagrant Story, and many many more.

I bought Final Fantasy IX on my Vita but it runs so poorly in battle and on the overworld (15 fps) that I shelved it after a few hours. I feel that Golden Sun and Mario & Luigi are worth more money than the PSX FF games. (Which are $10 on PSN, BTW.)

Metal Gear Solid is extremely clunky and Twin Snakes makes it obsolete. If given the choice, I would rather play MGS Ghost Babel (a GBC game). I believe MGS is $10 on PSN, as well.

I enjoyed the hell out of Ridge Racer 4 when I was a kid but I'm afraid that the framerate would make it impossible for me to enjoy today.

I have Vagrant Story on PSN as well, and while the game's visuals have held up really well, I felt that the amount of effort needed to learn the game's systems and use that knowledge to play the game competently was too high for it to be enjoyable for me.

All of these examples go to show that having more advanced tech doesn't necessarily lead to an experience which is worthy of costing more $.

georly

So i started playing advance wars last night for the first time and took this picture.
zlCfzRu3uQ4lKlvz9H

What's wrong with her mouth?

It looks like she smeared lipstick everywhere. I can't tell what it's trying to depict.

Compared to normal (pic not taken by me)

advance_wars_4.png

RiggyRob

So i started playing advance wars last night for the first time and took this picture.
zlCfzRu3uQ4lKlvz9H

What's wrong with her mouth?

It looks like she smeared lipstick everywhere. I can't tell what it's trying to depict.

Compared to normal (pic not taken by me)

advance_wars_4.png

It looks like it's supposed to be an open mouth smile - what version are you using, EU or US?

It's certainly strange considering her hands aren't in your pic compared to the other one.

Edit: Also, which resolution and smoothing option are you using?

I was going to hold off on Advance Wars but I think I will cave at some point this weekend. Really liking what they did with Metroid so I want to support this.

Robin64

Having finished Metroid Fusion, I went and nabbed Superstar Saga. Doesn't look nearly as dark as the screenshots made it seem and looks way brighter on the GamePad than any GBA ever did.

Davey Cakes

Having finished Metroid Fusion, I went and nabbed Superstar Saga. Doesn't look nearly as dark as the screenshots made it seem and looks way brighter on the GamePad than any GBA ever did.
Yep. Looks like the screenshots were misleading. Nintendo pulled through.

maxcriden

Yep. Looks like the screenshots were misleading. Nintendo pulled through.

I'm a bit relieved to read this. The trailers for the games on the actual eShop are the same ones from online so it's really hard to tell what the game is going to look like on an actual TV, even watching those videos through your Wii U on your TV, esp. since they mostly feature GamePad footage.

Having never played Yoshi's Island (I know, for shame), how good is Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island compared to the original? Tempted to get it when it releases.

maxcriden

Having never played Yoshi's Island (I know, for shame), how good is Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island compared to the original? Tempted to get it when it releases.

I love it, personally. To me it's the superior version, as it has extra levels and I find the added voices to be very charming.

Enjoying Superstar Saga, never played a Mario RPG before, and its a good price to jump in at for that.

Looking forward to Yoshi too, just got new island recently so am interested to it as its obviously regarded as superior.

I'm a bit relieved to read this. The trailers for the games on the actual eShop are the same ones from online so it's really hard to tell what the game is going to look like on an actual TV, even watching those videos through your Wii U on your TV, esp. since they mostly feature GamePad footage.
I think the games look good on the Pad but I the big screen looks good too once you put it in pixel-perfect mode and turn smoothness on.

Davey Cakes

While it's an alright game, Mario RPG and the N64 and GCN Paper Mario games are far, far superior to it.
Mario RPG is wonderful but I don't think it's the best SMRPG game like I used to.

N64 Paper Mario sits on my Wii VC unfinished because of how much it bored me.

Unfortunately I never played Paper Mario: TTYD.

To be honest I think Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga could be the best SMRPG. The sequels were swell but they nailed the "bro" formula so well right from the start in SS. Great gameplay that made battles fun and interesting (especially players that got good at special attacks).

Maybe I just hold M&L:SS in high regard because it was the game that brought me back from a gaming hiatus several years ago. Played that sucker on the GB SP and it was such a great game to me that I actually felt like playing more games after.

terrisus

Mario RPG is wonderful but I don't think it's the best SMRPG game like I used to.

N64 Paper Mario sits on my Wii VC unfinished because of how much it bored me.

Unfortunately I never played Paper Mario: TTYD.

To be honest I think Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga could be the best SMRPG. The sequels were swell but they nailed the "bro" formula so well right from the start in SS. Great gameplay that made battles fun and interesting (especially players that got good at special attacks).

Maybe I just hold M&L:SS in high regard because it was the game that brought me back from a gaming hiatus several years ago. Played that sucker on the GB SP and it was such a great game to me that I actually felt like playing more games after.

Definitely try out The Thousand-Year Door. It's an amazing game.

I personally don't really care for the "bro" mechanic myself. Having to jump around and move them both separately but at the same time. Just found it really annoying.

I can only take 2 of the 3 and Golden Sun+ 1 more game.

Ughhh. Which of the two do I get. Is SSS as good as Bowser's Inside Story? I think I'm on lock to buy advance Wars so it's either Fusion or SSS.

And I liked the shit outta both Super Metroid and Bowser's Story so I'm having a hard time.

I can only take 2 of the 3 and Golden Sun+ 1 more game.

Ughhh. Which of the two do I get. Is SSS as good as Bowser's Inside Story? I think I'm on lock to buy advance Wars so it's either Fusion or SSS.

And I liked the shit outta both Super Metroid and Bowser's Story so I'm having a hard time.

SSS is excellent, as good as BiS if not better in my opinion.

But Metroid is great too. I'd say get Metroid for variety's sake. You're already getting an RPG with Golden Sun.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
As a big Yoshi's Island fan I prefer the GBA-version. It looks slightly worse and the sound is slightly hit, but still great. On the other hand it added six very fun new levels fitting the game very well and the Yoshi voices which I personally like. If you are a very presentation-oriented player and hate Yoshi's voice, then you might prefer the SNES version, but you will have a blast either way.

Top Bottom