• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GCU vs. Amazon Prime

Amazon Prime is a waste of money for me. I don't shop from them often enough to justify the cost or when I do I just use normal free shipping. Also their Prime movies selection overlaps a lot with what Hulu offers, making it valueless. GCU unlock is far superior. I spent $60 for 2 year membership and I already got the money worth half year in.

SeanTSC

.... Free release day shipping? I definitely did not get that when I pre-ordered Black Ops 3 with MY GCU! What do you have to do to make that happen?

Pre-order more than a week out and it's always been free. If you wait till the last minute then they charge for release day shipping.

Alucrid

Banned
I just got gcu and was all amazon before. Getting starcraft for 32 bucks felt good. Delivery in 2 to 3 days ain't bad. And the few games I pre ordered said free release day shipping so well see how it works out.

GCU is the better choice without a doubt. 20% off all games for $30 (for 2 years) is a steal, it's almost criminal. You also get double reward points on all games and consoles which means you could be racking up multiple $5 certificates all throughout the year. I've made $60 in reward certificates and I've only had GCU for a year and a month. The program is incredible and I don't know why I didn't join it sooner.

zelas

I have Prime and GCU. Never seen a reason to buy games on Amazon. Only thing I guess I could fault Best Buy with is the lack of titles eligible for even deeper discounts this black friday.

kahi

This a real question?

Amazon Prime:
2 day shipping
Free release day shipping
Amazon Prime Music
Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime Kindle Lending Library
Unlimited storage for photos
Amazon Elements
Amazon Prime Pantry
They are now discounting a lot of pre-orders for Prime Members (hit and miss on what games)

Gamerclub Unlocked:
20% off new games
$10 bonus credit on certain pre-orders
Not sure online benefit as I just do in-store pickup since there's a Best Buy on my way home from work.

Basically they both have their place and are 100% different services. If you are only paying for Prime for 2-day free shipping and only order videogames, then you are doing it wrong :)

Deku Tree

Simple.

Buy GCU in store. (Yes you can, call your store ahead if you want to check. I bought online and they ship the card to your house, and then you have to go to the store to activate it. Yes I called them and they refused to activate it over the phone.)

Use your Amazon credit on things other than video games.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
GCU >>>>> Amazon Prime for video game deals. It's been like this for a good while now. Everyone should make the transition.

jacobeid

Banned
.... Free release day shipping? I definitely did not get that when I pre-ordered Black Ops 3 with MY GCU! What do you have to do to make that happen?

Try ordering online. I just tried it with The Division and Rainbow Six as examples, and after you add it to your cart you're given the option for in-store pickup or free release date shipping. They ship via UPS.

t26

Preordered Tales of Zesteria and MGSV from Best Buy and got them on release date. Haven't got a new release from amazon in a long time.

Arttemis

I have both, but I don't think of Amazon for gaming at all. Prime is for general purpose purchases and Netflix-esque streaming.

GECK

GCU >>>>> Amazon Prime for video game deals. It's been like this for a good while now. Everyone should make the transition.

Amazon Prime > GCU everything else.

I've saved so much money from prime it's not even funny on top of all the other media features it's added over the years.

Buy GCU in store. (Yes you can, call your store ahead if you want to check. I bought online and they ship the card to your house, and then you have to go to the store to activate it. Yes I called them and they refused to activate it over the phone.)

Just a scam to get you inside the store.

kewlmyc

Best Buy GCU is godlike. Have subscription all the way to 2020. Don't buy games anywhere else now, especially with Best Buy getting a bunch of collector editions as well.

Hurry up and put up the Odin Sphere CE already.

Azzurri

I have both, but I use Amazone for my business. But now for games it's better to with GCU because Amazon charges tax in my state, so it ends up being cheaper and I earn points. But I do use both.

Josh378

If we're talking about everything, Amazon Prime blows it away by a lot. But if you're talking about the Best Buy gamer rewards club versus Amazon 4 games. Then yes, best Buy has the way better deal.

OneUh8

I have both and get more than my monies worth from both. Pretty much get all gaming stuff from Best Buy, and use Prime for lots of other things. Just ordered a new convertible car seat from Amazon the other day ;) lol.

jbug617

Banned
The only time I really had anything go wrong with Best Buy shipping is when Nintendo would release a game on Sunday.

Do you only use Amazon for video games? (EDIT: No, you don't.) If so, then GCU is the better deal. But if you use Amazon regularly, then Prime is the better deal overall, since it can be used for mostly everything on Amazon. Plus you get Prime Instant Video and Music if you care for that.

Personally, I have both, but only because of that insane deal last year for GCU and the student discount for Prime.

Deku Tree

I really wish you can register online instead of going to a Best Buy store :(

The whole point of the program is to try to create foot traffic in BB stores, because they think you will buy other things while you are in the store. It's a loss leader.
Yeah I wish you can register online too.

Never really gave GCU much thought before simply because I'm not a huge BB fan to begin with and my Prime membership is leveraged for work and non-gaming items on a weekly basis (not to mention streaming), so I'd never give that up. But this thread has certainly opened my eyes to the benefits of GCU and $30 for a two year sub is nothing at all. My video game-buying for the rest of 2015 is all sewn-up via Prime as it's only really JC3 left for retail purchases, but I'll likely get GCU and use it for my 2016 buys since it's going to be another banner year for my wallet (Witness, DeusEx, UC4, DS3, Mirror's Edge, etc...).

Yeah, stuff like this would normally be a dealbreaker for me too. Fortunately I've got a BB that the bus I take to work passes by every day, so it's not a hassle. I'm still surprised BB makes you come to their store though.

Gnilres

I'm using both right now because I have an Amazon Prime Student subscription but that might change once I have to pay full price for it.

Anyone know if you can stack GCU? I have it until early 2017 but wanna delay that expiration.

hwy_61

Banned
I have always been a really loyal long-term Amazon Prime member. I love Amazon Prime. I use it for more than just games. But recently this Best Buy GCU thing has become sort of necessary-- the deals are absolutely ridiculous. If you buy like four games you pay for the subscription itself and obviously I buy more than 4 games.

The one thing holding me up is that I have a ton of Amazon credit since I have been asking for Amazon credit for the past 900 years because that's where I do all my shopping. Like $300+. Should I just spend that credit and then move over to GCU? Do they have fast free shipping (2 day equivalent) like Prime?

I use Prime for a LOT though, more than just games. I guess I'd have to keep both.

Amazon's not even really trying these days and best buy is going kamikaze so I feel like I have to get it.

Do you get anything out of Amazon video? Their original content is superb. That new nazi show looks awesome.

Anyway, I have both, and I use both pretty regularly. Lately, Amazon has had free one day shipping on some stuff I've noticed.

Keep both.

boltz

This a real question?

Amazon Prime:
2 day shipping
Free release day shipping
Amazon Prime Music
Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime Kindle Lending Library
Unlimited storage for photos
Amazon Elements
Amazon Prime Pantry
They are now discounting a lot of pre-orders for Prime Members (hit and miss on what games)

Gamerclub Unlocked:
20% off new games
$10 bonus credit on certain pre-orders
Not sure online benefit as I just do in-store pickup since there's a Best Buy on my way home from work.

Basically they both have their place and are 100% different services. If you are only paying for Prime for 2-day free shipping and only order videogames, then you are doing it wrong :)

Yup, OP, if you don't care about the other things on that list, then Amazon Prime is not for you (unless you just care about really fast shipping).

Gumbie

As long as you preorder like a week in advance it will get there release day

This isn't always true. I think it depends on where you live and what warehouse it's shipping out of. Certain games are release day for me but others like Until Dawn took 3-4 days after release to get here.

I'm using both right now because I have an Amazon Prime Student subscription but that might change once I have to pay full price for it.

Anyone know if you can stack GCU? I have it until early 2017 but wanna delay that expiration.

Yep, when they originally had the phone deal thing I bought 4 years and now I'm good until 2018.

zigg

What was funny about my buying GCU online experience was that they gave me the 20% on the same order, then the cards themselves were backordered so they sent me a coupon code for another 20% that I could use for another online order, and after I used that they sent me one more that I'm still sitting on. I haven't activated the GCU card yet, either (I don't have a really close store), so I'm effectively stretching out the end date of my membership provided I deal with it before the card expires.

oni_saru

Okay this thread has convinced me to get GCU.

Question, will the black friday deals for BB be available online also? One of the reasons i mostly shop at Amazon is because they usually pm the deals and i don't have to go and get trampled at the stores. I highly doubt Amazon will pm the GCU prices.

Video games, I'm all GCU. Just preordered JC3 for $30 after discount and $20 in reward certs from Halo 5 and LotV. I have a store right on my drive home from work so I usually pick up as well.

That said, I'm still a Prime member for all the other shit I buy on Amazon. Big electronics (or anything over $100)? Sorry BB, but I'm not paying tax.

How did you get jc3 down to $30. I just got gcu so I'm still learning all the deals.

Question, will the black friday deals for BB be available online also? One of the reasons i mostly shop at Amazon is because they usually pm the deals and i don't have to go and get trampled at the stores. I highly doubt Amazon will pm the GCU prices.

Yep everything is available online and I don't remember anything video game wise ever selling out on BF.

Terranwolf

Neo Member
I have always been a really loyal long-term Amazon Prime member. I love Amazon Prime. I use it for more than just games. But recently this Best Buy GCU thing has become sort of necessary-- the deals are absolutely ridiculous. If you buy like four games you pay for the subscription itself and obviously I buy more than 4 games.

The one thing holding me up is that I have a ton of Amazon credit since I have been asking for Amazon credit for the past 900 years because that's where I do all my shopping. Like $300+. Should I just spend that credit and then move over to GCU? Do they have fast free shipping (2 day equivalent) like Prime?

I use Prime for a LOT though, more than just games. I guess I'd have to keep both.

Amazon's not even really trying these days and best buy is going kamikaze so I feel like I have to get it.
IMHO, I am dropping Prime. Sure the 2 day shipping is nice, but it's not as exciting as it used to be for me, especially after the price hike and how I really don't care about the other services (movies, music, etc); they're all relatively weak compared to competitors. Since I get taxed as of this year (Illinois), i pretty much stopped using it. As of right now, GCU is a steal for me since the discount and occasional gift certificate cancel out the tax costs.

Until Prime does something to offer an "Computers/Electronics/Video Games only" service -- or even something that cuts out everything else they provide, even if it's against what they're trying to do -- paying $200 vs paying $30, over two years? I'll take the latter.

I'll just put it this way: People get really excited when a retailer like Target is holding a B2G1 sale on games even though there are cases where some games are reset to their original MSRP after being discounted for some time. But waiting for a game to drop to $50 so you can buy it for $40 w/ GCU is already matching any B2G1 sale otherwise, and you're not forced into buying 3 games. Now, when BB has it's own B2G1 sale? Huge savings.

For a 2 year membership, you need to spend a minimum $75 a year to break even. I would hardly call that a risk for even the most conservative buyer. You can continue to shop for games at other places where it makes sense and still come out on top.

Edit: GCU works on toys-to-life as well, which is icing on the cake if you're into that. :)

I'd go today if you want GCU sales online. In-store GCU activates immediately, but online it takes a few days. And yes the sales do go online on Thursday (tomorrow night if an Elite Member).

A little of both actually. For online orders BB with do an initial authorization which goes away after 4-5 days then the actual charge when they ship. I've heard stories of peoples' cards being randomly reauthorized during the preorder window...hasn't happened to me but then again I use a BB credit card so who knows.

Anyone looking to get in on GCU NEEDS to get a rewards credit card too. The rewards points are absolutely insane, plus it counts your spend on the card at other places as Best Buy spend towards Elite/Elite Plus status, which means more rewards and early access to deals and stuff. Right now I usually get $5 in rewards points back from paying $48 GCU for a $60 game, plus a bunch of games get an additional $10 back.

On games I get:
Base points (1.0)
GCU points (1.0)
Elite bonus (0.1)
Visa bonus (1.5)
BB Credit Card bonus (1.5)
for a total of 5.6 times the normal rewards points I'd get with just a rewards account, and 3.1 times the base more than if I just had rewards+GCU. Next year it will be even more since I'm going to hit Elite Plus and get 25% back instead of 10%.

Damn

ClearData

I'd buy an NX, an extra controller, maybe a game to drain those Amazon reserves and switch over to GCU. It's literally the best deal I can find for console gaming. If you are all digital it isn't as useful but outside of Steam and PC sales this is the best deal on console gaming.

I can nab every new title for $51 (after taxes) keep what I like or trade the game back in. Stack that with reward certificates and the gravy just keeps on flowing.

The only problem with GCU is it might be too good. I'm being serious. I've bought maybe three or four extra games that I probably would have held back on without it.

noquarter

I have Prime and picked up GCU when I bought MKX since they were running a deal for a $15 gift card when you buy both and an glad I did.

I had stopped getting any games on release day, but with the 20% off and a $10 preorder bonus have started to buy release day games again. Getting games for just about $37 after discount and with the bonus makes it pretty good. Plus you get 20% off sale and clearance games.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
GCU is a no-brainer, such amazing deals. And remember, it applies to all new games, even ones on sale, Black Friday, etc.

The Reward Certificates are just icing on the cake, too.

Also, if I'm unsure about how a game will turn out and want to wait for reviews, you can pre-order a game online the night before release for in-store pickup and still get the Reward Certificate (and pre-order bonuses) when you pick it up the next day.

Since you use prime for other things besides games,keep it? And gcu is only 30 dollars for 2 years. Sounds like a question you already know the answer to TC. and yes gcu for games is vastly better than ptime imo.

vypek

The whole point of the program is to try to create foot traffic in BB stores, because they think you will buy other things while you are in the store. It's a loss leader.
Yeah I wish you can register online too.

Aw, well that is annoying. My Best Buy is in an incredibly inconvenient location for me. I will probably still go for it though. I only go to the store once a year, two times at the most.

fernoca

GCU is great in the continental US, sucks for us in PR were Beat Buy ignores many offers from the US stores and the site doesn't ship neither allows store pickup, and in some cases games are not there day one, but day 2...or 3.

Then again, Amazon is a bit disappointing too since free shipping is standard shipping, which is great. But not 2-day shipping which they advertise.

But on both, one ends paying the same for less service.

So, I just end buying from them all, and Gamestop...TRU...etc. :p

The Ummah

Banned
I jumped on GCU in August, and I have been more than satisfied so far. I've used about $50 in pre-order credits and rewards for purchases, and just got credited $15 for my Black Ops order. Ended up paying $32 for that.

I can never pay full price for a title again. Well worth the asking price for the savings you will receive over the two year period.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
GCU is the way to go. Only 30 dollars for two years. And you get reward credit or whatever it's called. I just pre ordered Uncharted 4 special Editions which is 80 dollars and with the discount and 20 dollar reward credit I had, I ended up only paying like 44 dollars for it.

LQX

I have prime but it was from when it use to be stellar. Now I hardly even get my packages on time and I don't think I would miss having it has Amazon is no longer my go to online store.

GCU to me is different as it is a hard discount on games even when they are on sale or part of some promo, plus big games get an additional $10 pre-order bonus. Prime does not really discount games and just provides free shipping. Moreover GCU is $30 for two years.

I've only bought 2 new released in over a decade. And I find older titles for cheaper on Amazon than Best Buy. So Amazon is my clear choice. If I cared about having new releases then I'd probably go GCU.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I jumped on GCU in August, and I have been more than satisfied so far. I've used about $50 in pre-order credits and rewards for purchases, and just got credited $15 for my Black Ops order. Ended up paying $32 for that.

I can never pay full price for a title again. Well worth the asking price for the savings you will receive over the two year period.
When do you get the pre order credit ? When the game releases ? Because I haven't seen any pre order credit for my Uncharted 4 Special Editon yet.

Top Bottom