• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GCW Zero - new retrogaming open source handheld!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oh cool, they're going to correct our misinformation.

Too bad they don't know yet that accounts get approved manually instead of automatically, and that getting your account approved here can take like 3-6 months, and for some people even years :)

Burai

shitonmychest57
It looks a great project, but that name is just awful. I keep forgetting what it's called which is going to make following its progress really difficult.

Vitacat

Over $16,000 now!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gcw/gcw-zero-open-source-gaming-handheld

Please, if you have the ability to post news on tech or gaming blogs, let your readers know about this device.

c587bfdb5183740ee7d23c991e931887_large.png

320x240 is the native resolution of the vast majority of games of the systems it's targeted to emulate, even N64 and PSX.

Personally, I would have preferred a wider display with a vertical resolution of 480 for perfect 3x scaling of GBA (240x160) games and perfect 2x scaling of 320x240 games, but I understand that the 4:3 systems take precedence.

I think there's a few PSX with higher resolutions and with those specs I highly doubt they can even emulate properly PSX even less N64.

Vitacat

I think there's a few PSX with higher resolutions and with those specs I highly doubt they can even emulate properly PSX even less N64.

That remains to be seen. However, almost all 16bit and 8bit consoles and arcade hardware are running great already, and that accounts for the vast bulk of retrogaming goodness for many people. I don't think any similar device has ever launched with such a good roundup of emulators already set to go.

As for N64 and PSX, I think both are highly possible to some degree, especially PSX. It's all a matter of optimizing the code for the SOC.

Regarding screen resolution, the vast majority of retro games fit perfectly into 320x240 (including most N64 & PSX), and the less up-scaling needed, the more CPU/GPU time available for emulating and rendering.

Vitacat

It looks a great project, but that name is just awful. I keep forgetting what it's called which is going to make following its progress really difficult.

It's not the greatest name perhaps, but GCW Zero isn't any more complicated than Nintendo 3DS. GCW is the company, Zero the model name.

Vitacat

what makes this better then a homebrew PSP or Vita?

Very good question. I happen to own both a fully modded PSP and homebrew capable Vita... Here's my answer FWIW:

It's more powerful than a PSP, and no modding required. It has a 4:3 screen and a more retro-compatible resolution. MOST IMPORTANTLY -- it has an active community of developers, something that dried up on PSP long ago.

As for Vita -- the Vita cannot be truly modded. You can only use the PSP side of things, and it's slower and less capable than a real PSP for emulation. Most importantly, you have to play the constant cat and mouse game with Sony firmware updates and hacks if you want to use homebrew and also play Vita and PSN games.

Basically the GCW Zero is specifically designed for emus and homebrew. No fuss, no hacking, modding or cat and mouse with firmware updates from Sony. This makes it a much more stable platform for users and developers alike.

And last but not least -- it has AV and HDMI output. So it can be used a console as well. Vita cannot do that at all, no matter how much it's hacked. And PSP's have very limited TV-out at best.

Right now im playing Tony Hawk 3 for PSX on my PSP and the only reason I miss the second stick is to look around the map, something that isnt really super important.

About portable friendly though.... havent really had a problem with that with any game, the PSP sleep function is awesome.

Video doesnt show any SNES games running, if they ALL actually run 100% full speed without sound issues I might be interested. Thought not sure if worth the $135 pledge.

I your view is narrow, I have a PSP and a Vita if you want to play PSX games on those go right ahead. But many other emulators are far from 100% on the PSP. I was hoping with the hacking of the vita (or 3DS but that probably wont happen soon) we could see somethings running at fullspeed.

But this is bigger than just another portable console, its being supported by fans and there are videos of it playing SNES games, hell even star fox is running on this thing! Not that its an amazing game, but most emulators can't handle starfox (PSP/Android etc)

If your tight on cash then I feel you, but it was easily worth the 180 I pledged for the device. Might have to start learning more about Linux, I am really interested in these new ideas. I also supported OUYA but I am more excited about this.

Vitacat

I your view is narrow, I have a PSP and a Vita if you want to play PSX games on those go right ahead. But many other emulators are far from 100% on the PSP. I was hoping with the hacking of the vita (or 3DS but that probably wont happen soon) we could see somethings running at fullspeed.

But this is bigger than just another portable console, its being supported by fans and there are videos of it playing SNES games, hell even star fox is running on this thing! Not that its an amazing game, but most emulators can't handle starfox (PSP/Android etc)

If your tight on cash then I feel you, but it was easily worth the 180 I pledged for the device. Might have to start learning more about Linux, I am really interested in these new ideas. I also supported OUYA but I am more excited about this.

+1 bro

Vitacat

My interest is always piqued by devices like this. Never have bought one, though. My gaming habits don't really match up to them these days. When I do play emulated games, it's GGPO or something. When I want to dig through old arcade games, I prefer to play the real deal at Galloping Ghost or some place like that.

I hear you. I think all us retro fans love going to actual arcades whenever we can, however there's something really fun about having these games in your pocket as well. :)

Also, remember this isn't just emulating arcade games. It also emulates tons of consoles and computers; SNES, NES, Gameboy, GBA, Genesis/MD, TG-16, NeoGeo, NGPC, Commodore 64, Atari etc. etc. Imagine having all those systems (plus tons of arcades too) in YOUR POCKET! And on a device that can play them without sound lag (like Android has) and can also output to TV. Pretty cool IMO.

Mononoke

Banned
Personally, I think this looks like the best emulator handheld to date. I agree there is too much saturation of these devices, but I really hope this one succeeds.

My interest is always piqued by devices like this. Never have bought one, though. My gaming habits don't really match up to them these days. When I do play emulated games, it's GGPO or something. When I want to dig through old arcade games, I prefer to play the real deal at Galloping Ghost or some place like that.

Never too late to try one and support this baby.

All I know is I love handheld gaming, but Im tried of lugging my 3DS and its games around (don't even mention the XL lol) and Vita is kind of large too. I'd like a small pocket device that plays all the (classic) games I love and it isn't a shitty port or remake. And it isn't on my smartphone where I don't have buttons, there may or may not be lag, and the I won't have to deal with that damn cell phone screen getting Super hot as I rage to perform an action in a game and miss it or fail or press the home button (or area cause it isnt a button) and close the game.

Ill say the PSP is as good as it got, but emulation isn't perfect... Im just glad sony isn't patching firmware anymore... ugh that was a hassle.

TheNatural

My Member!
Interesting. I'll keep my eye on it. With a total price around the same as a 3DS though, the build quality better be really good though. Is there any reviews of how it plays, how solid the construction is, and so on?

Vitacat

You keep hammering on that 'sound lag' thing. Is that really an insurmountable issue for Android devices?

On the gaming-specific Android devices that have been produced so far, it appears to be. Whether it is insurmountable I don't know. Hopefully not. Mind you, I am also an Android fan and user (love my Note 2).

solarus

I was one of the few to get a pandora and let me tell you, that pos was not worth the wait.
Anyway this looks interesting, will wait it out though.

Chinner

Banned
Reminds me of the GP32, which was a neat little handheld. I won't be supporting it, but I hope it's successful!

Vitacat

Any word on battery life?

Check the forums I linked in the first post. I don't think I've seen a concrete number yet, but 2800 mah is a pretty beefy battery. I think I saw one guy who has one of the early units say they played for about 2 or 3 hours and the battery dropped by about 20 - 25%. So I would guess maybe 8 - 10 hours per charge? Somewhere in there depending on what you're doing on the device. But at this point AFAIK there are no official numbers on that, so don't quote me.

Vitacat

Reminds me of the GPU 32, which was a neat little handheld. I won't be supporting it, but I hope it's successful!

GP32 you mean, right? Yeah, I loved the GP32 -- still have mine and it's still working, albeit with a busted shoulder button. :p The Zero is kinda like a spiritual successor to what the GP32 started -- a community driven gaming handheld.

Chinner

Banned
meant GP32 yeah. i definitely think theres a place in the market for these kind of things, however I'll be using the Ouya for that instead.

Vitacat

Seems very expensive.

$135 is expensive? o_O

Well, I guess it's all relative. I think it's pretty cheap. Also keep in mind it uses standard SDHC and SDXC cards, and all the software is FREE. But then again I also own a Vita and a 32GB memory card for it, so my view on handheld gaming prices is a bit skewed upward I guess. ;-)

54-46!

I was always curious about these open source handhelds, but the SNES emulation wasn't very good and games never ran at full speed. How strong is that CPU in comparison to other modern handheld devices?

I might be interested.. if I can get it without the logo, that thing needs to go.

Vitacat

I was always curious about these open source handhelds, but the SNES emulation wasn't very good and games never ran at full speed. How strong is that CPU in comparison to other modern handheld devices?

I might be interested.. if I can get it without the logo, that thing needs to go, doesn't look any good at all.

Check the Youtube videos. SNES emulation is shown running full speed and has reportedly very good compatibility. As for the logo, you can always remove the bezel and put your own DIY aftermarket one in I suppose. ;-)

Hmm you guys are starting to convince me, one question, so this thing is running linux distribution? Are they developing their own? What about the emulators? Who is coding them? What state are they in today? And how do we know new ones/ better versions will be released afterwards?

Vitacat

Wait whats the point of ps2 and ps1 without dual analogues. unless I'm missing something with that design.

There will never be PS2 emulation on this device. And did you ever own a PS1? 95% of PS1 games didn't even use analog at all. That came very late into the PS1's life with Ape Escape.

Chinner

Banned
people need to forget about ps2 emulation (and wii) emulation for awhile. you need hardware that is significantly more powerful, and only high end PCs can really handle it at the moment.

Vitacat

Hmm you guys are starting to convince me, one question, so this thing is running linux distribution? Are they developing their own? What about the emulators? Who is coding them? What state are they in today? And how do we know new ones/ better versions will be released afterwards?

I really suggest you check the links I placed in the OP for all that sort of info. I'm not officially involved with this device myself, just a fan, so I don't know all those details.

But basically the Dingoo dev community is involved, and if you check the videos you'll see tons of emulators already running very well and fast. As for distribution, they already have started a repository, which is linked right from the Kickstarter.

See here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gcw/gcw-zero-open-source-gaming-handheld/posts

Principate

Saint Titanfall
There will never be PS2 emulation on this device. And did you ever own a PS1? 95% of PS1 games didn't even use analog at all. That came very late into the PS1's life with Ape Escape.

Yeah but it still helps and was useful in a fair of it's later titles. Even ignoring that it means means you it'll be gimped for any indie games using dual analogues as rare as they are. Still seems a fairly glaring omission. Sure it may not be used for the majority but there are some it's need for.

Vitacat

Yeah but it still helps and was useful in a fair of it's later titles. Even ignoring that it means means you it'll be gimped for any indie games using dual analogues as rare as they are. Still seems a fairly glaring omission. Sure it may not be used for the majority but there are some it's need for.

Well, you have a right to your opinion. I personally don't miss it. Maybe if the GCW Zero is successful they'll make a "GCW One" in a couple of years and add a second analog. ;-)

Can this thing do an emulator up to kega's standards, or even possibly snes9x 1.53.....?

I'm not familiar enough with those emus (haven't used either in years) to answer that with conviction. But from what I've seen Genesis, including Sega CD, and SNES emulation looks to be very solid and full speed. Again, I strongly suggest you watch some videos and check the forum linked in the OP. Lots more info there. That's how I got into this thing in the first place.

RM8

I love handhelds, but I've never bought one of these "open" handhelds that are mostly for emulation. I'll buy this if the support is good enough, nice to see Sqrxz 3 there, I'd be interested in more indie games for this.

Seems very expensive.

Compared to what? All you need is a micro SD for this bad boy.

Compared to a 3DS, heck or a Vita or many other devices which the cost add up over time.

Only thing I can think rivals this to a minimal degree (in terms of emulation and price) is a hacked PSP.

Also Shiiit Vitacat, you are making me want to buy another one.

Vitacat

Compared to what? All you need is a micro SD for this bad boy.

Compared to a 3DS, heck or a Vita or many other devices which the cost add up over time.

Only thing I can think rivals this to a minimal degree (in terms of emulation and price) is a hacked PSP.

Also Shiiit Vitacat, you are making me want to buy another one.

Go for it! LOL

Vitacat

This does seem weird.. I'm not sure I like that at all, they should use a SNES layout.

Seriously guys? This matters to you?

Maybe they did it on purpose to avoid any potential legal issues. Either way, it's just buttons labels. Especially on an emulation oriented device, they mean next to nothing.

Harteex

Yes it's running a custom linux distribution called OpenDingux. Emulators are ported or made by people from the Dingoo community.
New updates and better versions will be released because people are doing this out of a passion of an open source handheld. The Dingoo has recieved a lot of support during the years, but what's different to the Dingoo and other similar devices is that this is "our" console.

Anyway, I have a prototype, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
I haven't played much on mine so far though, I've been using it mostly for development.

Top Bottom