• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GCW Zero - new retrogaming open source handheld!

20cent

Banned
I think I have one already, for half the price and full compatibility up to the N64

PSP_Go_3000_Hack_6_20_running_gpsp_GBA_emulator_WITH_LINKS_.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think I have one already, for half the price and full compatibility up to the N64

PSP_Go_3000_Hack_6_20_running_gpsp_GBA_emulator_WITH_LINKS_.jpg

Why post this rubbish. This is a thread about the GCW Zero. Make your own thread about emulation on that failed handheld.

Vitacat

LOL. I have 2 PSP's and a Vita. PSP is NOT "full compatibility" up to N64. It's crap for N64 and good to decent for 16bit systems. Its biggest problem, aside from the 16:9 screen with weird resolution, slow CPU and tiny RAM, is that its dev scene is dead. The Zero can already wipe the floor with it. A hacked PSP is great and I love mine, don't get me wrong, but the Zero is still ultimately better for retrogaming.

Also, a new video was posted showing Pilotwings running perfectly and full speed, a game that is often not well emulated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKIz3wlbqCU

tim.mbp

I'm in for one. Could use a decent retro emulation device. That fact that it looks like a good d-pad and it runs Linux out of the box sealed the deal for me.

Harteex

Are there any plans for a unified front end to all the emulators?

Alekmaul makes all his emulators look the same way at least. But not all emulators are by him.

Nice to see the screen is bigger.

When is the nub used? N64, PS1, and PC games which uses the mouse/joystick? I suppose there's not much they can do about the positioning of it, but the GCW Zero seems to scream for a grip add-on. I'm wondering if it'll possible to modify a PSP grip add-on to accommodate the GCW Zero.

Does HDMI-out work? I don't think I've seen vids of that in action.

I played a netgame of Quake 1 against some other GCW owners, then I used the nub. Otherwise I haven't used it much, I prefer dpads myself.
But yea, I can imagine it's useful when/if we get a PS1 emu. And other ported 3D games of course.

About HDMI, I'll have to get back to you about that.

And also, zear wanted me to post his video when he's playing a netgame of duke3d:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpUSf5EmeY4

Agent X

This looks impressive! I'd be highly interested in a machine like this for classic video game emulation. It seems like a really well-designed unit, with almost everything I could wish for in a system aimed at that segment of the market, including a 320x240 LCD, HDMI out, A/V out, Micro SDHC, and USB connectivity.

I wonder if the video output could handle higher resolutions than 320x240? If so, then it might be possible to emulate higher resolution machines like the Amiga and hook up to a TV or monitor to get the "full" experience.

I was hoping for something a bit more discreet...

I just ordered that grip based on your post here. I've never used a grip on a handheld as I've largely thought they looked cheap or were against the point of a handheld. Then I realized I haven't taken a handheld out of my house in roughly five years. And I probably would have enjoyed them more during those five years with a grip. After having that epiphany, I do hope that a grip finds its way to market for the Zero.

N64 emulation would be nice but I'm really not counting on it. It would be amazing to have No Mercy or VPW2 in my pocket, but most of the rest of the N64 library I'd ever want to replay have been released on DS and 3DS.

Lettuce

I just ordered that grip based on your post here. I've never used a grip on a handheld as I've largely thought they looked cheap or were against the point of a handheld. Then I realized I haven't taken a handheld out of my house in roughly five years. And I probably would have enjoyed them more during those five years with a grip. After having that epiphany, I do hope that a grip finds its way to market for the Zero.

N64 emulation would be nice but I'm really not counting on it. It would be amazing to have No Mercy or VPW2 in my pocket, but most of the rest of the N64 library I'd ever want to replay have been released on DS and 3DS.

You wont regret it mate, and you'll think to yourself, "why the hell didnt i get one earlier?"

Vitacat

KS at over $32,000. Seems to have slowed down today. Hopefully pledges will pickup again soon.

If anyone here is a reporter for any tech or gaming blogs, please let your readers know about the GCW Zero Kickstarter. It could really help this cool little project succeed.

This looks impressive! I'd be highly interested in a machine like this for classic video game emulation. It seems like a really well-designed unit, with almost everything I could wish for in a system aimed at that segment of the market, including a 320x240 LCD, HDMI out, A/V out, Micro SDHC, and USB connectivity.

I wonder if the video output could handle higher resolutions than 320x240? If so, then it might be possible to emulate higher resolution machines like the Amiga and hook up to a TV or monitor to get the "full" experience.

I believe it can, so yeah, hopefully that may be possible, along with filters perhaps. Since it also has USB, maybe we could also plug in a keyboard and have full retro computer emulation eventually. :p

Reclaimer

Fuck it, I'm in.

I'm a bleeding heart for: handhelds, retro, indie, opensource, proper resolutions, dpads. Having a great portable emulator will be awesome! I've been transferring saves from my actual snes carts to my laptop/iPad (and back to the carts) to play on the go... And a well made handheld should fit right in with this!

Hopefully there's some sort of cloud access... Dropbox?

R1CHO

Fuck it, I'm in.

I'm a bleeding heart for: handhelds, retro, indie, opensource, proper resolutions, dpads. Having a great portable emulator will be awesome! I've been transferring saves from my actual snes carts to my laptop/iPad (and back to the carts) to play on the go... And a well made handheld should fit right in with this!

I dunno, right now i think that you can have access to the console with your wifi connection using the gcw as a ftp server.

Agent X

I believe it can, so yeah, hopefully that may be possible, along with filters perhaps. Since it also has USB, maybe we could also plug in a keyboard and have full retro computer emulation eventually. :p

Yeah, I was thinking about that with the USB, that you might be able to connect a physical keyboard. I saw a Commodore 64 emulator being demonstrated on one of the recent GCW Zero videos. In the video, the user could bring up an onscreen keyboard, but it would obscure part of the display. The ability to connect a physical keyboard would be practical here.

Most old computers only had one or two buttons on their controllers, but would sometimes use one or more keys on the keyboard for additional controls, as well as selecting game options or pausing the game. For computer games that only require light keyboard usage of a few specific keys, the emulator might be able to set up a profile for a game and map those keystrokes to buttons that would otherwise be unused.

Rich!

So...I want one. I live in the UK.

What would my options and overall cost be, taking my location into account?

Vitacat

Oh excellent

I couldn't load up the ks on my phone. Thanks to you both!

If this thing can play DKC2 at full speed, im fucking in.

I think it should, no problem. I saw DC1 going full speed, nice and smooth, in one of the videos.

I just hope the KS can make it. Numbers are still climbing but trending downward, and the tech/game press has all but ignored the GCW Zero, probably due to CES. :-( If they would report about the kickstarter on a few major blogs it might send it over the top this week. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

eggwolio

I just wish it had like two more buttons. I'm surprised that as many times as people have mentioned wanting N64 emulation, no one has mentioned the flawed button layout for said emulation.

Vitacat

I just wish it had like two more buttons. I'm surprised that as many times as people have mentioned wanting N64 emulation, no one has mentioned the flawed button layout for said emulation.

N64 emulation is not really what this was specifically designed for, altho it's possible. Plus, how many N64 games truly need all the buttons available at once? I sold my N64 long ago, so I don't recall, but I suspect the Zero has enough buttons for most games.

Also, GCW posted some nice forum banners, which I have added to the OP. :)

banner01_kick_zps72914f5b.gif

lepo

I'm in .. I am a sucker for handhelds and this one seems pretty well done
Can't wait to play some amiga games on the go!

plc268

Fuck it, I'm in.

Ahh, a fellow retrode user! It's been great transferring my old savegames that I've used on emulators to physical carts. Never thought about storing them on dropbox.

I'm tempted to buy in on the GCW Zero, but at the same time, I'd rather do most of my gaming on the official hardware at this point, since I own flashcarts for just about everything anyway. But, if it starts getting close to the goal, I may just cave and buy in anyway.

Vitacat

Hmm, any of you guys have any idea if this device will allow for an additional pad via usb or something?

That should be very possible. It's something I'm hoping to see, along with plugging in a USB keyboard for retro computer emulation. Just a matter of the devs coding drivers and having them supported by the emulator, I'd guess.

I'm tempted to buy in on the GCW Zero, but at the same time, I'd rather do most of my gaming on the official hardware at this point, since I own flashcarts for just about everything anyway. But, if it starts getting close to the goal, I may just cave and buy in anyway.

Well, they're at about 30% now, and Kicktraq has them trending toward being funded. So hopefully we'll have you as part of the gang soon. ;-)

Burai

shitonmychest57
It's not the greatest name perhaps, but GCW Zero isn't any more complicated than Nintendo 3DS. GCW is the company, Zero the model name.

That only works if the company has millions of dollars to spend on advertising and retail awareness like Nintendo did when they first launched the NES.

If you're kickstarting a hobbyist project, it needs a snappy, catchy name. Ouya and GameStick stick in the mind, GCW Zero just doesn't. It's a generic, non-descriptive name with a boring logo attached to some rather generic looking hardware. I can't help but think this is part of the reason why the gaming blogs aren't picking up on this thing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Eh. Don't like how they're aiming it so hard to emulation that it gimps its potential for newer games. Every complaint people have posted about it here just gets countered with "but it's adequate/great for emulation" and that's not good imo. Oh well.

Rich!

Eh. Don't like how they're aiming it so hard to emulation that it gimps its potential for newer games. Every complaint people have posted about it here just gets countered with "but it's adequate/great for emulation" and that's not good imo. Oh well.

Then its not for you. This is a handheld primarily designed for retro emulation.

Alexios

Then its not for you. This is a handheld primarily designed for retro emulation.
It's still gimped in that way though, if it's so emulation hardcore why not give us 6 face buttons to make N64, Capcom beat 'em ups, other old arcades, etc, way more comfortable to play? Why not give twin sticks for PS1 emulation either? But anyway, the thread title didn't make it clear it was purely for emulation, since retro is used so widely these days, so I entered, sorry. Edit: it only has two shoulder buttons also as far as I can see, that's even more gimped than I thought... Is the accelerometer capable of analog tilt steering at least, for racing games (and if so are the triggers analog)? Or is it just for vague shakes and such?

Rich!

It's still gimped in that way though, if it's so emulation hardcore why not give us 6 face buttons to make N64, Capcom beat 'em ups, other old arcades, etc, way more comfortable to play? Why not give twin sticks for PS1 emulation either? But anyway, the thread title didn't make it clear it was purely for emulation, since retro is used so widely these days, so I entered, sorry. Edit; it only has two shoulder buttons also as far as I can see, that's even more gimped than I thought. Is it at least analog tilt capable to use it as a racing wheel of sorts or is the accelerometer mentioned limited to just vague shakes and such?

Why would it be motion capable? Did the Amiga have motion? This handheld is for retro gaming. Would you play SNES/Genesis classics with a motion sensor? I bloody well wouldn't.

as for N64 emulation, why focus on that, when there STILL isn't an adequate handheld solutionfor the SNES? the PSP, IOS and android all have SNES emulators. Yet they all suffer from poor framerates, poor sound emulation and other issues. This open source handheld seems like its focusing purely on getting a near flawless emulation level (in terms of playability) on every retro console up to the SNES.

All it needs is what it has now. If they were aiming for anything else, it would be a vastly different handheld.

Alexios

Then why have the accelerometer and one analog stick at all... Do it right or not at all.

Thread title didn't say finally a handheld great for 80s and SNES emulation and little else either.

But like I said it would be for arcade games too. SF2 and Outrun are quite retro. Not that PS1 and N64 aren't at 15+ years.

As for 100% accurate SNES emulation, since you put down minor issues on android etc, I doubt it will happen with just 1GHz.

Rich!

Then why have the accelerometer and one analog stick at all...

Thread title didn't say finally a handheld great for 80s and SNES emulation and little else either.

But like I said it would be for arcade games too. SF2 and Outrun are quite retro. Not that PS1 and N64 aren't at 15+ years.

I assume PS1 and N64 will definitely be possible, and should run very nicely. But its definitely clear that its designed primarily for older generations of consoles. I mean, the standard res screen is one main pointer to this (obviously that would benefit ps1 and n64 too, but still)

Absinthe

I don't get the it. Doesn't the PSP and pretty much every Android phone on the market already do all of this emulation? Can't you get a decent controller for your Android phone (iPhone user here) and just use that. I don't see the appeal of having another device to carry around. Also, with Blutrol and IOS jailbroken I can already do this by just adding a controller.

Rich!

I don't get the it. Doesn't the PSP and pretty much every Android phone on the market already do all of this emulation? Can't you get a decent controller for your Android phone (iPhone user here) and just use that. I don't see the appeal of having another device to carry around. Also, with Blutrol and IOS jailbroken I can already do this by just adding a controller.

Try playing a SNES game like Yoshi's Island or DKC on your PSP without horrendous frame skipping. And phones don't have buttons, and carrying around a controller with one is laughable. So what, im supposed to have the phone on my lap and the controller in my hands? No thanks.

That's why. Some of us care about quality and accuracy in emulation, and from all we know this handheld delivers just that.

I have a pretty decent spec Galaxy Tab with the best SNES emulator (SNES9X EX), and the emulation is STILL choppy and games like the above are fucked up because of it. Also, there's some godawful input lag.

People need to stop assuming that the PSP and Android emulators are good enough. They aren't. That's why this handheld exists.

PSP and Android have issues with frame skipping and audio delay ... at least with SNES emulation. Some games don't work at all.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes. But, first you have to hack it, second is not that good for emulation really.

JGpAx.jpg
The PSP is great for emulation. It's a good deal better than a number of other open source systems as well. I had a Dingoo last year that I sold simply because it was so damn terrible at emulation (despite that being one of its main functions).

While the PSP doesn't handle SNES well, it can handle most other systems from that era almost flawlessly and also offers perfect PSX support.

PSP and Android have issues with frame skipping and audio delay ... at least with SNES emulation. Some games don't work at all.
SNES is the one system that doesn't operate well on PSP. Everything else from that era operates at a full speed 60 fps without any skipping or hitching.

I don't think the SNES is well suited for these types of devices anyways as you can't even enjoy a 1:1 pixel image and have to resort to scaling which looks ugly on an LCD.

Vitacat

Well over 40k now.

If you want a Zero, tell your friends, post on your blogs etc. and let's try to get this thing funded.

Question about battery...

Does it use a propietary battery? Is it easily replaceable without tools? I change my psp 1000 batteries a lot on the go, and I always carry many batteries with me.

Top Bottom