• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GCW Zero - new retrogaming open source handheld!

Vitacat

Question about battery...

Does it use a propietary battery? Is it easily replaceable without tools? I change my psp 1000 batteries a lot on the go, and I always carry many batteries with me.

Not sure. I do know it's removable, and is said to get 7- 10 hours/charge. Maybe a proto owner can give us more info.

Johnny

This looks half-baked. Why did they omit the second analog stick and extra shoulder buttons needed for proper PS1/N64 emulation? Why is the screen only 320x240 when there are games, even going back to the 80's arcade era, that could benefit from say a 640x480 screen. Even something like the Genesis only displays at 320x224, so you'll still need to scale the image to properly display the intended 4:3 ratio.

Everything about this looks sloppy.

plc268

This looks half-baked. Why did they omit the second analog stick and extra shoulder buttons needed for proper PS1/N64 emulation? Why is the screen only 320x240 when there are games, even going back to the 80's arcade era, that could benefit from say a 640x480 screen. Even something like the Genesis only displays at 320x224, so you'll still need to scale the image to properly display the intended 4:3 ratio.

Everything about this looks sloppy.

I kinda agree. I can understand to some point omitting a second analog. But, at the very least, the handheld should at the very least have two more face buttons to facilitate genesis/n64 emulation or serve as auxillary buttons for extra sholder buttons.

Absinthe

Try playing a SNES game like Yoshi's Island or DKC on your PSP without horrendous frame skipping. And phones don't have buttons, and carrying around a controller with one is laughable. So what, im supposed to have the phone on my lap and the controller in my hands? No thanks.

That's why. Some of us care about quality and accuracy in emulation, and from all we know this handheld delivers just that.

I have a pretty decent spec Galaxy Tab with the best SNES emulator (SNES9X EX), and the emulation is STILL choppy and games like the above are fucked up because of it. Also, there's some godawful input lag.

People need to stop assuming that the PSP and Android emulators are good enough. They aren't. That's why this handheld exists.

Well from a controller standpoint you could use the iCade mobile:

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/icademobile

And I thought SNES emulation was pretty good on Android. What about SuperGNES? Use that on my Nexus 7 and it works really good. So is the problem with specific games that have trouble with emulation or is it the Android hardware that's not powerful enough?

I've never heard about the input lag problems on PSP, does anyone know why that happens? Trust me, I'm not against this device at all, I'm just trying to figure out whats so appealing about it.

Vitacat

On my phone and hate phone typing so this will short, but to address some of the above comments in a very general way...

I think you guys make some valid points and raise good questions, but I will just say this: the GCW Zero is a well balanced compromise. It can apparently run most if not all 8bit and 16bit era games at full speed, with good controls and in a small, affordable package. As simple as that sounds, there really isn't anything else that can truly make that claim. Combined with being open source, and having cool features like hdmi and usb, it's just a solid package with a narrow but accurate focus.

For some it simply is not the right device. Accept that and move on. This is a very well designed niche device, but the niche is small. If it's right for you, you will know it.

I reviewed this response via Kickstarter

Justin Barwick said:
Sunday Jan 13, 6:22pm GMT
an in emulator menu for each emulator that looks and acts the same is our end goal.

Which makes me happy.

My next question: are all the emulators free?

Pretty exciting update just posted:

After some serious debate in the comments section here on our Kick Starter page and other forums, we have decided to upgrade the RAM from 256MB to 512MB.
We have also decided to upgrade the internal storage capacity from 8GB to 16GB on the console.

We think both of these upgrades will provide more value for the money you are pledging to get this great gaming console we call The GCW-Zero.

Found this in my gmail a few mins ago

Project Update #5: Upgrade of Gaming Console RAM and Internal Storage

Posted by Justin Barwick

After some serious debate in the comments section here on our Kick Starter page and other forums, we have decided to upgrade the RAM from 256MB to 512MB.
We have also decided to upgrade the internal storage capacity from 8GB to 16GB on the console.

We think both of these upgrades will provide more value for the money you are pledging to get this great gaming console we call The GCW-Zero.

party-hard-bp1.gif

I really hope this kickstarter meets its goal...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
People need to stop assuming that the PSP and Android emulators are good enough. They aren't. That's why this handheld exists.
Again, as I've said, SNES is pretty much the only weakpoint for the PSP. SNES emulation on handhelds just isn't very good across the board.

I'm skeptical of this handheld simply because every open source device I've tried to date has real problems with virtually ALL emulators. The average person won't notice the issues, but for me, they really ruined the experience. I haven't been even remotely impressed by any of these devices yet.

Even if this NEW device is faster, we still have to rely on the emulator coders to deliver on the software front. The other handhelds have been able to deliver performance from a numbers perspective, but what you see in motion isn't as smooth as it should be.

Again, as I've said, SNES is pretty much the only weakpoint for the PSP. SNES emulation on handhelds just isn't very good across the board.

I'm skeptical of this handheld simply because every open source device I've tried to date has real problems with virtually ALL emulators. The average person won't notice the issues, but for me, they really ruined the experience. I haven't been even remotely impressed by any of these devices yet.

Even if this NEW device is faster, we still have to rely on the emulator coders to deliver on the software front. The other handhelds have been able to deliver performance from a numbers perspective, but what you see in motion isn't as smooth as it should be.

Well I can tell you one thing. Emulation on the PSP is not going to get any better, probably going to have to really wait and see if the Vita actually gets hacked. And I'm not talking about the PSP backend. Also what is the difference with waiting on android devs making better quality emulators? As it stands the emulators the Zero has to offer are already performing much better than android based devices.

Overall I think the main focus here is NOT to compete with other emulators on other platforms, but to offer an open source linux device on a handheld for gaming. In the end with a large community can produce something very special and maybe if this goes well there will be future support for higher end devices.

I guess I want this thing to succeed, even though I have a PSP, because it's going to be fun to see what they can pull off. It's more that just memory and frame rates to me (even though I'm psyched that they're increasing the memory). It's the idea that a community has assembled around this concept and they're trying to get it made for real. Maybe a PSP is good enough for Genesis emulation, but then you have to use a PSP. It's big, heavy, It has a shitty d-pad and shoulder buttons... IMO, a PSP is just not fun to use. Plus everything a PSP can do has been done and developers have moved on. This is a new platform for developers to tinker with.

A question about the Zero's OS. It's running a flavor of Linux. Does this mean that any emulator coded for Linux (after optimization of course) will run on the Zero?

Atolm

I guess I want this thing to succeed, even though I have a PSP, because it's going to be fun to see what they can pull off. It's more that just memory and frame rates to me (even though I'm psyched that they're increasing the memory). It's the idea that a community has assembled around this concept and they're trying to get it made for real. Maybe a PSP is good enough for Genesis emulation, but then you have to use a PSP. It's big, heavy, It has a shitty d-pad and shoulder buttons... IMO, a PSP is just not fun to use. Plus everything a PSP can do has been done and developers have moved on. This is a new platform for developers to tinker with.

A question about the Zero's OS. It's running a flavor of Linux. Does this mean that any emulator coded for Linux (after optimization of course) will run on the Zero?

Nope, the Zero uses a MIPS processor, so emulators need to be ported, you can't just pick a emulator made for PCs...

...but at the same time the Zero is binary-compatible with most Dingoo (which also uses a MIPS processor, albeit with a much lower clock frequency) emulators, which means you can run them almost out of the box. Maybe they won't take advantage of the Zero's higher specs, but it shouldn't be too hard to optimise them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well I can tell you one thing. Emulation on the PSP is not going to get any better, probably going to have to really wait and see if the Vita actually gets hacked. And I'm not talking about the PSP backend. Also what is the difference with waiting on android devs making better quality emulators? As it stands the emulators the Zero has to offer are already performing much better than android based devices.

Overall I think the main focus here is NOT to compete with other emulators on other platforms, but to offer an open source linux device on a handheld for gaming. In the end with a large community can produce something very special and maybe if this goes well there will be future support for higher end devices.
I'm simply saying that I've had very bad experiences with every other open source device to date. Every single one of them fails to deliver the kind of fluidity I'm looking for.

.but at the same time the Zero is binary-compatible with most Dingoo (which also uses a MIPS processor, albeit with a much lower clock frequency) emulators, which means you can run them almost out of the box.
Dingoo emulators almost all suck in the sense that they don't perform properly. I was unable to find even one single emulator that delivered the kind of performance I was looking for (even when the emulators themselves claim to be running at 60 fps without frame skipping).

Vitacat

GCW has announced some nice specs updates:

2052896f4c58be3a37a30b92e1a70aa8_large.png

Added the new specs to the OP. Not sure 512MB will be needed, but the bump to 16GB storage is very nice.

I'm simply saying that I've had very bad experiences with every other open source device to date. Every single one of them fails to deliver the kind of fluidity I'm looking for.

I can agree with you here. I am a handheld lover so I have supported a few, one that really sticks in my mind was the gamepark... or GP3X I think it was called, I believe everything on it was handled poorly and in the end the PSP could sill outperform it. But right now the GCW-ZERO is performing better than other emulation devices, look at some more videos and think of the possibilities. I don't think you will be unhappy in the end with this device in your collection.

GCW has announced some nice specs updates:
Added the new specs to the OP. Note sure 512MB will be needed, but the bump to 16GB storage is very nice.

Don't Jinx it! XD, can never have to much ram right? 16GB micro internal storage... I had a 32 waiting for this badboy for the external slot. I might have to really get another one of these, seeing ill have one on me at all times lmao.

Vitacat

I can agree with you here. I am a handheld lover so I have supported a few, one that really sticks in my mind was the gamepark... or GP3X I think it was called, I believe everything on it was handled poorly and in the end the PSP could sill outperform it. But right now the GCW-ZERO is performing better than other emulation devices, look at some more videos and think of the possibilities. I don't think you will be unhappy in the end with this device in your collection.

Don't Jinx it! XD, can never have to much ram right? 16GB micro internal storage... I had a 32 waiting for this badboy for the external slot. I might have to really get another one of these, seeing ill have one on me at all times lmao.

Yeah, me too. I think 16 int + 32 ext will be plenty for me, but it's nice knowing 64 will work too. As for the 512MB, there is one use that might be fun: adding multislot MVS emulation to a NeoGeo emulator so that you can load several games at once and select them on the fly like a real MVS cabinet.

Yeah, me too. I think 16 int + 32 ext will be plenty for me, but it's nice knowing 64 will work too. As for the 512MB, there is one use that might be fun: adding multislot MVS emulation to a NeoGeo emulator so that you can load several games at once and select them on the fly like a real MVS cabinet.

Any info on the HDMI out features?

Reclaimer

Any word on controller compatibility? Bluetooth or USB drivers would be great for the HDMI out.

The fact that they are listening to the community and upping the RAM and onboard storage is a GREAT sign. Teams like that deserve to succeed... Lets get this thing funded!

Vitacat

New 32 minute video was posted showing the GCW Zero playing the following:

- ScummVM : Monkey 1,2,3 + Broken sword
- Snes : Bahamut Lagoon, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VI, Seiken Densetsu 3
- Megadrive : QuackShot, Sonic 3,Sonic and Knuckle, Sonic CD, Virtua Racing, Legend of Thor, Flink + Ristar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJUrzml71A

Agent X

This looks half-baked. Why did they omit the second analog stick and extra shoulder buttons needed for proper PS1/N64 emulation? Why is the screen only 320x240 when there are games, even going back to the 80's arcade era, that could benefit from say a 640x480 screen.

I'd guess that some of those features were omitted to keep costs down.

I would have loved a 640x480 screen, and you're right, there were even some early 1980s games that could benefit from that. If there's one thing I would change, that would be it. But that might jack up the price to something unreasonable.

Even something like the Genesis only displays at 320x224, so you'll still need to scale the image to properly display the intended 4:3 ratio.

Well, 320x224 on a TV doesn't usually have square pixels. You'd have to get a very unusual custom-designed LCD to get a native 320x224 with true 4:3 ratio. Most devices on this level would just display 320x224 pixels at 1:1 mapping, with a border around the image. The very slight aspect ratio change is not that big of a deal. If 4:3 is preferable over 1:1 pixel mapping, then I suppose the emulator could do a slight vertical stretch.

The other thing is that a lot of other 1970s and 1980s systems have different resolutions, such as 320x200, 320x192, 256x224, or 256x192. 320x240 is good at "containing" all of these, with only minor changes in the aspect ratio in most cases. The alternative would be to create multiple devices, each with a different resolution (and differently shaped pixels, in many cases). This is simply not feasible.

If this project is successful, then perhaps its creators could consider offering an upgraded 640x480 version in the future, with extra buttons and a second analog stick. For now, though, I think this looks like it is striking a good balance of features with a reasonable price point.

Vitacat

Any word on controller compatibility? Bluetooth or USB drivers would be great for the HDMI out.

Nice update from GCW today:

Project Update #6: Status Update on OS and driver development
Posted by Justin Barwick

We are diligently working on implementing mini HDMI/Analog TV out to the console currently and it looks like we will have Analog TV out very soon. So keep your eyes out for a demonstration in the coming weeks of TV out function.

We are also working on the Open GL implementation we have a team of three dedicated developers working on it right now the driver is closed source but our hope is to very soon have an open source driver.

We are also working on USB 2.0 OTG but that is slow going. If you are a developer and interested in helping out the cause and have driver development experience in either USB or OpenGL, We could definitely use the assistance to implement these two features a lot quicker. If you are interested please contact me @ GCW@GCW-Zero.com

Once we achieve these three goals we will be comparable to the GAMESTICK only our console will be portable and playable on the go versus having to have a TV to use the device we believe that’s one advantage of our device over most on the market right now.

Kickstarter now over $55K and climbing. Pledge and get your own GCW Zero! 12 days to go!

Vitacat

If the Kickstarter doesn't make it, I'm going to have to mug someone for their SE. Every video I see makes me want this more.

Over 58k now. Doing pretty well. If they don't make it, it will be because the mainstream gadget press chose to ignore it. Just one story on one of the big tech/gaming blogs would make a big difference.

Over 58k now. Doing pretty well. If they don't make it, it will be because the mainstream gadget press chose to ignore it. Just one story on one of the big tech/gaming blogs would make a big difference.

I really hope it does, I plan on supporting and getting another unit for myself. The whole ram and data boost really made my day. I mean how often does that actually happen? I remember when users begged OUYA to boost ram and they had a SURPLUS of backers.

Reclaimer

If the Kickstarter doesn't make it, I'm going to have to mug someone for their SE. Every video I see makes me want this more.

Haha! Same here.

What I can't tell from the videos is if the dpad is any good. Sure, it looks good, and others have said its nice... But man, the dpad could make or break my enjoyment. Really crossing my fingers tight on this one, although I'd be surprised if it turns out to be shitty as its sole purpose is retro games, a d it's made by retro gamers.

Haha! Same here.

What I can't tell from the videos is if the dpad is any good. Sure, it looks good, and others have said its nice... But man, the dpad could make or break my enjoyment. Really crossing my fingers tight on this one, although I'd be surprised if it turns out to be shitty as its sole purpose is retro games, a d it's made by retro gamers.

Well what makes a crappy D pad for you? I don't like it already because it reminds me of a nintendo d pad... which isn't a deal breaker, but I much prefer the sega saturn or xbox style d-pad. I think the worst D pad ever is the PS1-PS3 D-Pads.... while the best actually is the Vita D Pad... which is more like a Saturn Pad lol.

I never cared about D-Pads till I started playing fighters more seriously when SFIV and MVC3 came out... so I dunno lol

your thread help a lot already. Neogaf is one of the biggest handing "press", and its has how many pages now? The only thing really holding me back now is that I live outside of the USA, not sure what kind of shipping will I get and how long it will take ... If only vita or 3ds have good snes emulator too,I have too many handheld devices now..

Reclaimer

Well what makes a crappy D pad for you? I don't like it already because it reminds me of a nintendo d pad... which isn't a deal breaker, but I much prefer the sega saturn or xbox style d-pad. I think the worst D pad ever is the PS1-PS3 D-Pads.... while the best actually is the Vita D Pad... which is more like a Saturn Pad lol.

I never cared about D-Pads till I started playing fighters more seriously when SFIV and MVC3 came out... so I dunno lol

The Vita dpad is my favorite, it's so damn responsive and just clicky enough.

My newest 360 controller is just barely ok, while my older ones are horrible at properly registering directions. My Saturn pads are generally awesome. Most of my SNES pads are great too, even though hey are a bit soft. I've just bought too many third party controllers with mushy unresponsive pads, or first party controllers like the Wii remote that are just too small. The PS3 pad is at least responsive, but I'm pretty against the 4 way split, and it almost ruins certain games.

I have high hopes for this because of some similarities to a snes pad. :)

itxaka

Defeatist
wow, sounds amazing!

Would love tog et one but Im out of money until next month...grrrr.

Hope they get the money so they can build a few more!

The Vita dpad is my favorite, it's so damn responsive and just clicky enough.

My newest 360 controller is just barely ok, while my older ones are horrible at properly registering directions. My Saturn pads are generally awesome. Most of my SNES pads are great too, even though hey are a bit soft. I've just bought too many third party controllers with mushy unresponsive pads, or first party controllers like the Wii remote that are just too small. The PS3 pad is at least responsive, but I'm pretty against the 4 way split, and it almost ruins certain games.

I have high hopes for this because of some similarities to a snes pad. :)

Couldn't have agreed more.

I hope this D-Pad delivers as well, I am going to try and make some videos of other emulators (specially handheld ones like the PSP) to show how good the zero is in comparison. Probably have them up this weekend. I hope I can draw more people in with the videos. Today seems like a huge day for backers!

pje122

Can finally post again...

Anyway, is pledging $135 right now the only way to get one of these?
Or once they reach their goal will they be producing these regularly and I can buy one six months from now like a normal Internet purchase?

Orayn

Can finally post again...

Anyway, is pledging $135 right now the only way to get one of these?
Or once they reach their goal will they be producing these regularly and I can buy one six months from now like a normal Internet purchase?

If I recall, this is for the first "real" production run of 1000 units, most or all of which will be accounted for by pledges. More units being made later is likely, but this is the only guaranteed way to get one right now.

Well, I've never funded a Kickstarter before, and now seemed like a good time.

$155 pledged, but that $130,000 total seems a far ways off.

Top Bottom