• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 4: all the PC graphics options

i agree. ive bought every single game so far in their store and had zero issues with them. will continue to buy from them day 1 as long as these exclusives keep coming to pc.

I know I'm in the minority but this whole Xbox PC initiative is a dream come true for me. I've been wanting the Xbox Dashboard / Achievements / friends list on my PC for years. The fact that I'm going to be able to play Horde / Campaign from my PC in chat with friends that are only on the Xbox while earning Achievements is something I've been begging for.

No doubt there are issues with the store, and things that they can improve, but I really hope MS doesn't give up on PC this time.

I didn't even know there was any hostility regarding this. Last played Gears of War 2 on the good old Xbox360. I'm also coming from the FFXV threads where it is common courtesy to complain all day about how much worse the console versions look compared to the pretty development PC version. :/

Wait, there are pics of the PC version of FFXV? Can someone please link me?

Zedox

Wow. That's a lot. Good job Coalition. Hopefully they can help out other devs that are working on their Play Anywhere games. It may be too late for ReCore. :( but there may be time for Scalebound! :)

ekgrey

Wait, there are pics of the PC version of FFXV? Can someone please link me?

A great deal of the released media has been running on PC, or so I hear. And given the downgrade in the recent footage that we know is console, it seems probable. I think most AAA pre-release trailers and screens come from PC-based devkits. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong haha

Edit: and OT, GODDAMN this rocks. Definitely a step in the right direction by MS here. Hoping that it runs well enough to take advantage of it. I hope that the recent reports that QB being such a mess is Remedy's fault rather than Microsoft's are true. Given how well KI and Forza run, I am cautiously optimistic....

That was actually not my intention. Why are you guys so upset about it?

because it's like you've never seen a PC version of a multiplatform game before

now imagine if someone waltzed into threads for any of those games to say "Poor console-only gamers..."

just imagine it

and all will be explained to you

kodecraft

Ah that's good to hear. I'd missed that but I remember reading something the other day on GAF about it no longer receiving updates. Glad that was a false report.

Yea it was false, but on the Steam forums you can see people running with that misinformation all to try to sh*t on the WinStore and UWP.

kevin1025

Banned
At the end of September I'm picking up a new video card, this game will be put to the test once it releases!

Now to decide on GTX 1060 or RX 480...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Small detail that could be easily overlooked.

At the bottom of the screen shows information how each individual setting will effect the CPU usage, GPU usage, and VRAM usage.

GTA4 did that with VRAM usage. I wish more programs would take that information and put it in for users to be able to customize to their rig as they see fit.

Dinjoralo

Damn, that's deep. Now lets hope that A) It runs well, and B) All other W10 store releases can be compared to this. Seriously, I friggin hate games where the lowest graphical settings look and perform near identically to the highest, and if Microsoft's pushing developers to go the extra mile in the graphical options, that's a great way to make these games appealing, in spite of, y'know, the W10 store.

FLAguy954

That was literally one of the most well thought-out graphics options I have ever seen. I am very impressed by the to-the-point explanation of each option as well as them going the extra mile to reveal the CPU, GPU, and VRAM impact of each setting.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Poor Xbox One only players. They will get a considerably worse looking game in comparison to the gorgeous PC version and that with a series that has back then always been an Xbox exclusive...
Yo wot mate?
gearsofwar.jpg

What a random yet surprisingly bad post when considering the thread topic.

On Topic
Damn son.
I need this on PC but that 80Gig download is gonna be the end of me.

Theorry

I wonder if Gears 4 has real time Global Illumination.

It does.

"We have added a number custom rendering extensions to the engine, some examples are volumetric light scattering, enabling physically accurate atmospherics, real-time global illumination bounce lighting, enabling flashlights to bounce light off of surfaces to indirectly light the surrounding environment, and geometry caching, enabling advanced film VFX rigid body simulations and destruction on the GPU in real-time"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-gears-of-war-4-tech-interview

DeeBatch

I like settings. I can't wait to see this game at 4k 60fps. It's going to be mind blowing.

Also, cross-buy ftw.

Yes very excited for this game. Gunna play it on Xbox one S in HDR and on My rig in 4k.. The multi-gpu option is gunna be great for my R9 390's guaranteeing me 60fps+ in 4k . Then them having Async as an option wow can't wait.

Speaking about HDR. I don't see a toggle for HDR anywhere, or am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything. HDR isn't available on PC's because no monitor supports it. First HDR monitors should be coming early 2017 according to Nvidia. After that there may need to be some updates to graphics libraries / drivers to fully support it, and it may be limited to only newer GPU's which meet the correct specifications, but I'm not certain of that. At the very least, AMD and Nvidia are only marketing the cards which came out this year as HDR capable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA4WAxmbO6M&t=10m45s

Lister

Banned
No, you're not missing anything. HDR isn't available on PC's because no monitor supports it. First HDR monitors should be coming early 2017 according to Nvidia. After that there may need to be some updates to graphics libraries / drivers to fully support it, and it may be limited to only newer GPU's which meet the correct specifications, but I'm not certain of that. At the very least, AMD and Nvidia are only marketing the cards which came out this year as HDR capable.

But modern GPU's do, and PC + TV is somethign people, especially people looking at gaming at 4K on TV are likely to have.

However, I've heard that it doesn't matter, as no current TV has anything resmebling a decent response time in HDR mode. It's like playing with Frame interpolation on on your TV. Not good for gaming. Also a lot of current HDR TV's only support 60-70% of the spec's range.

Edit: Also I do believe there are, professional grade monitors avialable that support a high % of the HDR spec... but they are incredibly expensive.

Caayn

That sucks, I've got a 1070 hooked up to my TV that's HDR compatible.

I had hoped that the PC versions of the Gears 4 and FH3 would include HDR like their XB1 counterpart does.
But modern GPU's do, and PC + TV is somethign people, especially people looking at gaming at 4K on TV are likely to have.

However, I've heard that it doesn't matter, as no current TV has anything resmebling a decent response time in HDR mode. It's like playing with Frame interpolation on on your TV. Not good for gaming. Also a lot of current HDR TV's only support 60-70% of the spec's range.
I can enable game mode while HDR is enabled on my OLED TV without a problem. HDR with game mode disabled looks better of course.

Lister

Banned

I had hoped that the PC versions of the Gears 4 and FH3 would include HDR like their XB1 counterpart does.

Have you tried HDR mode witha agme that supports it? So far I've only seen ridiculous 70+ millisecond input lag ratings on HDR modes.

Bolivar687

Banned
Man I thought The Division and Doom raised the bar with their PC settings but this is going above and beyond. I'd like to see Microsoft keep it up with Forza and their next lineup of PC games.

Caayn

Have you tried HDR mode witha agme that supports it? So far I've only seen ridiculous 70+ millisecond input lag ratings on HDR modes.
Not yet as no game supports HDR yet, at least not that I'm aware of. I think that FH3 is the first HDR game on the market.

Trago

Wow. Not bad. After Forza Apex, and with this, I hope this is the trend going forward for major Microsoft releases on PC. It would give me confidence in buying something on the Windows Store.

Lister

Banned

I can enable game mode while HDR is enabled on my OLED TV without a problem. HDR with game mode disabled looks better of course.

Oh man that's cool, what's TV do you have? I was giving up on finding somehting decent with no more than say 40 ms delay.

This is nice, but does the game include the same splitscreen options as the Xbox One?

Was disappointed to learn they cut splitscreen from the PC version of GOW Remastered

Caayn

Oh man that's cool, what's TV do you have? I was giving up on finding somehting decent with no more than say 40 ms delay.
I've got a LG 55EG920v, it's an older model and has an input lag of ~50ms. Not the best but it's fine for me. The 2016 OLED models have a input lag of around ~35ms, but I don't know if they support HDR in game mode. The Samsung KS8000, LCD, US model, for example has an input lag of ~22ms with HDR in game mode. TVs are supporting HDR in game mode more and more.

The only downside with HDR in game mode is that it doesn't look as good as HDR with game mode disabled, but still looks better than normal content.

derExperte

The difference is substantial in Gears, because of the way wall cancels and bounce works. In the newer Gears games you could be alternating between left and right as fast as 4-6 times in a second.

Not that big of a problem using a good mechanical keyboard, nothing in that video looks more or as difficult as what you see during for example high-level Quake play and WASD's strength actually is sudden direction changes. I mean you always have three fingers on the four keys so in that scenario there wouldn't be any need to move them, just taptaptaptap and that can be done insanely quick after getting used to it. Though of course you would easily beat me or most PC gamers who haven't had many opportunities to play Gears no matter what control method.

Just did some quick google-fu. MS said at GDC that they will be adding HDR support to Windows in 2017, but it should be available in preview (if you are a Windows Insider) in 2016. Since it will require an update to DirectX, obviously game developers will need to integrate those changes even after they update the OS. Likely the OS portion is what's going to be able to detect that the display is HDR capable and hook up the various display settings/panels, as well as updating the DX libraries internally to handle HDR and then game developers can build on top of that.

https://hardforum.com/threads/direc...in-2017-as-microsoft-shares-new-info.1894465/

Hopefully once Windows / DX is updated, FH3, GoW4 and any other titles which support HDR will get updates on the PC. As always, be sure to send feedback to the developers to keep it on their radar.

Top Bottom