• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 leak source found.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LiK said:
Missed the GeoHot threads?
I didn't follow them very closely, no. It was during my exam period.

and just imagine – this is the company that most of our computers are running on, and they want to control the smartphone market, too.

Oh Microsoft! We can't trust you to do anything, can we?!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Angry Fork said:
Jordan gif is always awesome but I just can't get used to him with a mustache.

he has always had a stache

michael_jordan010.jpg

michael-jordan-first-trophy.jpg

RS4-

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If the leak doesn't have multi, I doubt it will affect sales much if at all.
It has MP, but it's still restricted to those that can actually boot up the game

segarr

Meh, it would have leaked anyway. These big releases always do. It must be so easy to just slip a disc at one of those pressing factories in your pants or something...Game will still sell gangbusters

DMczaf

Angry Fork said:
I'm not sure why I notice it so much now. Guess my memories fuzzy.

Yeah, it's normal. Now, when he tried to bring back the Hitler a while back THAT was weird.

Jordan-sports-a-Hitler-mustache.jpg

Chuck Norris said:
If I was Epic I'd seriously consider a lawsuit against Microsoft

that would cost all the money they're going to make when the game still sells a gajillion copies because these kinds of leaks have yet to provably kill a game at release.

Digishine

Banned
shinnn said:
is this "Codify" a Microsoft company?

Actually its a company who got hired by microsoft.
The offending sections of the website that hosted the developer build of Gears of War 3 have been taken offline, but as Google Search Cache still reveals right now, the pages were indeed there at some point. The first page indicates a simple directory located on xbox.codify.com marked “/GOW3/GEARS-OF-WAR-3-CONFIDENTIAL/”, and subsequent directories, such as the one cached, included the game’s content. The second cached page shows game assets; all directories seemed to be accessible without any sort of password, encryption or other security method in place.

Codify, hosts of xbox.codify.com where the GOW3 build was found, offer “software engineering and managed hosting.” They appear to be an Australian-based company and on their website front page there is a testimonial from a Microsoft manager, which indicates that the company does deal with Microsoft in some capacity. We dug deeper to see if Microsoft was the actual source of the leak.

We called Codify to see in what capacity they worked with Microsoft. The director there said that they simply hosted a server for the Xbox team at Microsoft, which further points to Microsoft accidentally leaking their own game. They said they would follow this up with Microsoft and contact us, so we’ll keep you posted of any further developments as Microsoft responds.

source neowin.net

shinnn

Digishine said:
Actually its a company who got hired by microsoft.

source neowin.net
PS3 Hacker, australian server. Sounds odd. What Gears 3 code files are doing in australia? =p

shinnn said:
PS3 Hacker, australian server. Sounds odd. What Gears 3 code files are doing in australia? =p
Its probably a straight line through the earth to Epic's offices.

First place I would've checked honestly.

smik

**Warning***

hey guys try and stay away from Gears related Videos and comments sections, some fucker decided to blurt out some rather important spoilers while commenting on my vids :(

im really pissed!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jerk said:
Which language? I mean, if the poor man had to do it in MIPs, I can hardly blame him :p

A language that featured multiple single function call hashing options including MD5 and SHA1 in its default packages.

Zomba13

Rez said:
What's this mama robotnick stuff in reference to?

I feel like this would feel worst as a creator. If someone maliciously leaks your content, at least you have a villain as a frustration outlet. If something like this happens because an otherwise talented employee made a (in this case, huge) mistake, you're placed in a really uncomfortable situation where your content is out there and a potentially good person(s) loses their job.

I mean, it's like saying I'd rather you cut off my ring finger instead of my index finger, we're talking very fine shades of grey, but yeah, I know which I'd 'prefer'.
Mama Robotnik supported Geohot for his releasing custom Firmware of the PS3,. allowing people to homebrew and the like on it but idiots here assume that because he supports homebrew and doing what you want with your own consoles that he also supports dicks hacking companies servers leaking things or hacking peoples personal accounts.

if im not mistaken you need a jtag 360.
So chances are this won't spread like wild fire.
Still its a old build with green boxes everywhere.

This leak will probably increase Gears 3 preorder numbers maybe cliffy B will sell its 10 million.

Still microsoft marketing money bag should be more then enough to cover the damages.

H3xum

Curious to see what the residual affects will be for Microsoft.

Everyone is certain to be more critical, perhaps something positive will come from it

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I hope someone doesn't spoil the game for me. It's gonna sell a lot anyway, I doubt Epic is worried about this.

smik

-PXG- said:
This.

EDIT

Oh damn. The ending is on Youtube. Might not wanna watch it.

man, i vowed to go on a complete media blackout after seeing the first 5 mins and then some random youtuber comes along, comments and completely spoils it for anyone who happens to read

be very really careful when watching Youtube Gears Vids, i have seen it spoiled 5 times already today on other vids :(

Totobeni said:
stop,poor Mama Robotnik can't donate and support all of you leakers and hackers..so stop goddammit

Find a post in whch I have supported leaking software or admit to being a liar. Go.

I somewhat suspect you won't respond Totobeni.

Rez said:
What's this mama robotnick stuff in reference to?

I donated a fiver to Geohot's defense fund and regret nothing. Yeah, he's a cock, but Sony's pursuit of YouTube/Twitter IP addresses of people who watched (even accidentally) videos the company deemed unacceptable, hypocrisy of threatening to go after anyone who published their security codes (then promptly publishing said codes themselves on Kevin Butler's twitter feed), and various other concerns about the freedom of hacking your own console were enough to compel me to throw Hotz some spare change.

Unfortunately, some people have a very limited understanding of anything and encompass "hack" into some nebulous boogeyman concept and then connect me to it. I suspect they want to demonise me for my stance but are unable to construct an actual considered argument.

Then others quote them with "ice cold" like I'm somehow offended by such a wealth of embarassment.

Zomba13 said:
Mama Robotnik supported Geohot for his releasing custom Firmware of the PS3,. allowing people to homebrew and the like on it but idiots here assume that because he supports homebrew and doing what you want with your own consoles that he also supports dicks hacking companies servers leaking things or hacking peoples personal accounts.

Thanks.

Top Bottom