• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Beta |OT| Hello Chainsaw My Old Friend, I've Come To Rev You Up Again

bumpkin

Played one game. Same old shit. No thanks.

Shotguns that are sniper rifles. Inconsistencies in everything. I shotgun a guy once then he shotguns me, then I shoot him again, then he shoots me, I die.

Get fucked.
Do the co-op TDM, that way the bullshit is on your side since the AI is the target not you. I made the switch last night and started having way more fun.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Do the co-op TDM, that way the bullshit is on your side since the AI is the target not you. I made the switch last night and started having way more fun.

I'm still staggered that after literally 10 years the multiplayer in this game hasn't changed.

Still the same broken shotgun trash it's always been. Fuck that noise.

If a single achievement requires me to play ranked matches online, I won't be buying this game.

quickwhips

I'm still staggered that after literally 10 years the multiplayer in this game hasn't changed.

If a single achievement requires me to play ranked matches online, I won't be buying this game.
I think active reload is why this happened to you.

It's been that way because people enjoy it. Sounds like the game just isn't for you.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Just downloaded the beta. Every time I try to play team death match I get this crazy thing going on where all the assets are flickering, loading, popping in and out. Can't see any other players. ???

The game stutters like crazy, seemingly at random. Happens right after spawns for me a lot, and sometimes when an explosive is used.

Still disappointing to see how hard it is to run a 5v5 game on fairly static maps. Ridiculous.

Also wasn't a huge fan of the lightweight movement. Prefer Gears 1 style.
Like the new prompts for switching from cover, much clearer.
LOVE being able to active at will.
HATE that tagging grenades into walls is back (still hilarious with smokes).
Seems Lancer > Hammerburst (no one is using HB)
Meatshields still fairly overpowered.
Rounds, and sometimes matches, are over in like 5 minutes for TDM. Kinda crazy.
Maps feel solid but uninspired.
Two-piecing seems majorly toned down. Lots of kills by the player getting melee-d.

SwolBro

Banned
. I shotgun a guy once then he shotguns me, then I shoot him again, then he shoots me, I die.

Um, isn't that all shooters dude? someone has to die and seeing as you only played 1 freaking game, how do you think you should be doing against people that have played more? or people of the same level? Maybe you need to go pub stomp something you're more comfortable with.

RAWRferal

Can't find this to download on the Xbox store guys, is the client available for download yet? For open beta I mean.

I'm EU if that makes a difference.

I know some people don't like the graphics in this beta, but going back to Gears Ultimate after playing Gears 4 is quite jarring. Gears 4 looks WAAAAAAAAY better. It just needs some improvement in lighting and it'll be a great looking 60fps shooter (especially considering it's running at 1080p on XB1).

I know some people don't like the graphics in this beta, but going back to Gears Ultimate after playing Gears 4 is quite jarring. Gears 4 looks WAAAAAAAAY better. It just needs some improvement in lighting and it'll be a great looking 60fps shooter (especially considering it's running at 1080p on XB1).
It's not healthy to lie to yourself

I keep trying to play the beta but all it does is make me want to play Gears 3/UE instead. that can't be a good sign

UE looks night and day better, it's not even close. That horrible low res 30 fps 2d texture of water splashing in Harbor is garbage tier and I can't believe that they left such a rough asset in the beta

I'm, again having the same problem online: Everyone is too damn good. Their years upon years of experience vs my less than one year experience is highly apart. I'm not sure how new comers for online will enjoy it at all.

I'm, again having the same problem online: Everyone is too damn good. Their years upon years of experience vs my less than one year experience is highly apart. I'm not sure how new comers for online will enjoy it at all.

Try to stick with other players on your team and watch their back and/or fire at the same person they are firing at. You can stay a bit behind and fire with the lancer for example. Don't try and rush in against good players before you have gotten the basics down.

I keep trying to play the beta but all it does is make me want to play Gears 3/UE instead. that can't be a good sign

UE looks night and day better, it's not even close. That horrible low res 30 fps 2d texture of water splashing in Harbor is garbage tier and I can't believe that they left such a rough asset in the beta

The gears UE beta had similar water...

S.Holmes

Banned
This is getting REALLY annoying now. Been like this for a day at least.

1st time had to retry 30 times to get in.
2nd time tried 100 times didn't get in.
3rd time had to retry 70 times to get in.

Poor A button was abused.

Moofers

Well:

Try to stick with other players on your team and watch their back and/or fire at the same person they are firing at. You can stay a bit behind and fire with the lancer for example. Don't try and rush in against good players before you have gotten the basics down.

This is great advice. I feel like I've gotten a much better handle on the shotgun in this game (they've finally fixed hit detection 10 years later) but I'm still outmatched at times. When I know I'm rolling against a tough crew, I support my team's best player. I follow, throw smoke, and use the lancer to whittle down health. My teammate might get in one shotgun blast that ends up being enough to get the kill because my lancer fire either got them a good start OR finished them off.

Also remember to use your active reload. You only have a short window once activated until the bullets return to normal damage, but if you're in a fight or see one coming in a moment, use it immediately and you'll notice a substantial difference in your effectiveness.

Good luck! Don't give up!

NateDrake

My ping on the main screen is 23ms and I lag during matches. Never lagged during matches prior to today. Are the servers getting wrecked or something?

jay23

This is getting REALLY annoying now. Been like this for a day at least.

1st time had to retry 30 times to get in.
2nd time tried 100 times didn't get in.
3rd time had to retry 70 times to get in.

Poor A button was abused.

Do you just keep pressing A when it says "the gears of war services currently unavailable"?

The main thing about Gears is that it truly is a team player game. Sure, the best of the best can roll on their own, but even mediocre players can beat great players as long as they work together. Don't go in thinking that you need lots of kills. Think about winning and if you're a beginner it's much better to get lots of assists. It helps out a lot and it's much better than if you just rush in getting yourself killed because you so desperately wanted a kill. It will also piss your teammates off if you do nothing but die on your own.

krang

The main thing about Gears is that it truly is a team player game. Sure, the best of the best can roll on their own, but even mediocre players can beat great players as long as they work together. Don't go in thinking that you need lots of kills. Think about winning and if you're a beginner it's much better to get lots of assists. It helps out a lot and it's much better than if you just rush in getting yourself killed because you so desperately wanted a kill. It will also piss your teammates off if you do nothing but die on your own.

Gears has always done well by scoring based on points, rather than kills.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Um, isn't that all shooters dude? someone has to die and seeing as you only played 1 freaking game, how do you think you should be doing against people that have played more? or people of the same level? Maybe you need to go pub stomp something you're more comfortable with.

If 2 shotgun shots is the requirement for death and I put two in him before he put two in me, he should have died first.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I don't know about anyone else, but as a Gears veteran I'm finding the Gears 4 shotgun to be great out of the box. Hip fire goes exactly where you think it should go. When I die I feel I deserved it. Of course there are a few frustrating WTF!!!!! moments that only Gears can deliver but this beta is a great start.

If 2 shotgun shots is the requirement for death and I put two in him before he put two in me, he should have died first.

Unless they had active and you didn't

Unless their shots were dead on, while yours had a pellet or two miss

Unless they were closer to you when they fired

There's too many factors to consider. It's not random or broken

GeNoMe

What a joke. I have tried to get in countless times, I keep getting failed connection errors.
Not gonna waste my time anymore.

S.Holmes

Banned
Do you just keep pressing A when it says "the gears of war services currently unavailable"?

I repeatedly hit the A button nonstop till I get in. Trust me I was hammering the A button over 100 times in less than a minute. Eventually you'll get in. But it's super annoying right now.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm downloading the beta now, but I may not have time to play it until the weekend.

How long will it take to hit level 20? I want those beta bonuses.

yyr

Thanks for the link. The jerks never sent me a code last week, so I've had to wait. It's weird because I got the digital copies of the prequels without issue.

You say this as if there's a specific amount of damage that a "shotgun shot" does, which there isn't. The shotgun does a highly variant amount of damage based on a radius. Where on the target's body this radius is, and the target's closeness to the attacker, determine the damage. If you went down first and were about at the same distance, it means they were more accurate and/or hit you closer to the head. Try again.

Tawpgun

I've loved the concept of active reloads but never their execution. I don't think they need a damage buff, but if they get one the weapon itself should glow or smoke or something to let your enemy know.

Also I hate that people are coming in here to complain about how Gears is still too shotgun centric. That's what gears is. Shotgunning and bouncing around walls are what it is. It's the only thing that makes this game unique among other cover based shooters. Imagine a gears without the shotgun, it would be trash.

Stop trying to change the identity of the game

yyr

I've loved the concept of active reloads but never their execution. I don't think they need a damage buff, but if they get one the weapon itself should glow or smoke or something to let your enemy know.

Throughout the series, the characters yell "SHIT YEAH!" or some other catchphrase (or bellow, depending on what team) when they active reload successfully. Other players (including opponents) can hear this...that is their warning.

BradC00

If your level and name isn't in the upper right hand corner when u select playlist, you aren't connected.just wait until it shows

Btw noob is back on the menu boys!!!

bumpkin

It'd be nice if they did a Playlist where it was matches with just rifles and sidearms or something.

i played gears 3 again just for comparison sake and i have to say i still like the gears 3 gunplay much better than gears 4. the gibs just feel better, i cant put my finger on it. maybe its the cracking of the screen/blood in gears 4 that ruins it. and i dont like the weapon sounds in gears 4 at all, i want that iconic torkbow sound back.

gears 4 just feels jerky atm.
Not enough zzzzz in the world for that gameplay

lmao yh thats a horrible idea. the very core of gears gnasher and wallbouncing, take either of these 2 away and it just isnt gears.

Top Bottom