• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Beta |OT| Hello Chainsaw My Old Friend, I've Come To Rev You Up Again

jay23

I repeatedly hit the A button nonstop till I get in. Trust me I was hammering the A button over 100 times in less than a minute. Eventually you'll get in. But it's super annoying right now.

Thanks, seems like making the beta open to everyone has led to some connection issues. I wasn't having this problem before today.

Thank you guys for the advice, I stuck onto my team the whole game, every game, and now the game is fun. I was lone wolfing it like an idiot... They should really emphasize on this being a team game online.

The Goat

Went back to playing UE, and man, the feel is just soooo much better. I feel with Gears 4 they are pushing the MP into something its not really meant to be. 60fps is great and all, but the compromises to get there might hurt the overall experience.

Not going to hold my breath that MP is going to make a dramatic change for the better. I guess it'll just be a campaign only game for me.

SwolBro

Banned
If 2 shotgun shots is the requirement for death and I put two in him before he put two in me, he should have died first.

eh, in a way i enjoyed the randomness of gears 1 more than i do the current setup. duels are too quick now, it's two or three shots and death.

i wish there was a way where you could battle it more with the shotguns.

Went back to playing UE, and man, the feel is just soooo much better. I feel with Gears 4 they are pushing the MP into something its not really meant to be. 60fps is great and all, but the compromises to get there might hurt the overall experience.

Not going to hold my breath that MP is going to make a dramatic change for the better. I guess it'll just be a campaign only game for me.

UE is also 60 fps. I doubt I can ever go back to UE after this beta. So stiff and no one plays anything but TDM in Europe.

UE is also 60 fps. I doubt I can ever go back to UE after this beta. So stiff and no one plays anything but TDM in Europe.

i hate that everyone only plays TDM....

also off topic but can they change kait or whatever her name is....i aint feeling the beanie and the bangs covering her eye

Marvel

could never
TC didn't disappoint me, it plays great. Looking forward to the visual and audio improvements come retail.

Hipfiring is dead on too.

Theorry

But UE is also 60fps and those compromises (dont know what you mean by that really) didnt hurt UE.

nOoblet16

I'm still staggered that after literally 10 years the multiplayer in this game hasn't changed.

Still the same broken shotgun trash it's always been. Fuck that noise.

If a single achievement requires me to play ranked matches online, I won't be buying this game.
Yea this is just utterly untrue, it's like saying there is no difference between BF4 and BF1942.

If it was the same you wouldn't have people preferring one over the other. Gears 1 plays absolutely nothing like Gears 4. Gears 1 lacks wall cancels, the emphasis on power weapons and has a completely different meta game.

One person complains Gears 4 is all about shotguns and nothing else, and another (most likely a Gears 1 fan) complains how Gears 4 is all about power weapons and heavy on it. They both cant be right and I'll tell you who is right...it's the Gears 1 fan.

If you are saying it hasn't changed because core elements remain the same then I wanna ask...what do you expect? They aren't going to have a completely different game for a follow up in a series.

nOoblet16

Honestly I cant play UE due to it's stiff and sticky movement as well as the mostly unreliable weapons. It's using the Gears 1 engine for gameplay and that is dated now, eventhough there are people who prefer it.

I do like the Longshot in Gears UE though, it's a lot more reliable than any of the later games.

i played gears 3 again just for comparison sake and i have to say i still like the gears 3 gunplay much better than gears 4. the gibs just feel better, i cant put my finger on it. maybe its the cracking of the screen/blood in gears 4 that ruins it. and i dont like the weapon sounds in gears 4 at all, i want that iconic torkbow sound back.
The reason why gibs feel better is because in Gears 2/3 when you gib someone with a shotgun their gibbed parts get sent flying backwards. It feels like there is an impact.

In Gears 1 the gibbed parts would just fall straight to ground. In Gears 4, every time you gib someone it feels like they explode internally and you barely see the gibbing. There is no push from the Shotgun impact like Gears 2/3.

nOoblet16

Are there any other rewards except hitting level 20?

I hit level 20 a few days ago and stopped playing because I got bored of the game modes and maps. When are they opening up new maps for the beta ?

m23

Are there any other rewards except hitting level 20?

I hit level 20 a few days ago and stopped playing because I got bored of the game modes and maps. When are they opening up new maps for the beta ?

They never said they were opening up new maps. How many maps were you expecting for a beta?

SwolBro

Banned
Is this what Gears 3 felt like? I only played the beta in Gears 3 and i hated it so i didn't buy it. This gears seems to play like that and it's terrible.

something about gears 1 was just so much better. Not having stupid weapon shot delays coming off roadie or a jump made the experience faster to me, more fluid and intuitive. This is a damn struggle. My reaction time is too fast for the controls, it wont let me do what i want it to do.

People say this is faster than gears 1, sure in the way that everyone dies within two shots because of active reload (netcode/dedicated servers also). The only real movement you have in this game is the wall bounce cancel, which is kind of silly. No one dashes and jumps anymore, you're good as dead if you do that.

It's a damn shame. They can't even make the shotgun sound as good as the first, no, they went with that awful sound from gears 2/3. Gears truly died after the first one.

Is this what Gears 3 felt like? I only played the beta in Gears 3 and i hated it so i didn't buy it. This gears seems to play like that and it's terrible.

something about gears 1 was just so much better. Not having stupid weapon shot delays coming off roadie or a jump made the experience faster to me, more fluid and intuitive. This is a damn struggle. My reaction time is too fast for the controls, it wont let me do what i want it to do.

People say this is faster than gears 1, sure in the way that everyone dies within two shots because of active reload (netcode/dedicated servers also). The only real movement you have in this game is the wall bounce cancel, which is kind of silly. No one dashes and jumps anymore, you're good as dead if you do that.

It's a damn shame. They can't even make the shotgun sound as good as the first, no, they went with that awful sound from gears 2/3. Gears truly died after the first one.

I really don't get why anyone would prefer Gears 1 over any sequel. I'll even take the glitchy Gears 2 over Gears 1. Gears UE really shows how outdated the first game is. Even with dedicated servers it's really inconsistent. This beta is already way better and it's the first time in a Gears game I've felt that it's about as close to fair it can get over the Internet today. Also, it's a good thing that you're as good as dead if you just dash straight towards someone and then jump. Why should that ever be a viable option in a game like this?

I'll give you the sounds though, but they've said that the sound effects are placeholders, so I hope they do massive changes in that department. The maps need work too, and I really hope that the other 6 new maps aren't as dull and samey as these three.

SwolBro

Banned
I really don't get why anyone would prefer Gears 1 over any sequel. I'll even take the glitchy Gears 2 over Gears 1. Gears UE really shows how outdated the first game is. Even with dedicated servers it's really inconsistent. This beta is already way better and it's the first time in a Gears game I've felt that it's about as close to fair it can get over the Internet today. Also, it's a good thing that you're as good as dead if you just dash straight towards someone and then jump. Why should that ever be a viable option in a game like this?

Gears 1 was definitely rough around the edges, and i'm not saying Gears 3 didn't fix some of the issues, especially with stickiness and what not. But Gears just had something different i guess. The way you actually battled someone, you jumped back and forth, like a crazy dance.

I don't like games that have very little gunplay. Gears 1, with all it's horrible inconsistencies at least had duels, and ways to get out of being outnumbered. In this game? you die too fast, even with the slower shooting. It's just frustrating. Frustrating movement. Frustrating gunplay.

bleh.

nOoblet16

Now I do get why people like long battles and I have an issue with Gears 4 shortening it even more with extra powerful Gnasher and high gib range. But the entire reason fights lasted longer in Gears 1 was because a lot of weapons were inconsistent including the Gnasher and some of them were honestly quite shit.

Edit: I never liked gears 1 Gnasher sound, it was sounded louder and echoed a lot, but also felt like it lacked a punch. Think a clap vs a bang.

I wish they had just copied Judgement's weapon balance.

As much shit as people give that game, the balance among the weapons was damn near immaculate. No active damage boost helped a lot too.

As much shit as people give that game, the balance among the weapons was damn near immaculate. No active damage boost helped a lot too.

Without the active damage boost I feel like the few weapons in the beta are pretty well balanced. Hammerburst needs a boost and dropshot needs one less ammo, but other than that it feels fairly fine in terms of damage output. They really should have put the retro lancer and buzzkill in this beta though.

Sadly I doubt they will remove active damage boost for Gears 4. They might change it back to the regular style of Gears 1-3, but I doubt they will remove it completely. There is no point whatsoever in keeping it in for multiplayer. It doesn't require any extra skill or anything like that. It's just an extra pointless thing you have to do.

There is no video game that is as satisfying as a Gears of War headshot

90fmk7k.gif

But then I got this headshot and i was like what? Alright not sure how but ill take it.

http://xboxclips.com/El+Jay2010/7ca6fbc3-1ea9-4238-afef-5c7d9a3b4a4d

You do understnad that is one of the reasons for the beta correct? even then its pretty well balanced for the most part. Things need to be tweaked though.

Hamemrburst needs buff.
Boltok needs buff
frag grenades need nerf
Torque needs to not kill people without sticking unless somebody is already hurt
Dropshot will most likely need a small nerf.

Lancer+Gnasher+Pistol+Sniper+Boom is good.

You do understnad that is one of the reasons for the beta correct? even then its pretty well balanced for the most part. Things need to be tweaked though.

Hamemrburst needs buff.
Boltok needs buff
frag grenades need nerf
Torque needs to not kill people without sticking unless somebody is already hurt
Dropshot will most likely need a small nerf.

Lancer+Gnasher+Pistol+Sniper+Boom is good.

Without the active power boost I completely agree with all of that. With it... haha, no, the gnasher is definitely not fine.

The Goat

Games feel night and day different to me. I guess it's the twitchy-ness of beta that's throwing me. Gears 4 map design is a bit uninspired at the moment. Animation of Gears 3 isn't helping either. Movement feels wrong. Weapons feel better in UE. There is an occasional missed shotgun blast, that I swear connected, but that's just Gears, hah. Have the same thing happen in beta.

I'll see how it turns out for launch.

The new active system is not that great. I think it's a step backwards to be honest. The old way seemed to reward pulling off a perfect reload mid fight or reward the lone survivor of a massive battle so they could combat more enemies if they show up. Evened the odds between maybe having less health with more damage. It makes sense.

The new way rewards the newcomers to the fight, the vultures basically, with a full clip of increased damage shots. It doesn't work and it doesn't make much sense. I would like to hear the dev rationale though. Maybe they have seen something i haven't as a long time player. The system is also arbitrary right now because you can just spam reload until you get it right. No real punishment and when you do get it right you have a full clip if active reload shots.

Without the active power boost I completely agree with all of that. With it... haha, no, the gnasher is definitely not fine.

Then id recommend you go to the Gears of War forums and tell them what you think they should do to balance it. That is what this beta is for, and theyre not coming to neogaf for feedback.

i as well as many others do agree about the new active system though. Not a big fan of it, but it isnt as bad as i originally thought it would be.

Then id recommend you go to the Gears of War forums and tell them what you think they should do to balance it. That is what this beta is for, and theyre not coming to neogaf for feedback.

i as well as many others do agree about the new active system though. Not a big fan of it, but it isnt as bad as i originally thought it would be.

They won't remove the active power boost. This game was the perfect opportunity to do it, but instead they made a worse system. For some reason they really want it to be part of the multiplayer.

Ballistik

The new way rewards the newcomers to the fight, the vultures basically, with a full clip of increased damage shots. It doesn't work and it doesn't make much sense. I would like to hear the dev rationale though. Maybe they have seen something i haven't as a long time player. The system is also arbitrary right now because you can just spam reload until you get it right. No real punishment and when you do get it right you have a full clip if active reload shots.

This I have to agree with entirely. Make that meter drain as soon as you hit reload. Whether you get it right or miss it, you shouldn't have another opportunity to get actives until that meter fills up.

They won't remove the active power boost. This game was the perfect opportunity to do it, but instead they made a worse system. For some reason they really want it to be part of the multiplayer.

Active Reloads are fine. Most people are fine with AR, they however are not fine with being able to AR at any given time.

Active Reloads are fine. Most people are fine with AR, they however are not fine with being able to AR at any given time.

Active reloads would be fine if it only gave you a quicker reload. Getting a power boost as well is ridiculous and doesn't add anything worthwhile to the multiplayer.

Active reloads would be fine if it only gave you a quicker reload. Getting a power boost as well is ridiculous and doesn't add anything worthwhile to the multiplayer.

Many would disagree with you. Its been a discussed topic on Gears forums for years and years. They keep it in because its pretty well liked within the community. While there is some that certainly agree with you, there is a lot that doesnt.

Naked Lunch

Tried this. Talk about a multiplayer that hasnt evolved a day past 2006's Gears 1. The problem is - it wasnt good back then either.

Many would disagree with you. Its been a discussed topic on Gears forums for years and years. They keep it in because its pretty well liked within the community. While there is some that certainly agree with you, there is a lot that doesnt.

I really don't understand the appeal of it. Waste some shots so that you can get the perfect active reload just before a fight. Rinse and repeat. Might as well just make the power boost the default level and remove the perfect active if people are so desperate for more powerful weapons. The game would be much better without that extra power though imo. Having a sniper gnasher isn't my idea of fun.

I really don't understand the appeal of it. Waste some shots so that you can get the perfect active reload just before a fight. Rinse and repeat. Might as well just make the power boost the default level and remove the perfect active if people are so desperate for more powerful weapons. The game would be much better without that extra power though imo. Having a sniper gnasher isn't my idea of fun.

I dont see many people wasting shots at the beginning of the matches. I feel speed is much more important at the beginning as you want to get to power weapons and position yourself quickly.

And people dont waste shots for actives often outside of the beginning of the match.

The appeal is risk/reward.

Anyways, i would say that I like how its setup in Gears4 where its a smaller boost than previous games. Its just i dont care for the active whenever you want mechanic. Itll certainly be removed/tweaked on final release since it doesnt seem the community is taking to it to well. Then again i havent checked the forums in a few days, so maybe opinions are changing, idk.

Just had a quick look through the Gears of War forums and, as anyone who has been entrenched in the scene for the last 10 years will tell you, it's a predictable bloodbath off differing opinions and insults.

No one can agree on how this game/series should be balanced.

I'm very intrigued to see how The Coalition tackle feedback from the beta. They've got a lot of big decisions right but there's plenty I feel they need to take back to the drawing board.

How they tweak the Gnasher, deal with actives and balance time-to-kill moving forward will make or break the game for me.

SwolBro

Banned
Im very intrigued to see how The Coalition tackle feedback from the beta. They've got a lot of big decisions right but there's plenty I feel they need to take back to the drawing board.

That's the consensus i got as well. It's just not good enough, in any direction. I can't help but imagine that even the people that loved Gears 3 would get bored of this game quickly.

Dynasty

Just had a quick look through the Gears of War forums and, as anyone who has been entrenched in the scene for the last 10 years will tell you, it's a predictable bloodbath off differing opinions and insults.

No one can agree on how this game/series should be balanced.

I'm very intrigued to see how The Coalition tackle feedback from the beta.

Just read the first page and then skipped to page 13. 1st page with Gnasher not being good and lancer being too good and inescapable, 13th page Gnasher too good and lancer too weak. I honestly feel sorry for them, there will be backlash no matter what. Atleast they mostly agree on AR needing to be changed.

That's the consensus i got as well. It's just not good enough, in any direction. I can't help but imagine that even if the people that loved Gears 3 would get bored of this game quickly.

Me and my friends are still enjoying the beta. They will balance the weapons and change the active system, but I doubt they will make any other major changes. The new features work great and the game feels much more consistent than any other Gears.

My main concern is the maps. They can't have 9 maps of this quality and then Gridlock. That's really not going to cut it.

Top Bottom