• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - hopes, fears and expectations

Deviousx

30FPS campaign/60FPS multiplayer
Horde mode
Split-screen
Theatre
An actual competitive ranking system for MP please!
Dedicated servers
Amazing, lengthy campaign
Graphics. Bells & whistles.

There is just so much The Coalition can do to make this the best Gears of War yet. My list can go on and on. I just want this game to last as long as possible for me. A competitive ranking system comparable to Halo or Counter Strike would be nice that way I have a reason to come back and play the MP. I still play GOW: UE from time to time and rock some MP but I'm not exactly going full try-hard mode. Grinding with the homies to escape the Platinum cesspool in Halo 5 is a lot of fun. lol

The reveal at E3 didn't really do much for me. But it's still incredibly early so The Coalition still have a lot of time to impress me.

Don't care about he single player but I put hundreds of hours into gears 3 KOTH. Just bring that mode and the quality maps back and the movement and the weapons...but in 60 FPS on dedicated servers. Keep stopping power too. In fact, any change from Judgment, just reverse it.

faint.

I picked up an XB1 recently for GoW UE and have been playing the hell out of it. It's quite faithful to the original, but my worry is that GoW4 will take after UE as opposed to GoW3. GoW3, with some relatively small fixes, would undoubtedly be the best Gears game to date. Now I'm primarily speaking from a multiplayer perspective, but I also believe GoW3 had the best campaign. It also had a fuckton of replayability due to all of the unlockables (you can't unlock weapon skins in GoW UE.... disgusting).

Here's what I want improved from GoW3 --> GoW4:

- Stopping power toggle for private matches (eliminated from public competitive playlists)
- Fixed, tested, and consistent hitboxes (think savage kantus, anya, sam, etc....)
- Sniper glitch fix that caused you to zoom into a wall at times
- No gimmick maps with silly features (forces of nature effects)
- There are more but I'm blanking. It's been a while since I've played GoW3.

Improvements from Judgement --> GoW4:

- Make the game nothing like it. No falling off tall ledges, cog vs cog, episodic campaign, horrible weapons, and much more. I try to pretend it never happened.

doicare

This is a really easy one... FIX THE GOD DAMN LAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gears Of War is hands down my favourite multiplayer game of all time, i've put 1000's of hours in to it & every time a new one comes out you have to put up with varying degrees of horrendous lag. Gears 3 & Judgement weren't too bad but Gears 1, 2 & Ultimate edition were lagfests.

m23

Give me campaign like Gears 1, Horde like Gears 2, and mp like Gears 3.

Campaign from Gears 1 is still the best in the series for me, very intense and very survival horror like. Gears 2 strayed away from that and 3 much further. The E3 demo showed they are going back to that dark atompsphere so things are looking up, we'll just have to see how the encounters hold up.

Gears 2 still has the best horde mode for me. It was at it's core a survival mode, unlike 3 where it was just something else, too much was thrown in. In 2 you had to rely on your team to have your back, and it required a lot of communication and improvising. Nothing was better than collecting boomer shields and building a wall to keep enemies out of a particular area...that was until the guys who were able to break the walls started coming in. Gears 3 horde was great but it didn't come close to 2 when it came to certain things. It became more of a who can get more money and build better equipment.

On the mp side, 3 was hands down the best for me. Shotguns were still just as deadly as before but putting more emphasis on the lancer and hammerburst was something that worked in my eyes. Retro was op as well as the sawed off shotgun, but overall the gameplay was great. The movement, the tagging system, the dedicated servers, it all just came together to make a great mp game.

I trust coalition with the next installment and having Rod Ferguson on board is a huge plus and gives me confidence. Gears UE was phenomenal, but the real test will be Gears 4. Can't wait.

leeh

Campaign like 3, multiplayer a mix of 3 and 1.

I really hope they don't change the formula. There's no other game which is anything like Gears, it's so competitive and infuriating.

Fix the Gnasher, in UE it's so inconsistent.

Remove the sawn-off, for the love of god.

Keep the maps like they were in GoW 1/3, symmetrical.

Please no P2P fallback like there were in 3 either.

All I want is a fun campaign and a great hoard mode. Gears 3 was one of the best gaming experiences of my life because of Hoard 2.0.

I have no hate for gears 3 and it's lush and colourful graphics but I really want 4 to return to the dark shadows and darker palette of gears 1, the first gears game felt like a real struggle and survival among the horrors of the night.

I'm sorry but what?
Just the fact that the shotgun has centre aim but switches to barrel aim in close proximity makes it the worst out of any game because of lack of consistency.

Even though centre aim in Gears 1 was stupid it was consistent in that it won't switch to barrel aim once you pass an imaginary line and back.

I like the Gnasher in UE - even though it isn't perfect it's been very consistent for me. Judgment had a similar system if I remember correctly.

Gears of War 3 had my favourite Gnasher, it just felt great to use and I prefer barrel aiming myself, but it had too much range and damage. Combined with some of the weird hit boxes you could come up against (such as Savage Kantus), it felt a bit inconsistent at times.

Personally I'd like to see a return of the Gears of War 3 shotgun with some adjustments.

Trago

The E3 demo was great in this regard. Hell, it was even more dark than all other gears.

Which is why I don't get it when people were complaining about the E3 demo. It was very similar to the factory level from Gears 1, c'ept with windy trees instead of rain.

ViciousDS

Banned
No stopping power.

No retro or sawed off (not happening)

A refocus on elimination gametypes

The speed of gears 3.

No planted frags.

No active snipe down.

Horde 3.0 for coop

This is all i want

Oh and no judgement BS cog vs cog
cog vs locust or fuck off

Active snipe down I Thought was removed in the ultimate edition. I don't think I ever saw anyone shot down in one go.

I think Active reloading is fine. But that stupid damage bonus needs to go. I don't like wasting half my clip running to a spot every round in order to one up people. Active reload just needs to provide pressure of reloading in a gun fight. It doesn't need to make the gun op as fuck. I hated pulling a gnasher out blasting someone point blank only to get Active blasted right back because for some odd reason it wasn't 100% to kill someone that close with the shotgun

Which is why I don't get it when people were complaining about the E3 demo. It was very similar to the factory level from Gears 1, c'ept with windy trees instead of rain.

Despite describing it as a somewhat flaccid presentation, which I think you can argue it was, as a fan I was left really satisfied.

New characters, new monsters, the return of a horror-esque atmosphere and old favourites the lancer and the Gnasher.

It was Gears, but different, which is something I really appreciated.

I'm desperate for some new news about it.

Edit: Active down was removed shortly after release, thank god. It should have never reappeared.

I'm skeptical of active reload damage boost, that can go. But I hope Stopping Power stays. I like that people can't just hold the A button and rush in blindly on a Hill we captured and we set up to defend. You wanna get in on us with your gnasher? Use your smoke grenade, you spawn with one. It'll cover your approach and may even stun us. Use the environment, flank around. Grab a power weapon to break up encampments. Use the great Gears 3 mechanics to bounce and move quickly in and around cover. Coordinate your team to go two on the left, three on the right to split up the defense. There are so many things you can do as an actually good Gears of War player to get around the rifles actually being viable for once. And when you get in, the Gnasher is as good as its ever been, with consistent shots from the barrel and better netcode to recognize the hits.

leeh

Active snipe down I Thought was removed in the ultimate edition. I don't think I ever saw anyone shot down in one go.
It was removed after the beta feedback, which was weird, as everyone was begging for it to be removed in the original, but they never did.

m23

I think for people who played a lot of Gears, might have liked the demo at e3, whereas in terms of bringing new people in, I don't think the demo did well in that regard.

My biggest fear is The Coalition putting this out without a Horde mode, or perhaps only making some sort of half-assed alternative. The fact that Judgement and the Gears 1 remaster both shipped without it kind of scares me. I hope they're not forgetting how important it was to the package. Horde mode 2.0 was seriously one of my favorite gaming experiences from last gen and I don't know if I can get excited for another Gears without it.

My biggest fear is The Coalition putting this out without a Horde mode, or perhaps only making some sort of half-assed alternative. The fact that Judgement and the Gears 1 remaster both shipped without it kind of scares me. I hope they're not forgetting how important it was to the package. Horde mode 2.0 was seriously one of my favorite gaming experiences from last gen and I don't know if I can get excited for another Gears without it.

This. They will have me by the nuts if they ship with a legit Horde mode

I'm skeptical of active reload damage boost, that can go. But I hope Stopping Power stays. I like that people can't just hold the A button and rush in blindly on a Hill we captured and we set up to defend. You wanna get in on us with your gnasher? Use your smoke grenade, you spawn with one. It'll cover your approach and may even stun us. Use the environment, flank around. Grab a power weapon to break up encampments. Use the great Gears 3 mechanics to bounce and move quickly in and around cover. Coordinate your team to go two on the left, three on the right to split up the defense. There are so many things you can do as an actually good Gears of War player to get around the rifles actually being viable for once. And when you get in, the Gnasher is as good as its ever been, with consistent shots from the barrel and better netcode to recognize the hits.

Stopping power has divided people since its introduction. I've been playing from the very beginning and don't mind either way but there's no way you can please the entire community.

Gears of War 3 had stopping power in addition to a very quick 'time to kill'. People talk about the Retro, which was indeed broken, but often forget about the Lancer which had a headshot multiplier as well.

In the original game and Ultimate Edition the rifles are used as suppressing weapons or killing tools when used in conjunction with other players.

In Gears of War 3 they are able to kill easily by themselves which collides against the Gnasher-heavy gameplay that many play the series to enjoy.

It's a tough one.

M52B28

Banned
More weight to the character, and more impact-ful shotgun.

I hope they make Gears of War 3 play like Ultimate Edition. It has the weight of Gears of War 1, but the fluidity of Gears of War 3. All they need to add is omnidirectional movement.

Gears was never a horror game.

Do people call Medal of Honor games horror?

Gears of War was never a full fledged horror game, but they tried to fit in horror elements, especially in the first one. I appreciate it, and I wouldn't remind its return.

A couple minor things I hope for are:

- No weapon shrinking for small characters, it always looked stupid when the lancer shrunk on a smaller character's back and floated behind the model instead of being attached to it.

- Since skins are probably coming back and the lancer has a wood stock now please have that wood change on skins.

- DON'T FUCKING LOCK A BETA SKIN TO EARLY ACCESS.

- DON'T MAKE ANY RETAILER EXCLUSIVE PREORDER CONTENT.

- FUCK OFF IF SERIOUSLY 4.0 IS EVEN MORE RIDICULOUS THEN 3.0.

Some not so minor things:

- Create your own Gear/Locust/New Enemy character + customization.

- Horde for both factions COG/New baddies.

More weight to the character, and more impact-ful shotgun.

I hope they make Gears of War 3 play like Ultimate Edition. It has the weight of Gears of War 1, but the fluidity of Gears of War 3. All they need to add is omnidirectional movement.

I love UE, which already has omnidirectional movement, but it's nowhere as smooth as Gears of War 3 in my opinion.

The wall cancel is a big miss if you ask me.

As far as active reload damage boost goes, it absolutely should not return. It's one of the biggest missteps in the entire series in my opinion and does nothing but result in horrible weapon inconsistency. Take the Gnasher for instance. It's been the biggest culprit in terms of active damage boost abuse, to the point where you have people firing shots out of their Gnasher in the spawn to get the damage boost when they reach the middle of the map. It's one of the more ridiculous mechanics in the game and removing it is nothing but a benefit. Having no active boost is one of my biggest desires for Gears 4. Judgment finally did away with the boost and it's no coincidence that it had the best weapon balance among the entire series.

Stopping power is somewhat in the same vein. In the situation you describe it makes sense, and in general stopping power is a solid idea but in practice it's pretty bad. Alot of the time it's inconsistent in how it works, like when you're being hit from the side and you're slowed to a crawl. I'm sure it could be balanced and adjusted to be a fine mechanic but, personally, I feel like it shouldn't return just for the sake of consistency. I'm not a fan of those that just press left on the d-pad when they spawn and rush in without a care but I think stopping power just causes more problems than it prevents. I think being aware of your surroundings and working with your team to pin people down is much more reasonable then trying to make up the difference with stopping power.

In the end, I think both of them present problems in balancing. When you have them in play there's a lot of tiptoeing that has to be done to make sure no weapon is doing more than it should be able to, which just results in wild swings in weapon power or just straight up inconsistencies. The Lancer in Gears 3 is a good example, as it's a pretty modest weapon at it base but once you throw actives and stopping power on to it it becomes an absolute monster. That's just bad for the game in my opinion. I'd rather have weapons that perform consistently across the board so that I know what both mine and my opponent's weapons are capable of and I can do what's most beneficial in any given situation.

Stopping power has divided people since its introduction. I've been playing from the very beginning and don't mind either way but there's no way you can please the entire community.

Gears of War 3 had stopping power in addition to a very quick 'time to kill'. People talk about the Retro, which was indeed broken, but often forget about the Lancer which had a headshot multiplier as well.

In the original game and Ultimate Edition the rifles are used as suppressing weapons or killing tools when used in conjunction with other players.

In Gears of War 3 they are able to kill easily by themselves which collides against the Gnasher-heavy gameplay that many play the series to enjoy.

It's a tough one.

Its just so one dimensional, ya know? Every time you spawn in Gears 1, you just press left on the d-pad cuz the rifles are completely irrelevant. Everybody rushes in without any real thought to rifle set-ups. The stopping power didn't nerf the Gnasher play, they just made it less braindead. Its an option, instead of being the only option. I think it makes for a more well-rounded, tactical game. I hate to see them lose that cuz Gears 1 pros can't hold the A button and rush in blindly on a hill they just lost. You wanna play Gears 1 forever, you got UE.

Courage

Its just so one dimensional, ya know? Every time you spawn in Gears 1, you just press left on the d-pad cuz the rifles are completely irrelevant. Everybody rushes in without any real thought to rifle set-ups. The stopping power didn't nerf the Gnasher play, they just made it less braindead. Its an option, instead of being the only option. I think it makes for a more well-rounded, tactical game. I hate to see them lose that cuz Gears 1 pros can't hold the A button and rush in blindly on a hill they just lost. You wanna play Gears 1 forever, you got UE.
That's a good point. I think Halo 5 did a good job with weapon balancing so if Coalition do the same I don't think I'll end up minding at the end.

farisr

After that E3 demo, I decided on not hoping for anything. Just didn't find it all that interesting.

I felt the same way after Halo 5's campaign demonstration and held out hope that the actual game would be better, but my gut was right. Gonna trust my instincts this time around.

Have the game preordered at 30% off. Will play it once (or twice if someone wants to co-op) and sell it off to make all my money back (or possibly even a profit). That's my intention anyways. If the game turns out to be compelling (which I would love), I'll keep it. But again not hoping for anything.

LQX

Hope. They change it up. MS seems to want these new studies they set up to take over their old franchises to make carbon copies of the games that appeared on 360. Let them take a chance.

Fear. They will go for carbon copy of the past games. Seriously. The games are outdated. We don't need the same shit but running on XBox One, we already got that with Gears Of War Ultimate Edition.

Expectations. It will be the same Gears of War we got on the 360 and the with the just released remaster and if that is the case I wont be buying day one.

pizzacat

Banned
No stopping power.

No retro or sawed off (not happening)

A refocus on elimination gametypes

The speed of gears 3.

No planted frags.

No active snipe down.

Horde 3.0 for coop

This is all i want

Oh and no judgement BS cog vs cog
cog vs locust or fuck off
No stopping power plus the speed of gears 3 would bring us back to square one with having shotgun being the only viable option.

And like op said before stopping power lancers were coordinated attacks if you wanted people down. Not everyone has that option for coordination, I'm thinking it can stay but there needs to be a trade off in dmg, hammer burst deals the most dmg faster but has less stopping power since it's one shot at a time.

Hope. They change it up. MS seems to want these new studies they set up to take over their old franchises to make carbon copies of the games that appeared on 360. Let them take a chance.

Fear. They will go for carbon copy of the past games. Seriously. The games are outdated. We don't need the same shit but running on XBox One, we already got that with Gears Of War Ultimate Edition.

Expectations. It will be the same Gears of War we got on the 360 and the with the just released remaster and if that is the case I wont be buying day one.

What do you want to see them do?

No stopping power plus the speed of gears 3 would bring us back to square one with having shotgun being the only viable option.

They are ways to prevent this without needing stopping power though. Making rifles more effective at covering open areas and making suppressing fire something that's relatively strong would help a lot. Map design is another big one and one that I think other Gears game have failed at. Having viable areas around the map for both rifle and shotgun play is a must for future Gears maps. In the past it's usually been one or the other on most maps.

quickwhips

I hope it's not gears 3 but I did like free for all from judgement so I hope that mode makes it in.
Fix the bullshit rapid fire controller issue and no active reloads damage boost

Return to the glory of the original multiplayer modes. No respawn!!!!! They chased the halo and cod crowd and UEs multiplayer was already so dead that they had to remove most of the modes from competitive to make matchmaking quicker. I have no faith that this will happen and as such will probably not be buying gears 4 despite being a huge gears fan.

I hope it's not gears 3 but I did like free for all from judgement so I hope that mode makes it in.
Fix the bullshit rapid fire controller issue and no active reloads damage boost

I didn't like FFA at all - it just feels wrong in a team-based game like Gears though I understand the appeal.

Bring back meat flag!

Grisby

Gears 3 mp, stopping power and all.

More horror like and tons of new stuff. Don't pull a halo 4, go all out with it.

I believe in Rod and The Coalition, I also think that they will have spent a while looking at how 343 have handled Halo and will be sure not to make the same mistakes they have. They have started well with UE where I really liked the art direction and remade textures, it looks great, also the beta being an open one (which H5 didn't have) is a good start to make sure as many people can play it as possible.

The first game from a new studio (original game) will always have a tight schedule I reckon so something will have to give either in the breadth of multiplayer or length of the campaign, they are a big studio though so perhaps I'm wrong.

Gears 3 mechanics and features should be the basis for the game as that was awesome, they need to keep features like 4 player co-op, arcade mode, horde base building and so on.

The stat tracking for achievements in UE is bizarrely awful, there are clearly achievement counters but they do not work in tandem wit the achievements app nor are they in the War Journal, its weird and annoying.

I actually think if you want a darker campaign then Gears 2 should be the base, it had amazing set pieces (Jacinto and the Brumak thing at the end namely) and also I loved the section with the Sires which was creepy and really hit the vibe they were going for imo.

Also don't make Seriously 4.0 only available for competitive multiplayer matches, I want it to be all modes like 2/3.

There is plenty more I could write but i'd be here all day, I love Gears and think that TC will do a good job in bringing it back, then its up to Microsoft to make the right decisions around betas, DLC, SE/LE and console bundles, I don't recommend they go for a $449/$499 custom console personally.

I love Horde though, don't fuck that up please

Duxxy3

I hate the new skinny characters. I loved the walking tanks.

One of my favorite things to do in the series is in Gears 3 when you get to control Cole. I just randomly start jumping around until he goes "Woo". This behemoth of a person jumping around like a little kid just cracks me up.

Top Bottom