• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - hopes, fears and expectations

Am I the only person that enjoyed Overrun?

I hated everything else about Judgement tho.

Campaign in Judgment in decent but I loved Overrun, I really hope they keep it in 4. Have regular competitive MP, horde co-op mode and class-based Overrun as the three pillars

It was much better than Beast mode in Gears 3 by a long way

Am I the only person that enjoyed Overrun?

I hated everything else about Judgement tho.

I enjoyed OverRun, although it could have been a lot deeper in terms of classes/abilities. I'm sure it could be amazing with more refinement and iteration. The biggest issue though is that it requires it's own maps to work and that was a pretty big problem for Judgment.

I just hope something is done about wall bouncing. OK sure its part of the game but bounce/twist/shoot/bounce/twist. It looks stupid, it is stupid. It was never a thing in GoW and must have turned up as people played late on or GoW2.

I don't believe I saw it as much in GoWJ either. Something just needs to be tweeked.

Story needs tk be epic, movie like. Let it have slow scenes or interactive levels with nothing happening. Add a few mixups. Drone control, stealth, recon then attack. Set pieces. Things like that. If all my part is cover based shooter, it'll be dry in this day and age.

Lastly, release a fucking sexy Elite Controller pack.

BKG

Banned
I wouldn't mind a horror esque Gears, but co-op needs to be bombastic and expanded upon. I miss horde, I was hoping Battlefront was going to have an awesome horde like mode, but theirs is really boring and simplistic.

I think people wanting to see something drastically different will be disappointed. At E3 Fergusson said that the team is embracing what Gears of War is and if that means they have a smaller audience then so be it.

'Chainsaws aren't for everyone but they're for us'.

He also went onto say that what Gears of War lacks in breath it will make up for in depth.

I think it's a great attitude to have. Nothing else plays like Gears of War and that should be maintained (though I am sure it will evolve somewhat).

Bgamer90

Banned
Seems like they are all in when it comes to going back to the dark(er) style/presentation of the first Gears of War so I'm excited.

Just give me a good campaign with that style + Horde mode and I'll pretty much be set.

I think people wanting to see something drastically different will be disappointed. At E3 Fergusson said that the team is embracing what Gears of War is and if that means they have a smaller audience then so be it.

'Chainsaws aren't for everyone but they're for us'.

He also went onto say that what Gears of War lacks in breath it will make up for in depth.

I think it's a great attitude to have. Nothing else plays like Gears of War and that should be maintained (though I am sure it will evolve somewhat).
This sounds excellent. Gears is still a premier multiplayer shooter because of the insanely satisfying kills and the skill gap. They need to be careful not to cheapen the experience.

Hopes:
Gears 3 levels of speed
Retro lancer is back
Sawed off is not
Multiple selectable executions for weapons
Horde mode is expanded upon with an editor ala Halo reach firefight
Campaign features the UIR in their rad as hell suits
Metal Gear Rising blade mode with chainsaws
Wall planted frags go away
Fears:
The new main character doesn't really look like a Gears character, he kinda just looks like a football player, they don't necessarily need to make him as beefy as Marcus and Co. but beef him up a little bit.
The game supposedly went into development January on 2014, that means it's on a two year dev cycle if it really is coming out in Winter of this year
Expectations:
I already know it can't be as bad as 343s butchering of Halo 4 since they've made the wise decision not to destroy Gears 3s ending like Halo 4 did with Halo 3. This along with their pretty good handling of the Remaster makes me have some confidence in their abilities to make a Gears game. At least they seemingly haven't hired "A bunch of people who hate Gears Of War". I think it'll probably have the most refined multiplayer but the Campaign really will be a crapshoot.

I'm easy to please. Gears of War UE was a great remake of GoW 1 but Gears 3 had so many improvements that it's difficult to go back.

I would say keep the new weapons. Retro and sawed off are too easy to beat so they can stay. Marksa as a pick up if they keep it. I also like the one bolt action rifle. It was fun and satisfying.
Keep the Hammerburst. I'm not sure if I prefer the gears 2 or 3 version though.
Executions are a must. Getting rid of them and Cog vs. Locust was a huge unnecessary mistake. I love all the variations they added through the years. Also I would like character specific ones too.
TDM is fun but it needs the Gears twists. That's what makes Gears so fresh, it has the tradition modes with twists.
Continue making improvements to the movement. They've done great work smoothing it out from its clunky origins.
Keep the active reload damage boost but tone it down. It should be minor but still a nice reward.
Get rid of stopping power. Gears is about movement, don't slow it down.
For the love of Christ don't get rid of executions.

Just keep it Gears and with continual improvement

My biggest worry is that it will pull a Halo 5 and focus on a microtransaction/consumable/card based multiplayer mode at the expense of a bunch of other traditional maps and modes.

And sadly I think that worry has a pretty good chance of coming true.

pizzacat

Banned
I feel like the coalition can change gears for the better, I think their addition of blitz is a better mode than its predecessor, what they did to execution is misguided, and they at least know people like to use gnasher enough for there to be a mode dedicated to it.

Also they gotta bring Paduk, automatic ammo pickup, and nothing else probably?

They are ways to prevent this without needing stopping power though. Making rifles more effective at covering open areas and making suppressing fire something that's relatively strong would help a lot. Map design is another big one and one that I think other Gears game have failed at. Having viable areas around the map for both rifle and shotgun play is a must for future Gears maps. In the past it's usually been one or the other on most maps.
What the devs intend is not what always happens on map design.

Look at a match of Raven down on gears 3, it becomes a standoff on elimination game modes everytime. If you rush in anywhere with shotgun you're melted, such a small map being turned into a rifle heavy match.

I feel like if anything the maps have encouraged more and more variety. The DLC maps to gears 3 especially

krang

I fear for Gears.

Much like 343i, The Coalition have a franchise on their hands that means different things to different people. They won't (can't) please everybody, and those who don't like stuff will be overly critical and blame the new devs. That hatred will be far more vocal than the appreciation, and will become ubiquitous with the game's name.

I'm sure I'll love it, though.

I really dont think 60fps MP is going to happen. And IMO a 3rd Person shooter really doesnt need it.

Im playing Gears UE the last couple of days and my hopes for MP would be more variety in MP. Not only Gnasher Gnasher Gnasher. And please dont fuck up the hitdetection etc like in Gears UE. I want a constant Gnasher at least.

Horde needs to be back.

I wonder when we will see some MP footage. I mean the Beta is planned for Spring.

Oh and please no Microtransaction shit alle Req packs or whatever. I rather pay for Addons.

pizzacat

Banned
60 has to happen, going back to 3 is jarring to say the least unless it's still broken on the one other than input lag

I think 60 FPS for multiplayer is happening. Halo does it now, a Uncharted does it now, they don't want to be left behind of that front. Like UC4 they can make the campaign 30fps for the pretty visuals and split screen

Well, the good thing is we only have to wait a few more months for the Multiplayer Beta (assuming it doesn't get delayed) to see how it plays. The one thing it needs to be, is consistent (MP I am talking about). A problem previous titles have had issues with. I am definitely eager to try the Beta this spring. Gears of War UE players get early access, which I am assuming means it will go open Beta shortly after for everyone.

Nein, gears was a million times worse than halo about map packs and splitting the community so if (fair)Micro-transactions are needed to get free maps then so be it.

Yes, dear god, yes. This is among the things I want most out of Gears 4. I'll buy a season pass of skins and characters if I have to, I don't care, just don't break up the player base by selling maps.

Cyborg

Hope: I want to fight the Gods of Egypt
Fear: The fact that it still isnt announced is a bit strange.

Draconian

I think 60 FPS for multiplayer is happening. Halo does it now, a Uncharted does it now, they don't want to be left behind of that front. Like UC4 they can make the campaign 30fps for the pretty visuals and split screen

It has to. If UE has it, there's no excuse for 4 not to.

I wish they wouldn't do retailer exclusives but, I think that's completely up to Microsoft and I doubt they care one way or the other. I think TC is pretty receptive to the negativity towards it though. There was quite a bit of it with UE.

Apenheul

Having just played Gears of War Ultimate Edition again I hope for the following:

- 2 player split screen coop is in
- Insane difficulty is unlocked from the start
- Better AI for the squad (heal me damned!) and flocking dynamics of enemies
- No Junker-ish segment
- Less parts where players split paths
- Interesting environmental elements like staying in the light in the first game

pizzacat

Banned
I wish they wouldn't do retailer exclusives but, I think that's completely up to Microsoft and I doubt they care one way or the other. I think TC is pretty receptive to the negativity towards it though. There was quite a bit of it with UE.
I don't even know if it's possible to get savage drone, golden hunter, golden miner in the states. Not to mention other places.

I had all gears 3 and judgment ones due to connections and winning them off tourneys in the gears forums

Tbh I haven't even seen a savage drone

I wouldn't mind it too much (aside from aggressive retailer exclusives), if it meant free map packs. If they do a RNG system like Halo 5 with regards to Character & Weapon Skin unlocks then that would be great. It would mean everyone could play every map and playlist without relegating them to only people who bought the map packs. I am not against map packs, I bought everyone of them for every Gears game including Judgement. I just don't like the idea of a fragmented community. I hope Gears 4 sells as well as Gears 1 - 3 (6+ million copies) as it would mean a pretty healthy online population.

pizzacat

Banned
I wouldn't mind have a customizable gear like KI does with its characters. Or from what I played of UC4, it's customizable system.

I want to play as Marcus without his doorag but his armor stays on, or big rig dizzy with the cowboy hat on, or Jace without the dreads, the design of his dreads he has is dumb lol

I wouldn't mind have a customizable gear like KI does with its characters. Or from what I played of UC4, it's customizable system.

I want to play as Marcus without his doorag but his armor stays on, or big rig dizzy with the cowboy hat on, or Jace without the dreads, the design of his dreads he has is dumb lol

Yes, I have been hoping for something like that since Gears 1. A full character customization system would be fantastic. It would make every player look and feel unique instead of clones running around the maps.

krang

I really dont think 60fps MP is going to happen. And IMO a 3rd Person shooter really doesnt need it.

Im playing Gears UE the last couple of days and my hopes for MP would be more variety in MP. Not only Gnasher Gnasher Gnasher. And please dont fuck up the hitdetection etc like in Gears UE. I want a constant Gnasher at least.

Horde needs to be back.

I wonder when we will see some MP footage. I mean the Beta is planned for Spring.

Oh and please no Microtransaction shit alle Req packs or whatever. I rather pay for Addons.

So putting maps/modes behind paywalls and dividing the community is more preferable? What am I reading? I thought we'd moved on from that shite.

REQ pack-type stuff on Horde could work really well, with cosmetic unlocks to PvP. Bringing out the right REQs at the right time in Horde would make a bigger tactical difference than in Warzone. I fully expect that implementation, actually.

An awesome Horde mode.
Continued and improved Bot support.
60 fps MP.
Lots of new weapons (let's not keep using the same shit forever).
Cog vs Locusts MP. Not cog v cog shit. Let's just forget about that last game.
Put the controls back to Gears 3 (fuck Judgement).
4 player coop campaign.
No micro trans (yeah right, I can dream...)

My biggest worry is that it will pull a Halo 5 and focus on a microtransaction/consumable/card based multiplayer mode at the expense of a bunch of other traditional maps and modes.

And sadly I think that worry has a pretty good chance of coming true.

I hope not but that seems to be the way things are going.

hawk2025

So putting maps/modes behind paywalls and dividing the community is more preferable? What am I reading? I thought we'd moved on from that shite.

REQ pack-type stuff on Horde could work really well, with cosmetic unlocks to PvP. Bringing out the right REQs at the right time in Horde would make a bigger tactical difference than in Warzone. I fully expect that implementation, actually.

That sounds absolutely terrible. Lord.

My main hopes are for a solid, well-paced, fun campaign that refreshes the series and adds cool mechanics to the basic TPS formula. A Horde mode absolutely and 100% free of consumables, burn cards, or any type of RNG save for at worse cosmetic items. If they can nail that, I'm totally in.

Moofers

Horde Mode Deluxe.
A thousand times THIS. Horde is my favorite part and the reason I will buy an Xbone when this game launches. I really want it to be good. Basically if they can recreate the Gears 3 mode and double thr fortification options, I'll be in heaven. :)

Dabanton

Just make it scary and imposing like the first game. That's why the first game is still the best one imo.

The general feeling that this really was the last stand was palpable throughout that game.

From that demo put together for E3 I liked how dark things were, fuck around with the player some more.

Top Bottom