• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Horde 3.0 Details

Nori Chan

Read here to learn more about Classes, Skills, Progression, etc.

Once again, Horde pits you and up to four friends against 50 waves of enemies in a fight for survival. You’ll need to build defenses – called fortifications – to aid in your survival, and work together to come out alive.

Every 10 waves, you’ll face a Boss Wave, which includes the toughest, biggest, baddest enemies in the game. If you were watching at PAX, you haven’t seen them all. You’ll have to play the game to see the rest. After every 10 waves, a new poison is introduced that ups enemy health, damage or accuracy.

One of the main focuses of Horde 3.0 is the return to emergent gameplay. We’re putting the power and decision making back in the hands of the player by allowing you to build fortifications where you want and when you want, and move those fortifications at any time during gameplay.

This is all unlocked via the Fabricator, a new device in the Gears of War universe that is a take on a 3D Printer. The Fabricator must be placed at the start of the game wherever you choose. It should act as the hub of your defenses, and you can move the fabricator to any location at any time throughout a game.. The choice is entirely in the player’s hands. The Fabricator is how you build fortifications by using Energy – picked up from fallen enemies on the battlefield – to construct your base. The Fabricator cannot be destroyed or harmed in any way, so the only thing that has to survive in Horde is you.

Speaking of survival, if a team-mate dies, they'll drop COG Tags. You can pick these up and run back to the Fabricator to revive them during the wave - but be warned, each subsequent revival on your team during a wave will cost an increasing amount of Energy. Thankfully, make it to the end of the Wave and all your dead team-mates will return.

Engineer:
Starting Weapons: Enforcer, Gnasher, Snub
Passive Ability: Start with free Repair Tool

The role of the Engineer is to focus on fortifications – they can build more than any other class due to their discounts, make their fortifications more effective and repair fortifications faster at a lower cost.

It will be up to the player to decide how to build the Engineer. Do you want to have a varied defense by building lots of fortifications at reduced Energy Cost? Or do you want to focus your Skills on buffing particular fortifications, making them more effective than before?

The tradeoff of the Engineer is their lack of personal firepower. They have no skills that boost personal damage, and rely entirely on Energy to keep their impact on the fight at its most effective.

Heavy:
Starting Weapons: Retro Lancer, Boomshot, Boltok
Passive Ability: Start with free Boomshot

The role of the Heavy is all about dealing big damage to enemies, through the use of more powerful explosive weaponry, Heavy weaponry, or Turrets.

The Heavy has some interesting options to mix-up gameplay. Focusing on taking down big targets fast? The Marked Damage boost makes you deal extra damage to marked enemies, allowing you to take down high priority targets market by your team. Need an emergency support button? Call in the Mortar Strike to decimate a number of enemies fast.

The tradeoff to the Heavy is the focus on bigger, slower weapons. While the Heavy class can deal large hits of damage to enemies, you’ll need to make sure you’re consistently stocked with ammo to have the most impact. And don’t miss!

Scout:
Starting Weapons: Retro Lancer, Gnasher, Snub
Passive Ability: Double Energy pickups during combat

The role of the Scout is to grab Energy mid-fight from across the battlefield, capitalizing on its passive bonus of Double Energy when picked up during combat to get resources back to the Fabricator. Combat wise, the Scouts Skills focus on close quarters shotgun combat.

The Scout can be built in a number of ways, from focusing on the Energy return, to recon for your team with X-Ray vision, and even to become a tanky powerful close quarters combatant.

The tradeoff to the Scout is the inherent risk that comes with the role. While powerful in the early stages, the Scout has a much tougher time gathering Energy in later waves when multiple poisons are active. The Scout needs to be played smartly, looking for opportunities rather than rushing out into the battlefield without careful surveillance.

Sniper:

Starting Weapons: Markza Mk. 1, Longshot, Snub
Passive Ability: Start with two marksman weapons

The Sniper is all about headshots and threat identification, using its long range weaponry to weaken or kill targets before they reach the defensive line.

The Sniper can attribute its bonus to any precision weapon, offering versatility on the battlefield. While you can take the Headshot damage boost, Markza focused players can take general damage boosts and reload speed to reduce the reliance on headshots and increase their DPS. The Sniper also has two unique Fabricator skills, either for eliminating targets en masse through a Sniper Strike or marking enemies with a Radar Ping.

The tradeoff to the Sniper is the reliance on precision. Especially with masses of enemies and under pressure, the Sniper’s damage per second can drop off if they aren’t consistently landing important shots. If both starting weapons are kept, enemies like Juvies are a much bigger threat to Snipers than any other Class.

Soldier:
Starting Weapons: Lancer, Gnasher, Snub
Passive Ability: Start with Frag Grenades

The Soldier is the ultimate in core Gears combat, dealing consistent damage over time with a variety of abilities that make them tough to kill and hard hitters.

The Soldier’s skills mostly focus on increasing your damage over time with assault rifles, either through bigger clips, more damage per shot, active bonuses, or a combination of those skills. The Soldier can increase its time firing from cover to damage opponents with the Cover Boost Skill or focus more on Grenades for area of effect damage or planting minefields. The big hitter in its skill arsenal is the Hammer of Dawn Strike, costing a lot of Energy to activate but dealing massive damage across the field.

The Soldier’s core combat focus means any build has few outstanding strengths or weaknesses, but Assault Rifles are the bread and butter of this class if you want to maximize its effectiveness on the battlefield.

tl;dr: You're not limited to what you can use in classes, but bonuses and perks will maximize your points, damage, defense, etc., seriously is still stupid, and quite possibly have 10 maps at launch?

Best gaming memory comes from Horde. We were playing in Insane and 4+ hours later at 3 a.m., we were on wave 50.

Only one of us was alive and every enemy was killed except for one of those damn centipedes. It chased my friend around the entire map as we all screamed in fear!

He finally got behind it and took it out after running around for 10 minutes.

I am so freaking hyped for this!

Femto.

Ugh, I hate how I'm waiting for scorpio to get to play this.

No way am I burning ~$400 for one game for a console I'll be rid of in a year.

Sounds fun as fuck.

Moofers

Yo, OP where you been? We learned all this at PAX over a week ago! Have you not seen the first to 50 gameplay videos? Go track em down on YouTube! Lots of good stuff to be seen!

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
i pre-ordered the gears of war 4 ultimate edition can't wait! please have Anthony carmine in multiplayer please :/

pitchfork

Sounds excellent, cant wait!

Also

Short on Horde comrades? We’re excited to share that we’ll also have individual difficulty matchmaking for Horde 3.0, rather than one set difficulty for matchmaking. We hope this will help friends find new allies to survive 50 waves of enemies at their preferred level of challenge. You can also invite your friends to join in progress should you lose an ally during the fight.
And for those of you who have asked, want to play Horde without Skills equipped? Go right ahead. Want to play without Fortifications? Can do. We’re putting the power in your hands to play Horde the way that you want. 
That's it for this week's Developer Blog. We have more to come between now and launch - stay tuned!

vort3x

I can't start a new thread so i'll just post here.

I preordered the digital copy from Bestbuy and got an email with the code to preload it today! Check your emails if you preordered the digital copy!

vort3x

If I hadn't played the beta I would have been skeptical but I am totally hyped for this game. Like super hyped. I am all aboard the gears hype wagon. And this is welcome news compared to all the news we were getting (or not getting) during Gears Judgement. That game...ugh

Bought my Xbox last week, gonna grab this on release! Is the Ultimate Collection in good shape? I haven't been following Xbox news at all but I kinda want to grab it to tide me over.

PhineasRed

Neo Member
Sounds excellent, cant wait!

Also

Nice find. especially this part:

"And for those of you who have asked, want to play Horde without Skills equipped? Go right ahead. Want to play without Fortifications? Can do. We’re putting the power in your hands to play Horde the way that you want."

The ability to customize the game like this huge for those of us with friends that find all the fortification building and upgrading too much of a pain.

pizzacat

Banned
There's not been a Gears of War that's released without a problem, no doubt this'll be no different...
I'm not getting the double negative right now but I'mma say gears 3s launch was perfection 👌🏻

I doubt they'll release a gears 2 in this day and age

I'm not getting the double negative right now but I'mma say gears 3s launch was perfection 👌🏻

I doubt they'll release a gears 2 in this day and age

Gears of War 3 was perfect for me at launch, but I think the way the game was balanced left people divided (even to this day).

Fast time to kill, powerful rifles, stopping power, the retro, sawed-off etc.

I agree it ran like a dream though. I do miss that game, I'm hoping Gears 4 can scratch that itch.

Bread

Banned
This sounds like the exact thing Gears needed to stay fresh. Gears and Halo have followed a really similar trajectory for me, I lost interest in campaigns but the refinements made to multiplayer are going to keep me coming back.

Can't wait to play horde, it sounds perfect.

I really hope the classes don't ruin this for me. Ill have to wait and see I guess. Still picking it up for PC for the campaign and MP at least.

My biggest concern though is MP in general on PC. I'd imagine most copies will be sold on XBO so Im not sure how long the PC MP community will last.

I'll see what I can find. If I can find it within me to justify it lol

I was set on the PC version until it was mentioned that cross-play would not include Multiplayer.

Cross-play between PC and Xbox includes all Cooperative modes, including campaign coop and Horde coop. Competitive multiplayer is the only thing excluded from Cross-play.

There's not been a Gears of War that's released without a problem, no doubt this'll be no different...
I popped Gears 3 in at midnight, played some campaign missions, and then instantly started up a match made session of Horde where we got all the way to wave 40 before we failed and everyone else bailed out (at 4am, lol). Fuckin' Lambent Zerker that no one knew how to kill lol

I'd say it was a pretty solid release, at least for me.

Mupod

can't read the actual thing here but is there some kind of persistent leveling system? I don't like that in my competitive shooters but it's nice in my mindless wave defense games (KF, ME3).

I popped Gears 3 in at midnight, played some campaign missions, and then instantly started up a match made session of Horde where we got all the way to wave 40 before we failed and everyone else bailed out (at 4am, lol). Fuckin' Lambent Zerker that no one knew how to kill lol

I'd say it was a pretty solid release, at least for me.

Huh?

I own all 4 games and only 2 launched with issues, which were strictly confined to multiplayer.

Gears of War was/is plagued with glitches (which were half the fun back in the day) and Gears of War 2 was broken for a long time.

Gears of War 3 launched with different issues, not technical. However, game balance isn't an exact science and what I think plays well others might disagree with.

Judgment actually launched cleanly and had the best balance of all four games... it just wasn't really Gears of War.

Leyasu

Banned
"Shit yeah" Can't wait for this. I love horde.

As others have said everything sounds so good lately. Can't wait to play this on dedicated servers as well...

Leyasu

Banned
Weapons Locker
Weapons Lockers allow you to store weaponry from round to round, and will slowly refill the weapon’s ammo reserves. Smart teams will put rare high damage weapons into these Lockers to use whenever things get hairy. Later variations add more slots per Weapons Locker to be utilized.

I'm one smiling motherfucker after reading this.

Top Bottom