• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - Rise of the Horde drops June 6th

Theorry

From Reddit yesterday.

"We'll be providing a clearer heads up once the details are finalized in the coming days, but we're actually compressing all existing patch content with this update in order to tackle Gears 4's Hard Drive footprint.
This makes the TU a bigger download than usual, but the overall size will be significantly reduced once you install. This applies to both Xbox One and Windows 10."

Horde is by far my favourite mode in Gears 4 and I still fit in a few rounds at least once a week. This update seems pretty Epic, looking forward to it.

Theorry

This is gonna be fun also haha.

There’s even more reason to play this June with the debut of a brand new Versus Special Event: Golden Gun. This custom-built mode arms you with one bullet and a hip-fire only Boltok – land your bullet to instantly return it to the gun, otherwise prepare for the longest reload of your life. It’s the ultimate game of Gears chicken, and we can’t wait to see fans get hands on this month.

Falchion

Looks awesome. I just beat Gears 2 the other week so now I just need to play through 3 and Judgement before I buy this one.

pizzacat

Banned
They need to stop making some boxes so exclusive. The wrestler oscar is insanely rare, come to think of t I don't even think he was a box probably a promo, but even then some of this is too hard to track and keep a collection of, especially when some cards don't appear unless you have them unlocked

This is also the update that takes off zombie voice lines and replaces them with regular ones right? I can finally use that gears 3 dom then.

Ranked crossplay is a god send too, been practicing in warm up and it feels like I'm playing against people of my own skill level.

Can't wait. Do season pass owners get something early besides maps

malfcn

I do wish the achievements were not all horde or did Ultra hard. Some of those already have a 1% unlock rate.

low-G

Game before this patch is already 126GB installed on PC...

I think it's pretty good but there's no way I can keep it installed. Will have to play it on X1 only.

Is this worth the SSD space for a reinstall?

No, I don't personally think so. I think my time with Gears 4 has come and gone and this doesn't look like it will change that.

Natiko

Banned
I feel like they're trolling at this point with the map remakes. They've consistently ignored the series' best maps. I understand wanting to get some more of the unexpected remakes in but at some point they should give in and bring back a couple more of the most iconic ones.

Sky87

I see no reason for them to still not support join-in-progress for Horde, maybe a separate playlist. If people disconnect for whatever reason, you're pretty much guaranteed to lose the rest as well. Nobody has patience these days.

I know there are certain challenges for Horde, like reaching wave 30. Those could easily be changed to something else, like ''complete 30 waves''.

the greatest multiplayer tps on earth gets better. seems like they are sort of addressing one of my major complaints with the game, the characters lack the personality of previous entries, they hardly say anything whereas previously cole would be yelling out 'cole train runs on whole grain baby' or some stupid shit <<<that was awesome and we need more of it. i really loved the headshot dialogue 'look ma..no face' or carmine shouting 'thats what i live for!!' or baird 'oh im sorry, did i blow your head off?'

''Updated all Zombie Characters to use standard character dialogue
Zombie Characters will now only say “Braaaaaains!” when landing a headshot
Fixed an issue that caused headshot character dialogue to fire more rarely than intended
Majorly reduced ‘killstreak’ dialogue. Increased frequency of original character dialogue for 3 and 4 kills in a row.''

THE COALITION, IF U ARE READING THIS, PLEASE ADD MORE CHARACTER DIALOGUE, MAKE IT LIKE THE PREVIOUS GEARS GAME

gameplay wise i dont really have any complaints with the game, it is fukin amazing. really miss the digger from gears 3 and hammerburst being single shot + scope but these are minor stuff.

I feel like they're trolling at this point with the map remakes. They've consistently ignored the series' best maps. I understand wanting to get some more of the unexpected remakes in but at some point they should give in and bring back a couple more of the most iconic ones.

i've liked the maps they have added, i personally don't like maps being on rotation but i have 0 complaints with the quality of maps they have added though i have always hated security. what maps do u wana see anyway? personally like gears 1/3 maps the best, would love raven down

Blood Drive - classic gears 2
Checkout - instant classic gears 3
Clocktower - classic gears 1
Dawn - good new map
Diner - good new map
Drydock - very good gears 3
Glory - meh
Hotel - good gears 3
Impact Dark - very good, fog completely changes the way the map is played
Old Town - very good gears 3
Security - shit
Speyer - pretty good new map
The Slab - great gears 3
War Machine - classic gears 1

So they nerfed Turrets...but didn't buff anything else?

This is one of the most disappointing parts of the update.

Everything sounds good, but yo, I work hard as an engineer to get my turrets up. I play my role faithfully, but all it takes is a brainless team not knowing how to kite mobs when a Carrier or Snatcher shows up and all my defenses, including those expensive new nerfed turrets, go up in smoke.

Also, anybody see anything about map voting? Because having that in Horde would be really, REALLY nice.

Natiko

Banned
i've liked the maps they have added, i personally don't like maps being on rotation but i have 0 complaints with the quality of maps they have added though i have always hated security. what maps do u wana see anyway? personally like gears 1/3 maps the best, would love raven down

Blood Drive - classic gears 2
Checkout - instant classic gears 3
Clocktower - classic gears 1
Dawn - good new map
Diner - good new map
Drydock - very good gears 3
Glory - meh
Hotel - good gears 3
Impact Dark - very good, fog completely changes the way the map is played
Old Town - very good gears 3
Security - shit
Speyer - pretty good new map
The Slab - great gears 3
War Machine - classic gears 1
I don't necessarily dislike most of the remake maps (outside of Dry Dock). I would have picked Canals, Fuel Depot, and Raven Down over a lot of their picks though.

Trup1aya

I may be asking a lot but- I own Gears, but haven't been able to spend much time in Horde.

From a QOL and from a gameplay standpoint how does this patch improve the Horde experience. Does it seem like they're addressing commen complaints?

Papacheeks

Banned
Kind of disappointing update to a mode I'v spent hundreds of hours in. Wish new enemies were added especially since in the campaign there's locusts, and what not. Like how do you not add more enemy types to keep people playing?

I'v already maxed out each character and new skills with the same enemies to fight in a harder difficulty is not making me want to jump back in.

I am Disappoint.

dugdug

Banned
I really need to put more time into Horde. I played an ass-load of competitive, but, every time I'd switch over to Horde, the 30 FPS really threw me off.

I hope the next Gears brings back OverRun. That mode is way more interesting than Horde imo.
I never got into it. I played 1 multiplayer match of judgement and dropped it.

A lot of the Classic maps look incredible in Gears 4. However the overpowered rifles ruin them. Gridlock is a shit show at higher level play.

Constant lancer and hammer crossing makes the game pretty boring. At least in core anyways

Moofers

Kind of disappointing update to a mode I'v spent hundreds of hours in. Wish new enemies were added especially since in the campaign there's locusts, and what not. Like how do you not add more enemy types to keep people playing?

I'v already maxed out each character and new skills with the same enemies to fight in a harder difficulty is not making me want to jump back in.

I am Disappoint.

I hear ya. I'm of two minds about it and one of them feels exactly like this. The other says let's see how these new skills shake things up. I think they are just what the doctor ordered for expanding the ways people play each class, or in the case of the Sniper, making the class more viable in general.

Its great to see the Soldier class get two new cards for grenade based players. Grenades were already the best part of the Soldier class, but it was hard as hell to keep them stocked. I'd purposely die just to get 7 more grenades upon respawn.

I'm really pleased about the new skills, however I do wish they had just done what everyone has wanted since launch and introduced the Locust to Horde again. Gears 3 stands as a shining example of how enemy diversity absolutely carries the mode more than anything.

FingerBang

I am downloading this game today and it's 125GB on Windows. Luckily I have a fast connection, but DAMN.

Well, good to know it's still being supported.

Tyguy

Banned
I think it's about time I reinstall this game. I barely made my way through the campaign before upgrading my pc and didn't bother reinstalling it. When I wrap up rise of the tomb raider i'll give this game another shot.

Moofers

I am downloading this game today and it's 125GB on Windows. Luckily I have a fast connection, but DAMN.

Its that size because you are re-downloading the entire thing in order for the overall size to be smaller. They've compressed everything down to make sure it takes up less space on your HDD.

Theorry

They just released this.

Hello Gears fans!

When we release today's massive Rise of the Horde update for Gears of War 4, you may notice your download is noticeably bigger than usual.

We've heard your feedback on the Hard Drive footprint of Gears of War 4 being quite substantial. Over the past few months, we've been working on a new compression technique to dramatically reduce the overall file size of Gears of War 4 and to provide smaller sized downloads for future Updates. In order to reduce our file size for all the Updates since release, you'll be downloading all our Updates again as one larger Update with Rise of the Horde - but the end result will be a much smaller overall game size than before.

For those of you up to date on Update downloads, the Update will be the following size:

Xbox One: 24.5GB
Windows 10: 29GB

Following installation of this Update, the overall size of Gears of War 4 will be:

Xbox One: 78.5GB
Windows 10: 93GB

Thanks for your patience with this one-time larger download - you'll be playing Rise of the Horde in no time!

The Coalition

Tyguy

Banned
Do we know how much space gears of war 4 takes up now?

Edit: Never mind, answered right before I posted this.

Tyguy

Banned
I have twp 256 GB ssd's and one 512 GB ssd. I may pickup another one if I can find one cheap. I definitely want to pickup an M.2 ssd in the near future as well. All of these games take up a ridiculous amount of space.

Top Bottom