• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: Judgment to have a new Horde mode

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Ah, I thought this would be about new confirmed news, I saw this sometime ago when I was looking for info.

I was really mad initially about the crazy changes with Judgment, but I'm really looking forward to the Free For All, which will be great when I want to play solo, and I want to at least see what the new Domination mode will be like. I'm getting impatient with waiting on new info though, I guess they were crunching till the end without time for media work.

No need to repeat the things that were already said with the disappointing changes, but epic acknowledged that the game isn't a main Gears title so they're taking these crazy risks to experiment.

JB1981

agree with all of this,

When Gears plays out in more tight and close spaces the gameplay really does shine (Think Warmachine in GOW1, Checkout in GOW3 and even Secuirity in GOW2 ) rifles have always been very useful and necessarily but EPIC are honestly pissed at how some players have gotten really good with the shotgun and are always thinking of ways to OP rifles, this thought process has imo screwed with EPIC's perception of balance and hence why they are making dumb choices

but in all seriousness the Gnasher has always been counterable with the Rifles since GOW1, in every title, but players who are novices will continually die alot if they dont understand the mechanics

with all this said, they just dont want to embrace what Gears of War Truly is.

The main problem with gnasher play is that wall-bouncing effectively cancels out lancer/rifle damage. Wall bouncing certainly takes skill but it also leads to a ton of frustration on the part of more casual players who have not mastered this skill so it seems Epic attempted to counter this frustration with more powerful rifles and the sawed-off shotgun. Unfortunately wall-bouncing is a mechanic that is built into the game design/cover system so it is a legit tactic. Now that PCF have removed Stopping Power, wall-bouncing will be even more prevalent in GOW: J. I still can't believe you can't spawn with a lancer/gnasher combo. That is a very bone-headed decision.

Having said all that Overrun seems like a logical iteration/progression on Beast mode and I am glad that both sides will now be player controlled. I also think it's kind of cool that regular VS TDM will be Cog vs Cog. I always wanted to play as Cog and I bet this is one fan request that legitimately added into the game.

GOWJ is such a slap in the face to all GOW fans who loved the multiplayer, seriously.

No Locust (its now Red vs Blue humans?)
No DBNO (Down but not out)
No Execution or Warzone MP Modes
Class based MP, all designed around Call of Duty style maps with players falling off building ledges, its also going to be heavily rifle dominated.
*Edit* No Gnasher and Lancer Loadout combination as their both primarys, secondary switches to pistol. *
*Edit* No Curb Stomp and all Execution moves now taken out of the MP *

way more to list, really disappointed as GOW3 was amazing and taking the MP in the right direction .

In my videogame life, I see this as a heart breaker. I wasn't too excited about the game in the first place, but they have gutted this iteration of the GOW franchise. I am sure to keep my money from heading their way.

Is this a result of the exodus of talent from Epic, i.e. Cliffy B and Capp or is it merely coincidental?

+1 for me. I have enjoyed Horde on Gears 2 and 3 very much and spent sometimes from 10 PM till 6:30 AM with my xbox friends.
Saw some videos on youtube, and I am looking forward for the game.

I will buy this game on day 1.
xbox live tag<swordsman360>

In my videogame life, I see this as a heart breaker. I wasn't too excited about the game in the first place, but they have gutted this iteration of the GOW franchise. I am sure to keep my money from heading their way.

Is this a result of the exodus of talent from Epic, i.e. Cliffy B and Capp or is it merely coincidental?

I dont understand why people have such a problem with them trying new things with this game. It is a new dev and it isnt a mainline game. I am glad they are giving us something different. If I want to play regular Gears I can always go play 3. I want something different with this game, and we know that Gears 4 wont be to far behind the new Xbox and it will be way more traditional with its mp. I just watched a FFA video and it looks like it is going to be a ton of fun. I really think people should give this game a chance before deciding it will definitely suck.

JB1981

I dont understand why people have such a problem with them trying new things with this game. It is a new dev and it isnt a mainline game. I am glad they are giving us something different. If I want to play regular Gears I can always go play 3. I want something different with this game, and we know that Gears 4 wont be to far behind the new Xbox and it will be way more traditional with its mp. I just watched a FFA video and it looks like it is going to be a ton of fun. I really think people should give this game a chance before deciding it will definitely suck.

If Gears 3 dedicated servers are migrated to Judgment than I will not be a very happy camper.

Stat!

GOWJ is such a slap in the face to all GOW fans who loved the multiplayer, seriously.

Class based MP, all designed around Call of Duty style maps with players falling off building ledges, its also going to be heavily rifle dominated.
*Edit* No Gnasher and Lancer Loadout combination as their both primarys, secondary switches to pistol. *

way more to list, really disappointed as GOW3 was amazing and taking the MP in the right direction .

Wow. I didn't think it was that bad. Talk about killing a franchise. I mean ,a lot of those are really just - I mean, it's literally no longer Gears of War multiplayer. DBNO, Executions, Execution Mode, Gnasher vs Lancer is what made Gears unique. I still remember seeing the Curb Stomp for the first time and thinking how cool it was to taunt your opponent that way.

JimiNutz

Banned
I never really played much Horde in 2 or 3. Every time I tried in 3 we'd get wave 15 or so and just as it starts getting good people dropped out...

Hopefully that's fixed for Judgement.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Holy fuck, this might be worse than Gears 2 MP, if that is even possible. No way am I giving money to help them destroy one of my favorite franchises.

Bailey 87

DBNO is still in the game, but only in the overrun mode. Also Execution is still in the game it comes with the free dlc which releases on the 2nd April.

I'm still excited for this game, gears is one of my favourite series (I still play gears of war 3) but some of the choices PCF have made makes me shake my head.

here are some of the bad choices I think they've made:

The semi automatic sniper rifle is a starting weapon. The gun looks so overpowered and having it as a starting weapons is just crazy.

The sawed off can fire 2 shots before being reloaded. Everyone knows the sawed off is a terrible weapon that almost ruined gears, so making it stronger is just wrong.

Only 4 maps for TDM/FFA. Shipping the game with 4 multiplayer maps (overrun has 4 of it's own maps) is too low. Yes PCF are releasing DLC 2 weeks after launch and that comes with 2 extra maps but the game needs more. I'm hoping the game comes with a code to download some gears 1 maps. (Gridlock, canals, fuel depot, rooftops, escalation)

Now the game is not all bad, some of the choices they've made will make it better than some aspects of gears 3.

Stopping power is removed. I'm so glad they have removed stopping power, gears is all about gnasher battles and removing stopping power will hopefully make the game feel more like gears 1.

PCF removed grenade tagging. I hate grenade tagging it promotes camping. Some players will just tag the wall and camp at the other entrance with the sawed off and pick off players who are roadie running.

Active reload damage buff has been removed. This change is my favourite change by far. Gone are the days of people firing into the wall at the start of the round. No more super shells in the shotgun. I'm so happy :)

Armour customisation. I love my pink shotty in gears 3 and I'm going to love my all pink armour to go with it :p

As you can see from my post. I love gears and I still have faith that this game can be as good as gears 3.

Here's a new video of overrun, a mode I think will be one of the best modes in the gears series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2F8d8mrH1I

JimiNutz

Banned

Is any of this actually true?

- I have seen video footage of Locuts in MP.
- I have also seen video footage of executions. I thought DBNO was only removed from certain modes (such as free for all - which makes perfect sense).
- Pretty sure they announced Execution just the other day.
- The class based MP is restricted to one MP mode (Overrun), not all modes.

Maybe Epic/MS have done a really poor job of advertising the game, but I'm not sure if any of the above statements are actually true or not.....

-PXG-

At least we still have Execution...amirite?

as free DLC though

Gimme Gnasher start and COG vs Locust and I'll be happy.

Top Bottom